Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think the window should open after the last game of the season is played
Closed a week before start of new season

While I fully agree in principle, they tried it and it failed because of international windows. England can impose a narrow window on itself, but then Barca and Real etc can still come in and unsettle our teams. It would only work if it was an internationally adopted window. But for that to work all leagues would need to start and end at the same time, which is unworkeable.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still very sceptical when it's sky sports I am....as I say it's all been mentioned before , I think to fleece everyone with bets myself.....how many people have they fleeced with bets today on neves , coady and batshuayi......
Could you imagine the scene in the SkySports News HQ where they couldn't work out where that noise was coming from.....until they discovered it was the dusty cobweb covered phone labelled 'wolves transfer news' that was ringing!

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could you imagine the scene in the SkySports News HQ where they couldn't work out where that noise was coming from.....until they discovered it was the dusty cobweb covered phone labelled 'wolves transfer news' that was ringing!
Turned out to be Wolfsburg again..

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I fully agree in principle, they tried it and it failed because of international windows. England can impose a narrow window on itself, but then Barca and Real etc can still come in and unsettle our teams. It would only work if it was an internationally adopted window. But for that to work all leagues would need to start and end at the same time, which is unworkeable.
Yes but perhaps a compromise
I do agree it must be at least a Europe wide agreement

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes but perhaps a compromise
I do agree it must be at least a Europe wide agreement

A UEFA or FIFA rule that clubs can't buy players from a league whose transfer window has closed would help. I think the major problem is that the clubs and governing bodies are all concerned right now that the very idea of transfer fees is only one legal challenge away from going, and that all power will then switch to players and contracts. Going where they want at the end of a contract, being able to give notice, etc. Like....other employees. Which would reform the whole financial model. And no clubs or governing bodies want to tempt fate by shaking up the transfer rules too much.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely we are massively appealing to any striker who wants to make a name or a world cup squad.
We have no fit centre forward, so if they come in and bag 5 goals before Raul is back they will probably keep him out and make a name for themselves in the Premier League/earn their spot on the WC plane.
This, plus the prospect of playing in front of Neves, Mouts, Neto and the gang should have strikers queueing up to join us.
Not sure I’d agree with you although I don’t know that you’re wrong.
The caliber of striker we want and can afford, might not want to join Wolves after our last two seasons performances , especially one who has World Cup ambitions like you said.
After last summers miss out on Botman and Sanchez, I presumed Jeff and Bruno would do their best to make sure this window would be different and would go all in the minute the window opened.
Yet here we are on Aug. 4th.
I suspect that Wolves had a lot of rejections.……otherwise, why haven’t we got players in yet?

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In our “old” system as you put it Raul indeed was doing great but we had Doc and Jota then and Traore was playing great in his second season.
Since then, for whatever reason, Raul, Silva, Willian and Hwang did not, imo, received enough reasonable scoring chances.

With Hwang and Raul,( back soon), playing up front, will we score more goals?
Has Bruno fixed our problem?

I think there's a slightly misguided memory when it comes to Raul's goal scoring form whilst playing as the lone striker. His absolute peak was when having Jota right next to him and/or a very in form Traore. If you think between his goal on the opening day of 2018/19 against Everton, he only scored once from open play before the Chelsea game in December which was a real turning point for him, Jota and the team in general.

What I'm getting at, is that even Jimenez struggled to score goals in our go to system before his injury. So it didn't surprise me one bit that inferior strikers did too.

From an attacking perspective we simply have to move on from 5 at the back and thankfully it does seem like we're going to. I think it's far more to do with lacking immediate support and link up, from which will hopefully be provided by a creative trio of Podence, Neto, MGW than it is about not having specific individuals within the old system.

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
Would be happy enough with Batshuayi. Especially in the circumstances and if chelsea cover some of the wages. If he could settle i think he could do a job for us

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think there's a slightly misguided memory when it comes to Raul's goal scoring form whilst playing as the lone striker. His absolute peak was when having Jota right next to him and/or a very in form Traore. If you think between his goal on the opening day of 2018/19 against Everton, he only scored once from open play before the Chelsea game in December which was a real turning point for him, Jota and the team in general.

What I'm getting at, is that even Jimenez struggled to score goals in our go to system before his injury. So it didn't surprise me one bit that inferior strikers did too.

From an attacking perspective we simply have to move on from 5 at the back and thankfully it does seem like we're going to. I think it's far more to do with lacking immediate support and link up, from which will hopefully be provided by a creative trio of Podence, Neto, MGW than it is about not having specific individuals within the old system.
Good post. Guess we’re going to find out pretty soon if MGW or a formation change will be enough.

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
That's a balanced view ( not something I am accustomed to saying about a Daily Mail article ).

Do think the social media anger is blown out of proportion, a bit like the mood on here, not representative of the silent majority who support and understand Fosun's self sustainable strategy. Certainly I don't get the feeling attending games that mood .music is anti Fosun for the majority.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In our “old” system as you put it Raul indeed was doing great but we had Doc and Jota then and Traore was playing great in his second season.
Since then, for whatever reason, Raul, Silva, Willian and Hwang did not, imo, received enough reasonable scoring chances.

With Hwang and Raul,( back soon), playing up front, will we score more goals?
Has Bruno fixed our problem?
I think the difference is that with MGW, Podence and Neto playing much closer to each other, the attacking synergy has far more potential to create a lot of chances for Raul in every game.

The Besiktas game showed how well it can work, and while we lacked a focal point against Sporting, we played some cracking football at times to get through their high press and still have an attacking threat, albeit with little to show for it other than the penalty.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the difference is that with MGW, Podence and Neto playing much closer to each other, the attacking synergy has far more potential to create a lot of chances for Raul in every game.
Fully agree. To reinforce this, I'd like to see more of MGW starting and cutting in from the right, and Pedro the other side.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think we'll see a different Raul this year compared to last year for the exact reasons you've mentioned there. He's clearly very frustrated by the injury he picked up, and hopefully he'll be back soon, but as you say, a goal every other game isn't anything to be scoffed at for a backup.

In our "old" system, we were extremely reliant on Raul for goals, his goal share as a percentage of the total must have been up there with the highest in the league, especially after losing Jota who contributed a lot of important goals for us. A lot seem to think the answer is "Replace Raul", but a switch to a more attacking system, and a more confident Raul that doesn't have the mental trauma of his injury in the back of his mind as much, and I think we'll see the old Raul unshackled again.
Agreed. We need more goals from the front three and 7/8 each from midfield. That’s the issue.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scraping the barrel of reasons why we’ve been so quiet until now and thought of this.

If we sign your average PL player they’ll be on let’s say 50k per week after the capital outlay.

3 players on 50k per week singed mid July as opposed to mid August saves is £600,000 in wages.

I’m otherthinking it I know.
Works both ways though. People will buy our players later too ;)

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could at least restrict uk club transfers to other uk clubs.

So from tomorrow would
Mean Man Utd could but neves for example

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a balanced view ( not something I am accustomed to saying about a Daily Mail article ).

Do think the social media anger is blown out of proportion, a bit like the mood on here, not representative of the silent majority who support and understand Fosun's self sustainable strategy. Certainly I don't get the feeling attending games that mood .music is anti Fosun for the majority.

Very balanced yet still make it sound like fans are angry kids complaining because we aren't spending vast sums of money to break into the top 6, with Shi being the responsible adult.
But lots of fans aren't complaining because of that.
They're angry because we're a aout to start the season with no striker and 3 senior midfielders, one of which is 36 soon

Those issues could been solved without breaking the bank or risking the future of the club.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Can only speak for the many fans I know who attend games and whilst many are not currently anti-Fosun, they are not happy with the current situation and at varying levels of disillusionment.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Things I'm tired of:
- the transfer window
- the "2 Hwangs" jokes
Dang it, hang on good buddy, don’t get all hung up about the Hwangs as you’ll soon get the hang of it and then you’ll soon enjoy haranguing one Hwang or the other Hwang on verdict days.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not disputing this for a moment, Rhos

Can only speak for the many fans I know who attend games and whilst many are not currently anti-Fosun, they are not happy with the current situation and at varying levels of disillusionment.

but what I don't get is - we've not had such an extended run in the top league for, what, half a century?

No, that doesn't automatically make me a "happy clapper" par excellence. I'm not overjoyed with having owners from such a totalitarian state, Fosun certainly have their faults as owners in terms of player recruitment, and the entertainment value often - to put it bluntly - sucks.

Yet here we are, entering our fifth consecutive season eating at the top table, and cheering on some absolute class players wearing old gold & black.

I can't help but think that if, say even a decade ago, you'd offer me what we now have, I'd bite your hand off: and I'm vegetarian ;)

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not disputing this for a moment, Rhos

but what I don't get is - we've not had such an extended run in the top league for, what, half a century?

No, that doesn't automatically make me a "happy clapper" par excellence. I'm not overjoyed with having owners from such a totalitarian state, Fosun certainly have their faults as owners in terms of player recruitment, and the entertainment value often - to put it bluntly - sucks.

Yet here we are, entering our fifth consecutive season eating at the top table, and cheering on some absolute class players wearing old gold & black.

I can't help but think that if, say even a decade ago, you'd offer me what we now have, I'd bite your hand off: and I'm vegetarian ;)

Fair comment. This season matches the longest continued spell in the top flight in my half century or so on this planet. I have my gripes and I’m not shy to express them, but I respect and thank Fosun and Jeff for that.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The anticipation and stress that the club is putting us through in regards to signing a striker has me Hwanging on by a thread……

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And lets face it, a goal every other game is consistently better than what Raul was giving us last season.

Now, I'm fully confident we'll see a much improved Raul this year and he just needed to spend last year working through the frustration and trauma. BUT bringing in a goal-every-other-game striker as our backup option is a pretty good position to be in.
Well it's not much short of 20 in the league (1 if anyone is struggling)

T-dot-wolves

Groupie
Reaction score
It is, but it also ends just when it’s about to get into the real problem. Individual games in the premier league are interesting, but as an actual competition it’s really poor. Everyone knows who the top two will be. Then the next four will be out of 5 clubs. All the genuine talent is hogged by the top 6, and because they can offer mammoth wages the next level of ability is only able to be taken on loan by the other teams -meaning they are developing the Big 6’s players for them.

I have no answers

Back
Top Bottom