Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno: Yes or No?

Would you appoint Nuno?

• Total voters

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Simple poll. Would you take him back at this point? Yes or no?

SWest Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I wasn’t against getting rid of him at the time, but as the old saying goes, ‘the grass isn’t always greener’

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would be great to get to say a proper goodbye.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It would be great to get to say a proper goodbye.
Not sure that's the ideal reason for signing someone!

I'd love it. Jeff wouldn't. He's got slightly more influence than me. It's not happening. Something worse probably will.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's "Nuyes" from me - **** it, Lopetegui has turned us down and I've no idea about any of the others...! At least he already knows most of the players and the league - fingers crossed he could keep us up (which is the immediate priority).

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where’s the I’m not sure button? If it’s Rob Edwards or nuno I’m going nuno if it leonardo jardin on the other hand than I’m voting no
Idk
Same for me. We can still get higher profile managers.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd take him back. Think the Covid situation got to him last time. Hopefully he is rejuvinated and ready to work with the new set of players. Wonder if he would try and get Coady back? As I said before, a backline of Collins, Coady, and Kilman looks rock solid to me. Would generally be a popular and emotional homecoming.

Dawnwolf

Reaction score
Not for me.

I'm sure some of the player's had pops about him when he left, not sure how dressing room would take to him returning.

But if he does, he will get my full support ofc.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unsure at present.

On the one hand, I absolutely adored Nuno and his time at Wolves. He’d given myself and many other fans the best times they’ve ever seen as a supporter, and the nostalgia in me is warming to the idea of having him back.

On the other hand, he had so clearly been worn out towards the end of his tenure here, and still was at the stage where he got a good send off. It would be such a shame if he came back and it didn’t work out, with his legacy being tainted by an unsuccessful second spell.

The team isn’t the same anymore, we don’t have the same Raul or any player who is guaranteed to score 15+ for him to rely on, and as much as i’m sure the players loved him too, even they seemed in agreement that back then it was the time for a change - I specifically remember Coady saying as such. I won’t go into how bad the football was from Lockdown onwards under him, as that’s a much bigger debate to be had, and would make this post a lot longer than it needs to be!

From Jeff’s pov, it would be an easy win to get the vast majority of the fans back onside. At the same time though, it really does run the risk of us not only being in trouble, but also tainting the legacy of our best manager for a long time if it doesn’t work out.

Last edited:

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Compared to the most likely alternatives? Yes.

Compared to other less likely options? No.

It would, however, get the fans back and fix the disconnect with the team instantly. I’m thinking, against my common sense, that this is possibly the best option at this moment in time.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Golly gosh.

If we look at our managerial farce hunt so far, it's been:
-Lopetegui: rejected us... again.
-Amorim: happy at Sporting and comes with a massive buyout clause.
-AVB: Says he will never return to the Premier League.
-Martins: not thought to be a target by the club (Liam Keen)
-Svensson: not likely to leave Mainz (BILD magazine).

Who's left? Unless it's someone under the radar that nobody has considered, then it's currently boiling down to Nuno or Rob Edwards... I'm picking Nuno ten times out of ten. Plus, he never fell out with any of the players that I'm aware of. Now, it's being reported that he wants to return to the club! It would all boil down to Jeff. Can he let bygones be bygones?

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno has a dream
To save a football team
Chinese owners and knackered Moutinho
With 5 at the back (which we may have a problem with now)
Pace in attack (not really anymore which also is a problem)
We’re Wolverhampton
We really are cack.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not for me, don't see the attraction in going back. Feels similar to after McCarthy was sacked and folk suggested us getting him back for years later. Time to move on.

Plus, don't think the squad is necessarily build for the way he'd want to play. The lack of good CB options would be a huge hindrance to his 5 at the back and we know how we looked when he tried to get us to play a 4 (dreadful).

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My stubborness would be to say never go back, but after JL saying no...there is little part of me that's growing with word yes over it.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we'd got Lopetegui in, I'd have been happy. But in the current situation where all the options feel a bit underwhelming, I'd be open to Nuno coming back. I know people will point at the ill fated 4th season he had with us, but there was a weird set of circumstances to consider.

1. We'd sold Jota and Doherty and never adequately replaced (and still havent to this day)
2. He tried to change the shape, because he felt we'd hit a ceiling (He said so after the Sevilla game) with the old and trusted pragmatic 3-4-3 when we got to the business end of the cups and seasons and we were just short of being immortal. Our new weaker squad never adapted to it, and we suffered a few pastings from teams and we never had a plan to adjust from going a few goals behind.
3. The Raul injury. We were doing relatively OK in the league up until Raul got his horror injury. We obviously never replaced our main goal scoring threat for the rest of the season.
4. Covid. Seemed clear to everyone Nuno really suffered mentally from the Covid situation, not sure if he was homesick as a result of all the lockdowns, but he was definitely not the same for whatever reason.
5. No fans. Nearly the entire of Nuno's last season was in empty stadiums. Statistically Home advantage went out of the window during that season and I'm sure a home crowd would have helped us. (WBA at home for instance?)

This is the man who gave the best 3 consecutive seasons in my life of supporting Wolves. So in a normal season with an updated squad, in the current situation could he actually be the best option?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When we dismissed Lage I’d not have given Nuno being reappointed any serious consideration.

But as it’s seemingly more evident that we had no Plan B after Lopetegui (who was the standout candidate by far) and the days turn into weeks without a manager I’m increasingly in favour of a move for Nuno.

Let’s say we get a draw and a loss vs Forest and Palace (part of me would take that right now, that’s how little confidence I have in us at present), which is quite a real possibility we’ll all have to finally acknowledge that this season is now all about staying in the PL.

Do I think Nuno could deliver PL safety? I think so, yes.

Do I think there is a chance that this could tarnish his legacy? Possibly.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would he come back after being binned off? Not sure, plus it could potentially undo his legacy and memories.
Did great in his time backed by Jorge and the back 5 system, but not sure how much he can change and modify a system, which I think is important in the premier League, systems get found out and that post Jiminez injury year was awful.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Compared to the most likely alternatives? Yes.

Compared to other less likely options? No.

It would, however, get the fans back and fix the disconnect with the team instantly. I’m thinking, against my common sense, that this is possibly the best option at this moment in time.
Also depends on whether there is any lingering animosity between Nuno and Shi from the past. If not he probably is one of the best options in our current predicament.

Reactions: Ned

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t believe fans are really up for this. Nuno’s last season was dire. He’d fallen out with some players, was aloof and had a cold relationship with Shi. He cut a depressed disinterested figure on the touch line and looked a happy man when he left.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plus, he never fell out with any of the players that I'm aware of. Now, it's being reported that he wants to return to the club! It would all boil down to Jeff. Can he let bygones be bygones?
The big one would possibly be Kilman, it didn’t seem to me like he particularly ever rated him, & all the rumours were he was being lined up to be sold before Nuno was sacked & Bruno came in.

Can’t speak to the truth of it, but there was rumours that Kilman spoke out in the “clear the air” meeting and Nuno didn’t particularly like what was said - or something along those lines! I’m sure though now with Kilman having more than proved himself at this level that he would be trusted by Nuno if he came back.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Would he come back after being binned off? Not sure, plus it could potentially undo his legacy and memories.
Did great in his time backed by Jorge and the back 5 system, but not sure how much he can change and modify a system, which I think is important in the premier League, systems get found out and that post Jiminez injury year was awful.
I don't get this undo his legacy, tarnish his reputation etc. We were very poor in his final season, losing 4-0 to Burnley with a few other woeful performances. It's not like he went out on a high after the Europa QF.

The only way he'd really ruin it would be if he got us relegated.

Back
Top Bottom