Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where has he ever said that he “expects”. Prove that statement please.

I don’t know but I expect that he wants to be treated the same as everyone else with the chance to impress and not have others picked ahead of him who are not performing.
Sorry ... "according to rumours" ... Happy?

Let's see if he fancies fighting for a place.
I am betting he will not.

Laughable that a guy that has had a decent season in a poor Championship is all of a sudden our saving grace
Good lord... someone even said on here, last week , that we should build a team around him !!!

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's assume MGW decides he wants to go and we get £20m - does the academy get the money or does it go to main team building?

I am sure the academy are meant self-sufficient or at least a stand alone business. I wonder if they with get the MGW 5g pitch, or the MGW Compton training ground offices they want?

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's not true.

If MGW leaves Wolves it will be because of how he has been treated, or how he feels he's been treated, and you'd presume the contract isn't good enough to convince him to stay.

You could also question why he was just given a one-year extension before going to Sheffield United, because if it was two years then we'd have no issues now.

It has been said on several occasions that MGW was unhappy at how he was treated after the first loan and then having to go out at this summer.

So, Nuno deserves his share of the blame as well as those three mentioned if he does go!

In my opinion it would be a massive blow both in terms of us losing a good player and also what it means in terms of us not being able to keep an academy lad to what is likely to be an inferior/equal side at best (Forest, Southampton, Leeds, Palace all strongly linked).
You argue your points well, but as we both know we lack any clear evidence one way or another.

I come back to the fact that "He's one of our own" (to coin a phrase) and has been with us for virtually the whole of his footballing career. Whilst I don't expect loyalty in this business - it's a short career, which could end at the whim of an opposition defender before age takes its toll - I'm guessing MGW has some feelings for the club.

Maybe it is the recent treatment he's had, but there again we have had a few others who've been in and out of the team/been played out of their best position. They've stuck with it and got on with it.

Maybe Shi/Sellars haven't delivered the contract MGW would like. Who knows? But, given Lage seems to want him here, I would hope the terms would be fairly decent.

Perhaps you're right; perhaps (and probably) Morgan believes he deserves better treatment/more money; perhaps his partner is looking for new pastures.

Whatever the reasons I've go to say that your last paragraph sums up beautifully what I'm guessing most of us on here, myself included, think.

Reaction score
Reported that if he turns down a new deal then Forest and Southampton both want him for £25m+

It is the s*n but if we can get over £25m for him after 1 good championship season I’d take the money. Looks like its down to Morgan now though, Bruno wants him to stay and we’ve offered a contract so let’s see what he wants.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reported that if he turns down a new deal then Forest and Southampton both want him for £25m+

It is the s*n but if we can get over £25m for him after 1 good championship season I’d take the money. Looks like its down to Morgan now though, Bruno wants him to stay and we’ve offered a contract so let’s see what he wants.

Who else do we get for £25M?
Oh, yes, Trincao.
Great.
Not.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont see what else we can do. Trying to blame the previous regime on this current situation is just comical, they arent even here so if he is holding a grudge against Nuno for example it shows what a tool he is seeing as he isnt at the club anymore

We have offered him a new contract, the manager has made it clear, since January, if not before, that he wants him here. If he didnt want to stay he shouldnt have signed the extension we gave him and he should have asked for a move at the start of the season. I'm hoping he stays but if he doesnt i hope we deal with the whole situation quickly. We dont want another Traore on our hands.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I dont see what else we can do. Trying to blame the previous regime on this current situation is just comical, they arent even here so if he is holding a grudge against Nuno for example it shows what a tool he is seeing as he isnt at the club anymore

We have offered him a new contract, the manager has made it clear, since January, if not before, that he wants him here. If he didnt want to stay he shouldnt have signed the extension we gave him and he should have asked for a move at the start of the season. I'm hoping he stays but if he doesnt i hope we deal with the whole situation quickly. We dont want another Traore on our hands.
I think it's more complicated than that and impossible to really know. I'm not saying this is the truth either, but let me give the other side.

He came to pre-season last year absolutely flying, looked one of our best players whenever he was on the pitch. Then he saw that he wouldn't get picked in the starting line up and knew that at his age he needed to be playing. The club said he could go on loan, but protected his value by asking him to sign an extension. Now once again they might want him, but you can bet that's dependent on who else they get offered by Mendes. His stock is high, so once again they offer him a new contract, just because when they sell him they will get more (and therefore he will get less). He's going to assess his options and do what's best for him, nobody should be blaming him for that.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's more complicated than that and impossible to really know. I'm not saying this is the truth either, but let me give the other side.

He came to pre-season last year absolutely flying, looked one of our best players whenever he was on the pitch. Then he saw that he wouldn't get picked in the starting line up and knew that at his age he needed to be playing. The club said he could go on loan, but protected his value by asking him to sign an extension. Now once again they might want him, but you can bet that's dependent on who else they get offered by Mendes. His stock is high, so once again they offer him a new contract, just because when they sell him they will get more (and therefore he will get less). He's going to assess his options and do what's best for him, nobody should be blaming him for that.

And off the back of last season you can’t blame if he wants to be welcomed as a star signing at palace or Southampton, rather than slip back into our squad and not be pretty much certain starter

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And off the back of last season you can’t blame if he wants to be welcomed as a star signing at palace or Southampton, rather than slip back into our squad and not necessarily be pretty much certain starter

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I dont blame him, but at the same time i dont think you can blame the club either. They have done their best to get him regular football and help his development by moving him to Sheffield. Bruno has been pretty clear he wanted him to come back in January and while i dont agree that he was absolutley flying in pre season ( i dont think anyone was tbh ) he was looking better than he had done previously.Its a tough one for Bruno because he was probably still feeling out the squad, but i'm guessing MGW didnt want to be a part of being a bit part player until Bruno sorted out who was going to cut it.

Still think he would be mad to leave here, but if his head isnt in it anymore we need to move him on fairly quickly imo. Now he has an excellent chance of becoming a key player here, i'd be a bit dissapointed with him if he jumped ship seeing as he has said on numerous occasions its his dream to play for Wolves.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And off the back of last season you can’t blame if he wants to be welcomed as a star signing at palace or Southampton, rather than slip back into our squad and not be pretty much certain starter

I think he would probably have as much a chance of doing that with us as he has elsewhere, but maybe he just wants a fresh start, who knows.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And off the back of last season you can’t blame if he wants to be welcomed as a star signing at palace or Southampton, rather than slip back into our squad and not necessarily be pretty much certain starter

I think that’s fair. Although I would say I’m not sure he would be seen as a “star signing” at established PL clubs like Palace or Southampton. He would at somewhere like Forest, and perhaps even at the other two promoted clubs, given they’ve seen him in the Champ and don’t have established PL squads already. If he wants regular PL football and to feel like he’s a big fish in the squad, then I think Forest is his best bet.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think that’s fair. Although I would say I’m not sure he would be seen as a “star signing” at established PL clubs like Palace or Southampton. He would at somewhere like Forest, and perhaps even at the other two promoted clubs, given they’ve seen him in the Champ and don’t have established PL squads already. If he wants regular PL football and to feel like he’s a big fish in the squad, then I think Forest is his best bet.

If he goes to Palace or Saints for £25m then they'll be expecting to buy someone who is starting regularly.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

If I was in his shoes I'd also be questioning why the likes of Trincao and Hwang were signed and playing in my position whilst I'd been sent on loan.

Don't suppose we'll ever know the truth of it, but can well understand from his treatment why MGW might think he's better off elsewhere.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I was in his shoes I'd also be questioning why the likes of Trincao and Hwang were signed and playing in my position whilst I'd been sent on loan.

Don't suppose we'll ever know the truth of it, but can well understand from his treatment why MGW might think he's better off elsewhere.
Maybe he has asked and has got the answer similar to how we all interpreted Shi’s marketing BS.
“Sorry Morgan, but the reality is that you don’t sell shirts in Asia”.

sorry that was very cynical but I’m still a bit seething from that interview

Reaction score
I’m not writing him off but I think the hype is a bit over the top for someone who’s had 1 good season in the championship. He’s been very hot and cold when he’s played for us which admittedly can be expected when in and out of the team but from some of the stuff I’m reading it’s as if some would be more bothered losing MGW than Neves.

Guarantee if the roles were reversed and we were looking to sign him for £25m this summer all we’d hear is ‘he’s unproven’ ‘it’s way too much’ ‘paying over the odds cause he’s english’.

I

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Trincao was a very highly rated player that very few people were unhappy we signed. It just didint work out. Same with Hwang in a lot of ways, not as highly rated but i dont think anyone thought he would turn our as poor as he has. If both of those two worked out there wouldnt be an argument that we bought them in. Tbf, there would still have been room for MGW as well especially with a cloud hanging over Traore with him not signing a contract and Neto not fit.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Evidence please that MGW doesnt want to be here and evidence MGW expects a starting place?
Didn’t he request the loan move to Sheff Utd even though Bruno wanted him to stay? Best player pre-season only to be benched when season started. Regular first XI at Sheff Utd. Forest and Saints want him, according to reports, which will be regular 1st XI football if his form and injuries allow. Etc etc

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Trincao was a very highly rated player that very few people were unhappy we signed. It just didint work out. Same with Hwang in a lot of ways, not as highly rated but i dont think anyone thought he would turn our as poor as he has. If both of those two worked out there wouldnt be an argument that we bought them in. Tbf, there would still have been room for MGW as well especially with a cloud hanging over Traore with him not signing a contract and Neto not fit.
Hwang is better than Trincão, more goals and would have had 2 more assists he created with excellent play against Newcastle if the clown hadn't missed 2 sitters.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes, there's a huge amount of hindsight going on. So easy to forget, up until his injury , Hwang looked like he really could be the goalscoring alternative to Raul that we've desparately needed since Jota left. And as you say, initially, there was hardly anyone rated MGW higher than Trincao. You'd have been derided as a fool if you'd suggested we should put our effort into keeping MGW, but send Hwang and Trincao back, until around the mid-season at least.

FWIW I think MGW is potentially the best of all of our young players. You don't have to look through the goldiest gold-tinted specs to "see that he's got something" as you do with Trincao (or Fabio/Hoever/Cutrone etc) . The catch is that he's at his best in a role that doesn't suit the way we've been drilled into playing these past 5 years.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

With Traore, Hwang, Trincao, Podence and MGW plus Neto to come back that would have been 6 players for 2 positions at the start of the season. Understandable that the club wanted players like Hwang and Trincao given their reputations, but if I was in Morgan's position I'd be thinking that puts me third choice at a time when I need to play every week. Maybe he should have stayed to fight for a place but I can understand why he wanted to play regularly. If he has genuine offers from other prem clubs then I suppose it comes down to whether Lage thinks he's one of the two players competing for each forward position rather than third place backup.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, there's a huge amount of hindsight going on. So easy to forget, up until his injury , Hwang looked like he really could be the goalscoring alternative to Raul that we've desparately needed since Jota left. And as you say, initially, there was hardly anyone rated MGW higher than Trincao. You'd have been derided as a fool if you'd suggested we should put our effort into keeping MGW, but send Hwang and Trincao back, until around the mid-season at least.

FWIW I think MGW is potentially the best of all of our young players. You don't have to look through the goldiest gold-tinted specs to "see that he's got something" as you do with Trincao (or Fabio/Hoever/Cutrone etc) . The catch is that he's at his best in a role that doesn't suit the way we've been drilled into playing these past 5 years.
As always, very well said.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang is better than Trincão, more goals and would have had 2 more assists he created with excellent play against Newcastle if the clown hadn't missed 2 sitters.
Gotta disagree with this. Trincao did miss an easy chance when he hit the crossbar, but they are completely different players in terms of skill and potential, as well as age. Hwang's lack of skill etc has been discussed enough, and although Trincao needs physicality and resilience he can build these. Hwang cost us several games last season.
Anyway, if Gibbs White returns and plays like he did when he came on against Spurs a couple of seasons ago, when he completely changed the game after we were 2 down and then were unlucky to lose because of his performance, then its a no brainer and I hope he stays. I hope he gets a season competing for a starting position. I do think from reports that's down to him and whether he wants to return, similar to Traore. If a player doesn't want to be here, not much the club can do.
I'd love it if we went for Bergwijn.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gotta disagree with this. Trincao did miss an easy chance when he hit the crossbar, but they are completely different players in terms of skill and potential, as well as age. Hwang's lack of skill etc has been discussed enough, and although Trincao needs physicality and resilience he can build these. Hwang cost us several games last season.
Anyway, if Gibbs White returns and plays like he did when he came on against Spurs a couple of seasons ago, when he completely changed the game after we were 2 down and then were unlucky to lose because of his performance, then its a no brainer and I hope he stays. I hope he gets a season competing for a starting position. I do think from reports that's down to him and whether he wants to return, similar to Traore. If a player doesn't want to be here, not much the club can do.
Would spurs want to do a swap for Adama & Bergwijn??

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Traore, Hwang, Trincao, Podence and MGW plus Neto to come back that would have been 6 players for 2 positions at the start of the season. Understandable that the club wanted players like Hwang and Trincao given their reputations, but if I was in Morgan's position I'd be thinking that puts me third choice at a time when I need to play every week. Maybe he should have stayed to fight for a place but I can understand why he wanted to play regularly. If he has genuine offers from other prem clubs then I suppose it comes down to whether Lage thinks he's one of the two players competing for each forward position rather than third place backup.

I think 3rd choice at his age at a premier league club is about right for where he was in his development. I think Morgan has a bit of an advantage as well as he can play centrally and wider.

I think the loan was probably better for him, but i'd have liked to see him challenge himself and win a place in the team.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are forgetting two glaring points.

Hwang wants to be here,MGW doesn't.

Hwang is happy to fight for a starting place, MGW expects a starting place

You are forgetting two glaring points.

Hwang wants to be here,MGW doesn't.

Hwang is happy to fight for a starting place, MGW expects a starting place

I would rather have MGWs missus than Hwang in our side.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Trincao has one of the most overrated "skill-sets" I've ever seen, it isn't just physicality it is his total lack of impact on games. Just has a nice left peg and occasionally goes past a player.

The easier chance he missed that Hwang set up was the one he managed to spoon wide with his right foot from about 10 yards against Everton. Luckily Sa made a great save at the end, else he could have cost us dearly.

Which games did Hwang cost us?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trincao has one of the most overrated "skill-sets" I've ever seen, it isn't just physicality it is his total lack of impact on games. Just has a nice left peg and occasionally goes past a player.

The easier chance he missed that Hwang set up was the one he managed to spoon wide with his right foot from about 10 yards against Everton. Luckily Sa made a great save at the end, else he could have cost us dearly.

Which games did Hwang cost us?
God knows mate, he won us points with goals last season….

People neglect the fact he had no pre-season with us and had a terrible case of covid that cost him a significant chunk of the season before. We all know the long term effects covid can have. He joined not fully fit trying to ply catch up and he looked great in his first few games then he got injured and just hasn’t regained any sense of real sharpness or match fitness.

I look forward to seeing him after a full pre-season. I am very confident many on here will be eating humble pie come the end of the season over him

Back
Top Bottom