Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nunes to City

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it was normal circumstances, I.e. not with 4 days left in the window, and without knowing the market rate for midfielders has been set with the price of Rice and Caicedo at £110m each, then yes I would agree £40-50m would have been fair.

Taking all of the above into context, the price should absolutely be £70-80 million. We know Man City have that money as they offered £80m for Paqueta before his gambling issues came to light.

If we take 60 million euros (£51m), which supposedly already includes addons in that amount, we’ve been bent over backwards for a player of Nunes rare ability and potential. That’s a £20m profit (if all addons are achieved), and when you take away Sporting’s cut and Mendes’ cut, you’re looking at a £15m profit.

A £15m profit is barely affording us Elvedi and Doyle. I’d rather stick than twist. Tell Nunes he can go next summer when he can be properly replaced.
Yes I forgot we lose 10% of any profit to Sporting and then there is Mendes's juicy cut....the add ons may amount to £10m? Anything can happen with them. Even a net £15m profit looks highly optimistic .....

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Personally, I think that's really poor if true. £60m inclusive of add ons is a crap deal when you consider what other midfielders are being sold for and the fact that Nunes has 4 years on his deal. I really don't like how FOSUN operate.
Considering how mediocre he was last year, I'm surprised anyone is bidding on him at all.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldnt make that assumption. Phillips went for a similar amount and barely played. Nunes strikes me as someone who wants to play every game, (I very much like that about him), and what is actually on offer in terms of playing time may not be so attractive.
I bet my house, my car, my wife, my son, his partner, the bloke next door's wife and his house and car, Nunes will be a City player today or tomorrow!

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I bet my house, my car, my wife, my son, his partner, the bloke next door's wife and his house and car, Nunes will be a City player today or tomorrow!
It looks that way. I think he is, however, making a mistake as I dont think he will fit into the ultra-coached style.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It looks that way. I think he is, however, making a mistake as I dont think he will fit into the ultra-coached style.
Possibly true Joe but he'll have millions in his bank account, be driving a Ferrari, living in a penthouse in downtown Manchester and a PL winners medal to go alongside his CL winners medal! Bet he can't believe his luck.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What does that have to do with anything?

He was mediocre last year. That's just a fact. It has nothing to do with his potential or how he would look an elite team. He didn't look great for Wolves, outside of a few games, end of story.
There is some truth in that but he was rarely if ever played in his best position. His quality is seen in central midfield when he has the licence to drive through the opposition from deep. Leaving him out on the wing was always crazy as far as I was concerned. Guardiola will play him in his best position and knows that he can produce the goods there, especially when surrounded by world class players. His value is based on this not , fortunately, the misuse that Wolves made of him.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is some truth in that but he was rarely if ever played in his best position. His quality is seen in central midfield when he has the licence to drive through the opposition from deep. Leaving him out on the wing was always crazy as far as I was concerned. Guardiola will play him in his best position and knows that he can produce the goods there, especially when surrounded by world class players. His value is based on this not , fortunately, the misuse that Wolves made of him.
I think Pep is signing him to fill the KDB role, that tells us everything

Andi130

Reaction score
What does that have to do with anything?

He was mediocre last year. That's just a fact. It has nothing to do with his potential or how he would look an elite team. He didn't look great for Wolves, outside of a few games, end of story.
You're right, but then nor did any of the team really. Were they all crap players though? Good managers know a good player when they see one, and they also accept form can be temporary, or impacted by a number of other factors.

In the Pep school of management he knows adapting to the prem isn't a given of the bat, which is why he tends to let some players bed in over the first year. We obviosuly couldn't really give him that platform, given the mess we were in.

Looking at Nunes early season stats, most will have seen he appears to be showing at the type of levels he was at when they were all singing his name from the rooftops previously.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean, I don't ever recall him really play on the wing. Most of a RM/LM situation. But he was definitely moved all over the pitch being asked to do different things every game, I'll give him that.

For me though, the issues stem from his brainfarts. Maybe he thinks the game too highly to play with our scrub players. But so many unforced turnovers are just frustrating from a player who we paid that much money for.

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This one has a bit of the whiff of MGW last year. Midfielder on the brink of reaching potential, team being built around him, style formulated in preseason and sold late in the window with no proper replacement? I know Nunes isn't playing up like MGW was but I do think that deal, as good as it looked financially, led to our poor start to the season and hitting rock bottom by Christmas. No Lopetegui or World Cup reset to get us out of jail this year either?

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're right, but then nor did any of the team really. Were they all crap players though? Good managers know a good player when they see one, and they also accept form can be temporary, or impacted by a number of other factors.

In the Pep school of management he knows adapting to the prem isn't a given of the bat, which is why he tends to let some players bed in over the first year. We obviosuly couldn't really give him that platform, given the mess we were in.

Looking at Nunes early season stats, most will have seen he appears to be showing at the type of levels he was at when they were all singing his name from the rooftops previously.
Exactly... which is why getting a profit on him is shocking. Honestly, Wolves at this point, should not be dealing in high value transfers. It's too risky for us. This one, is luckily working out for us. Others like Fabio and Guedes, etc are not. We should be looking more for the Gomes like deals. Players that will help us, give us a few seasons, and we can hopefully sell for a nice profit.

We've just spent our money so god damn weirdly. I'm sure Shi and Sellars were huge proponents to that. Hopefully Hobbs does better if he ever gets some money to use.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This one has a bit of the whiff of MGW last year. Midfielder on the brink of reaching potential, team being built around him, style formulated in preseason and sold late in the window with no proper replacement? I know Nunes isn't playing up like MGW was but I do think that deal, as good as it looked financially, led to our poor start to the season and hitting rock bottom by Christmas. No Lopetegui or World Cup reset to get us out of jail this year either?
You think we had a poor start to the season because we sold Morgan Gibbs-White? ..........

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Folks his head has been turned

Hypothetically it could be like this
Matheus go to wolves
No don’t want to
If you do ok a big club will come in for you
No don’t want to
Ok but they pay more than sporting
Ok I go

Man City want you
Ok I want to go now .
Wolves want 60m
Please accept I want to go my heart is in Manchester since I was a boy and it’s a dream to play for such a club
They pay me more?

He is outa here this week

Won’t see him for dust

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every young player we sign will have been told you can use us as a stepping stone as part of the negotiations when signing them. Any player that didn't have that ambition I wouldn't want us to be signing anyway.

Doesn't mean we can't hold out for maximum value, even if Nunes is putting pressure on us. Caicedo downed tools and got in a strop when Brighton turned down Arsenal last season but Brighton held firm and in the end both sides got what they wanted a little later. Does Shi have the same nerve to hold out as Bloom at Brighton? soon find out! Mendes will expect us to not play ball too hard which also needs to be factored in though.

Neptune

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nunes Wolves career:

Flashes of brilliance: 10 or fewer
Careless turnovers putting us in bad positions: way more than 10

Actions against Brighton were those of a player that wanted to be sent off. Didn't have to play vs. Everton

Bye

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sky are reporting no improved bid yet, and we won’t sell for less the £60m, we won’t move from that.

Not saying Sky are correct (no longer what they use to be), but certainly more ‘sources’ saying no improved bid and nothing less than £60m.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The big question is how much up front and how much on add ons. And how realistic are those 'add ons'? So even if it is described as say a £55m package deal - you have to look closely as to how many 'add ons' inflate that overall total. Also how is that money being paid and over what time period? Plus the 10% plus of profit lost to Sporting and Mendes. That could amount to as little as £40m guaranteed, payable over several years. And yet Man City were apparently willing to pay up to £80m for Paqueta. They are not short of a bob or two that is for sure.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Personally, I think that's really poor if true. £60m inclusive of add ons is a crap deal when you consider what other midfielders are being sold for and the fact that Nunes has 4 years on his deal. I really don't like how FOSUN operate.
Another poor deal for us if true, we will end up making what, £18m profit on him at a maximum? Probably even less after Sporting's cut.

FOSUN are extremely amateurish.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£60m is still too low. If it was the start of the window then sure. But right now I want £80m with how the midfielder market looks. CPFC want £120m for Eze who's Nunes alternative.... It's not like they're going to refuse to pay £80m for Nunes and then go out and pay the £120m for Eze. They're just waiting for us to blink because they know Fosun want the money.

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn‘t likely that all players in all clubs want to end up in one of the higher paying, most likely to win some silverware clubs?

Nothing wrong with a player signing for Wolves, Bournemouth or whoever but hoping that they’ll do better.
Trouble is, with a situation as you describe, Wolves get a player that needs to bed into the English league and adjust to living in a foreign country and all that brings with it. City/Liverpool get the settled player, who after one season, is adjusted to life on and off the field and is ready to show his best form.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trouble is, with a situation as you describe, Wolves get a player that needs to bed into the English league and adjust to living in a foreign country and all that brings with it. City/Liverpool get the settled player, who after one season, is adjusted to life on and off the field and is ready to show his best form.
Need to get some sell on going in case they get offered £250 million for him by Al Hilal next summer or some nonsense?

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, it's just a deal Fosun has made with reporters to trick Wolves fans.

Probably doesn't have anything to do with Romano not being English and always using Euros as well as most big "tracking" sites always using Euros. It's definitely the former.
Romano and others have used exactly the same sites and for English to English clubs have quoted pounds.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another poor deal for us if true, we will end up making what, £18m profit on him at a maximum? Probably even less after Sporting's cut.

FOSUN are extremely amateurish.
Most on here were offering to drive him anywhere for £35 mil at the end of last season
What were the comments?
Something like no backbone,using us as a stepping stone,doesnt want to be here,offers nothing,get rid first chance we get
Now hes a £70 mil player lol,smh

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nunes came in for a big fee, has largely not delivered and is now departing for a bigger fee.

Seems to be great in theory, but unless the money is reinvested (huge IF), what's the point?
He joined a group of underperforming players playing for an underperforming manager. An unhappy camp who were bottom of the PL at the WC break. New manager in JL who got the team scrapping to survival. Hardly the best platform for any new player to deliver.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Considering how mediocre he was last year, I'm surprised anyone is bidding on him at all.
On his potential which he showed at Sporting. Wolves last season was hardly the place to shine and pretty much all the players had a sub standard season.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surprised if Wolves haven't already accepted the latest City bid and are getting their bids in for other players as we speak before made official.
Prepared to be surprised.. what you are suggesting is what we’ll run clubs do. We’ll wait for the funds to clear before trying to buy.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Prepared to be surprised.. what you are suggesting is what we’ll run clubs do. We’ll wait for the funds to clear before trying to buy.

No idea if you're right or wrong, but there should be absolutely no reason to need to wait, if we believe the reasons (or excuses) given.

Ffp or sustainability couldn't care less if we spend today or in 3 days time.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

His skill is evident for all, he just struggled to get up to the speed and physicality of the league (like many new players coming in). Clear signs at the end of last season and the first 2 games of this season that he has got over that issue and that is probably why Man City have decided to pull the trigger now. They're willing to pay us a nice premium to get him over that first tough year for them.

Back
Top Bottom