Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So if Neves went or MGW who wants to come here that would improve the 11 ?

As so far we look like a club down the bottom half of the league this season with our activity in the market so far and paper thin squad.

So no point selling anyone if Topsy and Tim can't bring anyone of proven quality in .
Would have to be players who want prem football, but have never yet made it.

Like auoar, i mean damsgarrd who brentford are picking up would be a great shout.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Percy not giving me much time to relax

"More money will be spent before the transfer window closes. Wolves attacker Morgan Gibbs-White is the No 1 target, and Forest will have to break their transfer record again to sign him. Talks last week did not result in any agreement and Wolves insist the former England under-21 international - who will cost up to £30m - will start the season with them. "

If we accept and sell MGW, i dont know where we are heading, leicester are struggling and may lose their best players, but im concerned even with this big price tag Lage is slapping on Neves, that united will get him if they come in, they are yet to actually come in. If they lose interest in de jong, he will then go

Thats potentially 90m from MGW and Neves, but thats a ****ing lot to replace IMO
Particularly on deadline day

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Agree with you to a point but a new DOF won't change the model that Fosun want . Really sorry but the only way all this changes is new owners or we drop lucky on 3/4 really good young players that come through .

Newcastle wanted new owners as were going nowhere and nearly relegated . Leicester will probably be saying their owners need to invest or sell up. Really sorry but that is football you don't stand still .

Leicester won the league a few seasons back but that currently counts for nothing if they don't invest and they slide down the league does it.
I was never a big critic of Thelwell although one face value he didn't seem to get everything right I thought he became an easy target for the fans, I even said to him once that his biggest problem was we all think we can do his job better.

I do feel though that Sellars isn't on the same level at Thelwell and we could do with a more experienced Director of Football, with a wider set of contacts and gravitas in the game. The promoting from within doesn't always work and you end up with someone who's happy muddling along in the status quo rather than doing things differently, even within the same framework.

I have no insight into the day to day running of the club, but a stronger and wiser DoF could have challenged the committee's decisions a little more and we'd already have Sanches and Enzo Fernandes in the squad.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was never a big critic of Thelwell although one face value he didn't seem to get everything right I thought he became an easy target for the fans, I even said to him once that his biggest problem was we all think we can do his job better.

I do feel though that Sellars isn't on the same level at Thelwell and we could do with a more experienced Director of Football, with a wider set of contacts and gravitas in the game. The promoting from within doesn't always work and you end up with someone who's happy muddling along in the status quo rather than doing things differently, even within the same framework.

I have no insight into the day to day running of the club, but a stronger and wiser DoF could have challenged the committee's decisions a little more and we'd already have Sanches and Enzo Fernandes in the squad.
I dont understand enzo fernandes and what happened there i really dont

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with you to a point but a new DOF won't change the model that Fosun want . Really sorry but the only way all this changes is new owners or we drop lucky on 3/4 really good young players that come through .

Newcastle wanted new owners as were going nowhere and nearly relegated . Leicester will probably be saying their owners need to invest or sell up. Really sorry but that is football you don't stand still .

Leicester won the league a few seasons back but that currently counts for nothing if they don't invest and they slide down the league does it.

I think even within the parameters set by Fosun, that an experienced DoF would help. Both in developing and executing a strategy, and in challenging “group think” and “sunflower bias” which can be worse within organisations which promote from within.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not saying Sellars is the man for the job but I think IMO it is a yes man's game under the current setup.

Bruno last year said he wanted various things that never happened . Am I surprised he has not spoken to the media or any comms through the club . NO

Sellars probably like Shi is doing what he is told from the top. The only way that changes if we have different owners .

Under Thelwell we spent more money the talk was of stadium improvements and pushing to be in Europe . None of these seem possible at the moment as the investment has dried up. So for me at the end of the window if we get a token loan and a 19 year old from Argentina that will not be ready to play then I will be thinking the owners need to go ASAP fro us to progess and move forward .

As I said before you stand still you will drop down the league. yes we can't spend £200 million a window like Man City . But come on don't kid yourselves we all knew we needed a striker and a CM and currently have got neither and that was from the last window or two.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
I've read several comments now about how Shi, Sellars and Fosun are going to hear about it at the Fulham game and how toxic its going to get. Before we start rounding up the mob maybe some context should be worth considering:

Shi has stated clearly that post pandemic, the owners have said that the club must be run in a self sustaining manner and must now generate its own funds.

Why, when Fosun are a multi-billion pound business are they saying this? Fosun are an incredibly diverse group with interests in travel, pharmaceuticals and manufacturing as well as many other sectors. Where are you going to direct your investment in a business enviroinment that is in recovery from global pandemic? Just as one example, to a travel business that has been barely able to generate any income for two years or a football club that is guaranteed at least £100m income from its league?

You could point to other examples where the need for propping up investment must be a priority over Wolves, but that's one clear example. I doubt whether any serious investment will come from Fosun for at least another two years. That's not to say that others may come in and inject funds but there's little evidence that will happen in the short term/

I'm as concerned as anyone at the state of the squad and undoubtedly mistakes have been made but equally I can see clearly that Shi and Sellars are operating to a budget and are having to be naturally cautious about how they spend. They are not completely exempt from criticism for sure but the circumstances they're operating under are not ideal and before we go chanting "where's the money gone" perhaps we should bear that in mind.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we stop posting this guys tweets please? Proven previously to be a fraud who just happens to have landed with a Blue Tick somehow.
Hes just rehashing the more obscure.

So here is the example on palace - but no wolves

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Connor Ronan propaganda on the official site. Have I entered a different reality where we are back mid table Championship, and not actually about to embark on our 5th season in the PL?!?
Clearly not there was the MGW propaganda now Ronan, expect hes to stay and is part of the plans

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've read several comments now about how Shi, Sellars and Fosun are going to hear about it at the Fulham game and how toxic its going to get. Before we start rounding up the mob maybe some context should be worth considering:

Shi has stated clearly that post pandemic, the owners have said that the club must be run in a self sustaining manner and must now generate its own funds.

Why, when Fosun are a multi-billion pound business are they saying this? Fosun are an incredibly diverse group with interests in travel, pharmaceuticals and manufacturing as well as many other sectors. Where are you going to direct your investment in a business enviroinment that is in recovery from global pandemic? Just as one example, to a travel business that has been barely able to generate any income for two years or a football club that is guaranteed at least £100m income from its league?

You could point to other examples where the need for propping up investment must be a priority over Wolves, but that's one clear example. I doubt whether any serious investment will come from Fosun for at least another two years. That's not to say that others may come in and inject funds but there's little evidence that will happen in the short term/

I'm as concerned as anyone at the state of the squad and undoubtedly mistakes have been made but equally I can see clearly that Shi and Sellars are operating to a budget and are having to be naturally cautious about how they spend. They are not completely exempt from criticism for sure but the circumstances they're operating under are not ideal and before we go chanting "where's the money gone" perhaps we should bear that in mind.

Why?

Because it’s a very prudent business decision and makes financial sense.

In the world of football, where finances are out of control and prudent business decisions are rarely made, it’s actually quite refreshing.

Yes, like most Wolves fans, I’d love us to be in a position like Newcastle, without the need to be prudent. Or City, who have the turnover to back up their unconstrained spending too!

But we’re not in that position. Everton should show people that being frivolous doesn’t work. Trying to compete with the biggest spenders by following the same business model is doomed to fail.

Leicester too have got to a position where they’ve maxed out on squad numbers and wages, to the point where they are forced to sell before they buy, rather than it being a business decision.

All those clubs should prove to people why choosing to operate like we are makes sense longer term, especially with the cap on spending and wages that’s coming (clubs capped to 90% of turnover on wages and transfer fees this season, 80% next season, then down to 70% the year after). We are already at 72% of turnover just on wages.

Add in the risk that at any point, China could pull the plug. A risk that I don’t think will happen, but is there. It makes even more sense for us not to be reliant on Fosun underwriting our debt or pumping money in just so we can operate on a day to day basis.

It all makes sense. It will give us the upper hand on similar sized clubs in time. People just need some patience!

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't want or expect us to go out and spend ridiculous money on players, giving them huge contracts, etc.

I do expect us to have more than one striker, three central midfielders, and three fullbacks in the squad.

We kick off a Premier League campaign in a few days and we don't have a striker. Our backup central midfielder is a 24-year-old who has just returned from a loan at St Mirren.

Do we have valid reasons for not spending loads of money? Sure, I can accept that. Do we have valid reasons for allowing the squad to be in this state at the start of a Premier League season? Absolutely not. It is unacceptable.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I refuse to believe that Jeff and Co are idiots.

Working to a budget, trying high risk high reward ideas, doing things differently, being tough to deal with, won't take any **** from agents is far more likely than being idiots.

I totally understand the Adama deal. He was desperate to get the chance and we had a possibility to get double the next best deal (if there was even a deal on the table) - it didn't work. Life happens.

We will take a few additional players before the window closes.

I would have preferred more players in by now, but I suspect they are playing chicken with a few options.

Let's see how it pans out before we get the pitchforks out.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This year was “we need a refresh”
Last year was “trust us”
No interview with Bruno over all of pre season
A depleted squad last year, we have gotten rid of 6/7 first team squad players with only 1 incoming.
Fabio being moved on with out a replacement sorted
3 days away from Leeds and desperately need at least 3 for the first team let alone the squad but same “we will wait for the deal” **** constantly which generally means no one else is signing.
0 investment in 3/4 years

So you can understand completely why the fans are gathering and not happy. If you tell people you want to attack the top 7, then back it up with actions!!! if we can’t reach those levels then taper your expectations and go after a few decent signings.

It’s **** the way the footballing side is run and i feel sorry for Bruno who looks like he’s been silenced .

I’ve said the above so many times but I go back to the point, the season doesn’t start when the window closes September 1st it’s august 6th and we’ve all seen the “no rush” “wait for the deal” **** before and we will inevitably get let down again!!!!

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Listening to the Totally Football Show season preview podcast this morning...

"And next we'll turn our attention to the other end of the table and discuss who's going down this season....alongside Wolves, of course"

How on earth did we end up here?

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have we still got a special relationship with Jorge Mendes? The only thing he seems to have done in the last twelve months is try and get a move for Adama; has he made any significant contribution since Nuno left?
I know it is not something that we are entitled to, but it is something that we definitely had.

Last edited:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I genuinely feel that bruno cant verbalise his discontent, remember its his job and livelihood.

He will maybe put a few strong arm statements in his pre leeds presser but other than that i dont think he can push to far.

Fosun can easily give him the jump and look for another mendes client

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

"And next we'll turn our attention to the other end of the table and discuss who's going down this season....alongside Wolves, of course"

It's a bit of an in-joke. One of their contributors has a reputation for successfully predicting unlikely relegation candidates and he said he thought we could struggle. They turned this into a joke about how we're nailed on to go down as a way of poking fun at the media hype machine and that contributor. None of the contributors on that episode thought we'd go down and the general consensus was as it is on here: if our first team stays fit and we can score goals we'll be fine, but goal scoring and strength-in-depth could see us struggle.

The general consensus was that the promoted teams, Leeds, Everton and Brentford are the most likely to go down. We were mentioned as part of a group of teams who could finish anywhere from eighth to 20th.

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me FSG/Jeff is playing the long game in this race.
Live by its means, keep ticking over in the PL jnti we reach the new cap %.
By then the hope that 'Brand Wolves' will be a few more years down the line with a greater income to FSG, then a investment can be made through Wolves FC due to the higher % income made.

Just a pure guess on my side.

I like other just cannot feel it thus year, and feel like I'm just thinking meh, it is what it is.. what can we do about it? Nothing.
You've already bought season tickets, fans might drop off but some will take their place.
Just sit back, watch (fingers in front of face open sometimes) and try to enjoy the last years of Mouts, Neves as some have never had it so good.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Was it Deano or Paul Merson? Both hate our club in different ways, both somehow got decent pundit jobs?!

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is often missed in this discussion is the impact of ever-tightening UEFA spending rules, justified under
some nonsense sustainability criteria. See for a comprehensive and well-written summary:

What about competitive balance? Will this give smaller clubs more of a chance to compete with the big clubs?

The new rules are about financial stability and not competitive balance. They are designed to make sure clubs are run properly, they are not designed to make competitions fairer or more equal. UEFA has decided to drop the name 'Financial Fair Play' because they believe it gave the false impression that they were trying to create a level playing field. They will continue to look at competitive balance but their key objective has so far been financial stability.
In particular note this paragraph:

These come into effect, in a staggered way, from June 2022, ie now.

Wolves operate on a wages level of 70% of turnover. The new regulations now include spending on transfers and agent fees as part of this 70%. This represents a major tightening of possibility for ambitious clubs, who will be forced to lower their wages over the next three years to allow for transfer activity.

Not enough has been said or written how much advantage this gives the top group with their much higher turnover.

Nor for that matter, how the raised limits for allowable losses, (up to 60m Euros over a three year period), can meaningfully be used
by clubs hoping to build their squads up when the 70% rule applies.

Its a complex area, which partly explains the lack of discussion and protest. But it is also partly explained by a generalised resignation amongst the football public that the cartel at the top of the game are more or less irresistible in their insatiable desire to remove the competitive element from the game as far as humanly possible.

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As bad as things are in terms of incomings, I don't have us anywhere near relegation this season. I'd have thought there would be five teams more likely than us to go down.

What do the bookies think at the moment?

Edit:- I think this has us as 8th favorites

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A few noises that suggest Stever might be right.

Apart from Wolves, you don’t waste time on a target that doesn’t want to join, so Forest obviously getting encouraged from MGW. And Percy mentions the £30m fee he said.

Ornstein saying Chelsea hoping to strike deal for De Jong, which would mean United turn elsewhere - Neves.

Now just need a rumour about Coady.

Typical that the only actual ITK would be one with the bad news :D

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They also thought Spurs would challenge for the title...

Honestly though I do think there's a point about us regressing to a point where relegation while not extremely likely, certainly isnt a farfetched scenario.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think Fosun care whatsoever what the legacy fans think. Through their representative on earth Poundshop Jeff they have only shown utter disdain towards them. Loyal fans that have gone to games for decades are not important. Irrelevant, ignored and barely tolerated is the best a Wolves fan can hope for with these utter deplorables running us into the ground to make a bigger profit when we're offloaded.
What an absolutely ridiculous post. Best few years of watching wolves for decades and you come out with that.

Yes a few issues but come on.

Edit: read and edited this as thought maybe I'd been over harsh. Still, this kind of entitled oh woe is me attitude is completely divorced from reality, taking offence as any little thing by distorting what actually was said or happened.

Absolutely agree we have squad issues and that fosun aren't going to fund the stadium (at the mo), both of which don't sit well. But the above is completely wrong

Last edited:

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Apart from Wolves, you don’t waste time on a target that doesn’t want to join, so Forest obviously getting encouraged from MGW. And Percy mentions the £30m fee he said.

Ornstein saying Chelsea hoping to strike deal for De Jong, which would mean United turn elsewhere - Neves.

Might be a good time to get on those relegation odds then actually :D

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have we still got a special relationship with Jorge Mendes? The only thing he seems to have done in the last twelve months is try and get a move for Adama; has he made any significant contribution since Nuno left?
I know it is not something that we are entitled to, but it is something that we definitely had.

There's certainly a working relationship, and Fosun has their investment in Gestifute. But I do think something has broken in the relationship. From what I gather it happened when Mendes tried to get Nuno in talks for the Arsenal job, but there could be other points, including the Silva deal. Also Mendes had a special relationship with Nuno as well, that he doesnt have with Bruno, except from a normal client/agent relationship.

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why?

Because it’s a very prudent business decision and makes financial sense.

In the world of football, where finances are out of control and prudent business decisions are rarely made, it’s actually quite refreshing.

Yes, like most Wolves fans, I’d love us to be in a position like Newcastle, without the need to be prudent. Or City, who have the turnover to back up their unconstrained spending too!

But we’re not in that position. Everton should show people that being frivolous doesn’t work. Trying to compete with the biggest spenders by following the same business model is doomed to fail.

Leicester too have got to a position where they’ve maxed out on squad numbers and wages, to the point where they are forced to sell before they buy, rather than it being a business decision.

All those clubs should prove to people why choosing to operate like we are makes sense longer term, especially with the cap on spending and wages that’s coming (clubs capped to 90% of turnover on wages and transfer fees this season, 80% next season, then down to 70% the year after). We are already at 72% of turnover just on wages.

Add in the risk that at any point, China could pull the plug. A risk that I don’t think will happen, but is there. It makes even more sense for us not to be reliant on Fosun underwriting our debt or pumping money in just so we can operate on a day to day basis.

It all makes sense. It will give us the upper hand on similar sized clubs in time. People just need some patience!
All very well in practice and on a macro level I agree with you but Fosun have made their own problems by recruiting extremely poorly the last time they pumped money in when we signed Fabio, who at 35m is in his third season is laoned out without any other senior back up striker, and Semedo who is ok but we vastly overpaid for in the context of what we sold his replacement for and his extra wages, and for kicking the can down the road particularly on having any plan to upgrade or even replace on a like for like basis the midfield. If we don't get a midfielder in Neves will 100% be off next season, Moutinho who is already a diminshing force will once again be out of contract and Dendonker who has been very poor for 2 seasons now will be running down to the end of his contract so we would probably need to replace at least 2 and possibly all 3 midfielders and with what money to do so? If we're not careful the prudency alongside the incompetency of rectuitment in the last 2 years leads to ever decreasing circles that will culminate in us being back in the Championship.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The one thing i have seen about gibbs-white is they are really put off by the 30m which does go with what stever said, that he will only go if valuation met.

Also said about price tag for united and united havent yet come in but might.

This is my concern, that week 3 united put 60m on the table for neves and he is off.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hahaha…..touché, old chap! What flavour are the cookies?

btw, I never break….lol.

weird thing. You posted that 8 hrs. ago but it only got to me 7 hr. later. I’ve noticed that happens with your replies from time to time.
glitch in the system I suppose
No I am still in pre-mod, hopefully one day that can change but it’s cool.

Any cookie mate, it is how darth vader got me…..

It is getting twitchy now in terms of the season and signings. I want there to be truth the brereton Diaz as he is settled to English footy, can play wide and centrally and I think is an upgrade on hwang. But the fact he offers the same wide and central option I doubt they do it as they spent £14m on hwang only a few weeks ago….

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a lot of people called out the Fabio signing at the time of purchase and at the time of his recent loan, as well as at the point of the Adama loan, as stupid or at minimum certainly not benefitting Wolves.

Nothing to do with hindsight.
Indeed, both deals being good were contingent in the other half of them. Still time for adama to sign an extension but the silva deal was ill timed, no question.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I refuse to believe that Jeff and Co are idiots.

Working to a budget, trying high risk high reward ideas, doing things differently, being tough to deal with, won't take any **** from agents is far more likely than being idiots.

I totally understand the Adama deal. He was desperate to get the chance and we had a possibility to get double the next best deal (if there was even a deal on the table) - it didn't work. Life happens.

We will take a few additional players before the window closes.

I would have preferred more players in by now, but I suspect they are playing chicken with a few options.

Let's see how it pans out before we get the pitchforks out.

We are 3 days and 5 hours from the start of the season, and we have no fit striker, and we were already a team which struggled to score last season. It doesn’t matter that the window remains open for another few weeks, in that time, we play 5 games, with 15 points up for grabs. 15 points which could secure Europe, PL survival, or maybe just 10-15m in extra prize money. How many times do our management need to balls things up before their cheerleaders decide to stop giving them the benefit of doubt?

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is often missed in this discussion is the impact of ever-tightening UEFA spending rules, justified under
some nonsense sustainability criteria. See for a comprehensive and well-written summary:

What about competitive balance? Will this give smaller clubs more of a chance to compete with the big clubs?

The new rules are about financial stability and not competitive balance. They are designed to make sure clubs are run properly, they are not designed to make competitions fairer or more equal. UEFA has decided to drop the name 'Financial Fair Play' because they believe it gave the false impression that they were trying to create a level playing field. They will continue to look at competitive balance but their key objective has so far been financial stability.
In particular note this paragraph:

These come into effect, in a staggered way, from June 2022, ie now.

Wolves operate on a wages level of 70% of turnover. The new regulations now include spending on transfers and agent fees as part of this 70%. This represents a major tightening of possibility for ambitious clubs, who will be forced to lower their wages over the next three years to allow for transfer activity.

Not enough has been said or written how much advantage this gives the top group with their much higher turnover.

Nor for that matter, how the raised limits for allowable losses, (up to 60m Euros over a three year period), can meaningfully be used
by clubs hoping to build their squads up when the 70% rule applies.

Its a complex area, which partly explains the lack of discussion and protest. But it is also partly explained by a generalised resignation amongst the football public that the cartel at the top of the game are more or less irresistible in their insatiable desire to remove the competitive element from the game as far as humanly possible.
An interesting point to think about is how little opposition these radical changes faced. The major Covid losses almost certainly have played a big role here. The new 70% rule effectively mandates that all clubs will now operate at a profit of some degree, so all clubs will be able over the next few years be able to recover some of the losses for the Covid affected period. UEFA have exploited this crisis to further cement the monopoly advantage of the top group, (there are13 clubs in the Rich list with a clear lead over the rest).

Its a dystopian model in my view and may well lead to a drop in interest in the game, (certainly for me at least!). That narrow window of competitive possibility still available is effectively been closed shut with these changes. There should be a legal challenge put together by an alliance of the most affected clubs, ie that strata able to assembe a competitive squad, with top level training facilities, backed by a passionate public, on the basis of restriction of trade and removal of competitive possibility, but there seems to be no appetite for that.

Back
Top Bottom