Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor management that to bring Traore on and effectively looking to see out a 1-1 on the 71st minute.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Watching (admittedly only MOTD highlights) noticeable how quickly other cubs spring from defence to attack. We tend to labour and it's painful to watch at times. Terrible defending and I'm genuinely looking forward to hearing / reading of the Silva / Boubs switch? There are no gimmes in this league (including the 3 promoted clubs) and I'm slightly concerned after the last minute optimism of the deadline day.

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
Wouldn’t say the players look disinterested but more clueless. No shape, no pattern to our play, utter shambolic.

GON might come across well in interviews etc, but there’s a reason for that, covering up for incompetence and ineptitude at this level.

I’m sure he’d be more suited to league 1 as he needs to gain more experience as the Prem is way above his capabilities.

Hopefully he is thought of as just a stop gap manager within the higher echelons of the board?

Thanks but no thanks Gary.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone I was watching with said the same.

Semedo was entering liability mode and Silva was totally anonymous all game.

Worrying that he can't see that.
Semedo was good first half, then they started picking on him as soon as the second half started.

Doc should have come on at the 50 min mark.

Fabio off at half time for sasa

And sarabia off at half time for hwang.

Those subs at those times would have made a massive difference to The flow of the game.

New Bueno needs to come in straight after the international break.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same questions will be asked when a new manager comes along like the last 3.

We know this team rolls over when it gets tough. Been the same for years now.

Hopefully Bueno, Jean and Doyle can add abit of *******s to the team.

T

TheConcourse

So I've watched a screen no commentary, something was in his mind when he did Boubs for Fabio. None of us (I assume) are Premier League coaches, but maybe someone can explain what was in his mind? Something more than, we're happy with a point surely?
Has to be the only thing on his mind. Game was there for us and he fancies a point.

Last edited by a moderator:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn’t say the players look disinterested but more clueless. No shape, no pattern to our play, utter shambolic.

GON might come across well in interviews etc, but there’s a reason for that, covering up for incompetence and ineptitude at this level.

I’m sure he’d be more suited to league 1 as he needs to gain more experience as the Prem is way above his capabilities.

Hopefully he is thought of as just a stop gap manager within the higher echelons of the board?

Thanks but no thanks Gary.
I said when he was first appointed and his press conferences he is an almost identical clone of the clown he doomed southampton……

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had just got back in the game. He then took off a striker for a midfielder. We concede. He then brings on a striker for a midfielder.
Utterly, utterly clueless. He can't go soon enough for me, but the club will probably leave it too late and we'll already be so far adrift that we will go down anyway. Falling out with and getting rid of Lopetegui will prove to be a very false economy, mark my words. Yes he was an awkward bugger but he knew what he was doing, unlike O'Neil.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hopefully the new signings can give the midfield a bit of oomph. It needs it.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I know we shouldn't start thinking these things so early, but can't help wondering if he'll be GON by Xmas - and we'll be in another desperate survival situation.

I think our only hope is that Sasa quickly gets fit (and stays fit) enough to start games, and our CB partnership is sorted - I'm not sure if that means giving Dawson the armband or dropping him for the new guy... Oh and hopefully one of the new guys is the next Messi.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure what his tactics are

We press well first half

Then stand off second half

We don’t play with wingers

Time to move to a back 5 or bring back NUNO

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know we shouldn't start thinking these things so early, but can't help wondering if he'll be GON by Xmas - and we'll be in another desperate survival situation.

I think our only hope is that Sasa quickly gets fit (and stays fit) enough to start games, and our CB partnership is sorted - I'm not sure if that means giving Dawson the armband or dropping him for the new guy... Oh and hopefully one of the new guys is the next Messi.
We should not put hope in one player it is a team game

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wasting everyone’s time with this appointment.
Get a goal back and what do we do ffs

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fluked a win against Everton and that will be his epitaph.

I genuinely do not see us winning another game (league or cup) until December. The games against Luton and Bournemouth already loom like cup finals and he will bottle both of them. The team looks disinterested, confused and unprepared.

My guess is he goes after the Bournemouth or Newcastle games.

Shi is still the real problem at Wolves, but our Gary is hopeless.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a baffling sub that was, take a forward off and replace him with a defensive mf why didn't he put Sasa on with cunha off. Awful from o'neil
Was made all the more ridiculous by the fact none of our 3 defensive midfielders seemed to be able to defend from that moment onwards.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got a feeling we might ride it out with him in the hope he comes good. I think a manager deserves at least 10 games, but I'll admit that the more I see the more sceptical I'm getting about his ability.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps change the thread title to Gash O'Neils Tactics.

Or for brevity, perhaps just

Gash Tactics

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We looked like a load of choir boys being managed by the vicar playing the secondary school bullies coached by the seemingly nice Mr Woy

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
That’s the thing the change could’ve worked and we could’ve taken control of the game and won, O’Neil is a genius. It didn’t work so he’s a moron.
Yes, but that was my question really. I mean anything you do might work by total fluke, but was there really a plan to it? I think if something goes wrong but the fans can see the idea, then you get a pass, but if everyone thinks it looks bizarre and it goes wrong, then you look like an idiot. We've seen it often with the 'go to a back 3 with 10 minutes left' mentality for a example, sometimes works, not always. Before the game I'd have taken a point, but the best way to get it was still to cause them problems. Sasa for Silva was surely the obvious one?

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems like a repeat of conversations of Nunos end, Bruno tenure and Julens!

Our players are overrated to ****.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'd approach the 3 promoted sides and ask for a manager swap. They'd **** themselves laughing.

It's season 6 in the PL for us.

If we get 20 points, I'd be amazed.

Back
Top Bottom