Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the fans will definitely get behind him

Best thing he can do is keep to his words and give us attacking football. There's no crowd like the Molineux crowd when you give us something to shout about.
He can only work with what hes got
We have players that can be very attacking if played correctly
We probably dont have any prolific scorers, but have a few that could get double figures
We are probably 3 players short for strength in depth,but its not the end of the world
Tomorrow will tell us a lot,we dont expect to win ,but a more positive performance will go a long way i feel

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He can only work with what hes got
We have players that can be very attacking if played correctly
We probably dont have any prolific scorers, but have a few that could get double figures
We are probably 3 players short for strength in depth,but its not the end of the world
Tomorrow will tell us a lot,we dont expect to win ,but a more positive performance will go a long way i feel
I agree, though I’m not sure tomorrow should be taken as too much of an indication of what’s to come. We will need to be sensible. If we push up high, Rashford v Dawson is a disaster waiting to happen! We can’t be the away team and let them play counter attack against us.
I know it sounds a bit defeatist, but a competitive performance and a 1-0 loss isn’t the end of the world, or a boring draw!

A similar set up and performance as the last 2 friendlies would be nice though.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, though I’m not sure tomorrow should be taken as too much of an indication of what’s to come. We will need to be sensible. If we push up high, Rashford v Dawson is a disaster waiting to happen! We can’t be the away team and let them play counter attack against us.
I know it sounds a bit defeatist, but a competitive performance and a 1-0 loss isn’t the end of the world, or a boring draw!

A similar set up and performance as the last 2 friendlies would be nice though.
If we manage a goal or a shot on target it’s an improvement on last season!! Go out there play our game no pressure on us whatsoever. Go and attack them hope for the best. Keep our shape we will be fine

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A decent enough press conference but I’m not sure worthy of high praise, barring a Nathan Jones car crash I’m not sure what else we’d expect.

I am also pleased to hear about his philosophy which is an elite club footballing mentality, but the only evidential interrogation of this philosophy demonstrated the exact opposite, ie his time at Bournemouth (though of course needs were a must there).

It would be amazing if he can implement this style with us as it would make us enjoyable to watch again after many years. But making this happen is also one of the biggest asks in football.

Some green shoots on Monday and a gradual development of this style whilst picking up a few points along the way would be the best start we could hope for in the circumstances, in my opinion.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
So, did we see his first real effort at in game management today at half time?

Did he tell the midfield to push on en masse? The whole team to just play higher? Did he give them a really tricky puzzle at half time that they were still thinking about at 4.15?

Hopefully MotD will ignore us, because any analysis of 4-4.15 is going to be a painful watch.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, did we see his first real effort at in game management today at half time?

Did he tell the midfield to push on en masse? The whole team to just play higher? Did he give them a really tricky puzzle at half time that they were still thinking about at 4.15?

Hopefully MotD will ignore us, because any analysis of 4-4.15 is going to be a painful watch.

Just able to face the highlights. The first goal I'd give some credit to Mitoma. It's not like he doesn't regularly burst past defenders like they arent there. Though our defence looks disorganised. And even worse for the other 3 goals. I struggle to blame individuals because the defence is collectively all over the place. Like they all have no idea whose supposed to be where. Either Brighton's trickery bamboozled us, or we have a serious problem.

The best part for our goal is that Cunha is running in to make sure the ball crosses the line, but doesn't quite get there. Which was good as he would have most likely blasted it over the bar.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just able to face the highlights. The first goal I'd give some credit to Mitoma. It's not like he doesn't regularly burst past defenders like they arent there. Though our defence looks disorganised. And even worse for the other 3 goals. I struggle to blame individuals because the defence is collectively all over the place. Like they all have no idea whose supposed to be where. Either Brighton's trickery bamboozled us, or we have a serious problem.

The best part for our goal is that Cunha is running in to make sure the ball crosses the line, but doesn't quite get there. Which was good as he would have most likely blasted it over the bar.
Just watching Memento which may explain what happened to our defence

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

Thing is with the first one, we know Semedo will struggle with Mitoma, but the way he came inside someone else should have dealt with it. O'Neil obviously felt someone didn't do the job they'd been given there, suspect one of the two CMs.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Had us committing too far up.

Gomes harrying their keeper along with Lemina.

Left the defence exposed.

Was a basketball game at times.

Ridiculous.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON is on a hiding to nothing which is why his days are numbered already imv. If we play well individual players, like Cunha and Nunes at Utd, get all the praise rather than the focus being on the manager. When we are all over the shop, like today, focus switches more to the manager and his inabilities rather more so than the deficiencies of the players. Perhaps this is just football but it is the way it is. That's why a manager who is in a precarious position, and whatever you think of the appt GON was in a precarious position the day he walked in the door, will have his tactics and record micro-analysed to death. The Prem is a ruthless beast and devours managers who don't hack it. We've made a start and have a run of games which will likely have us bottom at the end of September. After the shambles of most of last season I can't believe Fosun will want a repeat and Hobbs is most probably right now checking his phone for the numbers of his contacts all over uk and Europe.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing is with the first one, we know Semedo will struggle with Mitoma, but the way he came inside someone else should have dealt with it. O'Neil obviously felt someone didn't do the job they'd been given there, suspect one of the two CMs.
Joao Gomes was absolutely atrocious today, like he was in the same fixture at the end of last season.
Nobody wants to say it when it's a kid, particularly one that on his day looks excellent, but he may as well have not turned up today.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve played 2 games that we probably weren’t expected to win. The performance against Man Utd gave us a bit of a false hope.

Continue to judge him - the Everton Match will be a further tough test for him; but one I’m sure he thinks he can get 3 points from.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Joao Gomes was absolutely atrocious today, like he was in the same fixture at the end of last season.
Nobody wants to say it when it's a kid, particularly one that on his day looks excellent, but he may as well have not turned up today.
Can't disagree. As I said in the verdict thread, my MotM on Monday, just seemed to watch the game go on around him today.

Howler

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't think it was a tactics issue, it was a team that played a very physical and demanding style 5 days earlier not being able to maintain it and us hitting a wall due to fatigue, we looked stuck in the mud for about 10 minutes there......Brighton with 2 days extra rest and prep in the professional era is a massive advantage.

This is exactly why Lage flipped his tactics after 3 games, simply didn't have the squad size to maintain the rage. Someone predicted in the game thread that we will revert to defensive tactics in a game or two to try and grind out another season of bare survival and I suspect that poster may be right unfortunately.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he was lazy today which was the most disappointing aspect

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think it was a tactics issue, it was a team that played a very physical and demanding style 5 days earlier not being able to maintain it and us hitting a wall due to fatigue, we looked stuck in the mud for about 10 minutes there......Brighton with 2 days extra rest and prep in the professional era is a massive advantage.

This is exactly why Lage flipped his tactics after 3 games, simply didn't have the squad size to maintain the rage. Someone predicted in the game thread that we will revert to defensive tactics in a game or two to try and grind out another season of bare survival and I suspect that poster may be right unfortunately.
Re enforces JL’s demand for players

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those kick offs were absolutely absurd today

3 players on the right . And we kick it to the left trying to pick out Neto when he has players either side of him

Whole team then on wrong side of pitch and get picked off

Honestly madness

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were undone by a mix of good play and absurd tactics. Only the manager can have told them to play suicide ball so the blame is on him for this one.

WV4 Wolves

Reaction score
I don't want to bd harsh but this is what I'm feeling. By the way I'm a season ticket holder and I left after Brighton scored the 4th..... No point staying in my view. So if I'm Gary O'Neil I know that the majority or the crowd think I'm a numpty and undeserving of a big job like wolves so the first home game I definitely don't want to lose and I certainly don't want to get spanked 4! At least if he'd set the team up not to lose if it was 0-0 he'd have got more respect from me than asking 35 years old Craig Dawson to stand on the half way line and joao gomes to press their goalie. .... Ok people would be moaning we hadn't scored but its about picking up points and playing a plan and gaining respect...... We are an embarassment..... Sack him tonight for me it's only a matter of time look at the fixtures we'll lose at Luton then get battered by Man City and it will be nearly too late again....

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't want to bd harsh but this is what I'm feeling. By the way I'm a season ticket holder and I left after Brighton scored the 4th..... No point staying in my view. So if I'm Gary O'Neil I know that the majority or the crowd think I'm a numpty and undeserving of a big job like wolves so the first home game I definitely don't want to lose and I certainly don't want to get spanked 4! At least if he'd set the team up not to lose if it was 0-0 he'd have got more respect from me than asking 35 years old Craig Dawson to stand on the half way line and joao gomes to press their goalie. .... Ok people would be moaning we hadn't scored but its about picking up points and playing a plan and gaining respect...... We are an embarassment..... Sack him tonight for me it's only a matter of time look at the fixtures we'll lose at Luton then get battered by Man City and it will be nearly too late again....

“Sack him tonight” what an utterly ignorant, stupid take - **** off

WV4 Wolves

Reaction score
Why did you go to the game??? What positives did you you see?? We have no plan players raising their arms in frustration after 20mins and whatever he said at half time obviously worked wonders as we conceded 3 in 15 minutes...... why don't you .....off!

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah I’m pretty hacked off but this is a bit extreme

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most know he was right and it is pretty obvious. Still at least Guo enjoyed his visit in his cap and tracksuit top today sat next to the grinning clown.
With 10-15 mins of injury time a game, 5 subs and a high press, it is basically ******* stupid to have limited options

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's got yogurt it right next week
I know it's early but it's a game he can't lose

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think it is I agree with every word and despite being a STH for 5O years I left after their 4th goal as well - couldn’t stand to watch anymore.
Me too. I walked out when the fourth went in. Only done that once before in 60+ years -- last season v Leeds !

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think it is I agree with every word and despite being a STH for 5O years I left after their 4th goal as well - couldn’t stand to watch anymore.
I don’t think we’ll lose to Luton and not sure what it would gain sacking him tonight

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can't sack him, some berk just gave him a 3 year contract we will have to sell another player just to pay him off

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just don't understand how fans with zero experience of working in football, can clearly see the problems Brighton were going to cause us today, but GON can't!

The hype around this bloke is that he is incredibly detailed in everything he does.. so why the hell are we playing a high line against Brightons attack?...

Defence was an utter shambles with no protection from midfield second half..

Back
Top Bottom