Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Sirstancullis

Reaction score
The tweaks klopp made weren’t even high intelligence tweaks…… like Brighton and palace they attack either side of the right back and flood the other side forcing the CB into making high pressure calls that are seemingly wrong more often than right……

If we had gone back 5, taken nelson off and a forward brought on DOC and Toti, I think we see that game out

If, if, if. If cunha had an eye for goal (a lopetegui signing by the way) all of this is academic as the game is won at half-time.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, but the chances and momentum sways from our goals would have been in the first half. Meaning that one of the misses wouldn’t have broken up the rate or consecutive nature of the three Liverpool goals as all our chances were first half.

As I said, if cunha misses at 1:1 or when it was 1:2 I 100% agree.

But it wasnt
That momentum may not have come if we were 2-0 up. Being behind by 1 goal is psychologically totally different to being 2 down

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
If, if, if. If cunha had an eye for goal (a lopetegui signing by the way) all of this is academic as the game is won at half-time.
If that was true then it would be fine. You win some, you lose some and sometimes missed chances are costly. However, in my humble opinion, we would not have won even at 2-0 up because we would still have been sent out with the same daft tactics for the second half. That's the scary bit.

martin120863

Reaction score
The reality I’m afraid is the appointment is naive in the extreme and it’s on Hobbs.

To set up so deep at the start of the second half after dominating the first was criminal and the early double substitution was baffling in the extreme. (Doc looked as confused as the rest of us)

O’Neil is a novice manager which cannot be disputed and he shouldn’t be serving his apprenticeship in the Premier league at our risk and expense

The succession plan should be in place already
- Potter immediately for me.

This won’t end well and until we appoint an experienced football savvy CEO the cycle will continue until sooner or later we’ll be relegated.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That momentum may not have come if we were 2-0 up. Being behind by 1 goal is psychologically totally different to being 2 down
Fresh half, means both teams started with a fresh chance to take control of the game.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find the use of Semedo a bit strange.

He had one of those games where he was ‘on it’ going forwards. But his defensive play was awful.

Didn’t help that he basically doubled up at CB with Dawson, leaving their left side wide open. I can only think that was a GON tactic due to Dawsons lack of pace against Gakpo and Jota?

We get absolutely rinsed down that right hand side every game.

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
Which is awfully strange as we've had really strict managers who did not let the players express themselves - we have been tied to a system since promotion with zero flair.

So why are these players suddenly ignoring the managers instructions and doing their own thing??
We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but any squad full of players who have played at the highest level for their clubs and countries, may just be thinking (possibly) the current management team is not really what they are used to.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shooting practice all week until their feet bleed, and seek some advice around what to say to players at half time please.

Sirstancullis

Reaction score
If that was true then it would be fine. You win some, you lose some and sometimes missed chances are costly. However, in my humble opinion, we would not have won even at 2-0 up because we would still have been sent out with the same daft tactics for the second half. That's the scary bit.

Good. You're opinion thinks we wouldn't have won if we were 2 nil up at half-time, my opinion thinks we would. I actually think we should have been 3 nil up at half time to increase those odds.

Don't get me wrong i'm not an o'neil apologist and think we have massively downgraded from loppy, but goals change games and you have to score when you're on top. However we have no strength in depth due to the Fosun firesale. The negativety 2nd half was dissapointing but we had loads of negativety last season from Loppy. There were matches where it was attack vs defence, but at least we took our chances last season unlike today and managed to win matches.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shouldn't bother playing the first half then, has no influence on the outcome
Hahaha, what a nonsensical comeback…….

You need to control more of the total game, but the second half is a fresh restart point as neither side has forward or backward momentum from the second half kick off

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hahaha, what a nonsensical comeback…….

You need to control more of the total game, but the second half is a fresh restart point as neither side has forward or backward momentum from the second half kick off
What's nonsensical is the idea that being 2 up has no affect on how the rest of the game will go

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's nonsensical is the idea that being 2 up has no affect on how the rest of the game will go
It does, but they were so dominant second half they would have still gotten three.

It is delusional to think we win or draw that game even with a 2:0 second half lead.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does, but they were so dominant second half they would have still gotten three.

It is delusional to think we win or draw that game even with a 2:0 second half lead.
But you don't know that they would've been as dominant. You don't know psychologically how being 2 down would've affected their players

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely but in the context of what he said its pretty clear he blames Lopetegui:

"That is just the way they have been playing for an awful long time. So, trying to take that unpredictability out as much as we can until we get to the final third"
Let's be very clear. In managerial terms if JL is B list GON is barely F list. If he thinks otherwise then he is deluded as well as totally and utterly out of his depth.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently ''They play quite loosely and go off and do their own things'' Hmm...dumping on the players is never a good sign. Particularly when you are a manager who has never achieved anything in management.
Didn't actually achieve anything much as a player either. The archetypical journeyman.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hold on a second. That first half was as good as any we have played in the premier league since we stuffed arsenal.

We have sold 120m of players this season and our previous manager spat his dummy out because he couldn’t spend the millions he wanted to be mid table.

We were ****ing good today. But we brought on Silva and our pace dropped. They changed things and their pace upped.

GON is a very respected coach. He wasn’t my choice but I will say if we play like that every week we will be fine and we will be a good watch GON needs to realise silva is ok in a 2 up top but is no more a lone striker than Sa

Sa must ****kng concentrate. His brain fart today cost us dearly.

Liverpool are class. No disgrace st all today in fact very proud how we took the game to a team who none of our first choice 11 would start in.

We have more than enough about us to stay up and bloody plenty of noses. Keep up the attacking philosophy and we will get plenty of points

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's far worse than Lage .
Is he *******s

We never had a first half like that under Lage

We had 7 in and around the box on one attack. Unheard of !

We ran out of puff in midfield and their quality told. We should have been three up but didn’t deserve the win. A draw would have been spot on but they had the breaks, Dust down move on beat Luton

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is he *******s

We ran out of puff in midfield and their quality told. We should have been three up but didn’t deserve the win. A draw would have been spot on but they had the breaks, Dust down move on beat Luton
He really is , what and see.

The 2nd half setup eas schoolboy stuff.

T

TheConcourse

Is he *******s

This is desperate stuff.

We actually thumped United at home for 90 minutes under Bruno, and I’m pretty sure we battered Spurs too. We were also the far better side on day 1 away to Leicester in the second half.

You don’t just run out of puff. Your coaching team analyse the game/players and make a decision on how to approach the game.

It was obvious to anyone with eyes that they couldn’t sustain that level of pressing from the first half. They tactically ran out of puff and we decided to soak up pressure, but left huge gaps.

The spaces in the second half were ridiculous.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently ''They play quite loosely and go off and do their own things'' Hmm...dumping on the players is never a good sign. Particularly when you are a manager who has never achieved anything in management.
To be fair, Joao Gomes said as much in the week in that he does his own thing when he can’t understand what he’s being told.

But yea, hopefully Gary hasn’t jumped on that to throw players under the bus.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like I said when he first got interviewed…… he is like the guy from Southampton last season…..

“Me me me, I did it” when it is good

“They/them/previous managers fault” when it doesn’t.

We had a much better defensive record than Bournemouth last season I thought? Definitely a better home record under JL…..

he needs to go and needs to go now, he is dangerously deluded about his own level of ability.
We’ve conceded more goals in the last two home games than all Lopeteguis home games.

Monswolf

Reaction score
Sorry but he is simply not good enough or experienced enough at this stage of his career

All the mentions of the resemblance to Nathan Jones at Southapton last year are spot on in my opinion

Let’s just hope unlike the saints board who did nothing until it was too late that Fosun act sooner rather than later

Back
Top Bottom