Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Coady made his debut for us exactly seven years ago tomorrow (Blackburn away).

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People advocating selling Coady because we need to evolve the team…..

Do you think we could buy a back up CB of his quality for £12m? The next option to come in if either CB gets injured or we go to 5 at the back is Boly.

Not having Mosquera or Toti as quality backup just yet.

If he wants to go to get first team football, and isn’t happy being back up then that’s fair enough. He has my best wishes. But if this is the club trying to claw back some cash up front, then this is robbery.

W

WasStefan

Do you think we could buy a back up CB of his quality for £12m? The next option to come in if either CB gets injured or we go to 5 at the back is Boly.

If he wants to go to get first team football, and isn’t happy being back up then that’s fair enough. He has my best wishes. But if this is the club trying to claw back some cash up front, then this is robbery.
For me the biggest issue is it completely closes the door on a back 5. So if we start off poor the first 8 games we don’t have the option to revert.

But that doesn’t reconcile with Coady needing game times before November.

Fosun/ Lage have made the big call that needed making. Lets hope it works out. I’ll be absolutely gutted to see him leave but we need to evolve.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree that I suspect we’ll need to buy - I don’t see Boly’s turning circle being quick enough for a back 4, post Coady unclear and untested who will play in a back 5 in Coady’s role. Toti has potential and Mosquera is raw. Donck is needed in midfield.

So gut reaction is we’ll need to replace.

TWOLF

Reaction score
Most transfers are with limited add ons. But we sell Coady for £12m thats £12m and wages off the accounts. We could replace Coady’s wage with Guedes, pay £30m for Guedes over 5 years and make a £6m profit in the first year of Guedes contract and break even after 2 years.
Coady’s wages is around £60k I think. Guedes will be £100k, looking on google at what he earns at Valencia (I know I need to take it with a pinch of salt). That’s an extra £2.1m wages for Guedes.

As good as Guedes looks I’m a bit surprised we’re going after him with how much he’s going to cost (transfer fee + wages). Thought we were trying to stray away from massive wages.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hoping it will all kick off for us with incomings this week. It needs to. Can understand Coady going but 12 million would be a ridiculously low price. Is anyone slightly concerned at our cover in central defence as well? Boly isnt the same player he was and Gomes and Mosquera are very inexperienced. Priorities of course have to be central midfield and attack but our cover at centre back is a bit of a concern.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know what you mean. Actions speak louder than words and gestures but Coady does throw his arms up to motivate his fellow players when things get tricky, they way some players do to try and motivate the crowd. Thought we missed a bit of that when Leeds got in behind us on a quite few occasions yesterday.
The downside of that is he constantly, constantly screamed for the ball to be recycled back through the defence, which is part of the reason we played so deep and so slowly.

W

WasStefan

Coady’s wages is around £60k I think. Guedes will be £100k, looking on google at what he earns at Valencia (I know I need to take it with a pinch of salt). That’s an extra £2.1m wages for Guedes.

As good as Guedes looks I’m a bit surprised we’re going after him with how much he’s going to cost (transfer fee + wages). Thought we were trying to stray away from massive wages.
I think you are right on Guedes salary but was just trying to illustrate the point of Coady being replaced by Guedes is smart business and balances the squad nicely, now just need competition for Raul and a midfielder!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Coady isn't a good back up in a 2 at the back. We've watched him try and he was a disaster.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Hoping it will all kick off for us with incomings this week. It needs to. Can understand Coady going but 12 million would be a ridiculously low price. Is anyone slightly concerned at our cover in central defence as well? Boly isnt the same player he was and Gomes and Mosquera are very inexperienced. Priorities of course have to be central midfield and attack but our cover at centre back is a bit of a concern.
Jos we have 6 CBs, you can't possibly want us to sign another CB?

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surprised at how low our valuation for Coady is. Guess he is only worth what other sides are willing to pay but thought our asking price would be much higher.
If at all true , maybe we are just helping out a wonderful servant.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think anything less than 20 million and this is poor by our club, NWW. Really concerned at the lack of leaders in the squad now. Ruddy, Saiss, Coady gone. We really could do with bringing in a couple of players who are leaders.
Who of those "lead" us during the dire end to last season ?

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jos we have 6 CBs, you can't possibly want us to sign another CB?

Quality over quantity.

Mosquera will be good but needs games.

Toti is not ready for a sustained run in the first team either.

Boly is done.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Toti and Boly are fine as back ups, most teams our size don't have 4 quality CB options that is just the way it is

One of the things that struck me yesterday is how good our CB’s are going to need to be on the ball for us to play 4 at the back. They are so exposed.

I wouldn’t fancy Toti or Boly in that role, they’re too ponderous.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

One of the things that struck me yesterday is how good our CB’s are going to need to be on the ball for us to play 4 at the back. They are so exposed.

Yeah, they have to be quality in the role for sure to play that high up. If we got an injury we could drop back into the 3 if needs be. Donk could do the Coady role, I am fairly certain.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I would be sad to see Coady leave but we have Kilman,Collins,Boly,Gomes and Mosquera at CB so we are well covered there but that doesn’t mean selling him for£12 million he is a current England International so we should be asking for at least £25 million for him
We can ask what we want - but no one would pay that amount of money for him.

I love Connor Coady, he’s the best leader we’ve had at the club in my lifetime, and a genuinely awesome guy - but we can’t keep him on the bench in a World Cup season, and he can’t play in a 4 at the back, so letting him go is the best thing for him and for us.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
12 million for an England international who makes every squad and is the captain of a top half prem team, still in his position 20’s is outrageously bad business from our perspective. In addition to all that he is one of the best leaders and best blokes in the whole of the league.

Absolutely gutted if he leaves for anything less than represents good value on our behalf. Good value starts at 25m for me.
I love the guy but he can’t play in a back 4… that limits his value tremendously.

12 million is such little value in the grand scheme I think we’re selling him to help him more than us.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Toti isn’t remotely ponderous - he’s quick and good on the ball, and a big lad - he’s perfect backup.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me the biggest issue is it completely closes the door on a back 5. So if we start off poor the first 8 games we don’t have the option to revert.

Fosun/ Lage have made the big call that needed making. Lets hope it works out. I’ll be absolutely gutted to see him leave but we need to evolve.
Agreed it feels a bit like burning your boats when you reach the new world. Sends a message of we make this work or die trying.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do you know he can’t play in a two?

You’re assuming a lot here and underselling his considerable attributes. Lots of respect for your knowledge but find your lack of appreciation for Coady unbelievable.

Because he's slow, undersized, and too cautious defensively because he understands his limitations. Great bloke but like Batth and Edwards, need to understand when to move on because we can't carry players. When you're the team shopping the player the price will always be a bit lower.
Need to move on from the best quality been a leader or well never progress. Need better footballing ability

...though hopefully we can squeeze 15m outta them.

I would say as a center Half his ability on the ball is great, it's his phisicality that holds him back.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Toti isn’t remotely ponderous - he’s quick and good on the ball, and a big lad - he’s perfect backup.
He's not good on the ball, ball gets stuck under his feet constantly because his touch is mediocre. He's not an absolute carthorse but his distribution is poor.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Would have preferred between £15-20m for Coads. Some of the figure people are throwing around must live on an alternative planet.

£20m+ for a player who hasn’t proven anything outside of a back 3 in a very defensive side, at 29 years old - come on now.

There could also be an element of Wolves not pricing him out of a move.

Ability wise he’s a Championship CM/very well protected PL CB in a 3.

Cracking guy, but Wolves have been absolutely immense for Coady’s career - or more specifically, Nuno.

Wish the guy all the luck in the world. Led the team through the best moments I’ve had following Wolves.
This.
I think we need to worry less about the fee and consider what he has contributed over the years. He will still make us some money, but has contributed far more the last 5 years in regards to his leadership and figurehead role in the club. That is priceless. He should go with our respect and best wishes rather than people slagging off his lack of ability in a back 4.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If we really needed to we could always go back to 3 center halfs we still have 5 in the squad let's not forget plus Donk.

If we want to play a deeper line, Boly can add the height and power. 3 6ft5 defenders there.

If we want to play a higher line and be more agressive Toti or Mosq to come in and add some real pace.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The downside of that is he constantly, constantly screamed for the ball to be recycled back through the defence, which is part of the reason we played so deep and so slowly.
Absolutely. Everything goes back several times before it has a chance to go forward and Coady, Moutinho and Dendoncker are the worst 3 for this.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady’s leadership through from Championship also rans to established Premier side that has pushed for Europe and reached a European quarter final has been immense. He should always be seen as a club legend. Which after his first two seasons with us no one would have said.

However, we have better players already for 4 at the back. In fact when we played it under Nuno and when Bruno used it for periods of games last season it was most often Coady who wasn’t picked or scarified during the game. He is a sweeper who can distribute the ball fantastically. He is not a 3rd Centre Back as Everton played yesterday. If we kept him we might use that system for certain games but not all. His lack of pace means we struggle to play a high line, he makes great last ditch blocks in the box and in games where it’s the Alamo he is more than useful in there but to accommodate him and get the best out of him we have to play 5 at the back, which limits our options ahead. It also means that our defensive line invariably starts on the edge of the centre circle in our half and makes the game very stretched. One thing you can say is that he has been virtually ever present other than a COVID interruption and maybe a couple of minor tweaks.

I wish him all the best and hope he makes the World Cup, he may be a success at Everton but they will have to change to accommodate him.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've watched him play in a 2, did you miss those games?
Saw him play to great effect there for England. For us, not so often.
Very easy to blame one player for lacking in a formation, after all we did lose yesterday playing 4 at the back with Kilman, who has less experience than Coady in that system.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He actually may not be , much like mourinho buying doc to play As an out and full back sounds like fat frank may try and play coady in a back 4 with Mina and Godfrey both injured …
I rate Frank as lowly as I do Gerrard so that’s a distinct possibility!!

Back
Top Bottom