Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Next manager

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not a hate for Rob Edwards in my case at least. It is doubts about his ability to reshape a PL team and, while l admire how well he has done with Luton given the constraints that he's operated under, real doubts about the style of football that they play. Let's just say that past precedent suggests that it would be doomed to fail in the PL. I also note how well his Luton predecessor did at Saints.....
Can't think of any simple question about potential new managers could include Rob Edwards as a possible answer unless it includes desperation, fire sales and relegation.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't think of any simple question about potential new managers could include Rob Edwards as a possible answer unless it includes desperation, fire sales and relegation.
I think that is the likely end-state l agree.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
BBN
Bog standard managers seem to get by ok without the millions. Brentford, & Brighton seem to manage why cant we,
If he cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen, but once again this is probably paper talk as usual or agents upping the target, so don't panic yet

Last edited:

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was miles behind Kompany at Burnley. Fair enough, Burnley just relegated. But plenty of clubs have fallen further and he's done a complete revamp of playing style at Burnley. My point is, we'll be competing with Kompany next season, why would we want the manager who finished a distant third behind him? Luton in the same position as Q.P.R. were when Beale left, should we consider him, too? :p

And Lage did fine at Sheff Wed. Couldn't hack it in this league, though. Beats me how anybody can still think we should be plundering the riches of the Championship for a manager who can get us top 8 Premier League. Yes, it is a stepping stone for some for greater things. But a tiny minority can cut it in the Premeir League. Might as well get Steve Davis back, he's about Championship level and we saw what we would get.

What a strange take, Luton were 12th when he took over after 21 games and likely with a tiny fraction of Burnley’s budget. No one’s saying Edwards should get the job, just said I don’t get the hate he’s clearly had real success that people here so quick to diminish for reasons I don’t really understand that appear to just be he was on the coaching staff in a pretty dull period.

Plus Lage was never in charge of Sheff Wed he was Carvalhals assistant.

I bet you’d have derided De Zerbi because he’d only been in lower Italian teams or in Ukraine. Where do you think managers get experience?

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tell me that your steely heart wouldn't melt to watch Wolves Media releasing an intro video set to sombre piano music, on a grey, blustery railway platform in the driving rain, and a line of passengers decked out in dejected monochrome, and then a train slowly pulls away to reveal a figure on the opposite platform dressed in rich gold and black, who carefully raises his head and smiles to the camera behind his familiar bushy beard, and says, gently, "Hello, my friends. Now, where were we...?"
I don't care one jot about any video but Nuno coming back would be a massive mistake although I imagine he wouldn't touch us with a barge poll anyway.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a strange take, Luton were 12th when he took over after 21 games and likely with a tiny fraction of Burnley’s budget. No one’s saying Edwards should get the job, just said I don’t get the hate he’s clearly had real success that people here so quick to diminish for reasons I don’t really understand that appear to just be he was on the coaching staff in a pretty dull period.
I don't get where the accusation of hate is coming from? When people are not good enough for a job, it doesn't mean they are hated, when they get rejected.

Also, De Zerbi took Sassuolo to two 8th place finishes in Serie A. That's light years ahead of what Edwards has achieved. And actually closer to the kind of track record a club at our level should be considering. Someone who has led a less fashionable club to compete with the giants.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those annoyed by this thread, a) don't read it, and b) it's a football forum not an open letter to JL, Shi & Guo!

Another vote for Graham Potter. He's had a cracking managerial career so far and the Chelsea debacle does nothing to tarnish that for me. He plays flexible, attractive football and he's English.

It would be embarrassing though if JL left and I'm not sure we could then attract a manager of Potter's calibre, we'd look like a basket case club without ambition, who are about to lose their best player, in a crumbling (exaggerated for effect) ground, in the unfashionable West Midlands. But I can't see it personally, as much as I don't like what seems to be JL's approach here, I reckon it's a bargaining position.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not heartless but pragmatic, we need to try and entertain a bit which we haven't done since the Championship, football in his last season was absolutely terrible.
It's okay, I agree, I just have a warped sense of humour. The last few days have been ludicrous, I'm just sick of the lot of them now and looking forward to summer...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not heartless but pragmatic, we need to try and entertain a bit which we haven't done since the Championship, football in his last season was absolutely terrible.
I think that you were in a bloody small minority if you weren't entertained in the FA Cup and Europa League runs. Let's carefully ignore the cause of that "absolutely terrible" football, why not? Not to mention that most of the two seasons since has, at best, been no better.....

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those annoyed by this thread, a) don't read it, and b) it's a football forum not an open letter to JL, Shi & Guo!

Another vote for Graham Potter. He's had a cracking managerial career so far and the Chelsea debacle does nothing to tarnish that for me. He plays flexible, attractive football and he's English.

It would be embarrassing though if JL left and I'm not sure we could then attract a manager of Potter's calibre, we'd look like a basket case club without ambition, who are about to lose their best player, in a crumbling (exaggerated for effect) ground, in the unfashionable West Midlands. But I can't see it personally, as much as I don't like what seems to be JL's approach here, I reckon it's a bargaining position.
How about stop talking complete rubbish and walk the dog for a change.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a waste of time. We may as well have a “which stand do you want to redevelop next” thread. Just as likely and relevant.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't care one jot about any video but Nuno coming back would be a massive mistake although I imagine he wouldn't touch us with a barge poll anyway.

How will you feel if/when Nuno takes over another club in England and soon has them sailing past us? His track record is way ahead of the likes of Potter and Edwards. He's an excellent manager and if we don't get him, someone else will benefit.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What is so impressive about Potters track record? Serious question.

Swansea - 10th in Championship
Brighton - 15th, 16th, 9th

I don't see anything to be impressed by.

There are managers with far better track record all over Europe. Look at the Serie A, Monza in 8th. A bigger achievement than anything Potter has done. (and is where De Zerbi came from, at Sassuolo, again better track record than Potter) . Or the Bundesliga, there's clubs like Union Berlin and Freiberg up in the top 7. Am far from expert, obviously, but just to show that there are managers out there doing better than Potter. We are a team of internationals from all over the world and need a manager with the gravitas to handle it.

I think we could do worse than Potter, but he is very uninspiring, so we could also do a lot better. He gets a ton of media hype and people repeat it uncritically, perhaps unaware of much going on outside the Premier League. Unless things have got so bad we are just having one eye on a manager happy to manage us in the Championship again.

What's not to like? :p

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get where the accusation of hate is coming from? When people are not good enough for a job, it doesn't mean they are hated, when they get rejected.

Also, De Zerbi took Sassuolo to two 8th place finishes in Serie A. That's light years ahead of what Edwards has achieved. And actually closer to the kind of track record a club at our level should be considering. Someone who has led a less fashionable club to compete with the giants.

Search his name on this forum, especially around the time he was linked with being interim in November.

How do you know he’s not good enough? He’s had 2 serious jobs and succeeded at them both, taking Forest Green to the league two title, without him they sacked his replacement mid season and finished bottom of league one. He took over Luton in 12th and got them 3rd and to the play off final having made 3 loan signings in Jan and sold one of their best defenders to Southampton. If he didn’t have the previous connections we’d be saying he looks like a really interesting up and coming manager. Again no one’s saying he should be the next boss after Lopetegui, but to rule him out or say he’s not good enough seems very harsh based on obvious ability

Just for the record it’s worth pointing out Graham Potter in his only championship season took newly relegated Swansea with parachute payments etc to 10th, he then got the Brighton job when they were already premier league

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Search his name on this forum, especially around the time he was linked with being interim in November.

How do you know he’s not good enough? He’s had 2 serious jobs and succeeded at them both, taking Forest Green to the league two title, without him they sacked his replacement mid season and finished bottom of league one. He took over Luton in 12th and got them 3rd and to the play off final having made 3 loan signings in Jan and sold one of their best defenders to Southampton. If he didn’t have the previous connections we’d be saying he looks like a really interesting up and coming manager. Again no one’s saying he should be the next boss after Lopetegui, but to rule him out or say he’s not good enough seems very harsh based on obvious ability

Just for the record it’s worth pointing out Graham Potter in his only championship season took newly relegated Swansea with parachute payments etc to 10th, he then got the Brighton job when they were already premier league

When we were perennials in the Championship, then perhaps a League 2 title win or taking a team from 12th to 3rd in the Championship would have made us envy a manager. But I just cant' see it being anywhere near the level we are at and need now.

When we got Dean Saunders, he'd won a League 1 title. Big deal.

If you can't rule out a league 2 title winner as being not high enough qualification for a mid-table Premier League club
, then what can you rule out? A manager who takes Accrington Stanley from 18th to 10th? That guy who took Solihull Moors to a Conference play off?

We would become a laughing stock and I am wondering if you are having a bit of a joke!

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In fairness.. it took De Zerbi quite a few failures and mediocre terms to get that point.

Edwards is still quite early in his career and has done quite well from his roles to date.. if he gets Luton up, he will be competing against giants. If he does very well at that, he will probably already be out of our league sadly.

I am not saying we should have gone for Edwards.. just don’t get the disrespect he sometimes get on here, he’s doing a good job.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone but Rodgers, Rob Edwards, Nathan Jones, Bruno Lage, Dean Saunders, Peter Bosz, Michael Beale, Paul Lambert, Walter Zenga or anyone Fosun would otherwise consider appointing (except Nuno and Lopetegui)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How will you feel if/when Nuno takes over another club in England and soon has them sailing past us? His track record is way ahead of the likes of Potter and Edwards. He's an excellent manager and if we don't get him, someone else will benefit.
Some folk are so desperate not to be proved to have been utterly wrong.... Nose, spite and face - generate a well-known phrase...

Back
Top Bottom