Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Joao Moutinho Surely Deserves a New 1 or 2 year Contract

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it possible to start a ‘Rogues Gallery’ of all the nasty *******s who have nothing better to do than baselessly beat their anti-Wolves agenda on their little drum.
Mouts has signed for a year. Great business by the club.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
This feels like the first bit of good news from the close season. If the rumour about Neves is true, that would turn a 1/10 transfer window into a 5/10 instantly!
And let's face it a 5/10 transfer window is the best for a while! Honestly feel that with that a dominant CH would be enough for a change in formation and a season to look forward to.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He should be the 4th option in a 3 ideally imo. Ruben, A.N Other and MGW as the furthest forward. Then he can be used as a game manager if we are winning or for formation changes etc
Honestly I think they need a mobile evil ******* in there to run and tidy up. Then you can play Joao further forward and he can pick passes. I’d like Alex Rae in there or Steve McMahon
Joao is great on the ball, his weakness is people running past him. Give him someone mobile to run cover for him and let him orchestrate attacks.
I expect we won’t though, we’ll play him & Ruben in a two up again at quality 3 man midfield and get confused and angry that they aren’t dictating the play…

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Honestly I think they need a mobile evil ******* in there to run and tidy up. Then you can play Joao further forward and he can pick passes. I’d like Alex Rae in there or Steve McMahon
Joao is great on the ball, his weakness is people running past him. Give him someone mobile to run cover for him and let him orchestrate attacks.
I expect we won’t though, we’ll play him & Ruben in a two up again at quality 3 man midfield and get confused and angry that they aren’t dictating the play…
Joao has never played further forward in his career though and never been an attack orchestra? He's always been a sitter, who retains possession well and nicks ball really well.

His progressive passing numbers are mediocre at best compared to other sitting CMs.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad that we've only given him a 1 year deal, if he's a world beater this season he can have another year next year. If as I suspect we are now not looking for another midfielder then it will be a massive mistake we cannot expect him to play week in week out, he needs help. We need another midfielder to take corners as Moutinho makes too many errors.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad that we've only given him a 1 year deal, if he's a world beater this season he can have another year next year. If as I suspect we are now not looking for another midfielder then it will be a massive mistake we cannot expect him to play week in week out, he needs help. We need another midfielder to take corners as Moutinho makes too many errors.
You suspected Moutinho was off so perhaps not the most reliable barometer.

Completely agree re corners. I don't know what happened to his delivery because I seem to recall it used to be good. Poor now though

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Completely agree re corners. I don't know what happened to his delivery because I seem to recall it used to be good. Poor now though
I was convinced he was gone correct he's backed down so I suspect he hasn't had a 2 year offer good enough from elsewhere.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Joao has never played further forward in his career though and never been an attack orchestra? He's always been a sitter, who retains possession well and nicks ball really well.

His progressive passing numbers are mediocre at best compared to other sitting CMs.
But he also wasn’t 36 earlier in his career and I’m trying to use his brain rather than his legs. I can think of many examples of him playing killer passes into the final 3rd and on the odd occasion he’s close enough to shoot he can be very effective, as can Neves. As for his progressive passing stats, he’s been playing in a defensive midfield 2 so I’m not sure what that proves?
If we played 4 at the back with a higher line and a mobile ball winner around them, he and Neves could play further forward and impact the game more positively.
Not turning him into Kaka I just think we should think more creatively given the qualities of the players we have.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

But he also wasn’t 36 earlier in his career and I’m trying to use his brain rather than his legs. I can think of many examples of him playing killer passes into the final 3rd and on the odd occasion he’s close enough to shoot he can be very effective, as can Neves. As for his progressive passing stats, he’s been playing in a defensive midfield 2 so I’m not sure what that proves?
If we played 4 at the back with a higher line and a mobile ball winner around them, he and Neves could play further forward and impact the game more positively.
Not turning him into Kaka I just think we should think more creatively given the qualities of the players we have.
I said his progressive passing numbers vs other sitting midfielders. They are mediocre.
I don't think he is a hugely creative force, he is a tempo controller who needs a more creative force next to him to give us options especially against teams sitting back who we've basically always been terrible at breaking down.

Neither he nor Neves want to play further forwards, Neves literally models his game on Pirlo

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think he can still whip a great corner in, but I suspect he was either intentionally (or was told) to play %. I saw a piece last year (think it was Tifo) stating only 3.4% of corners lead to a goal in the Prem. We often seem to play short. It doesn’t help that we aren’t particularly blessed with height. Hwang, Podence, Neto, Neves etc aren’t really smashing the CH out of the way Bully style to smash a header in so I’d imagine our % probability is even lower.

Anyway If fit I’d get Neto to take them.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said his progressive passing numbers vs other sitting midfielders. They are mediocre.
I don't think he is a hugely creative force, he is a tempo controller who needs a more creative force next to him to give us options especially against teams sitting back who we've basically always been terrible at breaking down.

Neither he nor Neves want to play further forwards, Neves literally models his game on Pirlo
Again, in our system he’s generally in a low block in his own half. His explicit job is to recycle the ball to wingbacks. Why we he have high progressive passing stats, it’s not what he’s asked to do (currently).
Also they don’t have to become a 10… they can be further up the pitch and still play in the same position, because the entire teams starting position is further up the pitch because we aren’t playing a back 3/5 and camped in our own half.
Neves can play as a perfect regista and still have a starting position 20 yards further up the pitch, simply by virtue of having the confidence (and defence) to play a higher line.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Again, in our system he’s generally in a low block in his own half. His explicit job is to recycle the ball to wingbacks. Why we he have high progressive passing stats, it’s not what he’s asked to do (currently).
Also they don’t have to become a 10… they can be further up the pitch and still play in the same position, because the entire teams starting position is further up the pitch because we aren’t playing a back 3/5 and camped in our own half.
Neves can play as a perfect regista and still have a starting position 20 yards further up the pitch, simply by virtue of having the confidence (and defence) to play a higher line.
He doesn't play those passes because he is by nature a conservative player from a generally conservative footballing nation. Lage certainly didn't ask him to play the ball sideways as much as he did if you watched him on the touchline.

A ball progressor in the midfield should be the key priority in this window. A dribbler ideally but passer would be fine as well. Relying on Moutinho to create for us which he's never shown he wants to do rather than just recycle possession would be foolhardy

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He doesn't play those passes because he is by nature a conservative player from a generally conservative footballing nation. Lage certainly didn't ask him to play the ball sideways as much as he did if you watched him on the touchline.

A ball progressor in the midfield should be the key priority in this window. A dribbler ideally but passer would be fine as well. Relying on Moutinho to create for us which he's never shown he wants to do rather than just recycle possession would be foolhardy
Didn’t say rely on, I said if properly supported in a 3 with a higher starting position, they (Moutinho & Neves) could impact the game more positively.
We shall see, I’m not holding my breath.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great news he's signed on. Hopefully as others have said he's used more sparingly this year. He's ideal in certain games where we're a bit deeper and he can nick the ball and keep it moving.

I just wouldn't play him in games where we have loads of possession as he can be a bit sideways. Better used as an impact sub in those matches to close them out.

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great news indeed - what a player to be keeping on our books, even if he is slowing down a bit [and was never, um, exactly lightening fast to start with]. Who'd've imagined this a few years ago :~}

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll risk a lifetime ban here by saying that while the new deal is moderately good news, that's all it is. MF still needs upgrading and Moutinho cannot be allowed anywhere near free kicks and corners, which were shocking last year. But if Bruno wanted him to stay it's good that he's been backed.

As always I respect others' right to disagree and I'll accept my exile to the Tesco forum with good grace...
While l don't agree many of your points l really do like the respectful humourous way in which you posted. Wish that was more common (and fully know that l can be guilty at times) on here.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll risk a lifetime ban here by saying that while the new deal is moderately good news, that's all it is. MF still needs upgrading and Moutinho cannot be allowed anywhere near free kicks and corners, which were shocking last year. But if Bruno wanted him to stay it's good that he's been backed.

As always I respect others' right to disagree and I'll accept my exile to the Tesco forum with good grace...
I agree. Him staying with nothing else to paper over the cracks, is another year wasted. Him staying and a younger option also being bought in would be ideal. Him staying and Cundle and MGW staying is the Lidl that we are likely shopping in.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who would have imagined ten years ago when we'd just slid out of the Premier League with Clipboard at the helm that 10 years later we'd be looking at our fifth consecutive season with João Moutinho is a key element of our EPL midfield?
Are you suggesting that Henry, O'Holiday and Jones aren't as good?

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you suggesting that Henry, O'Holiday and Jones aren't as good?
I wasn't seeking to make that point, valid though it undoubtedly is.

Just marvelling at the fact we've got João Moutinho for a fifth consecutive EPL season as an integral part of our midfield (although I hope we have the players come 1st September to ensure he's used more sparingly this coming season).

Screenshot_20220203-005000_copy_661x625.png

Last edited:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wasn't seeking to make that point, valid though it undoubtedly is. Just marvelling at the fact we've got João Moutinho for a fifth consecutive EPL season as an integral part of our midfield (although I hope we have the players come 1st September to ensure he's used more sparingly this coming season).
I just - I was being facetious!

It is mad to compare the players we have at our disposal now to last time.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He can still play a role, he was very good last year,he is as good now as he was when he first joined which is testament to him and a credit to his dedication.

Best move all-round gets regular premier league game time for what is going to be his last World cup and he is still a very good player for us, next year he can leave and get one last big payday for his final move.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s gonna take one helluva pre-season to get Alex Rae up to speed.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rae or McMahon would be lucky to last 30 mins with current referees and VAR.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heart is delighted and head will be too if we re-enforce the midfield, otherwise we fall into the stagnant traps of last year with another 12 months in the great man’s legs.

Also the best player I’ve seen in a Wolves shirt.

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great news and hopefully another quality CM still to come in.

Back
Top Bottom