Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The evidence

Offside?

• No

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • No again

Votes: 116 68.6%

• Total voters

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats my view. Dean is the most experienced character here, and the one with the worst history of game-changing decisions.

He worked out the only way to do this was by creating an on the field decision.

But in all the tricks and flicks of the refs' cartel, this is the most risky one, the loaded gun in a locked drawer. Its the one that leaves traces, that are difficult to deny.

(Both in terms of the communication from Stockley Park to the referee, and then the physical indication, plus possible audio, from the referee to the linesman. )

So you have a blatantly incorrect call, evidenced by numerous pieces of photographic and video evidence, and visual and possibly audio evidence of setting up the only scenario which could allow for the goal to be cancelled. Followed by the mysterious absence of the relevant video angles for the VAR ref to make a correct call.

I cannot recall a situation where the corruption of the ref. cartel has been as clear and provable as this one.

Wolves must stand their ground.
Even if all this were true and evidence did exist to support it I cannot see that it will ever be made public, or that Wolves will receive anything more than a diplomatic response to anything they have raised. Unless there is an appetite for litigation by the club, which I doubt there is, the matter will be forgotten by all except Wolves supporters.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even if all this were true and evidence did exist to support it I cannot see that it will ever be made public, or that Wolves will receive anything more than a diplomatic response to anything they have raised. Unless there is an appetite for litigation by the club, which I doubt there is, the matter will be forgotten by all except Wolves supporters.
Some interesting points here;

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which underscores the point, that any litigation is extremely unlikely and any other form of concession, or admission of guilt, by anyone within the football authorities is just not happening. It's over!

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the best aspects of the game in my day was the simplicity of the rules - the same simple rules could be applied on a parks pitch as a top flight game. The changes to VAR and the offside rules has destroyed the enjoyment of the game in my opinion.
The offside rule has been made so complex, indecipherable and defiant of common sense, it has escaped the reasonable understanding of the common man who watches the game. Good luck explaining it to your spouse these days. The law should be rebuilt from the ground up on the basis of sensible material advantage.

Would any reasonable fan complain if Salah had been flagged offside? He was stood in an offside position for a pass aimed directly at him, and was still offside when the ball ricocheted off of Toti (who in my opinion was scrambling to make a difficult header and was not in full control). Especially silly when the ruling only next door in Scotland appears to be different and called a Celtic player offside recently.

That Nunes was yards onside notwithstanding, the ball did not travel towards the Liverpool goal, he was running backwards to receive it, and he was onside when he received it. He gained no material advantage over the opposition defence, just like Neto when he was ludicrously flagged against Leicester. If the player is traveling away from the goal and is onside when he receives it, he should not be flagged offside. It seems like common sense.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The offside rule has been made so complex, indecipherable and defiant of common sense, it has escaped the reasonable understanding of the common man who watches the game. Good luck explaining it to your spouse these days. The law should be rebuilt from the ground up on the basis of sensible material advantage.

Would any reasonable fan complain if Salah had been flagged offside? He was stood in an offside position for a pass aimed directly at him, and was still offside when the ball ricocheted off of Toti (who in my opinion was scrambling to make a difficult header and was not in full control). Especially silly when the ruling only next door in Scotland appears to be different and called a Celtic player offside recently.

That Nunes was yards onside notwithstanding, the ball did not travel towards the Liverpool goal, he was running backwards to receive it, and he was onside when he received it. He gained no material advantage over the opposition defence, just like Neto when he was ludicrously flagged against Leicester. If the player is traveling away from the goal and is onside when he receives it, he should not be flagged offside. It seems like common sense.
But Nunes was clearly onside when the ball was played by Hwang, (probably onside when played by Collins too, although that is not relevant given the law).

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But Nunes was clearly onside when the ball was played by Hwang, (probably onside when played by Collins too, although that is not relevant given the law).
Absolutely he was onside, but even if he weren't, he had to move away from the opponent's goal and the Liverpool defensive line to receive the pass. If anything he was slightly disadvantaged by his initial position. This is a rule they apparently and inexplicably changed some time ago. If a player is onside when he receives the ball, there isn't really a credible argument to flag them in my opinion.

Last edited:

SE10 Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats my view. Dean is the most experienced character here, and the one with the worst history of game-changing decisions.

He worked out the only way to do this was by creating an on the field decision.

But in all the tricks and flicks of the refs' cartel, this is the most risky one, the loaded gun in a locked drawer. Its the one that leaves traces, that are difficult to deny.

(Both in terms of the communication from Stockley Park to the referee, and then the physical indication, plus possible audio, from the referee to the linesman. )

So you have a blatantly incorrect call, evidenced by numerous pieces of photographic and video evidence, and visual and possibly audio evidence of setting up the only scenario which could allow for the goal to be cancelled. Followed by the mysterious absence of the relevant video angles for the VAR ref to make a correct call.

I cannot recall a situation where the corruption of the ref. cartel has been as clear and provable as this one.

Wolves must stand their ground.
Hear hear.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if Madley gestured to the AR because Dean had communicated to him ?
That’s my guess. And with there being no available VAR camera, it kinda begs the question why he would do that.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Until a member of the cartel spills the beans there will be no change.

The usual way to do this is to lean on the most vulnerable of the cartel with all sorts of legal threats in the hope they break, that is how it works in business.

Snarlingwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Occam's razor has never been the most popular tool around here though. Why go for something plausibily simple when you can construct a complex conspiracy around things?
(Have you watched many football matches?)

- Because the normal chain of events for a referee, following a goal being scored, is firstly to glance over at the linesman and, if he has his flag down and walking back to the centre line (as this was the case here), is then to point to the centre circle to signal the goal. If someone was offside, that is up to VAR to check.

When the ball went in the net and the Wolves fans & players were celebrating, this referee looked at the retreating linesman and clearly gestured to him to put his flag up!!! The linesman is then seen to retreat and raise his flag.

And you see nothing wrong or suspicious about this referee’s actions in this situation?

Coupled with the unusual behaviour of the referee is the fact that the VAR official (Dean) is a resident of the Wirral and has two sons who are Liverpool Season Ticket Holders.

There appears to be one or two very naïve people around here.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazing really through all this we have forgotten the farce that is the Salah goal. How that cannot be offside is beyond any logic I can come up with.

Burford T Justice

Reaction score
Amazing really through all this we have forgotten the farce that is the Salah goal. How that cannot be offside is beyond any logic I can come up with.
That's a law that 100% needs to be changed. Farcical that the goal was allowed to stand but under the laws it's possible to see why it was. Yet if flagged offside I've no doubt it would not have been changed to a goal

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a law that 100% needs to be changed. Farcical that the goal was allowed to stand but under the laws it's possible to see why it was. Yet if flagged offside I've no doubt it would not have been changed to a goal

To be fair I think the interpretation of that rule should be straight forward.

If a pass is made to a certain area and then a defender slices, clears or deflects it into another direction or player then no flag. If it is played to the player that ends up receiving the ball then offside. Zero doubt in my mind that if we score that goal it gets ruled out.

Burford T Justice

Reaction score
To be fair I think the interpretation of that rule should be straight forward.

If a pass is made to a certain area and then a defender slices, clears or deflects it into another direction or player then no flag. If it is played to the player that ends up receiving the ball then offside. Zero doubt in my mind that if we score that goal it gets ruled out.
Absolutely agree with all of this

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
Can someone at wolves tell us what the set up for VAR is at molineux, are the cameras in situ 24/7 or only brought by tv companies every game. Once in place who checks the system is working, is it a club official, the ref or the VAR team? Do the cameras cover all the pitch? If there’s a problem before or during the game, who is informed?

1. I’d like to know why there was no camera angle covering the Liverpool penalty area
2, was a camera faulty or tampered with?
3. Was anyone informed when this camera was reported “not covering and very important area of the pitch”?

We will never get to the bottom of this, trust in the refereeing system including VAR must be at an all time low for non big 6 supporters, do season ticket holders get questioned each season on o-inions on this?

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It isn't a complex conspiracy though is it. We can quite clearly see the linesman has been influenced by the referee.
The "complex conspiracy" comes with the gigantic leap - from seeing some interaction between referee and linesman, which is far from "clear" in motivation or sequence of initiation, to knowing the whole thing has been set up between multiple officials and the complicity of official bodies, for personal gain, corporate advantage, or to benefit a team that one of them has sons who hold season tickets of.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm confused.... why can't we directly ask the referee why he encouraged the linesman to raise the flag, and insist on an answer? Then use this answer to decide if any dodginess was going on.

No one in the game should be beyond reproach.

Just explain.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although outraged at the time, I did give myself a quick smile last night when Ruben went to the referee holding Nunes boot.

Those who've seen the Monty Python film "Life of Brian" will I hope understand why.

Attachments

• sign.jpeg
    sign.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 18

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm confused.... why can't we directly ask the referee why he encouraged the linesman to raise the flag, and insist on an answer? Then use this answer to decide if any dodginess was going on.

No one in the game should be beyond reproach.

Just explain.
Because in the real world, outside of the twittersphere, no one can insist on an answer and expect to get it, from anybody unless there is a specific legal requirement for them to do so - which in these circumstances there isn't. It really is unrealistic to expect the kind of outcomes many seem to still want around this incident. There is no incentive for the football authorities, or arguably even Wolverhampton Wanderers, to debate the matter further in public.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Because in the real world, outside of the twittersphere, no one can insist on an answer and expect to get it, from anybody unless there is a specific legal requirement for them to do so - which in these circumstances there isn't. It really is unrealistic to expect the kind of outcomes many seem to still want around this incident. There is no incentive for the football authorities, or arguably even Wolverhampton Wanderers, to debate the matter further in public.

But I've never seen a ref instruct the linesman to flag before....

If the ref came out in snorkeling gear, wouldn't you expect an explanation?

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you may have misread this incident very wrongly. (terrible double negative, but you know what I mean!:cool:)

Webb showing up for hour and a half meeting at Compton in person suggests it's been taken very seriously indeed.

Last edited:

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If the ref came out in snorkeling gear, wouldn't you expect an explanation.
One may have been given, or be given, but I doubt it will be anything that will satisfy anyone on here - myself included - and I would certainly not anticipate there to be any follow up questions, or public cross examination. I really think we can expect very little further to come of this, in the public sphere at least. It is not going to bring the football authorities to check in any way at all. We can only hope it adds to more general dissatisfaction with the current regime, but even that is no guarantee of change.

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMG Media is the company that produces all of the live Premier League footage. A broadcaster will have other cameras for studio etc. maybe even pitch side. But all of the main footage is produced by IMG.

For the Premier League VAR it is IMG camera footage that's used. IMG is at Stockley Park, VAR is at Stockley Park.

What I think is clearly apparent now is that VAR implementation in the cup games the footage isn't as comprehensive as the footage in the PL. I wouldn't be surprised if the VAR "suite" for games outside of the PL isn't located at Stockley Park.

Just a moan here but when people discuss the broadcasters Sky, BT, Amazon etc. they aren't doing the full set up of the cameras and footage at games. They're not separate entities - even Amazon games say they're produced by BT. The vast majority of footage here and I'd say all of the footage broadcast abroad is produced by IMG.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you may have misread this incident very wrongly.

Webb showing up for hour and a half meeting at Compton in person suggests it's been taken very seriously indeed.
I hope you are right, but experience tells me otherwise. Showing up at Compton costs nothing. The only real threats the authorities have to counter are, a legal challenge by the club, or a concerted campaign in the media. I can't see either as likely and at any event neither would be guaranteed success. As Wolves supporters what would we see as a positive outcome? I think the most we are likely to get is some acknowledgment of "error" and perhaps a minor scapegoat - the referee, or linesman. Is that getting to the root of the issue? If not what outcome do others see? I would like to be wrong on this.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If the ref came out in snorkeling gear, wouldn't you expect an explanation?

We don't know what the conversation was between the ref and linesman, it could be the linesman said "I think the corner taker was slightly offside there" and the ref then says "well put the flag up then if you think that" or something along the lines of asking the ref who got the last headed and the ref was like 'a Wolves player' then the linesmen may then go 'well then he was offside' etc. Plenty of reasons for the slight delay in the flag.

I believe all conversations are recorded so I imagine both PGMOL (and Wolves) have heard what was said and have no issues or it would have been reported.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We don't know what the conversation was between the ref and linesman, it could be the linesman said "I think the corner taker was slightly offside there" and the ref then says "well put the flag up then if you think that" or something along the lines of asking the ref who got the last headed and the ref was like 'a Wolves player' then the linesmen may then go 'well then he was offside' etc. Plenty of reasons for the slight delay in the flag.

I believe all conversations are recorded so I imagine both PGMOL (and Wolves) have heard what was said and have no issues or it would have been reported.

I'm sure the reality is something close to that.

But because it is SO out of the ordinary, it's reasonable to ask the question. And also reasonable to expect an answer.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The positive thing to campaign for, as a result of this incident, would be for the conversations between officials and deliberations of the VAR check to be public, as they are in other sports. What reasonable argument would they have against this?

R

reanswolf

Its the unconscious bias that is unmeasurable. This was Wolves scoring at Liverpool, and yes the lino may have said he was unsure, so the ref told him to put his flag up so VAR can look at it.

But if that had happened with Liverpool scoring at Wolves you can bet your bottom dollar that in that circumstance of doubt, the ref would never tell the lino to put his flag up. Can't prove it, but you just know this is true.

Back
Top Bottom