Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

Madmalc

Reaction score
I'm just glad Shi appointed Hobbs as Sporting Director.
Julen turned up with his own Sporting Director as I recall.
We'd be in more of a pickle if Fran Garagarza had been made Sporting Director.

Both Shi and Fosun appear to be living in interesting times with Wolves.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can have an opinion overall but just look at all sides of the coin before coming to that opinion. The OP was parroting Jeff's press briefings as gospel whilst going in on Julen's press briefings, claiming he was in the wrong. Both of them have been briefing the press and both sides need to be looked at together to form an idea of the likely situation, rather than simply parroting one side of the argument.
Jeff said its FFP . But if it was why bid £20 million for Alex Scott ? That seems contradictory ?

NavyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean, it's not like Steve Davis who was woefully under-qualified for the role which was foisted upon him. GON has applied for this job and thinks he has what it takes. He doesn't.
Did he apply? There was no job too apply for!!
Surely he's been headhunted which says it all about Fosun and the footballing knowledge of Shi and the rest of the board! I can't quite believe Hobbs has recommended him either.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again, would you leave your current employment with taking the final pay cheques?
If he wants to have his 'final pay cheques' then he'll have to earn them. Don't sign a two-year contract if you don't intend to fulfill it. Why are the rules different for managers compared to players?

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean, it's not like Steve Davis who was woefully under-qualified for the role which was foisted upon him. GON has applied for this job and thinks he has what it takes. He doesn't.
So everyone who's been ambitious enough to apply for a job that's too much for them deserves to be ridiculed? He's been a manager in Premier League, he's applied for a similar job. Don't get me wrong, I'm deeply unhappy with this supposed appointment, but he will deserve our support if he's the Wolves manager. Even if it's only till Christmas!!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get why we're paying him off. If he wants to leave, then leave. Nobody made him sign that contract. Get on with the job you've been paid an extortionate amount to do for the next two years.

He's going to end up in the Middle East being paid tens of millions within months so I don't understand why he's holding the club to ransom like this.
Because he wont leave if he isnt paid.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he wants to have his 'final pay cheques' then he'll have to earn them. Don't sign a two-year contract if you don't intend to fulfill it. Why are the rules different for managers compared to players?
Don't offer a two-year contract if you've got doubts with the manager. I've no issue with JL follows the extent of the contract that was offered to him.

Are you telling me you would kick a gift horse in the mouth?

'Sorry lads, I don't fancy two years guaranteed income, stick me on the monthly if I do say so'.

You'd be the first!

Arc

Groupie
Reaction score
Can't wait to watch some boring defensive football clinging on to 1-0 wins or draws for the rest of the season under Gary. Thought we'd finish comfortably mid table if JL stayed with the way we played against rennes but guess that ain't happening anymore

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stay and get paid. Wouldn't you ?
Being paid £9 million a year but having to put up with the terrible squad we have, as he seems to paint it as in his infamous Guillem Balague interviews, seems like quite a cushy job to me.

I have zero sympathy for him and the way he's conducted himself of late. He spent his summer budget in January. Get on with it.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Yep. Johnny Phillips has said the financial decisions are being made back in China, above Shi's pay grade. Fosun are no longer prepared to write off losses (£125m a year or so ago?) and as owners it's there perogative to demand the club is self sufficient going forward.
As I said somewhere buried in all this, he actually said Beijing. That's not Fosun (who have their HQ in Shanghai) that's the CCP.

Also btw, they didn't write off the losses, they just acknowledged the fact that they had increased the value of what they call their asset (also known as our club).

My opinions of all this have changed quite a bit over the last fortnight I'll admit, and there's every chance I'm still wrong, but for my money it's decisions above Fosun that have caused all this.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
OK, roughly, how long does it take to sack someone and give them few quid compo?

Could we have a poll on this please

>10 minutes
11 - 30 minutes
31 min's - 1 hr
ALL ****ING DAY!!

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
From the Beeb article:

The club have known for sometime that Lopetegui, 56, wanted to quit Molineux before the new season started.

Talks held today over the Spaniard's exit from the club have been amicable.

If that's the case, surely the players would have been aware that this guy might not be here, so maybe we won't get the exodus some are predicting.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would like to personally apologise to @Stourport wolf, your character assassination of him seems pretty spot on now in hindsight.

He did a great job keeping us up, but can't say I'm not happy to see the back of him after how he's conducted himself these last few months.

I don't think fans would mind it either if the replacement wasn't Gary O' ****ing Neil. What a miserable day.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I said somewhere buried in all this, he actually said Beijing. That's not Fosun (who have their HQ in Shanghai) that's the CCP.

Also btw, they didn't write off the losses, they just acknowledged the fact that they had increased the value of what they call their asset (also known as our club).

My opinions of all this have changed quite a bit over the last fortnight I'll admit, and there's every chance I'm still wrong, but for my money it's decisions above Fosun that have caused all this.

I wouldn’t read too much into his choice of Beijing vs Shanghai. He clearly said it was decisions being made in China not here, but the why was more speculative. He covered the bases including finances and geopolitical in his speculation, so I don’t think he actually knows the root cause, and frankly I doubt anyone outside of Fosun’s senior mgt. really knows. He said himself that some things will not be disclosed for confidentiality reasons.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the Beeb article:

The club have known for sometime that Lopetegui, 56, wanted to quit Molineux before the new season started.

Talks held today over the Spaniard's exit from the club have been amicable.

If that's the case, surely the players would have been aware that this guy might not be here, so maybe we won't get the exodus some are predicting.
So why was he allowed to conduct the whole pre-season? It's BS spin.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
So if you were Julen and had been strung along all summer, got your squad playing and then Sunday find out your employers have been sounding out other coaches for your job behind your back…..

And they are also intending to sell Kilman and Fabio….

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
support is earned. they’ve lost mine.
last season having a ticket too.
Good grief! I don’t know how old you are NWW but I lived through the Bhatti years, the plummet into the fourth div, the Hayward failure years, the Hayward turns the tap off year, the Hoddle torture, the double dip years…and you’re giving up over this??? Get a grip man. You’re a proud fan of Wolverhampton Wanderers. Not because of the division we’re in, or which numpty decides to own us, or how much money they spend. It’s because it’s something you just do, like breathing.

Snorbans Wolf

Reaction score
I don't get why we're paying him off. If he wants to leave, then leave. Nobody made him sign that contract. Get on with the job you've been paid an extortionate amount to do for the next two years.

He's going to end up in the Middle East being paid tens of millions within months so I don't understand why he's holding the club to ransom like this.

I can only imagine that the reasons we are paying him off (if that’s what’s happening) are:

(A) he has an arguable legal case based on promises that were made in his contract that haven’t been fulfilled

(B) the club want to stop him talking to the press about what’s going on

Could be either, or both.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So if you were Julen and had been strung along all summer, got your squad playing and then Sunday find out your employers have been sounding out other coaches for your job behind your back…..
I agree with you but let’s not forget who leaked this story. Gary ****ing O’Neil!!!

I hope he ends up nowhere near our club!!

Agent Cooper

Reaction score

Yep. It was late when I was listening to it. He said decisions being made above Shi's head and Fosun too. Definitely back in China. I thought he said something about a £125m loss. Maybe underwriting it rather than writing off but something they are not prepared to do now. Certainly got the impression FFP, whilst something we still need to keep on eye on, was not the major reason for a tightening of purse strings.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He’s never made them - the players we have now - out to be bad ffs.

This place does my ****ing head in.
"But in the same way, we’re worried about the future of our squad because we are going to need to improve our squad if we want to be able to compete in the Premier League.

We found the team at the bottom in December when we came here and after it was a very hard task to get out of relegation, with a much better squad than we have this year"

Those are Lopetegui's words.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good grief! I don’t know how old you are NWW but I lived through the Bhatti years, the plummet into the fourth div, the Hayward failure years, the Hayward turns the tap off year, the Hoddle torture, the double dip years…and you’re giving up over this??? Get a grip man. You’re a proud fan of Wolverhampton Wanderers. Not because of the division we’re in, or which numpty decides to own us, or how much money they spend. It’s because it’s something you just do, like breathing.
not support, just regular attendance. should have made that clearer in fairness. maybe i’ll feel differently in a few weeks. i’ll still be screaming at the tv or laptop

Back
Top Bottom