Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil - Poll

Do you want Gary O’Neil as our next Head Coach?

• Total voters

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn’t Nuno’s record before us a bit suspect? There was a decent portion on here who didn’t want him and wanted to keep Lambert. Not saying O’Neill is another Nuno but it’s absurd to write him off as useless after one season where he actually exceeded expectations in his previous job.
Yes but that was the Championship. The PL is far less forgiving.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would prefer Carrick, Schumacher, Potter or Corberan to O’Neil.
Same. It doesn’t seem like they’ve looked particularly far or hard for a potential manager. Bearing in mind that this day has been coming all summer you would have thought somebody on the brain’s trust would have had the sense to plan for it.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think some Wolves fans need to get off their high horses, if his name was Gary Rodriguez Jose, who came from a Portuguese league, they would all be ecstatic. Gary did an outstanding job at Bournemouth and had the dirty done to him end of the season. He gets my full support if appointed.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a point but Matt Hobbs would surely be involved in the new manager recruitment.

So if it is him sanctioning Gary O ******* Neill then Hobbs needs to go too ASAP.

In fact, wouldn’t it have been him sanctioning Michael ******* Beale?

Hobbs out.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same. It doesn’t seem like they’ve looked particularly far or hard for a potential manager. Bearing in mind that this day has been coming all summer you would have thought somebody on the brain’s trust would have had the sense to plan for it.
So I think that it was Liam Keen saying they had been planning over the last few weeks. But isn't that even more scary? They've been planning for weeks and the best we can get is Gary O'Neil.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Hobbs is impressed enough with Gary O’Neill to have him replace Lopetegui then I would suggest that he’s more of an idiot than you think.

I just can’t get my head around this.
Wasn’t it Hobbs who recommended Beale? It seems Hobbs only knows, or wants, British managers. Which is fine in the Championship or lower leagues which is where we’ll be heading.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think some Wolves fans need to get off their high horses, if his name was Gary Rodriguez Jose, who came from a Portuguese league, they would all be ecstatic. Gary did an outstanding job at Bournemouth and had the dirty done to him end of the season. He gets my full support if appointed.
Hobbsy? Is that you?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This post is wrong.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Good for you. But it’s a no for me. Did you see the stats for Bournemouth last season

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So I think that it was Liam Keen saying they had been planning over the last few weeks. But isn't that even more scary? They've been planning for weeks and the best we can get is Gary O'Neil.
Remember, they’d been planning for months for Nuno’s departure and they gave us Bruno. They’d been planning for Bruno’s departure and they could only find Beale. Without Mendes this lot are incapable of looking any further than Championship level.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn’t it Hobbs who recommended Beale? It seems Hobbs only knows, or wants, British managers. Which is fine in the Championship or lower leagues which is where we’ll be heading.
.Anthony Barry was on that list too.
He's assistent manager at Bayer now, so probably not a complete idiot.
But there's a clear pattern here with Beale, O'Neill and Barry.
Personally dont find it very reassuring, that he seems to prefer people with limited or not managerial experience at all. Dont see many other established PL clubs who'd take such a gigantic chance.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
o neil's entire management experience is 37 matches with a sub 30% win rate. we are barking mad. this will either end with him sacked or us relegated or both. TBH I wish fosun would just sod off. the period 2016-20 was like a dream and this is a nightmare. going to take a long time to get over this. as for booing o'neil - i wont personally but i definitely want Fosun out

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
o neil's entire management experience is 37 matches with a sub 30% win rate. we are barking mad. this will either end with him sacked or us relegated or both. TBH I wish fosun would just sod off. the period 2016-20 was like a dream and this is a nightmare. going to take a long time to get over this. as for booing o'neil - i wont personally but i definitely want Fosun out
You're right. It's actually insane that he is the front runner.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not so sure. Lage had a bit more experience than O'Neill, and even won a Championship, yet most people here werent excactly excited about him coming. And for good reason. It was a massive gamble, that almost cost us.
Now we repeat it only with an even less experienced manager.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hello Mr Hobbs!

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's actually quite unbelievable how bad of an appointment he would be, what a joke we've become.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're right. It's actually insane that he is the front runner.
But in a bizarre way, I really want to see who's next on the list...
I mean if O'Neill is First, who would be,...4th or 5th choice? Presumably someone none of us ever heard of.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But in a bizarre way, I really want to see who's next on the list...
I mean if O'Neill is First, who would be,...4th or 5th choice? Presumably someone none of us ever heard of.
From what I have seen on social media, there is a 3 man list of O'Neil, Dean Smith and Frank Lampard. I know, I'm sad about that too.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Hobbs is impressed enough with Gary O’Neill to have him replace Lopetegui then I would suggest that he’s more of an idiot than you think.

I just can’t get my head around this.

It's not like he thinks he's a better manager. We're not replacing Lopetegui with anybody close to the same reputation.

You're in the Fat Frank and Smith type of managers right now. He thinks O'Neil who was arguably manager of the season last year for keeping up the worse squad in the league, is a better shout then any of them.

Who do you think we should hire?

Reactions: Ned

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The spin from the journalists when he's appointed is going to be hilarious, but sickening because it's my team.

Guarantee that by Monday they will have enough convinced that 'we should just give him a chance', because he will be viewed as a bright, talented young coach who was unfairly treated at Bournemouth, and he has grand ideas on how to play the game.

Manchester United 4-0 Wolves

Well, we were going to lose this anyway. Doesn't matter, onto Brighton.

Wolves 1-3 Brighton

They're a good side, you know! We'd struggle to beat them with Pep in charge.

Everton 1-0 Wolves

We never beat Dyche. Tough place to go.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We did that with Bruno Lage and it worked well didn't it ?

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not like he thinks he's a better manager. We're not replacing Lopetegui with anybody close to the same reputation.

You're in the Fat Frank and Smith type of managers right now. He thinks O'Neil who was arguably manager of the season last year for keeping up the worse squad in the league, is a better shout then any of them.

Who do you think we should hire?
Dean Smith. I really don't like him and think he's crap, but he's better than O'Neil.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bit of a catch22 a new manager appointment this late on. I think with only 5 days or so to go till the start of the season we cannot afford to hang around and get off to a bad unprepared start. But if we rush into a decision and make a bad choice we could end up back where we started.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dean Smith. I really don't like him and think he's crap, but he's better than O'Neil.

based on what though? Smith is proven to be a bad manager at this level. O'Neil is unknown, did a great job last season. the issue is how he translates that here.

It's more impressive that he kept Bournemouth up than what Lop did last season.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bit of a catch22 a new manager appointment this late on. I think with only 5 days or so to go till the start of the season we cannot afford to hang around and get off to a bad unprepared start. But if we rush into a decision and make a bad choice we could end up back where we started.

At least it's united away. don't expect anything anyway

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
This squad is only 2 or 3 off being a comfortable top 10 team and maybe even Europe with the right coach so surely we can attract a better candidate than bleedin O’Neil!!? Lop was on mad wages so surely we can afford to pay somebody a decent salary too to take over?!…

Back
Top Bottom