Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Joao Moutinho Surely Deserves a New 1 or 2 year Contract

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get the anxiety for him to sign tbh.
The tempo we play at is too slow, and the reality is this guy is the conductor of the orchestra. If we had beaten Norwich, not been battered by Brighton, created some decent chances against Newcastle, dominated against Burnley i would get it.
But that is a lot of games to be a bit **** in when your contract is up for renewal.
It's not like we've missed him when he hasn't played either.

You’ll get lynched for that mate but I agree 100%.

We need to evolve as a team and move on. If Ruben is staying thenthe question should always be about who partners him.

That said he has been great for us but I’d be far from gutted if he didn’t stay.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think his authority and experience in the dressing room as well as on the pitch is vital as we rebuild ( or dont , as the case may be)
I think it has been a hindrance to us the last few years. It's meant us never playing the likes of Vitinha. And if it was as big a thing as you make out, I don't think the massive collapse that just happened would have taken place.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get the anxiety for him to sign tbh.
The tempo we play at is too slow, and the reality is this guy is the conductor of the orchestra. If we had beaten Norwich, not been battered by Brighton, created some decent chances against Newcastle, dominated against Burnley i would get it.
But that is a lot of games to be a bit **** in when your contract is up for renewal.
It's not like we've missed him when he hasn't played either.
I think the anxiety comes from we all think it's João or nothing, so we desperately need him......But if it's was João or Nunes we would all see what the club was doing...yes some would still complain it leaves us a bit short but financially can we afford João and Nunes wages......the club can not offer João 2 years as the top earner....that I agree with..

I would be excited about neves , donk , Nunes , Gibbs , Cundle as the midfield options......in an ideal world with moutinho as well but it might not be possible financially......The other (If) scerniro is if we do sign Nunes , is moutinho having second thoughts about game time .

Last edited:

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I personally think he’s staying otherwise wouldn’t the club have put out a montage wishing him well like they did for Sais?

I would love to see him coaching here.
True. Either that or we are keeping him in reserve while we try to sign his replacement.

Can't do this for very long, so expect some announcement next week.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, it isn't a good thing to fill the squad with unproven players.

Are they any more unproven than players who’ve spent their lives in the Portuguese league? MGW has won an international trophy as a teenager, now an England under 21 regular and had 2 good seasons in the Championship. If we didn’t own him already he’s exactly the kind of player we’d be excited about. Sanderson and Markic have had similarly good seasons at Champ level, is that much different from the quality outside the big 3 in Portugal?

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score
I think his authority and experience in the dressing room as well as on the pitch is vital as we rebuild ( or dont , as the case may be)
I am old enough to remember what the same idea did to us in the 70s when we got relegated with Mike Bailey starting to get dog's abuse.

dennison11

Reaction score
If he is staying, you would assume that we will have a "Look who's back at Compton" tweet about it later

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I personally think he’s staying otherwise wouldn’t the club have put out a montage wishing him well like they did for Sais?

I would love to see him coaching here.

I think there's an offer there and nothing will be announced until Mouts decides one way or the other, I'm guessing he has a few options to consider

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Choice of retaining Moutinho or Neves it would be Neves. Joao is a quality player to have in squad and control tempo so would prefer to retain for a season.

For me - I’d give him a one year contract - say £100k per week, with option to Wolves of second year. If we don‘t take up the option then we pay him say £1m. This gives us protection of having him for 2 years if he is still delivering. Gives us protection of letting him go and saving £4m if he is not delivering. Gives Joao certainty of a positive contribution towards 2nd year salary if he has to go back to Portugal.

No, my middle name is not Scott or Jeff.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’ll get lynched for that mate but I agree 100%.

We need to evolve as a team and move on. If Ruben is staying thenthe question should always be about who partners him.

That said he has been great for us but I’d be far from gutted if he didn’t stay.
Shhh don't say it, but I agree as well. If he stays, fine, but we still need other options and he should not be a guaranteed starter

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Choice of retaining Moutinho or Neves it would be Neves. Joao is a quality player to have in squad and control tempo so would prefer to retain for a season.

For me - I’d give him a one year contract - say £100k per week, with option to Wolves of second year. If we don‘t take up the option then we pay him say £1m. This gives us protection of having him for 2 years if he is still delivering. Gives us protection of letting him go and saving £4m if he is not delivering. Gives Joao certainty of a positive contribution towards 2nd year salary if he has to go back to Portugal.

No, my middle name is not Scott or Jeff.
Controlling tempo. Yep and that's the problem. Our tempo is far too slow.

Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about him resigning. If we also get some legs in there then yes, if him resigning means we dont then no. That Brighton game when they tore us a new one made him look so slow.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really? I've heard the total opposite and he's agreed a move elsewhere.
I'll repeat what I said elsewhere - I've seen a short video made by someone at the club celebrating his new deal! Of course, I'm sure we did one for Scott Dann, but as of last Thursday, someone felt confident enough to do one!

If Neves is staying, he needs to sign a new deal. Can't have another Traore situation

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll repeat what I said elsewhere - I've seen a short video made by someone at the club celebrating his new deal! Of course, I'm sure we did one for Scott Dann, but as of last Thursday, someone felt confident enough to do one!

If Neves is staying, he needs to sign a new deal. Can't have another Traore situation

This was info I got yesterday, so let's see! I hope my info is wrong and yours is very much right!

Back
Top Bottom