Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Neves

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is still players going to Saudi for more money with a questionable competition. I think the European tour might want to think they are important as well!
Kerry Packer did something similar with top level cricket in Australia in the mid 70s. Simply bought up most of the all-conquering Aussie test team of the time to play in his televised league, causing the temporary demise of Australia as a test team.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah, why? Hope you are right, but buying him for a SA club then loaning on to Newcastle seems a decent plan.
Because it flies in the face of FFP and the Saudi takeover was already looked at very closely.. they might get away with it once..

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Head turned? What on earth are you talking about?
He's as level headed as you can get. For my POV, this is many times better than a move to a PL team, and he doesn't have to play against us.
He has said all along how he loves wolves,and the ony reason he wants to leave is because he wants champions league football.Gewin to Saudi ay gonna get him playing in the champions league.It’s MONEY.He’s had his head turned.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brilliant for us but a bit of respect lost for Ruben from me. A footballer earning an absolute fortune should never be influenced by a poor move for more money, his life won't change due to earning 47 million as opposed to 30 million. Actually, I take that back, his life will change, the freedoms he and his missus currently have will go out the window and his missus will now be housebound for the most part.

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
Because it flies in the face of FFP and the Saudi takeover was already looked at very closely.. they might get away with it once..
How could they stop it though?

We loan players to Grasshoppers couldn’t that be argued as exactly the same thing with the strong ties between the clubs?

Alternatively the owners might say to Neves play in the Saudi league until January then Newcastle buy him for £5 million.

What powers could the Premier League have to stop these kind of details?

Not saying they can’t but interested to see how it would work out in practice

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brilliant for us but a bit of respect lost for Ruben from me. A footballer earning an absolute fortune should never be influenced by a poor move for more money, his life won't change due to earning 47 million as opposed to 30 million. Actually, I take that back, his life will change, the freedoms he and his missus currently have will go out the window and his missus will now be housebound for the most part.
Do you really think that world class players and their wives live like the hoi polloi in Saudi? It wouldn't surprise me if they have a 2nd residence just over the border in the UAE and come and go when they feel like it. Private plane no problem. He will be living tax free.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
I doubt he’ll notice much change in the way of freedom to be honest. He’ll live on a massive estate where local rules won’t really apply, and if they want a bit more freedom, the world is their oyster when they’ve got that much money.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

For a start, he will be earning 10x his current salary there. In just one year, he would earn more than he would likely earn for the rest of his career in Europe, and he’d still be only 27 after that. Assuming he stays for 2-3 years and then comes back to Europe, he will be able to afford to play wherever and for whatever he wants, and still young enough to achieve whatever sporting achievements he wishes to go for before the end of his career.

As for his wife and children. You’re assuming they will be living there full time. My guess is that they will visit, spend a little time there during season breaks and such like to show face for the club and state, and will spend the majority of their time back in Portugal, or perhaps more likely, closer by in Dubai, where they can enjoy a relaxed and luxurious lifestyle only 2 hrs away by plane.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has said all along how he loves wolves,and the ony reason he wants to leave is because he wants champions league football.Gewin to Saudi ay gonna get him playing in the champions league.It’s MONEY.He’s had his head turned.
You'd have yourn turned for what he will be paid! I dow blame im at all!

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The sun in Saudi isn't enjoyed, it's avoided.

Do you really think that world class players and their wives live like the hoi polloi in Saudi? It wouldn't surprise me if they have a 2nd residence just over the border in the UAE and come and go when they feel like it. Private plane no problem. He will be living tax free.

A fair point that. Certainly for his family to live in the emirates. Dunno how taxes would be if he isn't residing in Saudi full time though but then i guess that doesn't matter. Still a poor move if it is only for the money.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For a start, he will be earning 10x his current salary there. In just one year, he would earn more than he would likely earn for the rest of his career in Europe, and he’d still be only 27 after that. Assuming he stays for 2-3 years and then comes back to Europe, he will be able to afford to play wherever and for whatever he wants, and still young enough to achieve whatever sporting achievements he wishes to go for before the end of his career.

As for his wife and children. You’re assuming they will be living there full time. My guess is that they will visit, spend a little time there during season breaks and such like to show face for the club and state, and will spend the majority of their time back in Portugal, or perhaps more likely, closer by in Dubai, where they can enjoy a relaxed and luxurious lifestyle only 2 hrs away by plane.
Pretty much what I said above. Loads of people do this, even people who earn a lot less than he will be earning. The Saudis know the score. They'll have a 2nd home on the palm Island in Dubai, just like David Beckham has.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The idea that he will be loaned back to Newcastle is laughable. He'll stay in Saudi for three years max and the come back and play in Europe, even though he won't need the money. But in 3 years things may look very different in world football. Saudi Arabia is intent on becoming a power in world club football.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a Wolves fan I’m delighted at getting that kind of fee for him with just a year left on his contract.

As a Neves fan… I’m a bit gutted to be honest. He’s being mocked by other fans for going over there in his prime years. He should be turning out for one of the big boys in The Champions League.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Devastated it’s finally time for him to leave,

But this has been rather significantly softened by the fact Wolves (yes, Wolves) are getting £47 million ****ing pounds for a player with 12 months left on his contract. Sheeezzz.

I’m disappointed we won’t see him in the CL but glad I won’t have to watch him on MOTD next season in another PL teams shirt (or so we believe).

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you think that Ronaldo's missus is housebound? I somehow doubt it.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kerry Packer did something similar with top level cricket in Australia in the mid 70s. Simply bought up most of the all-conquering Aussie test team of the time to play in his televised league, causing the temporary demise of Australia as a test team.
I wasn't aware that the authorities in Australia were summarily executing people. But yes, Packer did disrupt cricket and I would say it was very much to the benefit of the players. In golf, I'm very tired of listening to multi-millionaire players whining about their lot. I've actually been in the media center when Mickelson whinged about a bump on the green while pocketing over $1.4 million. It didn't relate to anyone else in that room and it really doesn't now.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that the authorities in Australia were summarily executing people. But yes, Packer did disrupt cricket and I would say it was very much to the benefit of the players. In golf, I'm very tired of listening to multi-millionaire players whining about their lot. I've actually been in the media center when Mickelson whinged about a bump on the green while pocketing over $1.4 million. It didn't relate to anyone else in that room and it really doesn't now.
Your first sentence is completely irrelevant and not at all funny.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're actively looking to sell him, let's not ignore that.
Of course we are.He ony has a year left on his contract.He’s bin loyal to wolves for 6 years .He wanted champions league football and he probably thought he was gonna sign for Barcelona.In his interview the last game of the season he said everyone knows what I think of this club,my wife and children who were born here love it.But I’ve never kept it a secret that I want to play champions league football.He also said he was not keen on joining another English club as he didn’t want to play against us.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your first sentence is completely irrelevant and not at all funny.
Oh... so we're just going to ignore what that regime does in terms of human rights? Seems it was a big deal to people when talking about the players going to LIV golf but when it's football it doesn't matter as long as we make money from them? Absolute double standards.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't understand the loss of respect attitude towards Ruben by those (most of us I guess) who have never met him and have no idea why he has decided on this move. He has never given less than 100% for the cause and has always shown total civility and politeness towards fans. In time we will wonder how he ever played for us and for so long. Sad but not a shock.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't understand the loss of respect attitude towards Ruben by those (most of us I guess) who have never met him and have no idea why he has decided on this move. He has never given less than 100% for the cause and has always shown total civility and politeness towards fans. In time we will wonder how he ever played for us and for so long. Sad but not a shock.
I think it’s very few tbh.. most seem to understand it entirely.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh... so we're just going to ignore what that regime does in terms of human rights? Seems it was a big deal to people when talking about the players going to LIV golf but when it's football it doesn't matter as long as we make money from them? Absolute double standards.
What the hell are you on about? I know the region very well, having worked in the Gulf States for 10 years and been professionally involved with it for over 50. No way do I ignore or condone what the KSA does in terms of human rights. I was just comparing how the Saudis go about their business in the world of sport with other moneybags of the past like Kerry Packer. If you think I am in any way supportive of the Saudi regime, I can only conclude you are semi-literate or attempting to points score (as usual). If Neves wants to play in Saudi, good luck to him. I have never set foot in the place and have no desire to.

Back
Top Bottom