Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nathan Collins

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Collins could well be a key component of the puzzle if he lets us switch to a back four. Excellent work Jeff, Scott et al (particularly with what seems like a reasonable fee), but you can't rest on your laurels. I saw a tweet about a week ago that suggested Collins was the only player on our radar, which won't be enough for us to progress IMO, even if we keep our other players.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent to get someone in.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Collins could well be a key component of the puzzle if he lets us switch to a back four. Excellent work Jeff, Scott et al (particularly with what seems like a reasonable fee), but you can't rest on your laurels. I saw a tweet about a week ago that suggested Collins was the only player on our radar, which won't be enough for us to progress IMO, even if we keep our other players.
Absolutely we need another CM and striker on top of what we have currently

JH1902

Groupie
Reaction score
Stoke City captain at 18, features for ROI in international matches, scored a cracker for them recently and adapted well to the Premier League with Burnley all whilst being 21.

We've got a good un on our hands here I reckon.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I presume this will be a Sellars signing and not a Jorge placement. Therefore, according to some on here, as Sellars doesn’t know his backside from his elbow and is the worst Technical/Football Director to be appointed to any club ever in the history of football, Collins will be rubbish and will play like the kid picked last in the playground. Alternatively it might indicate that Sellars is looking in the right areas.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Burnley fans saying they need a centre half so I'm really surprised we didn't try and use Sanderson as a make weight in this deal.

Maybe Burnley couldn't guarantee him the playing time.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

MontyR

Reaction score
Burnley fans saying they need a centre half so I'm really surprised we didn't try and use Sanderson as a make weight in this deal.

Maybe Burnley couldn't guarantee him the playing time.
Someone mentioned that Sanderson had a few offers but didn't want to leave the West Midlands.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pete O'Rourke says he's currently having his Medical done. We ain't messing around!
The Athletic article he referenced is a good read on Collins. Worth a read if you have access. Sounds like a superb addition.

bennymacca

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Burnley fans absolutely gutted and universally say £20m is a bargain. Very pleased with this move. Coady, Boly providing senior experience together with Kilman and Collins while Mosquera and Gomes are vying for a spot. seems like real strength in depth, even if an injury/suspension or two come along

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's such a good dribbler. Didn't get to show it with Burnley data wise, although even though his numbers were low he was like miles ahead of Mee/Tarkowski in the same system which is great signs.
He seems to be a really good "smooth" lateral athlete as well.
I remember watching one of the Burnley games (I confess I can't remember the opposition) and he picked the ball up a couple of times and carried the ball deep into their half (the one time he even got a shot off in the penalty area, deflected for a corner).
And it was really noticeable and I remember thinking, he's a good un. He stood out.

If he played in a back 3 on the right side, his direct and positive play carrying the ball would really be a weapon (IMHO)

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember watching one of the Burnley games (I confess I can't remember the opposition) and he picked the ball up a couple of times and carried the ball deep into their half (the one time he even got a shot off in the penalty area, deflected for a corner).
And it was really noticeable and I remember thinking, he's a good un. He stood out.

If he played in a back 3 on the right side, his direct and positive play carrying the ball would really be a weapon (IMHO)
Let's hope we've neutralised the sniper who took Stearman down.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“He did a lot of work during and after training and then we tested it in matches,” explains Elliott. “We would tell our full-backs to play really high to leave a lot of space, deliberately setting it up to challenge him so he could learn how to cope with it.

“The fact he has been able to play at right-back for the first team is a testament to how much his one-on-one defending has developed.”

That's quite a key excerpt in the Athletic article, given if we employ Lage's tactics from Benfica, the full backs will often play very high, almost in line with the forwards, so the two centre backs are far more exposed to one-on-one situations. One of the two holding midfielders will drop back to create a back three when building the play, but will move up and support the attack when the ball is in the final third, so if the play does break down, we will be far more susceptible to the counter. Kilman and Collins being good one-on-one defenders is absolutely crucial to the success of this system.

We saw a little bit of this system in last year's preseason, but I think it was against Las Palmas (a second tier Spanish side) that we shipped three goals playing with a high line and we never saw it again, which I think was absolutely the correct decision for damage limitation last season.

It'll be interesting to see if the back four is the way we go in the preseason games in Spain, especially with them trying to get Collins in before they fly to Spain tonight.

96d4194b98c59f82b61640cb36ad84fd.jpg

30c40ec5483481142dd7db1415713596.jpg

0ce9521313013f71c16b8901a3304dff.jpg

a88524e56d5d6014c7ddd5bb2a4dfba5.jpg
c938ccc159276f2e9ec93c02d97abecd.jpg

wolfie_tc

Groupie
Reaction score
Super chuffed with this one (providing nothing untoward happens and he actually does sign..).

Don’t know much about him myself but everything I’m reading has got me very excited to see him next season.

Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 12.21.30.png

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I presume this will be a Sellars signing and not a Jorge placement. Therefore, according to some on here, as Sellars doesn’t know his backside from his elbow and is the worst Technical/Football Director to be appointed to any club ever in the history of football, Collins will be rubbish and will play like the kid picked last in the playground. Alternatively it might indicate that Sellars is looking in the right areas.
Cue comments about broken clocks etc, lol....

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If his runs from deep are half as good as Emblen's then we have one hell of a player on our hands
Yeah and then we can stick him up front like Emblen. No need for a new striker . . .

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's quite a key excerpt in the Athletic article, given if we employ Lage's tactics from Benfica, the full backs will often play very high, almost in line with the forwards, so the two centre backs are far more exposed to one-on-one situations. One of the two holding midfielders will drop back to create a back three when building the play, but will move up and support the attack when the ball is in the final third, so if the play does break down, we will be far more susceptible to the counter. Kilman and Collins being good one-on-one defenders is absolutely crucial to the success of this system.

We saw a little bit of this system in last year's preseason, but I think it was against Las Palmas (a second tier Spanish side) that we shipped three goals playing with a high line and we never saw it again, which I think was absolutely the correct decision for damage limitation last season.

It'll be interesting to see if the back four is the way we go in the preseason games in Spain, especially with them trying to get Collins in before they fly to Spain tonight.

96d4194b98c59f82b61640cb36ad84fd.jpg

30c40ec5483481142dd7db1415713596.jpg

0ce9521313013f71c16b8901a3304dff.jpg

a88524e56d5d6014c7ddd5bb2a4dfba5.jpg
c938ccc159276f2e9ec93c02d97abecd.jpg
I’m sorry but such informative, evidence based and enlightening posts have no place on here.

You’re on the wrong forum.

Back
Top Bottom