Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know but I’m just a bit jaded at this point and some of our recent games. Even I can’t help but lose some of my usual optimism and loyalty.
The first half today reminded me of some of those games.

Me too! That first half was so absolutely standard for what we've seen definitely for over 2 years now. Even the late burst was something we saw many times. I remember hearing a stat in the Leeds game, that this league has had 5 turnarounds from 2 nil down to win 3-2 in the past 5 years - and Wolves had done 3 of them! We are a team that often starts slow then finds another gear late on.

Why we do that, I have little idea, but it seems a real part of our identity.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Team spirit has always made up a large part of our ability to win games .
Bruno needs to be careful to keep that spirit.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How long is the proverbial piece of string? There have been turgid games but also great play as well, like the last quarter today, just no consistency yet. I am hopeful though, we are more possession based now and I think next season will be a lot more fun!
I'm less convinced. I feel if we'd had Sa in nets last season, we'd have finished in a very similar position to this season. I can't see any real progress in results or performance.

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
I think 8th, if that’s where we finish is a good first season for Bruno.

My major criticism of him, is if things are not working, he seems quite ineffective in terms of making changes, 4 points gained from losing positions is pretty terrible.

I remember when it was quite usual for managers to sit in the stand for the first half. Judging by Saturday’s result, maybe he should give that a go. I think that not being in the thick of it might give him a chance to think about what needs changing a bit more.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think 8th, if that’s where we finish is a good first season for Bruno.

My major criticism of him, is if things are not working, he seems quite ineffective in terms of making changes, 4 points gained from losing positions is pretty terrible.

I remember when it was quite usual for managers to sit in the stand for the first half. Judging by Saturday’s result, maybe he should give that a go. I think that not being in the thick of it might give him a chance to think about what needs changing a bit more.
Wasn’t this also a problem at Benfica? When things weren’t going so well he didn’t know how to change it?

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn’t this also a problem at Benfica? When things weren’t going so well he didn’t know how to change it?

If so perhaps he should look to add to his backroom staff with some sort of tactical or strategy coach who perhaps could sit up in the stand and feed him their suggestions on how to alter the game as they might see a different perspective from Bruno in the dugout or see flaws in the opponents set up

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If so perhaps he should look to add to his backroom staff with some sort of tactical or strategy coach who perhaps could sit up in the stand and feed him their suggestions on how to alter the game as they might see a different perspective from Bruno in the dugout or see flaws in the opponents set up
I’m sure it’s either his brother or the actual analyst that sits high in the stands already.
There was that Twitter post from him and there for one of the goals, they made a big deal of it because it was a practiced whole pitch progression.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m sure it’s either his brother or the actual analyst that sits high in the stands already.
There was that Twitter post from him and there for one of the goals, they made a big deal of it because it was a practiced whole pitch progression.
It just makes so much sense for someone to be higher than pitch level where the view can be so limited.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not looking forward to the results of players COVID tests. Those who want us to play the kids might just get their wish!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not looking forward to the results of players COVID tests. Those who want us to play the kids might just get their wish!
Hope not.
I have a fantasy/hope that Wolves will beat or draw with Liverpool to rob them of the PL but it would be easier if we have a fully fit squad.;)

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Time after time City went through our defence as if we were a Butlins team.
I doubt Bruno can lead us within sight of the promised land, let alone get there.

In fairness, it’s his first PL season and we could do with some new players but I still doubt him.

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've always been very pro Bruno since he arrived, I still am to an extent and really want him to succeed.

For Bruno to succeed, there needs to be a total overhaul of the squad - which Fosun just won't do.

So is it right to stick with Bruno, or to turn to another manager who can squeeze every inch out of what he has?

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno had rug pulled from under him over transfer policy.
Bruno has rug pulled from under him for same thing. Particularly the release of Traore. Who has heard of such a ridiculous thing?

Question is - who is pulling the rug?
It’s that person that needs to go

Wolves4Life85

Groupie
Reaction score
Nuno had rug pulled from under him over transfer policy.
Bruno has rug pulled from under him for same thing. Particularly the release of Traore. Who has heard of such a ridiculous thing?

Question is - who is pulling the rug?
It’s that person that needs to go
Sending Traore and MGW back out on loan was shocking considering our team was wafer thin. This Sellers guy needs to go though.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tactical genius this guy, give him the money.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not really bothered if he stays or goes, which is a verdict in itself.

He has been terribly served by the football legends in their own lunchtime Shi and Sellars in both transfer windows, but he has only fleetingly managed to create a well set-up side that looks ready to really fight for points, which his predecessor delivered for 3 seasons in a row. Much of the points tally improvement this year comes from a much better keeper, rather than better management, in my opinion.

Certainly if the aim of bringing him in was to improve the attractiveness of the club with plenty more goals than last season and Silva making the big breakthrough, then his appointment has been an outright flop.

The issue for me is really who would we get in if he went and I don't have much faith that we would have any logical plan other than to ask Mendes for his next client, which from a run of Zenga, Nuno and Lage seems decidedly hit and miss.

Last edited:

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would love to know what his tactics were tonight and game plan as it just looked like a group of players running around and hoping for the best. No style of play and no identity. I get we played a great side but we looked like a plucky league one side tonight. Top it off be brings on Hwang again over Fabio. Need a win on Sunday Bruno.

Nige

Reaction score
Sending Traore and MGW back out on loan was shocking considering our team was wafer thin. This Sellers guy needs to go though.
Traore wanted to leave and was out of contract... MGW always impressed in the Championship.. That's his Level Lets hope Sheff Utd come up and we could get good money for him

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I totally respect the opinions of those that say stick by Bruno and back him but serious question to you all, how long into next season would our current form and poor, at times totally unorganised performances, have to continue, before you think your mindset might change?
What really narks me with him at the minute is that he sees exactly what the rest of us see and yet he continually seems to see Hwang as the solution!
Can't get my head around that!

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Traore wanted to leave and was out of contract... MGW always impressed in the Championship.. That's his Level Lets hope Sheff Utd come up and we could get good money for him
Traore has another year on his contract

geowolf

Reaction score
Would love to know what his tactics were tonight and game plan as it just looked like a group of players running around and hoping for the best. No style of play and no identity. I get we played a great side but we looked like a plucky league one side tonight. Top it off be brings on Hwang again over Fabio. Need a win on Sunday Bruno.
Agree with that except for the plucky bit. Did we do any fouls tonight - doubt it because we couldn't get anywhere near them. Management disgrace.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He needs to show us his plans tactically for next season in the next game
If it turns out to be a struggle with the same old then we've got yo change

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I totally respect the opinions of those that say stick by Bruno and back him but serious question to you all, how long into next season would our current form and poor, at times totally unorganised performances, have to continue, before you think your mindset might change?
What really narks me with him at the minute is that he sees exactly what the rest of us see and yet he continually seems to see Hwang as the solution!
Can't get my head around that!
Is he under instruction to play him? It was hoped Bruno's appointment would really kick start Fabio's career but, like the rest of the team, it's somewhat drifting into obscurity.

We haven't changed our style of play much, if at all, apart from those first few games of the season. Still rely on Raul being mostly fed scraps. Still rely on WBs as our main attacking threat. Still rely on the Moutinho/Neves midfield combination. Still mostly rely on Coady/Boly at the back although Kilman has stepped up well this season.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Took me longer than most to warm to him. I think he's done well but a big downturn in form is concerning

The big problem for me - and I agree very much with @JOSWolf here - is that I genuinely don't know what type of team we are. We seem to lack any sort of identity at the moment.

Should he go? Dunno. What's the point? We haven't backed him. If the management don't feel he's worth backing, probably yes.

The team tonight was 9/11 Nuno's team, with the only new blood being a replacement goalie and a debutant RWB because Semedo is injured.

It's hardly fair to blame Bruno for our not having changed our identity when we have changed nothing about our identity!

I will always think we made a huge mistake sacking Nuno. He and Wolves were perfect together and the board pulled the trigger too soon. I don't have that affinity with Lage yet but I would say he'd be poorly treated if he gets sacked after improving the fortunes of virtually the same team

But you're only as good as your last result and we haven't won for a while .

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strange thing is with Bruno, he's been here a full season, we're 8th, but if he got the chop tomorrow I don't think more than 5% of Wolves fans would care or bat an eyelid.
Yeah ....it's really odd. I suppose it's testament to how exciting football captivates fans

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is he under instruction to play him? It was hoped Bruno's appointment would really kick start Fabio's career but, like the rest of the team, it's somewhat drifting into obscurity.

We haven't changed our style of play much, if at all, apart from those first few games of the season. Still rely on Raul being mostly fed scraps. Still rely on WBs as our main attacking threat. Still rely on the Moutinho/Neves midfield combination. Still mostly rely on Coady/Boly at the back although Kilman has stepped up well this season.
I'd actually started thinking along those lines myself mate.
If so, it's frankly a disgrace!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s be honest, have we had a settled starting 11 this season?

We have had numerous injuries throughout the season which has affected any consistency in performances.

Look at tonight. Without 3 probable starting defenders in Semedo, Kilman and Saiss.

Jonny and Neto back after serious injuries as well.

Any manager would struggle with that and a wafer thin squad.

This thread topic should be about FOSUN. Not Bruno!

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Took me longer than most to warm to him. I think he's done well but a big downturn in form is concerning

The big problem for me - and I agree very much with @JOSWolf here - is that I genuinely don't know what type of team we are. We seem to lack any sort of identity at the moment.

Should he go? Dunno. What's the point? We haven't backed him. If the management don't feel he's worth backing, probably yes.

The team tonight was 9/11 Nuno's team, with the only new blood being a replacement goalie and a debutant RWB because Semedo is injured.

It's hardly fair to blame Bruno for our not having changed our identity when we have changed nothing about our identity!

I will always think we made a huge mistake sacking Nuno. He and Wolves were perfect together and the board pulled the trigger too soon. I don't have that affinity with Lage yet but I would say he'd be poorly treated if he gets sacked after improving the fortunes of virtually the same team

But you're only as good as your last result and we haven't won for a while .
I think Nuno wanted to go. His whole demeanour his last season was poor. He looked fed up, tired and in need of a break. Well, a break from Wolves that is because he turned up at Spurs not long after. But, like Wolves in his last season, Nuno ball sucked the life out of the Spurs team.

T

TheConcourse

People might roll their eyes, but we lost so much more than a Head Coach when we pulled the trigger on Nuno.

We lost our identity.

For all of the comments from Sellars about not bankrupting the club just to sign a couple of players, he’s about to learn a harsh lesson in trying to strengthen from a position of weakness.

A few bad signings and we’re in a world of pain with average players on huge contracts. That doesn’t end well.

Not having a proper DoF has killed the project. It’s going to be very expensive to try and create a new version of the culture under a manager that Jeff trusts. They should have fixed the issue with Nuno.

Last edited by a moderator:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah ....it's really odd. I suppose it's testament to how exciting football captivates fans

Ask Leeds fans? Still captivated? When you are in that relegation struggle, nobody cares about exciting football, just the points. Football fans as a generalisation have very short memories. And there's a few who don't have insight into what we really want. Yeah, I know from my own experience! "The grass is always greener", "it's never enough".

Watched some of the Burnley 0 City 2 match the other week. Burnley camped in their half in "hold on and snatch miracle" mode, not that different to how we used to play. Fairly sure if we replicated that tonight, there would be loads of messages about how pathetic we were and that "I don't care if we concede 5 if we just had a go at them". Well, we had a go tonight, leaving gaps all over the pitch that City exploited. We created chances, got a goal, should have had a penalty....but lost 5-1. Whatever we did, the only way you'd have everybody happy would be to win, wouldn't matter how ugly.

Back
Top Bottom