Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Verdict thread vs West Ham

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A great win in an important match, how many times have we bottled these types of games. My observations:
1. We are taking more risks with our passing, we often played the more difficult ball that would get higher reward than the safe ball. Also the speed of our passing was better but still needs to improve. Similarly the accuracy of our passing needs to improve, we still played our way into trouble with sloppy passes.
2. For the first time for ages we sustained pressure, both in the first and second half we had periods where we kept them under pressure winning 2nd balls.
3. Hwang and Semedo had their best games for me. Semedo needs to be a little bit more confident, a couple of times he had space in front of him but was looking for the pass.
4. Our subs were well timed
5. Our forward play is improving, I thought Cunha led the line well but he also looks he will make a good second striker.
6. RAN will become a left midfielder or wide forward. Needs to be more confident shooting.
7. West Ham are very physical, typical Moyes, and we’re helped by the ref massively. Without Rice they would be down but he is a poor man’s Ruben Neves. Plays the same role but has none of the great man’s skills.

Survive this season and I think we will return to challenging for Europe and also in the cups.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So did Moysey leave Dawson behind and pick up his toys as he left??? Wonder how long it will be before hear the words “bid accepted”

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nice little draw next week between West Ham and Everton keeps us out the bottom 3 whilst we navigate the City fixture.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't mind admitting I was in tears as I staggered out of the BWU at the end. Everybody round me was on their feet for the last 10 willing the lads on to victory. Heart rate well over 100. Verdict? This is why we love football. After 70 years of watching I still need the fix. JL you are already a legend.
Great post, wish I could still make games!!

T

TheConcourse

Disagree. Although he wasn't punished today again there were occasions when he was slow to push out and get back into position.

Unlike Jonny who is sadly suffering from serious injuries I just feel Nelson lacks that desire to really get back and defend.

Of all the players I feel he has stepped his game up the least since Julen came in, seems like everyone else is playing better.

Hwang isn't a right winger and I'm looking forward to seeing Sarabia in that position but he still offers plenty in terms of workrate and is the current best option.

Lemina looked physical but I wonder if it means pushing Nunes forward? I just thin Nunes plays best as he is now, I'd actually like to see Lemina in the Moutinho role relentlessly pressing and trying to get into the box.

Raul was never finished, I've supported him staunchly and I'm glad to see it paying off now he's getting fit and in a team creating chances I really don't think we need a centre forward, especially as I don't see Cunha playing one of the wide positions he's definitely a central player.

Dawson and a right back for me please.
I only recall Nelson getting beat once. That was shortly after Benrahma came on and took it the byline.

Don’t recall any other moments when he struggled to get back in.

When you analyse his performances under JL versus, let’s say, Brighton at home, then I’d argue he’s been the most improved.

kinyo298

Reaction score
Ive wanted to see progression and over the last few games , i have. Long may it continue.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence has now scored in wins against Saints, Everton and West Ham (all games we've won by one goal).

For all he can be frustrating, he's consistently been out difference maker. He's never hidden or stopped giving 100%, even when he's lost form and fans have got on his back. I think he's underrated as a footballer, but is exactly the kind of character we need for a relegation battle.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that the aim of the tippy tappy as you describe it is to suck the opposition in and create spaces for a quick counter-attack. Nearly worked once today but, as you say, still scares the heck out of me.....
It worked for the goal, no? Quick pass by Podence (I think) to release Semedo on the edge of our box.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just went and had a read of a West Ham forum. They agreed with our assessment of Moyes' post-match comments, "Deluded ****" and "on the columbian marching powder" were two of the more polite comments.

Also, interesting that Rice is being chastised for not chasing back for the goal. I watched the goal a few times and it is clear Ogbonna and Soucek try their best but Rice doesn't even make it back into shot. Is that the kind of commitment £100m buys you nowadays?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It worked for the goal, no? Quick pass by Podence (I think) to release Semedo on the edge of our box.
No, the goal came from a West Ham corner. There were a couple of times it worked a treat though, we'd sucked in half their team and really were under pressure but got the ball out (think to Semedo both times) and were able to launch the counter

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that the aim of the tippy tappy as you describe it is to suck the opposition in and create spaces for a quick counter-attack. Nearly worked once today but, as you say, still scares the heck out of me.....
Yep, modern tactics, I'm alright with it but it gives me kittens! My dad sitting behind me goes mad about it!

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You serious about Collins? He was abject and a disaster waiting to happen. And Nunes, poor? He made the bloody goal. Are you on the wind up?
Collins is a disaster waiting to happen every game..hope we get dawson Monday

19th Holer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** me. Just ignore all the clearances, passes out and everything else he did to contribute for a clean sheet and 3 points and pick on one error. Every player has an error in them, even the best, and luckily for us today, none of them cost us three points.

Glass half empty? Nah, your glass is smashed into tiny bits and you’ve run on it with bare feet… ;)
Trouble is Collins has at least one Stearman moment every game and it's not good enough at this level.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh how we needed this. Very nervy at the end, but it always seems to be for us.

My ratings based on watching it on the tv:

Sa 6
Semedo 8
Collins 8
Kilman 7
Bueno 7
Neves 7
Nunes 7
Moutinho 8
Hwang 6
Cunha 6
Podence 7

Subs:
Raul 7
Lemina 7
Adama 5
Ait-Nouri 6
Toti n/a

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
thought we were compact, hard working and creative.
told you, our manager can literally polish a turd.
Yow ay wrong. He's sorted this lot right out. The CBs know to defend first, play second, Semedo has clearly been given instructions to attack, the rest have to chase the ball a bit (when reasonable obviously) not jog about like ponces. Attacking-wise it's gonna take a while but we were alright. Deserved a 1-0.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonderful win and very very important.

Nunes and Semedo excellent all game.
My man Pod coming through again

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We've got the players to absorb a press and counter with pace and accuracy.
We've got the players to press our opposition into a mistake.
We've got players to break up play and regain possession, none of it means **** unless you've got a man that commands respect in the dressing room. A manager to show these players the sort of encouragement they need to realise Thier massive potential. Its very early days but could we have asked for any more in terms of immediate improvement?

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We've got the players to absorb a press and counter with pace and accuracy.
We've got the players to press our opposition into a mistake.
We've got players to break up play and regain possession, none of it means **** unless you've got a man that commands respect in the dressing room. A manager to show these players the sort of encouragement they need to realise Thier massive potential. Its very early days but could we have asked for any more in terms of immediate improvement?

We couldn’t could we? The difference between pre Lopetegui and what we have now is simply night and day.

The man is a god.

He is basically Nuno on Steroids and I love him

Reaction score
Podence has now scored in wins against Saints, Everton and West Ham (all games we've won by one goal).

For all he can be frustrating, he's consistently been out difference maker. He's never hidden or stopped giving 100%, even when he's lost form and fans have got on his back. I think he's underrated as a footballer, but is exactly the kind of character we need for a relegation battle.
I think his name needs to be sang loud & proud.

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Love that - his energy and passion are a breathe of fresh air

He’s got me excited about match days again. And I’m going through a very single pass and screaming again.

I owe him my sanity again.

Don’t know about you mate but I’d hit the point of not being ***** at all under Lage

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Really pleased with the organisation, workrate, appetite and discipline which JLo has instilled, the players are showing they can live up to their pedigree at last. Delighted to see Semedo show some quality though he still lacks craft in the final third to some extent. Apart from Collins one aberration our defending was excellent. We still lack accuracy in our attacking combinations in the final third which didn’t help Cuhna, who hasn’t quite tuned into the physicality of PL defending.

Lemina looked very promising, maybe Raul can yet return nearer to previous standards and we still have new players arriving. Important to keep our nerve and as JLo says take one game at a time..UTW

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I only recall Nelson getting beat once. That was shortly after Benrahma came on and took it the byline.

Don’t recall any other moments when he struggled to get back in.

When you analyse his performances under JL versus, let’s say, Brighton at home, then I’d argue he’s been the most improved.

Yes I'd agree he wasn't beaten loads and I don't think that's ever been a Semedo flaw.

Wasn't there that statistic floating about him being dribbled past the least in Europe?

But there were occasions where he had carried it up field and then lacked urgency to get back.

One where he left Podence I think? Out wide defending 2 v 1 after a throw I think? Nelson had gone into the box for god knows what reason and he's lucky it went unpunished.

I only remember it cause I discussed it at the game, maybe I'm entirely wrong and it would be nice to have the match to replay and highlight either that I'm right or clueless haha

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

Has taken a fair bit of stick on here but currently on target to hit double figures in the League.

If he can stay fit, he could be crucial to us staying up this year.

T

TheConcourse

Yes I'd agree he wasn't beaten loads and I don't think that's ever been a Semedo flaw.

Wasn't there that statistic floating about him being dribbled past the least in Europe?

But there were occasions where he had carried it up field and then lacked urgency to get back.

One where he left Podence I think? Out wide defending 2 v 1 after a throw I think? Nelson had gone into the box for god knows what reason and he's lucky it went unpunished.

I only remember it cause I discussed it at the game, maybe I'm entirely wrong and it would be nice to have the match to replay and highlight either that I'm right or clueless haha
I’ve gone full circle on Semedo. Loved the guy, thought he was immense defensively last season, all the way through to him being a total liability.

He’s winning me back over, so I probably overlook certain moments in-play to validate my own bias tbh.

That’s my way of saying I don’t remember it, you’re wrong, don’t ever knock him again ;)

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were head and shoulders above West Ham today. Only tiredness in the last 15 made it harder work than it needed to be.

Semedo was outstanding. I also thought Hwang worked his *******s off and linked play very well even if he wasn’t a constant threat. Cunha has a real touch of class about him. Nunes is now looking like a bargain!!

I love this club!!!!

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’ve gone full circle on Semedo. Loved the guy, thought he was immense defensively last season, all the way through to him being a total liability.

He’s winning me back over, so I probably overlook certain moments in-play to validate my own bias tbh.

That’s my way of saying I don’t remember it, you’re wrong, don’t ever knock him again ;)

He's very frustrating because he can do it all I just think he has lapsed in concentration and that's his main flaw and a costly one but not today but it was still there just wasn't exposed.

Unlucky for Semedo he is the experienced pro with the big price tag so I'll admit I watched him a lot more than Bueno for instance.

I think Semedo and Hwang could do with approaching the game more like Vardy, neck 3 red bulls, 2 espressos and stick a nicotine patch on and come out really fired up.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves got MOTM but still.

I'm not a Semedo basher but it's a fact on another day he gets punished and he has that in him every week and at his age it won't change.

Gets forward and doesn't get back and sometimes caught ball watching. Lopetegui was furious with him on several occasions.
Ruben was MoM, but then I'm biased :smile:

Back
Top Bottom