Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lage OUT

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is modern football now gone are the days when you see goal kicks from the keeper aiming for the centre forward with the back 4 pushed up to the halfway line it's all about making sure they keep possession as there priority. The supporters want to see the action taking place in the box but teams get hit on counter attacks or have to chase round for 5 minutes trying to get the ball
We are taking ridiculous risks in our own 18 yard box. The thing is when the opposition do the same our press is pathetic and therefore it’s a lot easier for the opposition to get out. Our passing is so pedestrian, slow and telegraphed that we end up losing the ball before we get to half way. The fist goal on Saturday, Nunes wins the ball back then tries a 5 yard square ball to a free Wolves player but he thinks about it and the pass is wayward and read, 10 seconds later we’re 1-0 down. It’s been coached into them to keep possession at all times and it’s actually being counter productive as they are not playing with instinct, try to be more careful and take the safe option it’s crippling the team. The stuff at the back is again an example, that’s what Bruno wants therefore they do it, there’s no instinct or in game thinking.

For a good comparison look at the England Cricket team, they were until Stokes took over, ultra cautious, safety first, little imagination. Stokes and McCullam encourage people to play their game and play to win rather than not to lose. Consequently far more entertaining performances even though you have to watch through your fingers sometimes.

superwolves

Reaction score
I have to admire the lengths you go to to defend the indefensible. He is just a crap coach. That's the elephant in the room that you can't or won't see.
What do we do different to any other mid table team? We try to keep possession we try to high press when they have the ball. Unfortunately we haven't got man city's players to achieve what they can

superwolves

Reaction score
Personally think he’s had long enough but we each have our own opinions.
Some might say he should be gone last season. Personally I think give him the chance to work with the signings he's been asking for since he came. He's only had 4 or 5 games with them and even now he has no centre forward and 1 centre half

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s difficult to comment on these Lage posts. We all want WWFC to be successful, problem is there are so many variations of what success looks like. Some will say it’s about entertainment, some will say it’s about scoring goals, some will say earning points is the most important thing, some use league position as the measure of success. One thing we can all agree on is that something isn’t working right now (inverted wingers, false 9, lack of cutting edge, mystifying subs) and none of really know whether Bruno has got the tools/tactical nous to sort it.
I am currently apathetic towards match days and I guess that’s largely down to what is being churned out week after week. However, I’m also aware that sometimes a new coach can come in and do a great job from the start, but invariably most need a little time to settle into the role at a new club. We have very little time for that and it’s diminishing at an alarming rate. So for me, it’s time for Fosun either come out and cement their support for Bruno or be brave and totally ruthless and make the decision to make a change whilst there’s enough time to get someone new up to speed.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some might say he should be gone last season. Personally I think give him the chance to work with the signings he's been asking for since he came. He's only had 4 or 5 games with them and even now he has no centre forward and 1 centre half
We could be adrift at the bottom by the World Cup and you would still see glimmers of hope and say that he'd definitely turn things around...

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are taking ridiculous risks in our own 18 yard box. The thing is when the opposition do the same our press is pathetic and therefore it’s a lot easier for the opposition to get out. Our passing is so pedestrian, slow and telegraphed that we end up losing the ball before we get to half way. The fist goal on Saturday, Nunes wins the ball back then tries a 5 yard square ball to a free Wolves player but he thinks about it and the pass is wayward and read, 10 seconds later we’re 1-0 down. It’s been coached into them to keep possession at all times and it’s actually being counter productive as they are not playing with instinct, try to be more careful and take the safe option it’s crippling the team. The stuff at the back is again an example, that’s what Bruno wants therefore they do it, there’s no instinct or in game thinking.

For a good comparison look at the England Cricket team, they were until Stokes took over, ultra cautious, safety first, little imagination. Stokes and McCullam encourage people to play their game and play to win rather than not to lose. Consequently far more entertaining performances even though you have to watch through your fingers sometimes.
And suddenly it's 6 wins out of 7 for the England cricket team instead of 1 out of 17.

Excellent post, couldn't have put it better myself! I think Lage is a total control freak. His behaviour on the touchline when things don't go to plan also suggests that. Goes ballistic but hasn't got a clue what to do to change things

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And suddenly it's 6 wins out of 7 for the England cricket team instead of 1 out of 17.

Excellent post, couldn't have put it better myself! I think Lage is a total control freak. His behaviour on the touchline when things don't go to plan also suggests that. Goes ballistic but hasn't got a clue what to do to change things
As controlling as Nuno but the latter was at least coherent and competent.

superwolves

Reaction score

Whose to say when a new manager assesses our squad that he won't be more cautious than the one we've got. They all know that time in football is short and there priority is to get points

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would a new coach be able to change that without putting the defence at more risk with the same players
Yes

Risking a pass in an attacking area shouldn't put you in much danger of conceding a goal. In fact weirdly, if you lose the ball and then get it back quickly it can give you an even better chance. Look at that graphic that @Perton Wolf has posted, that's how bad we are under Lage. We're the WORST team for goal attempts that's been in the PL for the fifteen months he's been in charge. We shouldn't be anywhere near that bad

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have answered THE questions. I’m giving him more time. Does that now answer the question?

I see you’ve conveniently dodged the question as to who you want in to replace him? You know what mate, I’m not interested. You’ve made your mind up. I just hope that if you get wishes granted it doesn’t end up going down the pan.

No it doesn’t, I’ll ask again, how much time?

Apologies I didn’t see you ask me who I want in, personally I don’t have a preference, as we’d probably all accept it’ll likely be another Mendes client and it’s hard to know how far we could stretch to a big name.

The whole point is it’s already going down the pan to use your terminology, if you are so supportive of him can you offer anything positive as to why he should stay that negates the pertinent points made previously about the decline in both results and performances

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What do we do different to any other mid table team? We try to keep possession we try to high press when they have the ball. Unfortunately we haven't got man city's players to achieve what they can
High press?! From us?! You really are deluded. Under Nuno we were excellent at the press. Not under this joker

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would a new coach be able to change that without putting the defence at more risk with the same players
It’s always a balance but other managers in the PL seem to achieve a better balance. The issue we have is if we concede one we rarely draw let alone win and that’s because we have no plan going forwards. If you play it slowly in the final third the opposition will inevitably be organised so having just one or two players in the box makes it easy for them to defend. Either play it quicker or commit more players forward. We’ve been doing the same thing repeatedly and not surprisingly the outcome is the same. If Lage hasn’t sussed that yet I see no reason to think he ever will.

superwolves

Reaction score
It’s always a balance but other managers in the PL seem to achieve a better balance. The issue we have is if we concede one we rarely draw let alone win and that’s because we have no plan going forwards. If you play it slowly in the final third the opposition will inevitably be organised so having just one or two players in the box makes it easy for them to defend. Either play it quicker or commit more players forward. We’ve been doing the same thing repeatedly and not surprisingly the outcome is the same. If Lage hasn’t sussed that yet I see no reason to think he ever will.
But how many managers have no fit centre forward you look at there squads and they have 2 or 3 on the bench waiting to come on at 60 minutes when the first choice is flagging. Bruno hands are definitely tied there's no denying that

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wheres the bad run of results we've won 2 drawn 2 lost 1 from the last 5 games and have the 2nd best defensive record in the league. On that basis half the managers in the league will be getting the sack
Haha! The win against Preston being used as a reason to keep him now. I think he lost a few people based on that second half performance.

NorthWolf

Reaction score
I feel one point being over looked here is that Lage was employed to 'Kick-Us-On', meaning get us into the Europa contention spots on a regular basis, I see zero evidence he will do anything more than keep us in the league at best, no matter how well he adapts the new players to his very very one dimensional system, this team under him might improve, I can't see it but never the less, it will not improve to the point of what he was employed to actually do. To be a 'basic' Primer League team you need more than one formation in an active game, you need to utilise the 5 man subs in such a way they change the game positively for your side, you need to make decisive decisions at key moments in a game to negate the opposition decisions. More importantly you need all of the squad on board with your plans and willing to run through walls for you to achieve results because they believe in you. Lage has shown over some 50 odd games now he lacks all these qualities, a fit Raul and embedded Nunes, Traore and Costa won't change that. It is these factors not the last five games, the City result or the injured Raul that are why people are calling for his head. Lage is not the man to take the club forward even if he manages to keep us up, so what is the point of keeping him past today.

superwolves

Reaction score
The players we have dont have the stamina/ fitness to succesfully play a pressing game..... that is absolutely down to Bruno/ his coaching staff.
But they was doing double sessions pre season they should have the fitness

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But how many managers have no fit centre forward you look at there squads and they have 2 or 3 on the bench waiting to come on at 60 minutes when the first choice is flagging. Bruno hands are definitely tied there's no denying that
A manager’s job is to manage. If he hasn’t got the players to play how he wants to he should utilise them differently, don’t pretend Pod is a centre forward or a false 9. He could get them playing balls earlier to a front two playing close to each other but he’s obsessed with inverted wingers. Keep doing the same thing expecting a different outcome was neatly defined as madness by Einstein but Lage thinks he knows better.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel one point being over looked here is that Lage was employed to 'Kick-Us-On', meaning get us into the Europa contention spots on a regular basis, I see zero evidence he will do anything more than keep us in the league at best, no matter how well he adapts the new players to his very very one dimensional system, this team under him might improve, I can't see it but never the less, it will not improve to the point of what he was employed to actually do. To be a 'basic' Primer League team you need more than one formation in an active game, you need to utilise the 5 man subs in such a way they change the game positively for your side, you need to make decisive decisions at key moments in a game to negate the opposition decisions. More importantly you need all of the squad on board with your plans and willing to run through walls for you to achieve results because they believe in you. Lage has shown over some 50 odd games now he lacks all these qualities, a fit Raul and embedded Nunes, Traore and Costa won't change that. It is these factors not the last five games, the City result or the injured Raul that are why people are calling for his head. Lage is not the man to take the club forward even if he manages to keep us up, so what is the point of keeping him past today.
The only viable 6th place with Lage in charge will be in the Championship. I don’t subscribe to the view we need to kick on and get into the top six, without massive ongoing investment it is unrealistic. Mid-table playing football that gets you off your seat every now and then should be achievable.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel one point being over looked here is that Lage was employed to 'Kick-Us-On', meaning get us into the Europa contention spots on a regular basis,
tbf, I’m not sure this was actually the reason for bringing him in. I genuinely feel that Nuno had outstayed his welcome with Fosun/Shi for whatever reason and that the relationship had been soured. Sure the football had gone stale but Bruno has been similarly unsuccessful, but no trigger pulled. So on that basis, it looks like perhaps Bruno was just a gamble from Fosun based on a good half season with Benfica, and a decision they made on the basis that they needed someone who ‘appeared’ to be more attack minded because they’d just removed a fan’s favourite.

superwolves

Reaction score
You say that as though it's a good thing. As though copying everyone else is what the manager should be doing, rather than looking at ways we can hurt everybody else.
No I say that on the basis of all managers are much of a muchness and the total blame isn't always them they can only achieve what the players are capable of

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you watch how Brighton play, they get the ball forward so much more quickly and incisively than we do, and they are not really blessed with top strikers. Have been so impressed with them this season. Will be interesting to see if it changes now Potter has gone.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Probably not but I think that's part of the plan we're just not capable of achieving it
Then why is the manager asking them to do it? By your own admission we're trying to play a game we're not capable of that buck stops with the bloke in charge of tactics.

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought I read on here that FOSUN were looking to get shot over the summer?. Not sure how true that is

superwolves

Reaction score
Then why is the manager asking them to do it? By your own admission we're trying to play a game we're not capable of that buck stops with the bloke in charge of tactics.
Yes very true I think it's part of the trend of football and fashionable. Has the switch to a back 4 made us more attacking what everyone was craving was we better with a back 5 and full backs playing on the halfway line and overlapping

Back
Top Bottom