Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Breaking a press means you either go over the top and win, or have skillful players who can break you out and then keep the tempo. Wolves have a lot of good, skillful players, but then the ball comes to Fabio or something and the move is gone. Time to get pressed again.

If you have even one weak link in a press break, it's brutal...as Brighton showed.

That said, it's the kind of thing where the manager can make a big difference.
I agree with this. But our last 3 managers have not been able to avoid it. I can't remember far enough back to remember if we struggled on it under Nuno. I think we did, especially the last year or so.

Luckily, most teams either aren't fit enough for the constant press to stay on or just don't use that style of play, or we'd be in big trouble haha.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The way we're going in getting rid of players the only tactic Gazza the Gaffa will need is counting up to 11...

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
In the sense that if he doesn’t start he’ll be sold by Friday.
Just mental to imagine we could sell Nunes and Boubacar in the last week of the window. Surely that couldn't happen? Lemina-Gomes-Hodge for CM when the first two will be lucky to get to 10 games without suspension?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we need to revert to 5 3 2 for now. That means getting in a quality CB pronto. Our full backs are really wing backs - all four of them. Play to their strengths don't lay bare their weaknesses.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we need to revert to 5 3 2 for now. That means getting in a quality CB pronto. Our full backs are really wing backs - all four of them. Play to their strengths don't lay bare their weaknesses.
Always was the way. Our centre backs and goalkeeper aren't able to "play it out from the back" either. How long do we insist they keep trying to do so?

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully this works wonders for the forwards, especially the two strikers. Sasa could be the real deal, if he stays fit.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Delighted for him (and us obviously) tonight, good to see him really appreciating the support he got from the South Bank at the end. Really hope he proves the doubters (me included) wrong. I didn't think the 3 ATB worked though (I know that sounds laughable after a 5-0), against any half decent PL team we'd have got destroyed down the middle, (admittedly maybe not so much with Lemina and Gomes, but still).

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
I think that a back three might be good for certain teams/matches. Glad to see him trying it out. With Doc in the RWB role and RAN in the LWB position, we really should have that formation in our back pocket...

I think that Lemina and Gomes are much, much more mobile than when we had Neves and Mouts as the two midfielders...

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great to see Doc back in the team. I said in the last two comms threads that Doc should come on as he brings an attacking edge to the team. Something that Semedo doesn’t have.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Great to see Doc back in the team. I said in the last two comms threads that Doc should come on as he brings an attacking edge to the team. Something that Semedo doesn’t have.
They couldn’t have been more prototypical Doc strikes either: back post header and ghosting underlap near post strike! Makes one smile don’t it?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's such a unit (while still having some good technique) that I fancy him to bundle a few in.

I think a lot of his movement has been pretty good too.
He reminds me a bit of Chris Iwelumo, another big unit that scuffed a few in off unusual bits of his anatomy. But very effective.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's such a unit (while still having some good technique) that I fancy him to bundle a few in.

I think a lot of his movement has been pretty good too.
Has he got " good feet for a big man "?
He's nearly caught Silva up already,,let's hope he stays fit, he could be our saving grace

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t see the game.
How did those that did feel it worked with doc in the back 3? I’m a big advocate of a 3 but not sure I’d peg Doc as a regular option in there?
I’m wondering if he was given a bit of a marauding licence there, making runs past the midfielders? Bit like Sheffield Utd did for a while under wilder??

RedFlagWolf

Reaction score
I didn’t see the game.
How did those that did feel it worked with doc in the back 3? I’m a big advocate of a 3 but not sure I’d peg Doc as a regular option in there?
I’m wondering if he was given a bit of a marauding licence there, making runs past the midfielders? Bit like Sheffield Utd did for a while under wilder??
Doc did fine in the back three, although to be balanced they were not put under constant threat.

When Jonny was moved into the three and Doc moved to wing-back, we saw a significant attacking improvement however.

The impressive element was the flexibility that GON appeared to have implemented, it was a 3/4/5 dependent on state of play. Traore’s mobility in midfield assisted greatly.

Others have mentioned Sarabia, but it cannot be underestimated how influential and immense he was….absolute control and a joy to watch!

Whilst giving out positive vibes and platitudes, I thought the South Bank last night were great….real morale boosting choices…..Oh Fabio Silva after he scored was loud and proud and the GON chant at end was a perfect finale to promote group unity at a challenging time! You could see the appreciation from manager and players!

Bostin stuff!

Rowzed

Reaction score
Sarabia oozes quality without ego, and is the perfect supplier for forwards. Must be some adjustment for him from PSG where he had Neymar Mbappe and Messi in a team that routinely won the league. He is doing just great. Also needs two strikers ahead of him so he can choose a pass. He seems ideal to play just deep to the big unit and a live wire pair up front.

it’s a real pity that Nunes has kept him out of the team but I imagine that was so he ( and possibly Neto ) could be in the shop window without it being too obvious they were to be sold come what may.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’m a big advocate of a 3 but not sure I’d peg Doc as a regular option in there?
GON wanted to get a look at him in the role in the first half. Knows he is really a WB, but CB is very thin at the moment. He mentioned it post-match apparently.

Screenshot_20230830-073651-259.png

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was appalled at GON's appointment and like many said so on here. After 4 games my view is certainly tempered and my appraisal now would be - steady start in very difficult circumstances. He's impressed me so far in that he's prepared to get the players going forward; there always seem to be 4 or 5 players in and around the box now. He already has a knack of picking pretty much the team that we on here during the week would select. That tends to keep us fans happy. He's impressed me in that he's prepared to play 2 up top and that he's prepared to look at different formations and players in different positions, eg Doc and RAN. I never thought he'd see Xmas at Molineux but early indications are that perhaps he will?

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reverting to a back three would at least mean Semedo being on the bench because no sane person is picking him over Doc. As before, IF we go to a back three the pressure is fully on the wing backs to be creative in the final third.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see GON using 3atb or 4atb depending on the opposition.
If you've got the players then that makes sense. I think you've got to be a pretty astute and tactically aware manager to change formations mid-game though GON has shown he is willing to try this.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reverting to a back three would at least mean Semedo being on the bench because no sane person is picking him over Doc. As before, IF we go to a back three the pressure is fully on the wing backs to be creative in the final third.
You could play with the right wingback a bit more conservative and the left wingback having more freedom. Which might suit semedo & RAN. Almost mirror of the old Jonny & Doc.

Back
Top Bottom