Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sorry to disagree. Imho his football knowledge is poor. He's made some poor football judgements.
He'
What you are inferring is that the police, fire brigade or the military could be run by a banker.
Jeff is an accountant by trade as was Moxey but he understood his football better than Jeff and basketball in particular.
The only football judgement he’s made is on Silva who he admitted he agreed to. Above and beyond that he’s got an entire team on the “sports” side of the business. How many chairman in the league have a football background? They don’t need to, it’s not their remit. That’s why there are directors of football at clubs. Jeffs job is simple, he works within the parameters of owners.

The simplest way to look at how sucessful Jeff has been is that he’s been here 7 years now and Fosun are VERY shrewd when it comes to who heads up sections of the group and he’s still here, in fact during his time he’s actually been promoted within the group.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more. He had his opportunity to walk and they’ve clearly ironed things out
I hope you're right but loaning players to Rochdale and playing a friendly against the might of Luton may make him wonder what he's doing at Wolves? I'm sure him and his team had bigger things in mind.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're far more complex than a normal football club due to the Mendes links.

Who do we blame for that? It's ultimately Mendes players that have left us in this FFP mess, and, almost exclusively, the only big money we spend involves players that Mendes is involved with.

That's on Shi and Fosun, isn't it? They decided to go down that path deliberately.

Of course, it worked spectacularly at first, and I don't think any fan would change what we had, so not taking the debate that way.

But, the fact is we've spent so much on transfers and wages to Mendes players that haven't contributed, which is why we are where we are now.

We can debate other things, and they do play a part. But the primary reason for our struggles right now is the money wasted on Mendes, which has to be Shi and Fosun's fault. Just like it was to their credit after the first few years.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure how that makes us not hampered by FFP.

Without drowning in detail, we've got two big losses to come off and although the net spend of around £100m last season is amortised, that's still maybe £25m a season. So we weren't in a position to spend much on new players without raising the money and also cutting wages. Now we certainly have some room for manoeuvre, but before the sales we weren't. Neves on his own filled the potential hole, but then we need to lose fringe players to strengthen the starting XI, while making some smart squad purchases. So there's a process and we're half way through it, people just need to keep their **** together (which never seems possible on here in July!)
As you said we can't drown ourselves in detail but you are allowed to lose money . FFP allows £60 million losses in three years. Well we have just made £60 million profit on player sales in a month. And Kilman would make another £30 million.
And this podcast did do all the detailed work, concluding we have lots of FFP headroom available to spend and even more if we sell Kilman, I think they stated £80 million.

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope you're right but loaning players to Rochdale and playing a friendly against the might of Luton may make him wonder what he's doing at Wolves? I'm sure him and his team had bigger things in mind.
I wouldn’t have thought he’s bothered in the slightest who our 4th choice keeper gets loaned to if IM honest.

As for playing Luton, he’s probably more happy playing another premier league team than the usual lower end Spanish teams or English championship teams we normally get.

I’m sure he has frustrations like every head coach apart from Pep has (who gets whatever he wants, when he wants) but unless things have seriously changed in the last month since his meetings with the hierarchy I’ll assume he’s pretty happy.

I get fan frustrations about transfers but I think that’s fairly standard when we want to be spending other people’s money. Personally I’d rather they get the right players at the right fee rather than jumping in and doing a “forest”

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sorry to disagree. Imho his football knowledge is poor. He's made some poor football judgements.
What you are inferring is that the police, fire brigade or the military could be run by a banker.
Jeff is an accountant by trade as was Moxey but he understood his football better than Jeff and basketball in particular.
The only football judgement Shi needed to get right was the appointment of a senior man who did know about football.

That is the secret to why a CEO doesn’t have to be the expert , he does all the complex generalist business things the expert in football can’t do.
And IMO he got that wrong by appointing Sellars . A very poor decision IMO .

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only football judgement Shi needed to get right was the appointment of a senior man who did know about football.

That is the secret to why a CEO doesn’t have to be the expert , he does all the complex generalist business things the expert in football can’t do.
Shi should have been the first to be moved on at the end of last season.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Scott Sellars is clearly an amazing self publicist and snake oil salesman. He wouldn’t have been promoted so quickly and so vastly if he hadn’t bull****ted Jeff and everybody else involved that he was the best man for the job.

Think Lyle Langley from the monorail episode of The Simpsons.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scott Sellars is clearly an amazing self publicist and snake oil salesman. He wouldn’t have been promoted so quickly and so vastly if he hadn’t bull****ted Jeff and everybody else involved that he was the best man for the job.

Think Lyle Langley from the monorail episode of The Simpsons.
And he still isn't in a job by the looks of the Wikipedia page.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
11 teams out of 20 who have been active in the summer transfer market already. JL said that he wanted new players in by the start of pre season training and so far we have got a goalkeeper on a free transfer from Northampton Town.
I can only buy this, "the market is slow" canard to an extent. It's so slow, we've shipped out three players to buyers (two to English clubs) and have had solid links or negotiations away for Kilman (Lazio), Sa (Forest), RAN (Nice), Podence (Betis) and Sarabia (Galatasaray). Nothing doing in the other direction rumourwise besides Doc.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my experience the vast majority of SCSs are where they are because of time served, who you know not what you know etc etc

They would have a very low ceiling indeed in the private sector

In my experience, large firms in the private sector are just about the same as the public sector. In the UK, that is. Fosun may be different. But all companies get to a size where they are far from meritocracies. It's who you know, what school you went to, etc just the same. Witness the ease with which execs move between public sector and private sector. Again, not sure if that is the case in China, though I believe it likely to some extent, as it is just about unavoidable.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're far more complex than a normal football club due to the Mendes links.

What is a normal football club? Leeds, now 56% owned by the San Francisoco 49ers since June, with the Italian Radrizzani staying on in a minority ownership?
Forest perhaps, owned by a Greek shipping magnate and song writing lyricist? Or Everton...Iranian owned via a Russian holding company? Aston Villa, company owned by an Egyptian and American? Newcastle and Man City, owned by Countries? Or even Bournemouth, majority owned from Las Vegas and fronted by martial arts actor, Michael B Jordan?
Who knows what sort of mess and deals they have setup to function?
We're the most normal of all those.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Rather than log back over many pages (I have done a few) and apologies if this is old 'news', it seems Julen is the bookies favourite to be the first PL casualty of the coming season.
A road crash of a season ahead if they prove right.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rather than log back over many pages (I have done a few) and apologies if this is old 'news', it seems Julen is the bookies favourite to be the first PL casualty of the coming season.
I don’t take notice to these, it’s literally just a stab in the dark for bookies. I think we will be more than okay and our new look midfield will thrive

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Take comfort in the words of the great Dean Saunders, mate. "The bookies are never wrong. Oops we've been relegated..."

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s very sporting of the bookies to encourage you to put your money on things that they think are going to happen :)

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, saw that a couple of days ago but thought to myself, why bother dragging that story up again so I didn’t link it.

New season is on the way……….fresh start?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It’s very sporting of the bookies to encourage you to put your money on things that they think are going to happen :)
Literally the opposite though, making him favourite discourages people from betting on him.

The thing that always seems forgotten is that the bookies don't decide the odds, where gamblers are betting is what decides the odds and I'd imagine this is a small market. There are a couple of posters on here who've probably made him favourite, albeit not to be sacked, just to walk away.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe he doesn’t think he is. I presume he’s bright enough to know that.
In my experience , to be succesful in a leading role, the skill is to know/identify who to trust and what data to use. I would imagine people like Jeff have all sorts of experts and new data peddled to them. Some people will prove unreliable, some will be charlatans, its assembling the network that's key.

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score
I don’t take notice to these, it’s literally just a stab in the dark for bookies. I think we will be more than okay and our new look midfield will thrive
Probably comes off the back of the rumours he might leave a little while ago and with nothing much going on elsewhere there has unlikely been much activity to alter that particular betting market so personally I wouldn't take a lot of notice of it either.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Giles and Roberts , and all the other loans and outgoings , it really seems JL is acting like the new broom.
When he arrived he was going to have to be limited in his actions. Now he seems to me to be given a completely free rein.
And he is using it robustly.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Giles and Roberts , and all the other loans and outgoings , it really seems JL is acting like the new broom.
When he arrived he was going to have to be limited in his actions. Now he seems to me to be given a completely free rein.
And he is using it robustly.
This. Allied to his supposed healthy r'ship with Hobbs, it makes me fairly optimistic for what lies ahead. Some of the scaremongers have painted a rather gloomy picture. If the posts had been changed over last few weeks, then pretty sure JL would have walked.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This. Allied to his supposed healthy r'ship with Hobbs, it makes me fairly optimistic for what lies ahead. Some of the scaremongers have painted a rather gloomy picture. If the posts had been changed over last few weeks, then pretty sure JL would have walked.
He’s looking fairly happy in most of the recent clips I’ve seen of him.

He knows the score and it looks like he’s prepared to give it his best shot.

We’re lucky to have him.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder is JL motivated or would he be happy to take a pay off and walk away from this **** show.

League 1 again in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom