Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By my reckoning, all of these clubs haven't signed a player so far this summer:

Bournemouth
Brentford
Chelsea
Palace
Everton
Fulham
Leicester
Man Utd
Forest
Southampton
West Ham

and us.

It's basically only Villa, and then Liverpool and City with their pre-triggered release clauses that have done anything noteworthy.

I'd argue we have more work to do than half of those sides this summer.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That means we need to bring in a couple more players, that doesn't change when the selling club and player will want to do business though.

We need more than a couple of players, in my opinion.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho should be nowhere near a regular starter next season. Shouldn't have been this season and arguably the one prior. We need mobility and presence there and have done for god knows how long now. Maybe even, dare I say, someone who averages more than 1 goal a year.

But then again, we do seemingly have a 10 year ban on signing a first team CM hanging over us that we're nearly half way through so I guess it's to be expected.

Last edited:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho should be nowhere near a regular starter next season. Shouldn't have been this season and arguably the one prior. We need mobility and presence there and have done for god knows how long now.

But then again, we do seemingly have a 10 year ban on signing a first team CM hanging over us.
i think he will happy being a bit part player next year tbh, hes 35 and settled in wolverhampton. He wanted two years i guess for stability, i dont think he will play 38 games next year

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Tell you what if they do beat us to signing him (still think we are favourites) then I'd be seriously concerned to be honest..

I'm still positive things will happen but would really like to see a bit of activity soon, we haven't seen any fringe players leave or anything yet.. All abit quiet!

I think this depends on what happens to Neves. If Neves stays, and as a result we don’t go in for Palhinha, is that so bad? If Neves goes, but in the meantime we lose Palhinha, then yes, that’s a poor outcome and we would have to ask questions of Jeff and of Mendes.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i think he will happy being a bit part player next year tbh, hes 35 and settled in wolverhampton. He wanted two years i guess for stability, i dont think he will play 38 games next year

I think as someone else pointed out, it’s a World Cup year. I suspect he would like to be a regular starter until the World Cup, but would then be more relaxed about playing a supporting / cover role afterwards.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So? If players don't want to sort out their moves until after the internationals/their holidays, then it doesn't matter if we want to make 100 signings, it's still not going to happen just yet.

What will the excuse be after internationals/ holidays, Flump? This doesnt seem to be stopping Leeds, Tottenham, Villa, making signings.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The disrespect Palhihna gets on here is absurd, Bruno wants tactical flexibility to move to a back 4 or 5 with confidence. To do so he requires a warrior to protect his defence, someone aggressive big and strong who won't lose the ball once he wins it back but will win 95% of his aerial and ground duels and force teams to go wide rather than attacking centrally.

It's a role that is constantly under-appreciated by fans because they aren't flashy goalscorers yet it is the most appreciated by their peers because it creates a safety net for every player on the pitch and breeds confidence in attackers that they have someone who will win the ball back if they make a mistake so they can take greater risks to try and score. It also breeds confidence in the defence that they have a wall infront of them that the opposition have to get around in order to get at them in a 1v1 situation meaning they can focus on runners rather than ball carriers.

None of Neves, Moutinho or Dendoncker offer us that type of player but Palhihna does and he is exceptionally good at it as well and discounting the likes of Rodri, Fabinho, Casemiro etc who are already at big Champions League teams performing the same role, Palhihna is the best out there that we could realistically sign and thanks to Mendes at a great price too.

Neves is leaving, it's blatantly obvious that he needs it for his career, we need it to finance our summer and mendes needs it to allow him to move several clients around this summer so can we stop bashing our soon to be new player.

Regarding Fulham there is no chance of that, last week they supposedly wanted Al-Musrati, this week they supposedly want Palhihna. Next week they will supposedly want a DM from Ligue 1 and so on, it's just paper talk because they pulled the trigger on saying Palhihna to Wolves too soon as they thought he would have been announced by now so they need an excuse to make it look like something has held up the deal rather than that they have no actual primary source on the deal and had just ripped palhihna to wolves off another paper in the first place.
Hear hear. He’s a top quality DM.
You know something that drives me crazy watching us? Winning a tackle or interception…and still not coming away with the ball. I know it happens a lot generally, but seemingly us more than most. Whether that’s through deficiencies in physicality, anticipation or aggression, we create and lose more second and third balls than many teams.

Go watch some Palinha. When he wins the ball, it stays won. He has the strength and decent feet to hold off multiple challenges after winning it in tight areas too.
Donk should be able to do that job, but seems to lack the conviction, aggression and bravery to do it properly.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Bruno wants the option to use his 442 from when he was at Benfica which may be reason for the supposed interest in Guedes, Minamino and Goncalo Ramos with one of them joining to fight it out with Hwang for the CF role alongside the leading striker which would be one of Raul/Seferovic/Silva.

Think Guedes was first choice but sounds like Valencia are demanding too much for him with only a year left on his contract meaning he will probably move late in the window when they fold on the price, likely being Roma. Romano says €17mil for Minamino which is roughly £14mil which is decent value for him and the one I think is most likely, he finishes international duty today so his transfer to us, Monaco, Leeds or whoever else is interested might speed up over the next week. Ramos we were linked to last summer for a similar price and when we spend big on an attacker they do tend to be from Benfica or Porto so still plausible that could have some truth in it and would be the one I was most excited by as he has far greater potential than the other two and works well with Silva already with his age not being too big of an issue with Raul being able to fulfill both leading striker and CF roles. His age actually may be beneficial to us this summer as he wouldn't require being registered as 1 of the 17 foreign players over the age of 21

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What will the excuse be after internationals/ holidays, Flump? This doesnt seem to be stopping Leeds, Tottenham, Villa, making signings.

I'm not making excuses, I'm explaining there is a reason that 12 clubs haven't made a signing yet. It's all very well to sit there saying "just get it done", but that's just ignoring the complexity.

What do you think Wolves should do if they talk to Palhinha, Nunes, or whoever else, and they say "I'm interested, but I'm having a week on the beach after my game on Sunday, let's talk next Monday"?

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As the transfer dominoes begin to fall, this will all become clearer. I’m confident good business will be done. If it isn’t, then it’s meltdown and a real struggle next season

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Bruno wants the option to use his 442 from when he was at Benfica which may be reason for the supposed interest in Guedes, Minamino and Goncalo Ramos with one of them joining to fight it out with Hwang for the CF role alongside the leading striker which would be one of Raul/Seferovic/Silva.

Think Guedes was first choice but sounds like Valencia are demanding too much for him with only a year left on his contract meaning he will probably move late in the window when they fold on the price, likely being Roma. Romano says €17mil for Minamino which is roughly £14mil which is decent value for him and the one I think is most likely, he finishes international duty today so his transfer to us, Monaco, Leeds or whoever else is interested might speed up over the next week. Ramos we were linked to last summer for a similar price and when we spend big on an attacker they do tend to be from Benfica or Porto so still plausible that could have some truth in it and would be the one I was most excited by as he has far greater potential than the other two and works well with Silva already with his age not being too big of an issue with Raul being able to fulfill both leading striker and CF roles. His age actually may be beneficial to us this summer as he wouldn't require being registered as 1 of the 17 foreign players over the age of 21

Sporting played 442 at times last season. They also played 433 and 532.

So as a midfield pairing, Palhinha and Nunes are clearly adept to the sorts of tactical flexibility Bruno has spoken about wanting to adopt.

If we sign them both, my levels of optimism will improve massively.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That would make sense but hope it's including some reduction in his reported 100k pw salary
I doubt it. If we wanted to get sombody else in, for the same cost over the length of a year or two it'll cost a lot more for similar quality. With his CV and leadership I don't think the dressing room will be a problem either

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The disrespect Palhihna gets on here is absurd, Bruno wants tactical flexibility to move to a back 4 or 5 with confidence. To do so he requires a warrior to protect his defence, someone aggressive big and strong who won't lose the ball once he wins it back but will win 95% of his aerial and ground duels and force teams to go wide rather than attacking centrally.

It's a role that is constantly under-appreciated by fans because they aren't flashy goalscorers yet it is the most appreciated by their peers because it creates a safety net for every player on the pitch and breeds confidence in attackers that they have someone who will win the ball back if they make a mistake so they can take greater risks to try and score. It also breeds confidence in the defence that they have a wall infront of them that the opposition have to get around in order to get at them in a 1v1 situation meaning they can focus on runners rather than ball carriers.

None of Neves, Moutinho or Dendoncker offer us that type of player but Palhihna does and he is exceptionally good at it as well and discounting the likes of Rodri, Fabinho, Casemiro etc who are already at big Champions League teams performing the same role, Palhihna is the best out there that we could realistically sign and thanks to Mendes at a great price too.

Neves is leaving, it's blatantly obvious that he needs it for his career, we need it to finance our summer and mendes needs it to allow him to move several clients around this summer so can we stop bashing our soon to be new player.

Regarding Fulham there is no chance of that, last week they supposedly wanted Al-Musrati, this week they supposedly want Palhihna. Next week they will supposedly want a DM from Ligue 1 and so on, it's just paper talk because they pulled the trigger on saying Palhihna to Wolves too soon as they thought he would have been announced by now so they need an excuse to make it look like something has held up the deal rather than that they have no actual primary source on the deal and had just ripped palhihna to wolves off another paper in the first place.

Good post. Do you think Donk would stay should se sign Palhinha, assuming he’s primarily there as cover for DM and CB?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sporting played 442 at times last season. They also played 433 and 532.

So as a midfield pairing, Palhinha and Nunes are clearly adept to the sorts of tactical flexibility Bruno has spoken about wanting to adopt.

If we sign them both, my levels of optimism will improve massively.
If you buy both announce em both, you have to say its a bit of a coup.

Thats a big call and signing effort.

Id be impressed and very much on the fosun bandwagon.

sporting need funds.

These are two international midfielders, ideally id hope they were getting on a plane together before their holidays haha.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you buy both announce em both, you have to say its a bit of a coup.

Thats a big call and signing effort.

Id be impressed and very much on the fosun bandwagon.

sporting need funds.

These are two international midfielders, ideally id hope they were getting on a plane together before their holidays haha.

Maybe that's why we wont move on Palhinha until Neves is sold? We could afford him, but not both him and Nunes without the Neves money.

Jeff knows the only way to stop the negativity of a Neves sale, is by announcing both Palhinha and Nunes at the same time!

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
I'm liking the word "insisting" here. If these signings happen (who can say?) it sends out such a positive message of intent and may even quiet the most negative of our fans. The less dealings we have with Barca are for the greater good too. Always liked them (prob the Catalan thing) but they are an asylum of a club.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And in that situation, you then might be annoyed if there were nonsensical comments on the internet saying "Brockmoorwolf is a right tightwad, he didn't even buy Flump a drink the other day".

You'd be banging your head on the table saying "I know, but I said he didn't have to pay me back the £10, surely that's worth more?!", but the Flump fans would just keep saying "where's Brockmoorwolf's money going, he's creaming it off, taking money away from Flump".
Welching on Molineux Mix has a bit of a chequered history. Play nicely both of you!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hear hear. He’s a top quality DM.
You know something that drives me crazy watching us? Winning a tackle or interception…and still not coming away with the ball. I know it happens a lot generally, but seemingly us more than most. Whether that’s through deficiencies in physicality, anticipation or aggression, we create and lose more second and third balls than many teams.

Go watch some Palinha. When he wins the ball, it stays won. He has the strength and decent feet to hold off multiple challenges after winning it in tight areas too.
Donk should be able to do that job, but seems to lack the conviction, aggression and bravery to do it properly.
Donk tackles like a defender in the penalty area regardless where he is on the pitch, unless it's in the semi-final of the F.A. Cup in the penalty area when he chooses to tackle like Paul Scholes.

Palinha is pretty much ready-made for the Premier League IMO

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good post. Do you think Donk would stay should se sign Palhinha, assuming he’s primarily there as cover for DM and CB?

Would we need him? That's a lot of potential value maybe sitting there not doing much!

If we had a first choice pairing like Palhinha and Nunes, with Moutinho as a rotation option, plus a high potential younger player, that should be enough unless you get unlucky with injuries (we are due a lucky season on this front).

Dendoncker has 2 years left on his deal (1 year, with a club option of another, so effectively 2!). So next season, his value starts to fall unless we give him a new deal. Has he done enough to earn a new deal?

I'd sell him now, get £15-20m and reinvest it on a couple of players with a higher ceiling.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good post, BW and certainly mirrors my view of happenings (or not) at Molineux over the last few years. For the last 3 or 4 transfer windows, I've been optimistic that we will strengthen in the right places and believed some of the hype coming out of the club. That optimism has now been knocked out of me by events rather than the hyperbole.
I don't know whether we will strengthen at all. All the talk that we have to sell to buy while other clubs are spending the TV money etc... to strengthen their squads and give their fans something to get excited about while Wolves seems to wallow.
Past transfer window disappointments have left me sceptical that the regime at Molineux has a clue how to run a football club, let alone get a decent player to 'join the project', aka sign for the club.
Time will tell whether I'm being unreasonably pessimistic, but once bitten (or even 3 times bitten), twice shy seems a fitting mantra.
Same mate. Especially that weasel sellers. Don't trust them to get it right. Hope to be proo
Would we need him? That's a lot of potential value maybe sitting there not doing much!

If we had a first choice pairing like Palhinha and Nunes, with Moutinho as a rotation option, plus a highly potential younger player, that should be enough unless you get unlucky with injuries (we are due a lucky season on this front).

Dendoncker has 2 years left on his deal (1 year, with a club option of another, so effectively 2!). So next season, his value starts to fall unless we give him a new deal. Has he done enough to earn a new deal?

I'd sell him now, get £15-20m and reinvest it on a couple of players with a higher ceiling.
Me too.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Palhinha deal seemingly being dragged out for no reason, moutinho signing an extension. I think it's obvious what's happening!

Lage saying he wants to sign someone, we all know what happens when Lage speaks during transfer windows - absolutely nothing!

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The way I see it an outlay of 60 million on Paulinha and Nunes would be a great investment, both of 4-5 year contracts would mean around 12 mil for the P&L amortisation this year and wages that won’t break the bank.

Shift Donk on and we can have those 2 and potentially Neves (as interest seems to have cooled this summer) and Mouts as well giving us 4 quality options meaning we can play a 2 or a 3 and also gives us cover for when Neves does eventually go, succession planning is important, that’s why we spent the bucks on Silva as a future replacement for Raul.

Of course the above won’t happen though, just wishful thinking on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom