Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Goncalo Guedes.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang will surprise us
Looked sharp when he came on the other night and in the friendly game as well.

I am hoping under Julen Lopetegui that Hwang does what Miguel Almiron has done under Eddie Howe and goes from " I'll drive him to his next club " to " I never doubted the man had it, it was everyone else " :p:p:p:p

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do wonder whether Guedes is another one being played out of position?
I thought he was a #10 or maybe an inside fwd but we seem to play him out wide. Certainly did on Tuesday.
Maybe he would be better in that #10 / second strike role or in the centre of a 3 in the 4-2-3-1 formation (i think we played him there in a friendly) or as the apex of a midfield diamond in a 4-1-2-1-2 formation?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
He's never been anything special.
Terrible track record and we shouldn't have spent the money on him.
I always like to know who is wise after the event and who is consistent. Can't fault you to be fair, always said he was rubbish. I thought he'd be OK, I fear you were right though! Mind you I reckon Lopetegui would have spent £20m on him if he could have.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I thought he was a #10 or maybe an inside fwd but we seem to play him out wide. Certainly did on Tuesday.
Maybe he would be better in that #10 / second strike role or in the centre of a 3 in the 4-2-3-1 formation (i think we played him there in a friendly) or as the apex of a midfield diamond in a 4-1-2-1-2 formation?

I don't think our "wide forwards" were that wide at all, in fact in keeping with analysis of Lopeteguis tactics it seems his forwards stay central with the width provided by the full backs.

All our forwards remained within the width of the 18 yard box most the time.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad I bought my little boy a Guedes top for Xmas. Sigh.*

*He is obsessed with him for some bizarre reason. Not my doing.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think our "wide forwards" were that wide at all, in fact in keeping with analysis of Lopeteguis tactics it seems his forwards stay central with the width provided by the full backs.

All our forwards remained within the width of the 18 yard box most the time.
On Tues, i was in the SB lower and could probably have shaken hands with him in the first half he was so far right.
And when he swapped sides, he appeared to play V wide left but Hodge played narrower.

T

TheConcourse

He showed some real promise in the first couple of games, and the last couple of games before the break. Did really well v Arsenal.

What I don’t ever like to see is giving up, and I really felt that he lacked effort against Gillingham. That’s not good enough.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
On Tues, i was in the SB lower and could probably have shaken hands with him in the first half he was so far right.
And when he swapped sides, he appeared to play V wide left but Hodge played narrower.
In ways I struggle with our 433 seems to still be one side with a winger and fullback and one side with a narrow forward and wingback.

Initially Guedes wide, Semedo sitting. Podence narrow, Bueno overlapping. Then other variations!

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t understand us wanting to get rid of him.. we need all hands to the pump, competing for positions.. our starting line up has been too comfortable for too long.. Injuries have starved us off any depth.. our bench has consistently been Championship standard.

Let’s build a squad capable of carrying us over the line.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree.
Also, Newcastle signed proven premier league players last season. It looks like we will just be having another spin on the Mendes wheel. Hopefully Cunha, Isco and co will just be better players....but it's still a gamble.

The Cunha deal is an enormous risk if we have an obligation regardless of whether we stay up or not.

But as to the original point - It's really true isn't it. Signing players like Dan Burn might not set Twitter alight and have oppositions fans seething with envy, but it's consistency and reliability with players that will get you out of the ****. Not players like Guedes and Podence who will drop 4/10 performances 3 games in 4.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I was in the southbank and was paying particular attention having watched a Lopetegui tactics video as to how he would setup his wife forwards.

He certainly wasn't hugging the touchline as Traore did when he came on.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Screenshot_2022-12-22-22-16-56-52_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I mean the heat map would suggest that perhaps you need to rethink your own assessment of player positions...

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was in the southbank and was paying particular attention having watched a Lopetegui tactics video as to how he would setup his wife forwards.

Interestingly on JL and Traore, this is all from the TV so could’ve totally misread it, but I’m sure I saw him telling Nunes and Hwang when they were coming on to make sure they’re in the box when Adama gets the ball. I kept an eye on it and they both legged it in the first time, then I forgot to carry on watching them through that lens.

And also a bit later saw him shout to Neves and tell him to get the ball to Adama faster.

Tricky game for Adama as they had five at the back and both the LB and LCB were blocking his route to the line every time he got it. But he still had a decent impact.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 31962

I mean the heat map would suggest that perhaps you need to rethink your own assessment of player positions...
I don’t know how heat maps are calculated but Guedes swapped sides 2/3 the way through the first half so, assuming what you have shown is an average position, it will be affected by the fact that he was wide right for circa 20-25 minutes and wide left for 20 mins before being subbed off.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Pretty much thats his position. If we want a wide player, we surely play Adama.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Nepotism at its worst. His son and now his wife! ;) Actually, thinking about it, she would be an upgrade on the forwards we have at the moment.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nepotism at its worst. His son and now his wife! ;) Actually, thinking about it, she would be an upgrade on the forwards we have at the moment.
id also be worried if Traore was hugging my wife

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That isn’t a heat map.

It is simply an average position map you’ve used.

So what's a heat map if not an average position.

Edit in line with Andy's post yes it may be affected by Guedes position changes.

But again I think that will be a factor of Lopeteguis play, forwards moving around is what he went for at Sevilla, but all of them still playing relatively narrow and fullbacks bombing on.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don’t know how heat maps are calculated but Guedes swapped sides 2/3 the way through the first half so, assuming what you have shown is an average position, it will be affected by the fact that he was wide right for circa 20-25 minutes and wide left for 20 mins before being subbed off.

I did consider that but I will still go with my eyes, Lopetegui plays inside forwards not wingers.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So what's a heat map if not an average position.

Edit in line with Andy's post yes it may be affected by Guedes position changes.

But again I think that will be a factor of Lopeteguis play, forwards moving around is what he went for at Sevilla, but all of them still playing relatively narrow and fullbacks bombing on.
A heat map looks a hell of a lot different to that. It is far far more detailed and has a range of shades of colour to show %.

That is simply a basic and low level average position marker that is typically also used when doing passing maps.

But a heat map it is not, as it doesn’t show a coloured gradient for each players movement about the pitch.

You also wouldn’t do a whole team heat map…. Would be impossible to read the data and movement of each individual player due to the over lap.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did consider that but I will still go with my eyes, Lopetegui plays inside forwards not wingers.
In that case, neither Guedes or Traore were doing what they were asked to do, they were both playing as wingers, cutting inside occasionally but neither got in to the box that much.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In that case, neither Guedes or Traore were doing what they were asked to do, they were both playing as wingers, cutting inside occasionally but neither got in to the box that much.

Traore wasn't asked to play as narrow for sure.

Guedes though yes I agree, only player to successfully carry the ball inside from that position was Hwang.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been thinking since the rumours of Atletico and Sevilla wanting Guedes have come out

1. Did JL actually want him at Sevilla because Monchi decided all of their transfers rather than JL so have we just presumed JL was a fan?
2. If it were Atletico I wonder if there is an agreement that helped us get Cunha so quickly that once they get felix out on loan somewhere that they will take Guedes on a loan to obligation buy in the summer for around 25mil meaning we recoup most of what we spent on him and it theoretically means we get half of the €50mil for Cunha back.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we have seen enough from Guedes to say theres a player there
Its just whether theres enough determination for the Premiere League
Its a totally different environment for many of these technically gifted players
They have no time on the ball and are expected to press from the front,something thats probably alien to their whole career to this point
Some adapt but many dont and i fear hes one that wont

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Getting better, let’s hope he is settling in

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely ****ing spineless, **** performance.

In a quarter final.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Giving Fabio a run for his money as the worst value signing of the Fosun era.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
From what we’ve seen so far, he’s not someone I’d be trusting for a relegation battle.

Horrific body language
Questionable touch
Lightweight
Seemingly no pace or willingness to use it

Him and Semedo having been a shocking use of £60m and are symptomatic of the waining quality of Mendes signings in recent times

Reactions: Ian

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Giving Fabio a run for his money as the worst value signing of the Fosun era.
Worse than Fabio.
Guedes attitude is all wrong all the way.
If the idiot thinks he can be a luxury player in Premier League..then he deserves being binned just for stupidity.
Guedes is all wrong and we should sell him off at earliest and best opportunity we get´s.

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t think he is a terrible player and most of us were very happy we got him. It’s either the division doesn’t fit him or he CBA. Either way he needs to go unless he gets his mind on the job.

Reactions: Ian
Back
Top Bottom