Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL feels it was pointless him Daniel and Hobbs lining up 5 to 6 targets and positions when nothing is happening. Feels his work done between Feb and June

dougandiehard

Reaction score
I think this is where most fans are now that aren’t swayed by every little bit of news that they read on here or Twitter etc no matter how legitimate the source
You would like to think that after all the carry on with ‘fake news’ on much more important topics than a football team over the last 5 years or so people wouldn’t react to every bit of news they see taking it as gospel

When you sit back and look at our squad now we are only a centre back short. If JL leaves because he wants more players he’s actually of a different view of the squad to probably most fans are now

If there was ever a season to start with holding back on signings due to ffp then this is it… there are comfortably 6/7/8 worse teams than us this season and yet we’re being made out to be relegation favourites by many after Julen and his antics with his journalist mate
Quote of the day for me, excellent point of view

Reaction score
I really like Lop as a manager but as a bloke he comes across as a bit of a ****. The way he dealt with the Spanish national job, the way he ditched us in the past and all this crap now, he seems very hard work. Would I want him to stay? Yes. If he gets us results on the pitch thats all that matters, though I could imagine him jumping at the first chance. I never felt like that with Nuno, and Bruno would have never got that opportunity.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL feels it was pointless him Daniel and Hobbs lining up 5 to 6 targets and positions when nothing is happening. Feels his work done between Feb and June
Pointless practising penalties if you don't get to extra time

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i get that and he’s rightfully annoyed. but walk away or shut up and carry on, not you!!
Since his interview where he says goalposts on transfers changed and plan b not going ahead. He’s not said anything else has he? And has been getting on with what he’s got

Everything else since had been rumours and from third parties

All we’ve had since is Jeff letter and then seemingly reliable reports that we’ve looked at other managers as a backup, seemingly Gary ONeil. But in articles there it also said Lop hasn’t said he wants to go

But can’t go on like it is with everyone left guessing as to what is or isn’t going on. Jeff and Lop either need to make a statement to explain what the situation is otherwise rumours are just going to continue which does no one any good

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is where most fans are now that aren’t swayed by every little bit of news that they read on here or Twitter etc no matter how legitimate the source
You would like to think that after all the carry on with ‘fake news’ on much more important topics than a football team over the last 5 years or so people wouldn’t react to every bit of news they see taking it as gospel

When you sit back and look at our squad now we are only a centre back short. If JL leaves because he wants more players he’s actually of a different view of the squad to probably most fans are now

If there was ever a season to start with holding back on signings due to ffp then this is it… there are comfortably 6/7/8 worse teams than us this season and yet we’re being made out to be relegation favourites by many after Julen and his antics with his journalist mate
I agree, it was an underperforming team JL inherited that was then strengthened in the previous window.

I’m sure from JL’s POV he didn’t come here to be competing around mid table but if he’s as good as he thinks he should believe he can get the team to over perform beyond that, especially with a number of the “favourites” for those places having to deal with the demands of Europe for the first time which often takes its toll.

Then, as you say, with a bit more room from FFP, he can build on that base next year whilst many others around us will be feeling the squeeze.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the logical way forward is to sack shi, give lopetegui Scott and elvedi, finish 10th this season, but insist that we work within this scale of transfers each year
I agree with the general sentiments expressed in your email but feel we could well finish higher than tenth if we retain JL and recruit Scott and Elvedi.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Either do the the job or quit.

Don't just sit there getting paid to do it and complaining to your mate in the press at every opportunity.

Except he's doing the job he is paid to do.
He kept us up last season.
Right now the squad are looking the fittest they have been under Fosun, managing to sustain a press for the majority of 90mins.
The pre season results have been good.
Squad morale is high.

What's wrong with calling for a little more? We are one or two injuries away from disaster, such is the state of the squad depth.

A top class manager will always demand more from everybody - his players, the club. He wants to win.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right now the squad are looking the fittest they have been under Fosun, managing to sustain a press for the majority of 90mins.
Squad morale is high.

What's wrong with calling for a little more? We are one or two injuries away from disaster, such is the state of the squad depth.

A top class manager will always demand more from everybody - his players, the club. He wants to win.
Squad depth is the major concern. While we have only lost one key player, we have lost lots of options. Injuries will inevitably mount if you emphasise fitness and pressing. No good concluding from the Stade Rennais game that, "We're good enough." We won't be when the fixtures pile up around December and we've lost three or four to injury.

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have relocated 3 times through work. I have lived away from my wife for long periods during the relocations. During these periods I've felt like the role wasn't all it had been sold to be. I've also worked on major projects which have saved companies significant losses.

I can safely say that I wouldn't consider doing anything that Julen has done, no matter how well paid or public the position was. For that reason, I refuse to accept that he is the reasonable one in this dynamic. They all seem pretty unreasonable to me.
I hate to point this out, but maybe your position and JL’s position might be slightly different …

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Squad morale is high.

The fitness thing is a big issue for me. What was the stat under Lage? We never scored after the 65th minute? Could be we never managed a shot after 65th minute. Fitness-wise I thought we looked impressive on Saturday.

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
What I keep coming back to his JLO's comments that he only wants players that want to be at Wolves.

This was obviously a veiled dig at the previous transfer dealings and omplayers like Guedes. But, is it time he takes his own advice?

Or, should he just stop talking to his mate Balague etc and just get on with it. We have some very good players within our squad and him being a so called 'Elite' coach needs to show why he is considered so. Get the best out of them and improve them as players. We saw a glimpse over the last week albeit in friendlies.

Fosun, did change the goal posts but it's their perogative they are the owners and his boss. I am guessing a lot of us at work have had circumstances change on us as a minutes notice. The ability to adapt is a skill that I for one an Elite manager would have. But, instead he has moaned, moaned and moaned.

As Wolves fans you would think we would all be used to the negativity but this saga with JLO is exhausting and I for one believe he does need to shut up and get on with it or go (he won't because of the money)
Totally on the money there mate in that if he wants to show he is an elite coach then knuckle down and get the best out of this squad for this season then go again next summer when hopefully he’ll have financial backing. I’m still pretty sure we’ll get a couple in even if only loans but this squad is a very strong one albeit a tad short in certain areas. Surely if he wants a bigger job then doing well in this current predicament rather than walking away from it would give him a better chance… He and Shi both need time behind closed doors with some of our fans to tell them some home truths and to wind their necks in and get on with their jobs!!! It’s all getting very tedious and quite frankly doing my bleedin head in now!!!

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Squad depth is the major concern. While we have only lost one key player, we have lost lots of options. Injuries will inevitably mount if you emphasise fitness and pressing. No good concluding from the Stade Rennais game that, "We're good enough." We won't be when the fixtures pile up around December and we've lost three or four to injury.

And it's the same squad depth that caught us out last season.
"We'll be fine when the injuries come back" and we lose the best part of half a season waiting to become competitive again.

We never learn.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really like Lop as a manager but as a bloke he comes across as a bit of a ****. The way he dealt with the Spanish national job, the way he ditched us in the past and all this crap now, he seems very hard work. Would I want him to stay? Yes. If he gets us results on the pitch thats all that matters, though I could imagine him jumping at the first chance. I never felt like that with Nuno, and Bruno would have never got that opportunity.
I've got pelters on here for expressing the same view (when JLo did his press conference talking about how finances had changed). It seems many others are starting to realise what I'd been saying for some time.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hate to point this out, but maybe your position and JL’s position might be slightly different …

No maybe about it. They are definitely different.

However, if we are not allowed to relate our own personal experiences to this in order to add some context; then we are basically saying no one is qualified to add an opinion on it from either angle.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My employer recently announced a head count freeze for the rest of 2023 due to lower than expected financial performance. I was starting the recruitment process to expand my team when it was announced and that has been put on hold.

Maybe I should find a way to moan about this publicly and drag my employers name through the mud. It appears that that is an acceptable thing to do.
Eh, depends if I have the power to do so. I have done in the past.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the trouble is once this kind of thing starts the destructive effects just escalate until the situation becomes untenable. It looks like we are close to that point now. Perhaps news of a transfer could paper over the cracks.

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No maybe about it. They are definitely different.

However, if we are not allowed to relate our own personal experiences to this in order to add some context; then we are basically saying no one is qualified to add an opinion on it from either angle.
I was trying to add a little humour tbf, no actual harm intended.

The reality is elite sports isn’t really comparable to any other industry, the accountability for success or failure is certainly not life or death but it’s treated that way for many.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i get that and he’s rightfully annoyed. but walk away or shut up and carry on, not you!!
Here's the thing, and to play devil's advocate, but are you walking away from a couple million.

I know I've bemoaned it but my misses kindly pointed out that I did exactly the same in previous job as I got a 3 month payout should I get sacked, so I literally didn't budge until they got rid of me and gave me my payday. Hah.

MiddlesexWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
It’s disappointing that this is all out in the public domain.

We all had a reasonable idea that JL was unhappy with how things were before it all kicked off (again) yesterday. I doubt we will hear anything further from the club or specifically Jeff Shi, he’s already laid it out.

It’s easy to point the finger but I doubt there is anyone on the forum that truly knows the full story, both the clubs and JL’s.

Whatever happens, we have a game next Monday and whoever pulls on the shirt or is in the dugout on Monday should get our full support. I have a feeling the players will need us fans more than ever this season.

I hope JL stays, although I do wish these snippets would stop leaking out to the press. However, if he goes, he goes.

Last edited:

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was trying to add a little humour tbf, no actual harm intended.

The reality is elite sports isn’t really comparable to any other industry, the accountability for success or failure is certainly not life or death but it’s treated that way for many.

The post I replied to was a 'what would you do?' post aimed at me. I posted what I would have done based on my own experiences, only to be told it isn't comparable.

So basically I couldn't win. I either agreed with the sentiment or get told I'm not qualified to have an opinion if it differs.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is time to close range and get behind the lads.
I have no doubt that Lopetegui has been lied to by Jeff Shi and others.
However,there is a proper time and place to publically tell about those things.
This close to start of the season simply cannot be the right timing.

So..Lopetegui should just shut up for now,try to squeeze the best results possible out of our current squad..and look where we are in January.

Get behind the lads against Man u.
This goes for Jeff Shi,Julen Lopetegui and each and everyone of us that proudly calls us supporters of Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club.

COTW.Buy a corner shop...

badwolf

Reaction score
The positive perspective of all the noise around us at the moment is it makes us underdogs. Could create a siege mentality amongst the squad. Also, a mediocre season will look better on Lop’s record after the negative picture he has explained he has to manage. I don’t think he will walk without payout and I don’t think the club will sack him and pay him off. Neither make financial sense but we will see.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Managers will always want more players, and deeper squads. He should have had that discussion internally.

Then, if he’s turned down for more players then he either resigns or, having made his point, he shuts up and gets on with the job through to the next transfer window - safe in the knowledge that he can always say I told you so.

Then in January, if the situation calls for it we would have to find some money from somewhere to rescue the situation or he resigns if they won’t provide more cash.

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The post I replied to was a 'what would you do?' post aimed at me. I posted what I would have done based on my own experiences, only to be told it isn't comparable.

So basically I couldn't win. I either agreed with the sentiment or get told I'm not qualified to have an opinion if it differs.
I wasn’t having a dig, my first post was in humour, my second was referencing that you work in an industry that is life and death and sport is treated as such even though it isn’t.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have relocated 3 times through work. I have lived away from my wife for long periods during the relocations. During these periods I've felt like the role wasn't all it had been sold to be. I've also worked on major projects which have saved companies significant losses.

I can safely say that I wouldn't consider doing anything that Julen has done, no matter how well paid or public the position was. For that reason, I refuse to accept that he is the reasonable one in this dynamic. They all seem pretty unreasonable to me.

I spent my entire working career moving around at the request of my company, sometimes spending years apart from my family. Sure I had times when I get royally ****ed with my boss, even to the point of telling a couple of them what I thought of them, but I never felt the need to go complaining to the public, social media, or whatever. So I agree, Lopetegui is acting like a prima-donna and has thoroughly ****ed the club, me and many fans off.

But. The club, Jeff Shi and all, knew exactly what he was like when they hired him. He has form for this as we all know. So for that alone, they are equally culpable for the crap situation we find ourselves in. Beyond that, it’s now clear that the strategy has changed between when he signed, the start of the summer and now. Not because Shi lied necessarily, but because the guidance from China has changed - Phillips confirmed that this happened last summer too. So while I think Lop is being an ass, he is justified in being ****ed off having just left his successful career at Sevilla for similar reasons.

So I’m genuinely angry with both the club (our owners) and Lopetegui.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL needs to put his toys back in the pram. His boss has probably misled him. Suck it up, back your team, back yourself!!!! Or walk. Stop acting like the bird from Willy wonka who’s dad wouldn’t buy her the golden goose. You’re a premier league manager ffs….your already in the chocolate factory!!!

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
JL needs to put his toys back in the pram. His boss has probably misled him. Suck it up, back your team, back yourself!!!! Or walk. Stop acting like the bird from Willy wonka who’s dad wouldn’t buy her the golden goose. You’re a premier league manager ffs….your already in the chocolate factory!!!
CCC7249D-DBD9-4F73-88C2-7C47ECB7461F.gif

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every time I hover over the subject title of this thread and see 'been sacked apparently' my blood pressure goes through the roof!

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now being reported all over the place. Gary O’Neil! Gary O’Neil!!

Back
Top Bottom