Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno: Yes or No?

Would you appoint Nuno?

• Total voters

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No from me...just shows shi etc have no clear plan and letting bruno go without having someone lined up os a joke..feel like we have used that sentence alot...let xxx go with noone lined up to replace tbem

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So I went with yes because out of every option out there he has several factors that would win him over. I will caveat that it shouldn't be in this position that it's an idea, he's a legend, adored, and I'd like to not see that harmed. However...

The club is at a low, as it was when he came to us, if there is one man or appointment that would galvanise the crowd, fans and probably players alike, it's Nuno. We all know his first game at Molineux would be a pumped up atmosphere, and I don't think we can question his ability to be a manager to harness a fighting spirit, he's been there and done it. To stay up and progress we need that in the short term, molineux needs to be a fortress again.

Secondly. He is the most astute of the bunch, my concerns are two fold on a new manager, it needed to be someone who can hit the ground running (e.g. knows how to be a coach), Svensson and Lopetegui fall into this bracket, Nuno is firmly in there as well, he knows Wolves, better than most, he has players here that will be instantly receptive to his presence (it's commented the switch from Nuno's method to Bruno's had been an issue).

Thirdly and finally. He's the safest pair of hands that can deal with the incompetent idiots above. He knows how to deal with them, that could be a benefit to getting going. Familiarity.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Huge Nuno fan - angered when he left and given the paucity of apparent choices (e.g. Martins / Edwards) I wouldn't be against him returning, but my fear is how often does it work when great players/managers return to their former clubs. Can't think of many success stories.

Moyes at West Ham? Can't remember the circumstances, but didn't he leave and come back a year or two later? And do much better second time around?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This reeks of desperation from Wolves and from Mendes. Basically what this suggests, if true, is that Nuno is the best coach that Mendes has, who would consider coming to Wolves at this time. What that says about Wolves and Mendes, I don’t know, but it’s not good.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No from me...just shows shi etc have no clear plan and letting bruno go without having someone lined up os a joke..feel like we have used that sentence alot...let xxx go with noone lined up to replace tbem

They had someone lined up but they threw everything at him and from the looks of things never had a back up idea asusual

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted no as i dont believe going back ever works
That said if its a choice between him and Edwards,which i dont believe it is btw,then its a no brainer
No one knows who, or how many ,we have spoken to, or will be speaking to at this point
Its too late for Forest now so we have a few days to sort it out

SWest Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
This reeks of desperation from Wolves and from Mendes. Basically what this suggests, if true, is that Nuno is the best coach that Mendes has, who would consider coming to Wolves at this time. What that says about Wolves and Mendes, I don’t know, but it’s not good.
If we were in the top half of the table I’m sure we would get a different calibre of applicants. The joys of being in the bottom 3….

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably best if we wait till next week.......I've just remembered the wolves 0 forest 2..... home game in the promotion season under Nuno....

W

WasStefan

This is a key point.

I will maintain we actually played well attacking-wise in a back four under Nuno.

Arsenal away, superb but understandably overshadowed.
West Ham at home gets treated as an awful game but we were very good going forward.
Southampton at home, I've just checked the stats back, 9 shots on target. Unheard of for Wolves, but we drew 1-1.
Villa at home, lost but 7 shots on target.
Spurs at home, comfortably the better team but drew 1-1.
Brighton away, scored three.
The **** at home, awful performance but we scored two.

Of course, for balance there was a lot of bad in that period too, including with a back four.

I've just gone through a fair few games there, really surprised at how often we played a four that season.

Results dictate everything so can't dispute Nuno got things wrong that season, but is it not fair to think Collins and Kilman are significantly better than Coady and Saiss who often played in a four? I think it is.

Is it not fair to suggest Diego Costa is much better and rounded as a striker than Fabio Silva who was 18 at the time? I think he is.

That's a major difference.

I don't want to rewrite history and I'll say again that I wanted Nuno to go and supported the decision, but there are many factors that went against him.
If i wasnt sold already i definitely am now

I dont see any other name that excites me apert from Poch/ Rodgers but they look unattainable.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think it through... try and imagine how you will feel when he turns up at Southampton/Brighton/Villa/Sheff U etc (or even Braga/RBL/Celta) and they are knocking on the European places?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Results dictate everything so can't dispute Nuno got things wrong that season, but is it not fair to think Collins and Kilman are significantly better than Coady and Saiss who often played in a four? I think it is.

They would be if they had Nuno and the coaches who were with him at the time. I think it wasn't just Nuno, the rest of the staff were vital to our success. We'd need them all back. Without them would be like The Beatles reforming without John and George. :rolleyes:

On the 4 at the back, initially it looked much better under Bruno last season. But faded away quite rapidly in the New Year. Though we never created much, we looked much more solid at the back than in that Nuno/Covid season. Well, in the end we were even less creative under Bruno. Though the whole squad has been demoralised for ages so not sure whether the main problem is the mentality or the tactical approaching...or both.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we were in the top half of the table I’m sure we would get a different calibre of applicants. The joys of being in the bottom 3….
If we were top half and looking upwards then I’d wager Lopetegui would have had a tougher decision on his hands.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First Zenga, then Lambert, then Nuno and then Lage.
It's clear from the above that Shi has no coherent plan or strategy from within which framework a new manager can be chosen.
Remember the Zenga and Lambert season? It was chaotic and and incoherent with 2 managers completely different in styles and with only one thing in common - They were both quite poor.

Nuno came with a strategy and a vision which helped create the best years of my time as a Wolves fan.

The random names we seem to have on the shortlist now and the apparent lack of a Plan B, reminds me of the pre Nuno days

Due to that I'm all in favour of a return. At least then we'd have a strategy.

jeb01

Reaction score
Absolutely yes.
The club, team, fans and the city together.
Don’t know the details of what went wrong but water under the bridge now, and if the club had any sense…..but sadly I guess it’ll never happen.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hate this

Not because I don't want it to happen

More because if it doesn't happen, it is the disappointment of almost losing him twice

He is the best modern day manager we have ever had.

He understood the club. His was the heartbeat of it.

It is a ****ing no brainer. He never should have left in the first place.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to compare Liverpool also had a bad season the lockdown year and lost 6 games on the trot at home , they stuck by klopp and very nearly won the quadruple last year so was it really the season for knee jerk reactions ? Liverpool missed their fans in the same respect we did , clubs like West Ham and villa thrived in empty grounds but are now heading in the normal service resumed department !!!
To be fair to West Ham fans, you'd be sapping the optimism from the place too if you'd just paid £27 for a warm beer.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Nuno had the financial backing to refresh the squad 2 years ago that Bruno had this summer, we would not be in this mess.
This exactly. But going back is not the answer. We don't really have the players for three at the back, we would still be ultra defensive, Moutinho would still be being picked.
It's a Nuno no no from me.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hate this

More because if it doesn't happen, it is the disappointment of almost losing him twice

Exactly the same. I've become so apathetic but this would reel me back in. God...I love Nuno!

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t believe fans are really up for this. Nuno’s last season was dire. He’d fallen out with some players, was aloof and had a cold relationship with Shi. He cut a depressed disinterested figure on the touch line and looked a happy man when he left.
Yeah, but, then we got Lage and we saw what dire really looked like. Maybe some of us even remembered the team he took over and the fact we have no divine right to improve year on year.. much to my disappointment

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I hate this

I was saying this to a mate earlier. Every team over history has a few managers that just connect with the team.

Manure with busby and fergie
The bindippers with paisley and shankley

Nuno is on our love list with Cullis and McGarry.

I’m not saying Nuno is as good as or better than any of the above obviously haha. Just saying it’s a connection thing

Oldwolf

Reaction score
Why do you think that was?

1. An utterly depressing global pandemic
2. One of his colleagues fracturing their skull
3. Zero fans to feed off
4. A disgustingly bad window the summer prior

The guy ain’t a robot. He improved season on season and after one tricky period we decided to boot him out the door despite a heap of complex variables.

Lots of rumours that Nuno wasn’t himself internally. We should have over-indexed on fixing those problems.

I literally can’t believe anyone wouldn’t want him back after the **** we’ve witnessed post-Nuno.

The most mind-blowing thing here is peoples lack of open-mindedness to talk about the bigger issues in the final season. It’s like they can’t attribute any of those things to Nuno’s only negative outlier of a season.

The outlier of a season that saw us finish 12th was it?! I’d take that again in a heartbeat.
Totally agree with all these comments. In the lack of any outstanding candidate I would not be against him returning. It must be remembered that at the time of the Raul's horrific injury against Arsenal at the end of November we sat in a very healthy 9th place. That the striker situation has never been satisfactorily addressed since then is surely Sellars responsibility.

Although I would like it to happen it would be nice to know if this rumour has "any legs"

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Under Nuno, we scored 47 and 51 in the first two seasons back. Third season was terrible, perhaps it always was more down to the players? (we lost our 3 main goal scorers that season and replaced none of them. Arguably have never found equal replacements to this day).
This is my whole point. We were woeful in front of goal since selling Doc and Jota, and we've got worse since Nuno left. He's not going to help sort this one out unfortunately.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Nuno had the financial backing to refresh the squad 2 years ago that Bruno had this summer, we would not be in this mess.

I agree but it's also worth remembering he was in charge when we spend 45 million on Hoever and Silva

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This exactly. But going back is not the answer. We don't really have the players for three at the back, we would still be ultra defensive, Moutinho would still be being picked.
It's a Nuno no no from me.
I think Nuno wanted to go to 4 at the back after Sevilla but didn’t have the players for it then, nor the backing to get them. We don’t have a choice but to stick with 4 at the back now with our current squad.

Corporal Hicks

Groupie
Reaction score
On the fence.
Felt his time had come to an end and it was right to part but watched the scenes with a heavy heart and so wished it was different.

As others have said he just gets what it means to represent this club we so love and has proven he can deliver results.

Would prefer an AVB, Poch or Tuchel but these are looking out of reach or not interested. So without disrespecting the names that are coming across as a little underwhelming then if a choice between these and Nuno then he wins every time.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one reservation I have to his potential return is the loss of Coady. His diagonal out ball was vital to Nuno’s play.

Losing Jota, Doherty and then Raul seriously hamstrung Nuno’s tactics, and evidently greatly impacted on that final season. Losing Coady too would maybe be too problematic.

**** it, I’d still be happy with it if he was reappointed!!

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d welcome him back but surely there are better options. I find it bizarre we can spend £100m on players but are reluctant to spend on a manager to get the best out of them. Emery would be my choice and there are a few others that I’d take ahead of Nuno but there’s plenty I’d have behind him.

Back
Top Bottom