Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Where are our points coming from?

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
i have never looked at where we might get our points from like on a coupon it rarely works like that,especially Wolves.there will be lots of strange results as ever and we all may be surprised where points are attained,enjoy the ride!!

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We do have to play Liverpool twice. The other side's in the bottom ten will also be trying to get sufficient points to stay up. There will be plenty of six pointers.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forest getting the plaudits for positive play from motd2 tonight v Chelsea. So the answer is there. Wolves need to play more on the front foot and excite the pundits .

Can we do that, though? Do we have the right players for it? Watching Spain and Portugal in the World Cup and in recent years, they have exceptionally skilfull players, but they don't play anything close to "up and at 'em", "front foot" football. On it's day, their style does well. But there are more days when it just looks slow and turgid - and they struggle to score. Even when Spain were winning everything, they'd often struggle to score and win just 1-0. And Portugal without Ronaldo...wouldn't have achieved anything near what they did and would be a very dull watch.

It's been mentioned here several times, I do wonder if there is something in it. The way those Iberian players are coached from a young age. Ironically, we missed out on one of the Portugese players who was commonly acknowledged to be the one who would fit right in the PL - Palhinha. He's excelled here, so it is possible! I hate stereotyping, maybe that's all this is, but watching Spain & Portugal misfire as they passed the ball slowly to death, the lack of urgency, it did remind me of us.

Then you have someone like Hwang, who looks a different player for S. Korea, he fits right in when there's some energy around him. I reckon if he was at Forest, the way they play would suit him, too. Maybe it's not that he's more motivated playing for Korea, but that the way the team plays around him (on the front foot to the point of naivity v. Brazil ,though!) brings out the best in him.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I have us getting 35, which I’m not sure will be enough. Think we’ll become harder to beat under Lopetegui but will draw a lot of games due to the chronic lack of goals in the squad.

Reckon Leicester and West Ham will pull away as they have quality and goals in their teams and don’t see us making up enough points on anyone from Villa upwards.

Leaves 3 to go down from Forest, Southampton, Bournemouth, Everton, Leeds and us. Will probably need to pick up at least 10 points from games against those other five to have a chance. Big ask.

Don’t think we’ve scored a goal against a Big Six side this year so can’t see us getting many (any) points from those 7 games.

Going to go right down to the wire. Hopefully we can secure safety by the Everton game at the latest as I wouldn’t want to be going to Arsenal away on the last day needing a result to stay up…

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have us getting 35, which I’m not sure will be enough. Think we’ll become harder to beat under Lopetegui but will draw a lot of games due to the chronic lack of goals in the squad.

Reckon Leicester and West Ham will pull away as they have quality and goals in their teams and don’t see us making up enough points on anyone from Villa upwards.

Leaves 3 to go down from Forest, Southampton, Bournemouth, Everton, Leeds and us. Will probably need to pick up at least 10 points from games against those other five to have a chance. Big ask.

Don’t think we’ve scored a goal against a Big Six side this year so can’t see us getting many (any) points from those 7 games.

Going to go right down to the wire. Hopefully we can secure safety by the Everton game at the latest as I wouldn’t want to be going to Arsenal away on the last day needing a result to stay up…
I have us at 37 points. It’s just about hoping that the others around us do worse.

I think it will be tight

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am still incredibly concerned. I thought we played well against Man Utd, but good performances and no points are no good to us. We simply have to integrate new signings who are going to 'Contribute' something to the cause. At the moment we are playing with about half a team, and as we saw against Utd, you only need one simple error to cost you the game, because as we all know, we cannot score. I would start with Jiminez over Costa who is at least 5 years past his sell by date, and please get rid of Hwang who contributed absolutely nothing per game. Not optimistic about getting anything at Villa, and the other teams around us picking up points is a real concern. We need to start picking up points very soon or we could find ourselves cut adrift before we even realise it.

fleck1

Reaction score
I think the doom and gloom following the defeat to Man Utd is a little over the top, same with the excitement of beating Everton. We took 3 points from Everton which are the games we need to be doing this in, we lost a tight one against Man Utd who are sat in the top 4, Rauls header goes in at the death and the excitement levels go up again. Its pointless looking at fixtures on paper and trying to guess where points may come from, football would be pretty boring if that was how it worked. We will continue to improve game by game under Julen, there will be fresh faces arriving this month and I'm pretty sure with the quality we have and the new additions results and points will come. One game at a time, don't be worrying about February, March and April the team may well have a very different look by then just enjoy the ride.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa (A) - D
West Ham (H) - W
City (A) - L
Liverpool (H) - L
Southampton (A) - D
Bournemouth (H) - W
Fulham (A) - D
Spurs (H) - L
Newcastle (A) - L
Leeds (H) - W
Forest (A) - D
Chelsea (H) - L
Brentford (H) - D
Leicester (A) - L
Palace (H) - D
Brighton (A) - L
Villa (H) - D
United (A) - L
Everton (H) - W
Arsenal (A) - L

32 points and relegated :(

What's your prediction?
i agree with this. I have been saying for some time that Lopetegui needs to pull off a miracle. for all those saying "we are only x points away" the fact remains that our fixtures do not bode well

zedkiel60

Groupie
Reaction score
I reckon we will finish somewhere around 39/41 points 14/15 place. I think 34 points will be safe this year.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Until we know who we are going to bring in to score the goals its impossible to really predict results.

If the United game was evidence of JL impact on performance then we will be a little better in the second half of the season, but we still don't have enough goals and as others have said we look likely to ship a goal a game.

Personally, I don't see any way to turn round this side without 4 or 5 key additions that actually hit the ground running from day one. They need players who won't need six months to get up to speed that is why getting players from the UK (that are technically talented as well) is probably the only way to stay up.

Right now I don't think we will get enough points and are bound for relegation, but I would be happy to be proved wrong.

We really need any new players to make a massive impact if we are to stand any chance.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Julen and some new additions we’ll be fine.

‘We’ll be fine’ is an expression I’ve seen a few times on here since Julen arrived!! It’s going to be a struggle right up to the end. Unless there’s a transformation in the goal scoring department I don’t see anything else but a real hard point by point slog.

We’ve really given ourselves a mountain to climb with appalling form since the home game with Leeds last season.

Here’s hoping, but ‘we’ll be fine’ does not cover it!!

Wanderer Til I Die

Reaction score
Villa (A) - L
West Ham (H) - W
Man City (A) - L
Liverpool (H) - D
Southampton (A) - W
Bournemouth (H) - W
Fulham (A) - L
Tottenham (H) - L
Newcastle (A) - L
Leeds (H) - W
Forest (A) - W
Chelsea (H) - L
Brentford (H) - L
Leicester (A) - D
Palace (H) - W
Brighton (A) - L
Villa (H) - W
Man Utd (A) - L
Everton (H) - W
Arsenal (A) - L

Based on my predictions, that should give us 26 points which would leave us on 39 points. Most seasons it would be enough points to ensure survival in the Premier League. Slightly optimistic as we have only won three times all season and we struggle to score goals, but these are teams we are capable of beating on our day. A good January transfer window and with Lopetegui in charge, we have every chance of picking up points.

Some games I think we will pick up points where we are the underdogs and others I think we will drop points where we are expected to win.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have us getting 17 more points… hopefully I’m very wrong.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I try to just tell myself we should get more points than; Southampton, Forest, Bournemouth and Leeds.. not sure where they will come from though.

Hopefully beating all 4 of them in the return fixtures will be a part of our escape.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Villa (A) - D
West Ham (H) - W
City (A) - L
Liverpool (H) - L
Southampton (A) - D
Bournemouth (H) - W
Fulham (A) - D
Spurs (H) - L
Newcastle (A) - L
Leeds (H) - W
Forest (A) - D
Chelsea (H) - L
Brentford (H) - D
Leicester (A) - L
Palace (H) - D
Brighton (A) - L
Villa (H) - D
United (A) - L
Everton (H) - W
Arsenal (A) - L

32 points and relegated :(

What's your prediction?

Definitely a rename required to glass half empty! ;-)

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really think us fans need to keep faith regardless of how bleak the situation is after Liverpool at home.

After that we have 13 games where arguably the toughest on paper is Newcastle (A), Chelsea (H) and Spurs (H). And, even those games I wouldn't write off as guaranteed defeats. Liverpool away will surely be rearranged in this time as well, so that's bad.

Overall though, we have a real chance in that period. I know we will obviously lose a lot in that time but every game we should be competitive in.

But, it's just these four games. Villa away is tough, West Ham are struggling but they're still good, then Liverpool and City which are probably defeats.

If you look at Forest in this period, they could easily get a good points return. Southampton have a good run as well and Bournemouth have a few decent games.

So, there's every chance we could be bottom on February 5 but even if it's 5/6 points we need to believe it's possible as the fixture list changes big time.

I know you get shock results, like Brentford today, and it's great to say anything can happen but the reality is, obviously, that we know were most of the points are coming from.

I feel if we're within 3 points of safety after Liverpool then we've got a great chance, anything else it's still possible but tough.

Of course, if we could get points off Villa and West Ham it would be brilliant but if you analyse the fixtures for the next month then we should be the losers in this run.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A pointless and futile thread (though I suspect started with the intent to find up)

We'll pick up points we didn't expect and spunk ones we did

And ultimately stay up comfortably

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What do you mean? We have the same fixtures as everyone else?
I mean that when you look at them i struggle to see much mire than 32-35 points. We dont have exactly the same fixtures left though as we have city and then liverpool twice.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We basically have to average just below the PPG we were getting under Lage over his time here. With a brand new 40 million pound striker instead of no one. Shouldn't need to be a 'miracle'.

daniel corfield

Groupie
Reaction score
lim literally laughing my head off at the amount of "Ws" in people's predictions.

we have won THREE games all season. and people suddenly believe we are going to start winning regularly.

I've got us finishing on 29 points, and that's even being brave with a few wins in there.

disastrous season.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm confident that we can finish above Bournemouth and Southampton, can we manage to get enough goals to finish above one other Team ?, Everton aint no great shakes, Forest are fighting for there lives out of those two I think Everton are the more likely to be the ones we can finish above.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
We need to first learn to score goals as without them we're done for.
I agree. That and stopping them at the other end. We can predict all we want but without those two elements addressed we’re done for.
We need help in both areas and quickly, no use messing around and Cunha can’t do it on his own.
It’s early doors I know but after the last couple of weeks news/optimism I was hoping for at least one more signing by now.
I’d even have a punt on Emanuel Dennis from Forest if he wants out, he scored for Watford.
Still, I’m sure they’ve got it all in hand at Molineux towers and I do trust JL and his team to know what they’re doing…
COYW!

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Until we know who we are going to bring in to score the goals its impossible to really predict results.

If the United game was evidence of JL impact on performance then we will be a little better in the second half of the season, but we still don't have enough goals and as others have said we look likelgreey to ship a goal a game.

Personally, I don't see any way to turn round this side without 4 or 5 key additions that actually hit the ground running from day one. They need players who won't need six months to get up to speed that is why getting players from the UK (that are technically talented as well) is probably the only way to stay up.

Right now I don't think we will get enough points and are bound for relegation, but I would be happy to be proved wrong.

We really need any new players to make a massive impact if we are to stand any chance.
I agree entirely with this.
I trust JL and his team and if we do slip into the Championship then I would make every effort to keep them and invest in the squad they feel will do the job to return to the PL.
But… it’s IF they would stay, IF Wolves can convince them they’re willing to invest as required and then IF we can get the players required to build another squad that on going up can compete in the PL with additional quality, not making it smaller…
I guess come the end of January we’ll have a good idea what ‘might’ be our potential fate because as we stand, yes we’ve improved but still can’t score enough goals…

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking at the 7 games we had without a manager I reckon we could have got 7 more points than we did, leaving us comfortable.
This really as been a season ruined by bad management
Hope we do recover

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Allright,we did get one point against Villa away.
I have us finsih on 35 points..it might just be enough that.
Hope you have long finger nails left..mine is allready down to the bone.
It´s gonna be close..at best.
KLet´s hammer Hammers!

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone looked at the fixtures for Crystal Palace, other than Southampton I can see them going on a good run of losses maybe another team in the ****e

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
lim literally laughing my head off at the amount of "Ws" in people's predictions.

we have won THREE games all season. and people suddenly believe we are going to start winning regularly.

I've got us finishing on 29 points, and that's even being brave with a few wins in there.

disastrous season.
Wouldn't worry, it won't matter to you now you've literally laughed your head off.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m still convinced we’re going down.

Lopetegui’s a great appointment it really is, but it’s come too late.

I think us and Southampton are nailed on certs, and I’ve got a feeling Forest will pull clear. They appear to have turned a bit of a corner, and most importantly can score goals, so if they concede their shoulders don’t automatically go down. We on the other hand still look remarkably goal shy.

I’ve often been labeled a happy clapper, but seriously concerned that we won’t be able to turn this around.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I’m still convinced we’re going down.

Lopetegui’s a great appointment it really is, but it’s come too late.

I think us and Southampton are nailed on certs, and I’ve got a feeling Forest will pull clear. They appear to have turned a bit of a corner, and most importantly can score goals, so if they concede their shoulders don’t automatically go down. We on the other hand still look remarkably goal shy.

I’ve often been labeled a happy clapper, but seriously concerned that we won’t be able to turn this around.
Goal shy Wolves have 11 goals, whereas Forest have 13.

daniel corfield

Groupie
Reaction score
Wouldn't worry, it won't matter to you now you've literally laughed your head off.

how many wins do you think then out of interest?

we played the best we've played for years last night, and came away with 1 goal, and 1 point.

I hate to break it to you mate, but playing well, and consistently only scoring 1 goal in games isn't a recipe to stay in this division.

Super Ted

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone looked at the fixtures for Crystal Palace, other than Southampton I can see them going on a good run of losses maybe another team in the ****e
The CP v Southampton match is FA Cup. Would be difficult for them to pick up any points from that. ;)

Back
Top Bottom