Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

dingle01902

Reaction score
So senior players arrived in the last hour??
And whose was the Merc leaving at the end of the report??

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuinely furious. To move the goalposts once was bad enough. But having been given a second chance to deliver backing in a modest manner (within a financial framework publicly stated by the club), to move them again was always going to lead to this.

I don’t actually attach any blame to Lopetegui in this scenario. It’s awful planning and communication from the club, especially for someone who was such a long-term target.

To then compound this with a move for Gary O’Neil would be one of the most astounding pieces of illogical thinking I’ve seen from a Premier League club in years…

…and my in-laws are Watford fans…
Totally agree. Both Loptegui and Hobbs were clearly given the impression that some modest transfers would take place......then £90m of sales later it seems the club cannot afford even the odd million or two and by Sept 1 no new additions will appear.

Loptegui is a high flyer - that's why Shi spent an awful lot of money on him and his coaching team. Why at 56 should he settle for what might turn out to be another bottom six relegation battle? However, the club did spend big on players in January which he presumably approved of. It should have been made clear that this unexpected splurge of cash would mean a quieter summer on the transfer front. Somewhere along the line SHi seems to have been economical with the truth.

Loptegui perhaps could have handled things better too and worked with what is still a very decent squad......but his interview in Spain with him outlining his disappointment probably irked Shi who had after all paid Loptegui and his team an awful lot of money to come....
All in all both parties are at fault but imv Shi and co more so and that could cost the club very dear indeed. O'Neill is without any doubt a panic signing if he is appointed a few days before the season kicks off. His track record, bar last season, is pretty poor. He lacks experience and will be hard pressed to bring together a new coaching team at short notice. The truth is he is not ready for such a job and more of an emergency caretaker however they dress it up. The club have scored a huge own goal yet again and the club's status under such a second grade manager will simply go down another notch. If results go the way most of us now fear I can see O'Neill out around Christmas time and the second rate cycle starting up again...

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, we are, literally, the only team in the league who have decided to abide by FFP rules.

Anyone genuinely believe that?

This is a truly mental set of events. Fosun haven’t just pulled the plug, they have completely shot themselves in the foot.

As for Lopetegui, appreciate his angst, but spare me the violins, the man is a rat.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think either the club or Julen come out of this well. From the club:

It's like lusting after a beautiful woman for ages who finally agrees to go out for a meal with you. You book the Michelin star restaurant, but in doing some sums on a fag packet realise you can't afford, but plan b, a nice meal in a trendy bar with some decent food, is, whilst not ideal, not a bad compromise. The beautiful lady is less enamoured with half a Kebab whilst standing in a pile of vomit in Chapel Ash.

I can understand Lopetegui being annoyed, but inthink it is very poor the way he has conducted himself through the media, and disrespectful to the players he has got, some of whom he didn't have available last season, and some of whom he specifically bought in. As for being miffed about Raul, a good bit of deflection as he didn't play him.

In terms of the club, Lopetegui was either flat out lied to on appointment, or we have a finance team that incompetent that the sustainability criteria kept on coming as a shocking over a period of weeks. Questions need to be asked, and at a level above Shi.

As for a manager, I don't care who we get in many respects, I just hope we get some good performances out of what I think is, on the whole a decent squad, but in the need of 2 or 3 additions

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree players respect lopetegui. A couple of hard games and O'Neil and the other Yes brigade candidates will be ****ed . As the players will be like get me a move and the chance of them busting a gut goes out the window.

Remember most of this squad were bottom with 10 points in December.

Lage couldn't motivate them JL could . So if O'Neil or crusty the clown come in I think we will be ****ed. If they lose a few games In a row .

Remember that these players ultimately haven't come here because Whitmore reans is the English Riviera

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect this too, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few first teamers leave. I think we have cash flow problems, only my gut feeling
Although I think it is cash flow I find it difficult to rationalise . A multibillion pound international business empire can’t find £60 million for a year . That would avoid a crumbling asset . Or even a collapse in asset value . Does Fosun run on fresh air ? It makes no sense and perhaps that’s why JL is playing hard ball .

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL is obviously a coward. Can’t see much of a counter argument to that.

However, all this “we paid him and his team x,y,z” etc.. he paid that back by keeping us up.

But, it’s the players he’s possibly insisted on that’s ****ing annoying.

If none of this was going on, and he’s on the ropes by Christmas because of poor form - could you imagine how far off the job GO’N would be? It’s shocking.

We’re not broke.. we can’t spend now. That’s all.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Is that all Julen wanted, oh in that case just give him what he wants and ignore the financial position of the club eh?? And of course ignore the massive January spend Julen was given.
Everyone's an account but no-one knows the numbers! Show me the spreadsheets before you tell me about the financial position of the club! Or, alternatively, just keep parroting the lines fed by Shi to the Press pack!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No it runs on debt
That change’s nothing an extra £60 million is relatively little of that debt . To avoid capitulation and quite a public humiliation if a weak manager gets us relegated.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone's an account but no-one knows the numbers! Show me the spreadsheets before you tell me about the financial position of the club! Or, alternatively, just keep parroting the lines fed by Shi to the Press pack!

Isn't it fairly clear we have financial limitations? Or are you saying the club are just deliberately not spending ffs.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Selling players for small (ish) profits would make no sense when relegation costs £100 million. Plus Killmans sale would be a big profit.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So an extra £60 million is relatively little of that debt . To avoid capitulation.
They've been struggling to fund it, hence selling off assets & they're hamstrung by their government

Millsywolf22

Groupie
Reaction score
So we still have no idea if JL is still in place as manager or left the club for good. ? Reports everywhere stating he's left but also still under discussion...what the crack here, will we know today ? I've a feeling he's going to stay contrary to the reports on social media.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry but this is complete and utter bull**** made up to make JL the bad guys in all of this. Please show me any quote either direct or indirect where JL has stated that the team is not good enough to compete in the premier league.

Not once has he said this what he has actual said is the squad needs help and improving which from my point of view is absolutely spot on. there are hundreds off posts on this very forum where people say if your not improving and standing still in the prep then in reality your going backwards.

So again what is wrong in wanting a better SQUAD to help the other players over the term of a pre season??

Just look at the centre half we have 3, with the 4th Alfie Pond. Now you tell me that JL is wrong to ask for another experienced centre half to help the SQUAD over the season
His priority was actually another midfielder but that's besides the point. My point was its going to be really interesting to see how the players react to this

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They've been struggling to fund it, hence selling off assets & they're hamstrung by their government
Agreed but that’s if it is not treated as part of a global pool of assets . And that is a discretionary matter . Don’t you agree ? That £90 million overseas guarantee does help sort that out if allocated correctly.

Back
Top Bottom