Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton’s Finances

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s reported that Burnley and Leeds want an independent investigation into Everton’s finances and whether they breached Premier League FFP rules.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Just seen this. Weren’t Leeds one of the teams who whinged to the football league about our links to Mendes?

The figures quoted in the article are shocking though and it does seem strange that Everton’s covid losses are so much higher than other similar clubs.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Just seen this. Weren’t Leeds one of the teams who whinged to the football league about our links to Mendes?

The figures quoted in the article are shocking though and it does seem strange that Everton’s covid losses are so much higher than other similar clubs.
Yes along with villa and derby

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s fair to say that it has riled Everton fans a bit….

Totally understandable, but it appears remarkable that Everton can make losses of this scale and still say they comply with the FFP rules. For me, it just supports the need for an independent regulator and independent assessment of club finances as recently announced.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does seem extremely dodgy tbh.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s fair to say that it has riled Everton fans a bit….

Totally understandable, but it appears remarkable that Everton can make losses of this scale and still say they comply with the FFP rules. For me, it just supports the need for an independent regulator and independent assessment of club finances as recently announced.

Agreed.How can they be compliant with regulations while making such huge losses. And why have Everton been allowed to continue spending large sums of money on players?

I think that Leeds United and Burnley are within their rights to question this.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Were Everton fiddling the figures? Almost certainly. Claiming £60m for Tosun in Covid write-offs? Come on...
Will the Premier League do anything? Not a chance
If the PL don't the Courts may well.... which is absolutely the last thing that football will want.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clearly it seems Everton are fiddling those figures to creep under FFP but which club wouldn't in those circumstances (though maybe not being run so horrendously in the first place would be better)?
Proving it legally may be difficult and take years though.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If the fa/premier league have done nothing so far even though accounts in since march, theres nothing they are going to do about it now.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Reminds me of that too

Don't doubt Everton are dodgy. All teams are tbh

But this is just the Leeds owner's sour grapes (again)

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another thing I can’t understand is how Everton Football Club is still trading. I have never owned a business, so I don’t know a lot about these things, but if a business ran up debts like that in any other industry they would have been bankrupt.
Debts are only a real problem if you cant service them. Ignoring what the Football authorities deem acceptable, so long as Everton and Moshiri can pay their installments its not a finance problem.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think you can write this off as simply sour grapes by Burnley and Leeds. Whether you agree with it or not FFP exists and it’s not unreasonable for any club to question whether another club is complying with it. It’s hard to see how Everton’s Covid losses are so much higher. The problem is that unless you head butt Billy Sharp the wheels of justice grind very slowly but that shouldn’t be a reason to just ignore this. I can’t help thinking that if the boot was on the other foot and little Burnley were submitting questionable accounts the PL would move Heaven and Earth to investigate if it saved Everton.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Reminds me of that too

Don't doubt Everton are dodgy. All teams are tbh

But this is just the Leeds owner's sour grapes (again)
Doesn’t help that it all comes out just after Everton guarantee safety (at Leeds/Burnley expense). Does seem very bitter in that sense.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neither were complaining (publicly) before it became apparent one of them would be being relegated. If Everton hadn’t won, would they have pushed it?

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This was always going to happen, there’s so much at stake to not be in the premier league that if you don’t comply with FFP, clubs will want you punished.

If Everton have nothing to hide, then let them do an independent review.
I agree. It sounds just like the issue Wycombe and M'boro had with Derby. Financial irregularities meant Derby stayed up.
Nothing will stop Leeds or Burnley going down, but Everton might get a points deduction next year.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy Days. Do nothing this season get rid of Dirty Leeds and deduct Everton pts for next season say about 15 would be good. One less relegation spot for others to worry about next season.

That works for me.

Truth is nothing will happen and I’m not sure it should. FFP is a bigger joke than VAR. Any business should be able to take whatever debt they like as long as it’s serviceable. FFP just stops anyone breaking into the current elite. Even Newcastle as possibly the now richest club in the world will struggle due to FFP and they could service trillions of debt.

The corner shop can’t stop Tescos incurring debt so why is football so different if it isn’t to keep the status quo.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think you can write this off as simply sour grapes by Burnley and Leeds. Whether you agree with it or not FFP exists and it’s not unreasonable for any club to question whether another club is complying with it. It’s hard to see how Everton’s Covid losses are so much higher. The problem is that unless you head butt Billy Sharp the wheels of justice grind very slowly but that shouldn’t be a reason to just ignore this. I can’t help thinking that if the boot was on the other foot and little Burnley were submitting questionable accounts the PL would move Heaven and Earth to investigate if it saved Everton.

Totally agree. As in the Derby case, it’s not a level playing field if some clubs willingly ignore the financial rules while others try hard to comply. I doubt many would question that Everton’s continued losses appear very high compared with those permitted by the PL, and that the PL have been anything but transparent in their administration of rules related to finance and owners across the league. If we have to have these rules, then it’s high time they were transparently and properly enforced. If they are not going to be enforced equitably, then get rid of them and allow football owners to do as they wish.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy Days. Do nothing this season get rid of Dirty Leeds and deduct Everton pts for next season say about 15 would be good. One less relegation spot for others to worry about next season.

That works for me.

Truth is nothing will happen and I’m not sure it should. FFP is a bigger joke than VAR. Any business should be able to take whatever debt they like as long as it’s serviceable. FFP just stops anyone breaking into the current elite. Even Newcastle as possibly the now richest club in the world will struggle due to FFP and they could service trillions of debt.

The corner shop can’t stop Tescos incurring debt so why is football so different if it isn’t to keep the status quo.

As I just said in my last post, the issue is that some clubs are trying to follow the rules, and others appear to be ignoring them. That massively affects the integrity of the game. That’s why Boro went after Derby. Either enforce them properly and transparently, or get rid of them. Exactly the same as my issue with VAR as it happens.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I just said in my last post, the issue is that some clubs are trying to follow the rules, and others appear to be ignoring them. That massively affects the integrity of the game. That’s why Boro went after Derby. Either enforce them properly and transparently, or get rid of them. Exactly the same as my issue with VAR as it happens.
My point is it’s unfair it’s even in existence . I respectfully agree with you though that whilst it is it should be enforced we just know it won’t be. If it’s a Bournemouth for instance next season it will be if it saves say an Everton. Nothing will happen to Everton as they are to established in the PL. Corrupt as **** that’s why I think footballs clubs should be able to run there OWN businesses as they see fit as long as they have means of servicing debt.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That works for me.

It's true that FFP protects the big clubs, but if we had to abide by the rules then why should Everton get away with it?

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's true that FFP protects the big clubs, but if we had to abide by the rules then why should Everton get away with it?
Don’t disagree at all. It’s obvious now if your a semi decent sized club they won’t come for you against a so called smaller club. If the rule in there though it should be enforced. My point is the rule shouldn’t be there at all.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the fa/premier league have done nothing so far even though accounts in since march, theres nothing they are going to do about it now.
They will try to ignore it. It will take a law suit to make something happen. Whoever loses out has a case. Its worth millions.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They will try to ignore it. It will take a law suit to make something happen. Whoever loses out has a case. Its worth millions.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one seems to have questioned this, but unless my maths is bad they’ve made a £372m loss over the last 3 years and reckon that £170m relates to the pandemic.

So let’s say that £170m is genuine (questionable but let’s go with it), as far as I can work out that still leaves losses over 3 years at £202m with the allowance being £105m….

So how aren’t they in breach of it anyway? Other allowable deductions aren’t going to be anywhere near £97m from what I’ve seen so why are they still not falling foul of the rules?

And why isn’t that not being questioned regardless of the ridiculous £170m covid write off?

Reaction score
Of course, Everton were one of the (big majority of) teams that voted for Leeds’ 15-point deduction in 2007. Burnley were one of the 15 clubs not in favour of that deduction.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't blame them complaining on the outside it looks like a stich up between Everton and the Premier League.Be interested how far they take it.

HowfenWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Dodgy russian (ex director) dodgy funding dodgy new stadium sponsorship & kenwright - nothing to see here LOL

Back
Top Bottom