Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we don't hear anything by tonight, what does that mean?

Seems odd to intervene termination talks into another day

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And like I said above, the window isn't closed. I bet you we make signings before the window closes.
All I can say is fingers crossed- but I don't share your optimism. I don't think Lopetegui would be leaving if we were planning to make some decent signings.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Losing JL and his staff would be a body blow to the players. Almost as bad as losing Nuno. Will we get away with it a third time?
Going to need someone who can talk to the players if it happens. I would go iberain again for that reason. God knows whose available cus I don't see em paying any compo. Its Zenga territory if they come to the same conclusion.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are two separate issues - One, there's no money, for various reasons, and this has led to the loss of Lopetegui; and Two, the club have had all summer to come up with a contingency plan, and that plan turns out to be Gary O'Neil.

I can personally cope with the first, however absurd and defeating it all is, because that's football, and because Lopetegui is a twit who played the club for everything he could in the end. It's the owners own fault there's no cash, they're the ones who wasted it, but it is what it is.

I can't forgive the second one, however. It's sheer stupidity and underlines how they no longer give a damn. You know for two months there's a good chance your coach is going to do a runner, and Gary O'Neil is your answer? **** off.

The only good thing to come out of today is that a few more eyes will be opened. Even though there will still be plenty who cast flowers at Fosun's feet, and prance around a totem of Jeff like naked Morris dancers from Midsommer, shaking their tambourines to a tune of Everything Is Awesome with a special chorus of Stop Moaning And Just Pay Your Money Like Good Little Lambs, there will at least be a greater awareness now of the truth: Fosun care about themselves, not us, and Jeff's open letter the other day was his version of that much-loved phrase... what was it, now? Oh, yes.

"It was a business decision."
:) :) :)

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
I don’t know if you read @Mighty Thor's post from a few days ago on Fosun’s financial position. If not read it.

Up to about a year ago I used to write stock market reports for a financial services company, and wrote a lot about Evergrande, a Chinese property company who were – at one time – the biggest property company in the world. Last time I wrote about them Evergrande had debts to 210 banks, with bonds maturing (and due for repayment) almost every month. They were permanently at risk of default with – at one point – the CEO having to sell his house to meet the repayments.

I’d suggest the situation with Fosun is very similar. Altho’ I bow to no-one in my disdain for Shi, I suspect he has had little idea of what is happening on even a daily basis. It will be Shanghai that has moved the goalposts on JL, not Shi.

More player sales? Yes, for sure. Fosun want cash. And more cash.

The only consolation I take from this is that Fosun are probably in such deep **** that they’ll have to sell Wolves sooner rather than later. They’ll simply need the money, and won’t risk selling a Championship side.
Yep. Johnny Phillips has said the financial decisions are being made back in China, above Shi's pay grade. Fosun are no longer prepared to write off losses (£125m a year or so ago?) and as owners it's there perogative to demand the club is self sufficient going forward.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And that is our esteemed Director of Football everyone! No ****ing clue what's going on!
"What’s still a big pull for people is Julen. Players want to come and play for this manager.”

When we appoint a PE teacher in his place we'll have zero pull. Brilliant.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fosun must be gutted that their original number one target as a manager has walked. There clearly isn’t anymore money to be found down the back of the sofa, as I’m pretty sure they’ve done everything they can to try and keep JL by funding some transfers. They will also be desperately keen to make sure the next manager has the ability to at the very least keep us in the Premier League. I don’t think O’Neill is a done deal to take over but if he is he deserves everyone’s support to see what he can do and pretty sure he won’t have the “you’re lucky to have me” arrogance of JL who doesn’t appreciate what a privilege it is to manage a club steeped in tradition, with a great fan base as ours.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me support is unconditional, I'll always support wolves, they are my team and always will be
i should rephrase, i’ll always support Wolves, just not the idiots currently brining the club into the mud.
it makes it very easy not getting on an expensive, unreliable train to and from Edinburgh.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't it fairly obvious? I said back in May we wouldn't spend much after surprisingly spending a fortune in January. It wasn't hard to see that coming.
Well yeah, hence selling £100m worth of players so we could have more than 2 centre backs going into the season.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t know if you read @Mighty Thor's post from a few days ago on Fosun’s financial position. If not read it.

Up to about a year ago I used to write stock market reports for a financial services company, and wrote a lot about Evergrande, a Chinese property company who were – at one time – the biggest property company in the world. Last time I wrote about them Evergrande had debts to 210 banks, with bonds maturing (and due for repayment) almost every month. They were permanently at risk of default with – at one point – the CEO having to sell his house to meet the repayments.

I’d suggest the situation with Fosun is very similar. Altho’ I bow to no-one in my disdain for Shi, I suspect he has had little idea of what is happening on even a daily basis. It will be Shanghai that has moved the goalposts on JL, not Shi.

More player sales? Yes, for sure. Fosun want cash. And more cash.

The only consolation I take from this is that Fosun are probably in such deep **** that they’ll have to sell Wolves sooner rather than later. They’ll simply need the money, and won’t risk selling a Championship side.

You mention evergrande. Also country garden who missed coupon payments on 2 dollar bonds today. That whole sector in China is on its knees. And 18% of fosuns investments are in property. Those boys are being hosed.

Just google fosun in the financial press and there are loads of articles from late last year which highlight the issues. Which is why I am surprised that JL is surprised the golden goose was telling him porkies. All JL had to do was google fosun and hit search.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone's an account but no-one knows the numbers! Show me the spreadsheets before you tell me about the financial position of the club! Or, alternatively, just keep parroting the lines fed by Shi to the Press pack!
All this is because of finances. And only finances. But as we know nothing, we cant have an opinion on these very important matters.

Accounts are published and reported on in the press.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to my forthcoming annual trip to Cornwall at the weekend, when I pack literally nothing but all the Wolves shirts I own... gonna be getting some ribbing this year!!! :tearsofjoy:
I'll always care for my club, I no longer care one bit for Fosun, and I don't give a **** about the inevitable grief I'm gonna get, whilst on the coast.
Wolves 'til I die!!!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope the players stick it to this **** when he goes and show him how good they are. No way are they as bad as he's making them out to be
He isn't criticizing the quality of the players just the number of players.
You cant be competitive if you get red cards, pick up injuries and have a drop off in form .

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And like I said above, the window isn't closed. I bet you we make signings before the window closes.
After the last 3 seasons with so few goals, having brought JL and his assistants over , spent big in the Jan. window, I’m still hoping that Wolves will try for a really great CF.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After the last 3 seasons with so few goals, having brought JL and his assistants over , spent big in the Jan. window, I’m still hoping that Wolves will try for a really great CF.
I swear, on the day that it becomes very public knowledge that Wolves can't afford to sack their manager, are there still people saying we're going to spend money on players. :D

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
All this is because of finances. And only finances. But as we know nothing, we cant have an opinion on these very important matters.

Accounts are published and reported on in the press.
You can have an opinion overall but just look at all sides of the coin before coming to that opinion. The OP was parroting Jeff's press briefings as gospel whilst going in on Julen's press briefings, claiming he was in the wrong. Both of them have been briefing the press and both sides need to be looked at together to form an idea of the likely situation, rather than simply parroting one side of the argument.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Trust me, they haven't finished selling player assets yet, of that I'm sure!
This is cash transfer of biblical proportions and it's going on before our very eyes!!!
Say what you like about Julen Lopetegui, but I have a hunch he knows what's coming!
Forgive my simple reasoning, but from what I read, the allowed debt over 3years is £105m, our actual and estimated first two years of the current 3yrs exceed that amount by £10m, we have received circa £90m in sales thus a net positive balance of £80m, yet nothing to spare for one face saving player? Doubtless the £80m has not all been received it is a book figure and the cash will arrive sometime over the next few years. But we don't know how much we owe iro our own purchases thus the cash position could be parlous.
In which case at the end of the 3yr period we could be within the £105m allowable loss whilst not having any cash to function on a day to day basis.
I'm only too happy to have those wandering thoughts straightened out, but it may be your doom laden prophecy could be right.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"What’s still a big pull for people is Julen. Players want to come and play for this manager.”

When we appoint a PE teacher in his place we'll have zero pull. Brilliant.
I get the deep frustration but let's not take it out on O'Neil with gratuitous insults.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He isn't criticizing the quality of the players just the number of players.
You cant be competitive if you get red cards, pick up injuries and have a drop off in form .
Plus an extra 15 mins of added time.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get why we're paying him off. If he wants to leave, then leave. Nobody made him sign that contract. Get on with the job you've been paid an extortionate amount to do for the next two years.

He's going to end up in the Middle East being paid tens of millions within months so I don't understand why he's holding the club to ransom like this.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forgive my simple reasoning, but from what I read, the allowed debt over 3years is £105m, our actual and estimated first two years of the current 3yrs exceed that amount by £10m, we have received circa £90m in sales thus a net positive balance of £80m, yet nothing to spare for one face saving player? Doubtless the £80m has not all been received it is a book figure and the cash will arrive sometime over the next few years. But we don't know how much we owe iro our own purchases thus the cash position could be parlous.
In which case at the end of the 3yr period we could be within the £105m allowable loss whilst not having any cash to function on a day to day basis.
I'm only too happy to have those wandering thoughts straightened out, but it may be your doom laden prophecy could be right.
Trust me my friend, I so want to be wrong, but I fear I'm probably not far away, unfortunately!

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get the deep frustration but let's not take it out on O'Neil with gratuitous insults.

I mean, it's not like Steve Davis who was woefully under-qualified for the role which was foisted upon him. GON has applied for this job and thinks he has what it takes. He doesn't.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I swear, on the day that it becomes very public knowledge that Wolves can't afford to sack their manager, are there still people saying we're going to spend money on players. :D
I didn’t say that…..I said I still hope, ( which is what fans do ).

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get why we're paying him off. If he wants to leave, then leave. Nobody made him sign that contract. Get on with the job you've been paid an extortionate amount to do for the next two years.

He's going to end up in the Middle East being paid tens of millions within months so I don't understand why he's holding the club to ransom like this.
Again, would you leave your current employment with taking the final pay cheques?

Back
Top Bottom