Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nunes to City

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun are massive and were doing a magnificent job

I think that’s fair, how much longer they’re massive for us to be seen
The current financial state of wolves and Jeff admitting the inability to refresh and build a squad would say our current predicament was years in the making and avoidable if competent football people had been put in charge.

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
Can you explain to me how it's not the issue, based on the info we have at hand, plus what happened last season with massive spending?
Not having a dig but can you explain if it is solely down to FFP, why did Hobbs say we were targeting signings in the £8 to £15 million bracket? Surely if it was FFP g all along then he wouldn’t have put himself in that position?

As the supposed Director of Football you would have thought he would have had a handle on FFP and would be privy to more up to date financial info than any of us on here.

Remember wasn’t it last summer that Jeff said we couldn’t spend much due to FFP only for the goalposts to have moved and Fosun went in a bit of a splurge.

Tbh the way I’m feeling at the moment if Jeff told me there was a heatwave outside I’d pack me umbrella and wellies just in case.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am getting close to the **** them all mentality and praying that GON is the new Guardiola and the two or three free transfers that could come in on deadline day after we get another 80m in the coffers really over perform and please God Sasa turns into the new Harry Kane

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they offer £60m or a little more I suspect we would sell. Any less would be plain stupid. McAtee as part of the deal would make sense plus their young centre back with the hyphen in his name. So those two plus £40m as an alternative but they would probably only agree to loans... at best. Would all of the money be re-invested in the team?- I sincerely doubt it-perhaps half at most thus severely weakening us and psychologically sending out a huge negative message to the squad and the fans.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s their plan now, adding a few bigger fee players whilst flipping a few others. They’ve also invested in some older experienced players. Then they have players like Solly March and Dunk who on paper are not great players and if we were linked with fans would complain. But they compliment their system and key players.
You’re completely out of touch if you think our fans would complain about March or Dunk.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have just sold two top youth prospects to city and newcastle. They are even stripping that
We don't really have any choice with that because they were too young to offer professional terms to, but the fact kids are jumping ship quite readily also tells you a bit about where we are right now. Lopetegui could see it, Nunes can see it, even our academy players can see it

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My one remaining hope for this season was that the core group of portuguese/brazilian players would provide the camararderie and determination to make a go of it and prove the naysayers wrong. They seem to be close friends. Nunes seemed to be at the heart of that, an intelligent guy, prepared to take a lead.

Oh well....

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not having a dig but can you explain if it is solely down to FFP, why did Hobbs say we were targeting signings in the £8 to £15 million bracket? Surely if it was FFP g all along then he wouldn’t have put himself in that position?

As the supposed Director of Football you would have thought he would have had a handle on FFP and would be privy to more up to date financial info than any of us on here.

Remember wasn’t it last summer that Jeff said we couldn’t spend much due to FFP only for the goalposts to have moved and Fosun went in a bit of a splurge.

Tbh the way I’m feeling at the moment if Jeff told me there was a heatwave outside I’d pack me umbrella and wellies just in case.
I mean we could be targeting players in that range still. We could also have thought that maybe we were going to see Kilman or Nunes or something earlier in the window. Maybe Lopetegui put a stop. We don't know the be all, end all.

If you want my true opinion... I think FFP is part of the problem. But I think the bigger problem is that Fosun invested a ton last year and we ****ing sucked and they're ****ed. And we're a bit of a impasse. I think FFP has been used as a cover because it is a bit of a problem, but not as big as we think.

But I also don't know all the numbers, just the ones we have access too, so my opinions are just guess work.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least it might be an interesting deadline day.

Or then again, probably not.

Harrumph.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Flicked through the thread-

“Ask for 80 million” - Anyone thinking we can get 80 mil is off their head. Nunes has coasted through his time here, showing flashes of being brilliant. City are paying for undoubted potential, not a proven performer.

“play hardball, look what Rice and Caicedo went for” - nonsense. We aren’t dealing with Chelsea. If the price doesn’t suit City they’ll walk away. They did it with Rice this summer and did it with Kane the year before. They want Nunes, they don’t need him.

“If we don’t get the fee we want then **** them” - nah, 1- we’ll be more than happy with €50 mil anyway, 2- even if we weren’t, the last thing we need is a ****ed off player.

Personally I think he’s been disappointing for us overall and his attitude hasn’t been right, I suppose playing in a struggling team in various positions hasn’t helped. However City just don’t buy poor players. He’ll be very good for them no doubt.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love the underdog as much as the next man but we really have taken it to extreme
Our only hope is that players play for a move next year and have a great season . It’s ****ing depressing how poor the comma have been and what a mess we appear to be in. JLo didn’t help either.

Come on GON ! Don’t be a Saunders

T

TheConcourse

Fosun are massive and were doing a magnificent job

I think that’s fair, how much longer they’re massive for is to be seen
Were they really though, or was it down to Nuno? I'm struggling to see what Fosun have done well outside of Nuno tbh.

Wolves Music - abject failure
Wolves Fashion - abject failure

Wolves Football (yay, the thing we care about) - outside of Nuno, I'd argue it's been a pretty significant failure based on the level of investment.

You're right, Fosun has been good in the sense that when money was free they were happy to borrow to try and build their revenues. Now money isn't free they're sucking every last bit of blood they can get. Does that really sound like good ownership to you?

What's next? Who knows. Presumably, we'll be back in our spiritual home of The Championship with this clown of a manager and Shaun Derry telling whatever free journeymen we sign in the summer to play the ball forward faster, ideally at head height, whilst Fosun keeps their hands in their pockets or sell us after selling our valuable playing assets.

Fans need to get vocal immediately. You do not do this to an institution. Especially not Wolverhampton ****ing Wanderers.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Flicked through the thread-

“Ask for 80 million” - Anyone thinking we can get 80 mil is off their head. Nunes has coasted through his time here, showing flashes of being brilliant. City are paying for undoubted potential, not a proven performer.

“play hardball, look what Rice and Caicedo went for” - nonsense. We aren’t dealing with Chelsea. If the price doesn’t suit City they’ll walk away. They did it with Rice this summer and did it with Kane the year before. They want Nunes, they don’t need him.

“If we don’t get the fee we want then **** them” - nah, 1- we’ll be more than happy with €50 mil anyway, 2- even if we weren’t, the last thing we need is a ****ed off player.

Personally I think he’s been disappointing for us overall and his attitude hasn’t been right, I suppose playing in a struggling team in various positions hasn’t helped. However City just don’t buy poor players. He’ll be very good for them no doubt.
He will be fantastic surrounded by fantastic players .
Good luck and **** off
Harsh but I won’t remember him for much other than the Chelsea goal

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bang on.

Just dont see the point. live for the moment. Just wanting just to get a few likes on social media for the video, does my head in.

Yeh exactly. As if anyone is going to be impressed by it anyway. Oh you recorded someone scoring a penalty? Oh wow...

loppers86

Reaction score
i’ve said it before and i’ll say it again… why would any player want to stick with Gazza on his death march to the championship?

The simple fact is that none of them will and they are scattering like rats leaving a sinking ship.

Appointing Gonad at this point is literally a death wish from hobbs and shi.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i’ve said it before and i’ll say it again… why would any player want to stick with Gazza on his death march to the championship?

The simple fact is that none of them will and they are scattering like rats leaving a sinking ship.

Appointing Gonad at this point is literally a death wish from hobbs and shi.
He’s just a temp to keep the team in the league until the new owners take over and hire someone else.. sound familiar Gaz? I feel a bit sorry for him.

floydstreet

Reaction score
He will be fantastic surrounded by fantastic players .
Good luck and **** off
Harsh but I won’t remember him for much other than the Chelsea goal
If he has the chance to go, I get it he will go

My issue is more this is like the player version of Lopetegui. It’s like he’s been doing us a favour (Liverpool contract clause). His levels will have to increase twofold to work at city and not sure his style works there.

His effort has largely been fine from perspective so no issue there. I just hope we get a profit and good fee for him and secondly we spend it

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeh exactly. As if anyone is going to be impressed by it anyway. Oh you recorded someone scoring a penalty? Oh wow...
I've never really understood the mentality of this either.
It's not just football, I've witnessed it at music gigs too.
When I got back from my recent holiday my mate asked me if I had any pictures.
It was then that I realised I hadn't taken any.
I'd actually lived through all the moments, rather than take pictures or videos of them to save them for posterity.
Part of me now thinks that is a little sad, but in reality, I was so in the moment and enjoying myself so much, I never gave it a thought.
Who the **** wants to live life through a lens anyway?!!!

MacTrizzle

Reaction score
Why is that dreaming? Have you seen the market for midfielders this summer? Man City were on the verge of buying Paqueta for £100m. Caicedo £110m. Rice £105m.
Why is it dreaming? We have fosun in charge and they appear more intersted in getting quick bucks rather than negocate a good deal.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd actually lived through all the moments, rather than take pictures or videos of them to save them for posterity.
Part of me now thinks that is a little sad, but in reality, I was so in the moment and enjoying myself so much, I never gave it a thought.

Yep. What makes certain memories so special is that you have no evidence of them other than in your mind.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am like this also.. my camera roll is just memes and nonsense.

However, my Wife loves a pic and I am quite grateful for it now. There are big periods of my life with no pics at all and I would love to relive some of those times.. I do find that pics can help relive a moment I had forgotten about.

Taking pics and videoing football and music gigs? Utter waste of time.. there are professionals doing that for you.

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
I mean we could be targeting players in that range still.
Surely we would’ve signed Elvedi if this were the case, sits firmly in that price bracket.

If you want my true opinion... I think FFP is part of the problem.
Agree with this I think FFP may have been to some extent but not after the sales and the savings on wages. Plus the supposed shifting of the goal posts now looking at loans and low cost deals if any at all.

I think most people would accept that we can’t compete with the top signings and tbh I think many would be happy and get more excitement and connection with unearthing a lower cost prospect like Gomes rather than the big signings like Guedes for example. To me this is one of the mistakes they made not continuing to target players in the up to £15-£20 million bracket with a couple of more experienced free/low cost options.

I think we are where we are due to Jeff’s complacency and arrogance thinking he didn’t need to bring in people with better footballing knowledge to help run the club. To me Jeff hasn’t grasped how unique running a football club is and continues to repeat similar mistakes highlighted by our knee jerk reactive approach to signings and sales and managerial appointments.

A successful team always needs to evolve and I’m sorry from where I’m standing Jeff and Co failed to add a couple of strategic signings with a sale or two each window when we were in a position of strength and now for whatever reason (not FFP) they haven’t got the heart or more to the point the willingness and seemingly the expertise to make the necessary (not necessarily massive) investment to sustainably grow the club.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am like this also.. my camera roll is just memes and nonsense.

However, my Wife loves a pic and I am quite grateful for it now. There are big periods of my life with no pics at all and I would love to relive some of those times.. I do find that pics can help relive a moment I had forgotten about.

Taking pics and videoing football and music gigs? Utter waste of time.. there are professionals doing that for you.
My missus is an habitual snapper, but weirdly on our latest holiday, she took very few either.
I guess it's indicative of us having had a wonderful family holiday.

loppers86

Reaction score
He’s just a temp to keep the team in the league until the new owners take over and hire someone else.. sound familiar Gaz? I feel a bit sorry for him.
there’s no way on this earth he’s keeping us in this league. i’ll be surprised if he’s still in the job next monday.

i never actually understood the word Omnishambles until Jeff showed me a real example.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he has the chance to go, I get it he will go

My issue is more this is like the player version of Lopetegui. It’s like he’s been doing us a favour (Liverpool contract clause). His levels will have to increase twofold to work at city and not sure his style works there.

His effort has largely been fine from perspective so no issue there. I just hope we get a profit and good fee for him and secondly we spend it
Fair enough. I think that there is absolutely no football loyalty these days and it’s just about the next pay day
Shame. It’s such a wonderful game being ruined by money. Saudi Arabia proving the point

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
This was always going to be temporary and if not written down, I’m sure he would have had verbal agreement with Wolves/Mendes that if a move like this materialised, we wouldn’t stand in his way.

It’s why I think he’s not likely to go for more than 50m. Think this was part of the deal when convincing him to come last year.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
there’s no way on this earth he’s keeping us in this league. i’ll be surprised if he’s still in the job next monday.

i never actually understood the word Omnishambles until Jeff showed me a real example.
No offence but you’re a real ray of sunshine after two games. GON may turn out to be crap but he is here and wants to be here unlike our mercenary former boss. He may just get this lot to perform like Pearson got Leicester to perform in 2015 . This may be the point where we re discover a true team and pack mentality. I would sooner go down swinging than the turgid abject ****e served up for the last three seasons. Give him a chance .

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why is it dreaming? We have fosun in charge and they appear more intersted in getting quick bucks rather than negocate a good deal.
What's that based on? We sold Neves for nearly £50m with a year left on his deal. Who have we sold below market value?

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see the sale going through. Problem is it will be protracted, as these things always are, and we'll have about 5 minutes left of the window to get some others in. Can this season get more ridiculous?
Yep. Sums us up. We had a similar issue when we panicked bought Cutrone, a player who didn’t want to be here. Then we had another panic when Raul got injured after we’d loaned out Silva.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In Bruno’s first season, we had a net spend of only €5million.. surprised at that looking back

Yes. We spent 80m net a season in the first two PL seasons, and then two seasons of virtually no net spend around Covid time, before the splurge at the end of last summer and in January. On average, to date we’ve spent 40m net each season we’ve been in the PL.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Were they really though, or was it down to Nuno? I'm struggling to see what Fosun have done well outside of Nuno tbh.

Wolves Music - abject failure
Wolves Fashion - abject failure

Wolves Football (yay, the thing we care about) - outside of Nuno, I'd argue it's been a pretty significant failure based on the level of investment.

You're right, Fosun has been good in the sense that when money was free they were happy to borrow to try and build their revenues. Now money isn't free they're sucking every last bit of blood they can get. Does that really sound like good ownership to you?

What's next? Who knows. Presumably, we'll be back in our spiritual home of The Championship with this clown of a manager and Shaun Derry telling whatever free journeymen we sign in the summer to play the ball forward faster, ideally at head height, whilst Fosun keeps their hands in their pockets or sell us after selling our valuable playing assets.

Fans need to get vocal immediately. You do not do this to an institution. Especially not Wolverhampton ****ing Wanderers.

In hindsight, it looks increasingly like Nuno was succesful despite Fosun, not because of Fosun.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
In hindsight, it looks increasingly like Nuno was succesful despite Fosun, not because of Fosun.
He had the big advantage of having time to build a team ethos in a lower league with players that were well beyond that level.

It was a ridiculously strong team for the Championship, and that was due to Fosun's Mendes connections. They did well for us then.

That momemtum then carried us into Europe. Then it all fell apart

Much harder to do in the Premier League when it's a burning platform.

Back
Top Bottom