Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we can. People use the silva £35m price tag

But get your point. It was a ‘favour’
Fair enough, the £35m price tag was our favour back to Mendes so yea, neither should really be used.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wolves expect Neves to stay​

Wolves are confident Ruben Neves will stay this summer and the club would like to talk to him about a new contract.
Neves is among the potential options at Manchester United if they are unsuccessful with their pursuit of Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong, who is also a target for Chelsea.
Neves shares the same agent as Cristiano Ronaldo – Jorge Mendes – as he continues trying to find a solution for the Portugal star, who wants out of Old Trafford.
Neves still has two years left to run on his Wolves deal so the club are not in any rush to tie him down, but it is likely an approach will be made after the transfer window.
The relationship between player and club is good – and they would be willing to include a clause that would allow him to move on to a Champions League club.
Neves has been keen to play in Europe’s elite competition and has always been attracted to the idea of playing for Barcelona – who do have him on their list of potential new recruits, especially if they lose De Jong.
As it stands, Neves is fully focused on the new season with Wolves and making sure he is in the Portugal team at the winter World Cup in Qatar. He is set to start in their Premier League opener at Leeds on Saturday.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's quite ridiculous that Silva left nearly a month ago and we're now only at the stage where we're looking at Hwang Ui-Jo.

As I said yesterday, nothing against his potential signing, it's what I expect. But if that's the calibre of player on the shortlist then it really should've been wrapped up a long time ago.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Presumably the Summer transfers have hinged and continue to hinge on Ruben.

Sell him (for £60m say) and we suddenly can buy Nunes (or equivalent) plus a £20m striker and a back-up midfielder.

Don’t sell him and we suddenly are looking for a much cheaper striker option and back-up midfielder.

Not redebating why we let Silva go but can understand challenges.

Do we buy now assuming Neves stays and then find he goes and suddenly who we want/can access changes.

Personal view is we’ll limp through the next couple of weeks with limited strikers/false no. 9 and then things will pick up.

As Nuno said when we bought in Bonatini the day before the season started the easiest player to integrate is the striker (although still would like him earlier!).

Still glass half full and no pitchforks. Late August might be onto half-hourly refresh though….

I think Neves is just one of many deals that have to happen before we act.

There's still a lot of Mendes clients that could be on the move. He's probably sorting Ronaldo out before anyone else!

I also think a lot of deals hinge on bigger clubs signing players first too. For example.....

United or Chelsea sign De Jong, Barca sign Neves, we sign Nunes?

Chelsea sign a striker, Werner joins RB Liepzig, they allow Andre Silva to move on, maybe to us?

We move Traore on, we bring in another side player, maybe even Guedes?

There's many, many scenarios and I think you're right about it us having low value alternatives lined up and it going into late August.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here’s the E&S version - must have gotten Fosun approval.

"It is expected that Wolves' transfer activity will move quicker once the season has started."

Couldn't be much slower!

I've never seen this lad play or heard of him before. 29 year old is slightly odd for us so imagine it would be cheap.

I just can't see any major money being spent on transfers until external investment comes in.

That's not to say we can't sign good players, but it needs excellence from our scouting team.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"It is expected that Wolves' transfer activity will move quicker once the season has started."

Couldn't be much slower!

I've never seen this lad play or heard of him before. 29 year old is slightly odd for us so imagine it would be cheap.

I just can't see any major money being spent on transfers until external investment comes in.

That's not to say we can't sign good players, but it needs excellence from our scouting team.
He will be 30 before the end of August

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Finish fifth or finish sixth
We’ll finish bottom said The Mix
Gold and Black and sometimes white
They would always win the fight

Hwang Hwang, they’ll shoot you down
Hwang Hwang, you’ll hit the ground
Hwang Hwang, that awful sound
Hwang Hwang, the Wanderers shot you down
Got this In my head now - tune!

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m struggling to understand why we aren’t moving before the rebuild becomes an absolute monster. The only logic that I can apply is that Fosun want out. Or the market is just very very tough to do deals.

I think trying to do a huge rebuild, in a year where there are 12 games until World Cup squads are announced, was never going to be easy.

Arguably we have a much bigger rebuild on our hands next summer, but that might be offset by the market being far more liquid.

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just waiting for Talking Wolves to tweet that we are buying Andre Silva and Boubacar Traore and then for Liam Keen to tweet that it's *******s

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We do a hell of a lot of 'monitoring' and 'keeping tabs'.

A bit more 'signing' and 'announcing' would be marvellous.
Interesting though keen has confirmed about hwang and the suggested another 4 being tabbed. Looks like its been given the ok by wolves/fosun.

So i would expect movement by next week and before Fulham

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We do a hell of a lot of 'monitoring' and 'keeping tabs'.

A bit more 'signing' and 'announcing' would be marvellous.
Was does ‘monitoring’ even mean? Just bull**** newspaper speak for ‘we rang their chairman and offered a hypothetical years supply of scratchings…

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting though keen has confirmed about hwang and the suggested another 4 being tabbed. Looks like its been given the ok by wolves/fosun.

So i would expect movement by next week and before Fulham
I think it’s possible we get Hwang over the line before Leeds - maybe he’s announced at Leeds like Hwang was.

Probably announcing we have other targets so Bordeaux can’t totally screw us on the price.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think when they say 'monitoring', or 'keeping tabs', it's a polite way of saying we are trying for better, but will come back to them as 2nd or 3rd choice if other things don't happen.

Like when someone gets told they haven't got the job, but the company will keep their CV on file in case future opportunities arise.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
WTF is there to "monitor" and "keep tabs on" with regards to a 30-year-old from the French 2nd division?
i mean im clutching at straws put maybe they are doing football analysis on players, and see if they fit lages model, no idea. Looking at stats, duels won etc etc

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My prediction: They're waiting for MGW to go to Forest, then Hwang will be signed for a low fee, a midfielder like that Traore and maybe a loan to buy winger.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i mean im clutching at straws put maybe they are doing football analysis on players, and see if they fit lages model, no idea. Looking at stats, duels won etc etc

You clearly haven't read all the facts posted on here.

We don't sign players based on ability, it's purely down to how marketable they are to grow foreign markets.

I'd imagine they are monitoring his Social Media activity before making any concrete moves. :wink:

T

TheConcourse

You’d think the club would be if they were 100% wanting to keep him. They haven’t so we aren’t 100% on keeping him.
Fair. I think they’re also relaxed about him leaving too.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Saturdays first eleven is as most think, we can add to the squad ( subject to injuries/ sales )

Raul
Traore
Semedo
Boly
Coady
Toti
Sarkic
Mosquera
Cundle
Hwang

Add a couple of new signings and that’s it .
Good looking bench that.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
WTF is there to "monitor" and "keep tabs on" with regards to a 30-year-old from the French 2nd division?!
It's probably retrospective scouting, for all the players we're interested in:
  • Watching footage of old games
  • Checking stats, injury record, disciplinary record etc
  • Speaking to people who've seen him play/played with him/against him
  • Speaking to people who know his character
  • Background checks
And then it'll be sounding the player out, probably informally at first:
  • Are they interested?
  • Would they be happy with the position/tactics we have in mind for them?
  • Would they be happy in the area?
  • What sort of wage/signing on fee?
  • What length contract?
  • Will they be ok not starting every game?
  • Is there anything we could put in place to help them on or off the pitch?
And then there's the bureaucratic stuff:
  • Will they get work permit?
  • Are selling club trustworthy?
  • Does selling club have any debts that might hold things up?
  • Are there any complicated rights or third party ownership agreements that might hold things up?
  • Are any other third parties going to emerge last minute to hold things up/demand money?
  • Is agent trustworthy?
Doing due diligence before making the offer reduces the chances of getting burned when the transfer's almost completed and then not having time to get second option, or having to panic buy/pay over the odds.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
  • Background checks
  • Are they interested?
  • What length contract?
  • Are there any complicated rights or third party ownership agreements that might hold things up?
  • Are any other third parties going to emerge last minute to hold things up/demand money?
  • Is agent trustworthy?
Doing due diligence before making the offer reduces the chances of getting burned when the transfer's almost completed and then not having time to get second option, or having to panic buy/pay over the odds.
Don't be silly you can just rock up and buy players in five minutes like you do on Fifa or Football Manager, that's how it works

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
  • Background checks
  • Are they interested?
  • What length contract?
  • Is agent trustworthy?
These articles were clearly planted by Fosun to let Bordeaux know we don’t “need” Hwang as we have other targets we are working on. This way Bordeaux can’t raise the price to an absurd level that we could no longer afford.

I think this deal is close.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
R

reanswolf

As others have said tired of keeping tabs, working on, monitoring, etc.

Actions speak louder than words.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
  • Background checks
  • Are they interested?
  • What length contract?
  • Is agent trustworthy?

All good and agree, but don’t you think it would be good to have done some, ideally all of that before signing off Silva’s loan? If so, then we could have acted quickly following Raul’s injury, assuming that increased the priority of bringing in another player.

Back
Top Bottom