Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As a general rule on this Forum I think the best thing is not to comment unless you have something original or useful to say. But sometimes you simply have to express your frustration, as neither your wife nor your dog understand.

What the bloody hell is going on at our club? One day – one ****ing day – before the season starts we have no fit striker and transfer speculation is swirling around our captain and a very promising home-grown player that the manager clearly wants to keep.

And a word on that very promising home-grown player. He’s off. The Forest owner Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis accused of drug trafficking is now involved so it’ll be all about his ego. We may get a good deal, but where the hell that leaves the team the day before we play Leeds I have no idea.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It looks to me like MGW and Coady will go, and whilst I can see the overall logic, this happening whilst we are pretty low on numbers (particularly in attack) and about to start the season is just insane timing. If we were to pull in £55-60 million for both and quickly reinvest the money in top talent e.g Nunes and Ramos rock up in time for Fulham (or soon after), along with a nice new contract for Neves, then ok fair enough. But loaning out Coady and/or continuing to fanny about ‘monitoring’ or ‘considering’ players but doing little will leave plenty of people very concerned/unhappy. Quite rightly too IMV.

I’d love to have total confidence in the club right now, but who can really say that? I’d been optimistic going into this summer that we’d do some smart business and bolster the squad, but it’s been a real test of patience and outright concerning if we’re honest? As it stands, I’d be quite surprised if we get to the end of this window with the majority of us happy overall with our business (again). A few poor defeats early on in this context don’t bear thinking about either.
Totally agree

If we could guarantee top signings then Coady and MGW could go imo. But we are shopping in pound stretcher at the moment rather than the Apple shop .

silverwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Selling two English first team players is a questionable tactic…we cannot have more than 17 international players. We are already close to that limit. Therefore should they go it is not a definite they will be replaced with the names mentioned above

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As a club, I think we are putting the players individual interests ahead of the interests of the team and the club.

I don't care if Silva wants to go to Anderlecht- Wolves needed a back up striker so why let him go?

I don't care if Traore wants to go to Barcelona- Wolves needed a dynamic attacker off the bench to help our charge so why let him go?

I don't care if Coady wants to play in the World Cup- Wolves need strength in depth and the option to switch to 3 at the back so why let him go?

I don't care if MGW wants to play for Steve Cooper- Wolves need an attacker that can play between the lines and cut inside so why let him go?

They all made commitments to is when they signed for us, so why are we offloading them as soon as it gets a little bit tough for them?

Whilst I would like to see Nico and a striker bought in, all this talk of us selling everyone makes me think we would be better off just keeping what we have got.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree

If we could guarantee top signings then Coady and MGW could go imo. But we are shopping in pound stretcher at the moment rather than the Apple shop .
And still can’t pull the trigger on purchasing a 25p panda pop from the cashier even though we are dying of dehydration on the hottest day of the year after being told you need to have a drink as you don’t have one and made the mistake of not getting one to replace the Drink you gave some randomer at the start of the day…..

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a club, I think we are putting the players individual interests ahead of the interests of the team and the club.

I don't care if Silva wants to go to Anderlecht- Wolves needed a back up striker so why let him go?

I don't care if Traore wants to go to Barcelona- Wolves needed a dynamin attacker off the bench to help our charge so why let him go?

I don't care if Coady wants to play in the World Cup- Wolves need strength in depth and the option to switch to 3 at the back so why let him go?

I don't care if MGW wants to play for Steve Cooper- Wolves need an attacker that can play between the lines and cut inside so why let him go?

They all made commitments to is when they signed for us, so why are we offloading them as soon as it gets a little bit tough for them?

Whilst I would like to see Nico and a striker bought in, all this talk of us selling everyone makes me think we would be better off just keeping what we have got.
Nico seems to be a loan, batshuyi seems to be a loan….

Where is the £30m for Morgan and potential fee for conor actually being spent? Is it in the vault with the Sanches and Botman money that was more than the 20m we paid for Collins?

the remainder of that money has seemingly vaporised or fallen down the back of jeffs office sofa.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Selling two English first team players is a questionable tactic…we cannot have more than 17 international players. We are already close to that limit. Therefore should they go it is not a definite they will be replaced with the names mentioned above
Think we're on 14 non-homegrown (one of which is Chiquinho, who no doubt won't be named in the squad), the lads aged 21 or under don't count, so we can add a few of those 'names' if need be

dennison11

Reaction score

I don't care if Traore wants to go to Barcelona- Wolves needed a dynamin attacker off the bench to help our charge so why let him go?

That's all well and good and in part I agree with you, however, what happens when you keep these players against their will and they decide to not turn up for training or not turn up for a match day squad? Do you fine them? Sack them? Either way they still end up leaving.

I'm not saying I want to sell MGW or Coady or for that matter Traore, but player power is enormous these days. If they don't want to be here then get what we can for them.

Like I said, I'd rather keep all 3 and have the strength on depth you suggest and for what it's worth, I don't think either MGW or Coady are pushing for a move. I think it's paper and agent talk trying to stir the pot and fill in space on the daily news

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you are pushing the money line. Players have very little say if they're going or not.
Players - and their agents - have a huge say. Take that Villa lad, he's what, 18? Refuses to sign a contract, Chelsea gobble him up.

I suspect they'll pay him megabucks to get splinters in his ****.

Ragnar

Reaction score
Nobody is, not sure why people keep saying it. The reason Forest keep coming back with bids is that they have had an indication from Wolves, MGW or both that there is a deal to be done otherwise they wouldn't have made 3 separate bids already. Unfortunately it isn't as simple as if he plays at the start of the season he will sign a new deal, he might want to work with Cooper who he has successfully had spells under in the past, or judging what Forest are paying out they may be offering him huge terms that Wolves can't/wont match. We don't know the details but if Forest are being this persistent then they think it can be done.

Last edited:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m still confused as to why the bookies don’t have us a relegation candidates….
As a ST holder I am seriously concerned. This club’s ownership and management structure is a *****in shambles
Personally I think the odds on us are a little short....

A very meh window but we have far too much (imo). Brighton are good value fwiw.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That's all well and good and in part I agree with you, however, what happens when you keep these players against their will and they decide to not turn up for training or not turn up for a match day squad? Do you fine them? Sack them? Either way they still end up leaving.

I'm not saying I want to sell MGW or Coady or for that matter Traore, but player power is enormous these days. If they don't want to be here then get what we can for them.

Like I said, I'd rather keep all 3 and have the strength on depth you suggest and for what it's worth, I don't think either MGW or Coady are pushing for a move. I think it's paper and agent talk trying to stir the pot and fill in space on the daily news
Surely you have to question the management, from top to bottom. We can't 'win' everytime with every player, we won't always buy low and sell high for example.

But if every player that considers leaving moves on, and we are weaker for it, then we are not being managed very well.

If every player who is not getting the game time they would ideally like, become unhappy and considers leaving, we are not managing our players well enough. "One pack" and all that jazz. We need a competitive squad and options.

Having 11 players that could challenge for Europe if things go swimmingly is all well and good until injuries hit, formations don't work out, players form dips, as we know only too well.

We can't be selling our wild card to a newly promoted team, we can't be selling our club captain to direct competition IMO. Complete madness.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also - and this is my own supposition - I imagine the club have learned from the Traore situation. Failure to sell a player at his peak value can cost millions and millions, especially if he decides he fancies running his contract down. Again, entirely understandable, provided the correct replacement is brought in. A colossal if
This. Given that Traore was being touted for +/- 50 million 3 years ago and is now about to jump ship for free this has to be a major consideration. MGW is unproven in the PL - he may be a big hit, he may be a flop. But 30 million is a huge fee to pay for 'potential'. I'd like him to stay on the basis of what I've seen in pre-season, but I don't want to see him struggle in the PL and then see us sell him for 5-10 million at season's end.

Last edited:

dennison11

Reaction score
Surely you have to question the management, from top to bottom. We can't 'win' everytime with every player, we won't always buy low and sell high for example.

But if every player that considers leaving moves on, and we are weaker for it, then we are not being managed very well.

If every player who is not getting the game time they would ideally like, become unhappy and considers leaving, we are not managing our players well enough. "One pack" and all that jazz. We need a competitive squad and options.

Having 11 players that could challenge for Europe if things go swimmingly is all well and good until injuries hit, formations don't work out, players form dips, as we know only too well.

We can't be selling our wild card to a newly promoted team, we can't be selling our club captain to direct competition IMO. Complete madness.
I completely agree with you. I'd rather not sell any of them and make the team stronger. I just don't see the point in keeping players if they don't want to be here.

As per your first paragraph, I am normally very much of the opinion that we should trust FOSUN but the last 12 months it's becoming harder and harder.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
sell coady and mgw i will be really annoyed,

i understand why on coady i just dont get it on MGW, because of what we have done in preseason around him.

We have basically iced coady, but everything has been around MGW, so why let that asset go? and if we knew he wanted to go then why build everything and hype around him. Rather let him go early, and use the money for replacements in preseason

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lets see what happens today, countless links yesterday and better sources, keen/romano/sky sports.

Looks like hwang ui jo is close than batshuayi but who knows.

I just hope MGW lines up against leeds, then we bat them off, or sell him sunday replace him in the week, before fulham (if we really must sell him)

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
sell coady and mgw i will be really annoyed,

i understand why on coady i just dont get it on MGW, because of what we have done in preseason around him.

We have basically iced coady, but everything has been around MGW, so why let that asset go? and if we knew he wanted to go then why build everything and hype around him. Rather let him go early, and use the money for replacements in preseason
Because it is clear there is no plan or strategy to how we are working and they aren’t football people they don’t understand what selling Morgan at this point will do to the team, the tactics and the strategy that bruno has been working so hard on.

If Morgan does go to forest, it also isn’t like he won’t be telling his new team all about our patterns of play and movement that he has spent a whole pre-season drilling and drilling them as a key part of them.

Add to that the forest coach is an excellent technical coach and I am sure with all that info and good video sessions he can come up
With a plan to stifle and attack us to stop Getting points.

So they have shafted Bruno in a few ways here potentially.

Honestly it is baffling!!!!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve commented on the MGW thread, but in summary, selling MGW for whatever price, is going to give us a headache because of EPL’s matchday requirement of needing at least 5 homegrown players in squad (players who trained for at least 3 years in england before they reach 21 years old).

That means MGW’s matchday position in our case has to go to another U23 player - that is a massive downgrade, unless the money is reinvested to sign another home grown player, which is going to be either expensive or someone unproven, or the third possibility is that we have to make a couple of signings to shuffle things around. This leads to the next question - what kind of quality are we bringing in with 2-3 signings with a summed total of 30-35 mil pounds?

If we’re looking to get some cash, we should be looking at funding from traore or dendoncker.

I don’t think that’s a Premier League requirement is it?

It does apply to the Football League. Previously 5, now 7 of any matchday squad of 18 must be homegrown.

But I think the Premier League’s rules still only relate to the 25 man squad named initially, in that you have to have 8 homegrown as part of it (if you register 25 players over 21). So 17 maximum non homegrown over 21. We had 15 non homegrown over 21 and 4 homegrown last season, so we were well within the rules.

I think a matchday squad can be named from any of that 25, or any amount of supplementary U21s (who can be either non homegrown or homegrown).

So if you had the maximum 17 non homegrown, you could name all of them in your matchday squad of 20, plus 3 more non homegrown U21s and you’d still be fine as long as you’d satisfied the initial squad registration criteria.

StourWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Have I missed something….!? The MGW and Coady stuff are just rumours. Nothing concrete and yet people are in full blown meltdown over it.
Think the reaction is probably more a result of yet another lacklustre transfer window. But you are right, rumours mainly from forest journos and talksport who haven't got much right so far!

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one bright side has been that we'd kept our players and that mgw was genuinely like a new signing. £30m is a lot for an unproven prem player but selling him now, unless they've got some remarkable signings lined up, makes no sense.

Then entire forward line would look weak. Imagine if neto got injured? Any new player has to bed in and we know it can sometimes take a season, especially for younger players.

Mgw's value will likely double or halve this year and no one knows which. Given that he's our player, we should be taking that risk, not forest.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must admit that ive been one of the more optimistic on here,and still am tbf
The main concerns ive had are that we lose Neves late on,and now it seems we could possibly be losing Coady,not that concerned if we stick to a back 4,MGW, more concerned if we dont have a nailed on replacement, plus Raul injured, again i believe we will get a replacement in soon
Theres a lot of concerns and not a lot of obvious replacements if we do let these players go
Ofc money talks and if we get decent fees theres no real problem ,as long as we have our ducks lined up
Are we really the confident that we do though? Thats the main concern of all

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because they don’t set their odds based on the hyperbole of emotionally attached fans?
It isn’t hyperbole of just our fans many many pundits, journalists and football experts plus the hilarious and often wrong super computer (lol) predict us to finish between 16th and 13th.

I don’t think we will go down, BUT I think we will have some moments of squeaky bum time.

We are weaker than last season and other teams have strengthened or at worst case plateaued by replacing like for like quality for what they have sold.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interview with Bruno posted today indicates that he wants to have the option of playing the two systems. Would suggest for me that he at least does not want to sell Coady.
Yep i think hes already stated that, also the same with MGW
They have also stated that they dont want to stand in the way of Coady getting game time with the World cup soon,and MGW has the ball in his court i believe
If they both happy to stay i think they will unless silly money is offered

Back
Top Bottom