Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Newcastle verdict

CologneWolf

Reaction score
It's up there with pretty much all of those. The only one I'll give you is the Burnley 0-4 where we were a defensive shambles as well.

So no, I don't really get your point..
It isn’t. That’s called recency bias. It was dirt but we’ve been far worse too many more times to call it one of the worst performances in the fosun era.

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From seeing the line-up I knew it would be a repeat of the West Ham farce. And much like that day, we simply gift-wrapped 3 points for a very limited opponent. I would have liked to have thought that Lage would have learned some lessons from that day, but he just did the same trick again.

The amount of average players we have brought to the club in the last 2 years is really concerning, particularly as more of the crop of 2018 will probably depart in the summer.

Unlike the last Friday night fiasco, I'd decided from seeing the line-up that I wouldn't let the game ruin my weekend. I am firmly resigned no European football now, which is actually a shame as we did have periods this year where it seemed quite feasible, but the tendency to always fail to make the leap as a club, management board, team and coach is becoming somewhat predictable.
Spot on.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The awful decision to not call Morgan Gibbs-White back also deserves a mention.

Would've started, miles better than Cundle even in CM.

It was stated he was asked if he would like to return as Lage wanted him, but preferred to stay there and that wish was respected.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was stated he was asked if he would like to return as Lage wanted him, but preferred to stay there and that wish was respected.
Yep, it shouldn't have been respected.

He should be involved in our team. He's better than Trincao. He's better than Hwang. We let Traore go.

He should be competing with Podence & Neto for a starting AM spot and then he'd be cover in central midfield as he's better than Cundle from what I've seen.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He should be involved in our team. He's better than Trincao. He's better than Hwang. We let Traore go.

He should be competing with Podence & Neto for a starting AM spot and then he'd be cover in central midfield as he's better than Cundle from what I've seen.

I understand your point but I will disagree. If MGW wanted to stay, then no telling what player we’d have if he forced him back against his wishes. Worse, it might also affect morale amongst others in the squad. It would be different if we didn’t have enough forwards already, and the argument were made to him and the squad that we’re desperate for experience. We weren’t desperate. I think it’s a moot point whether MGW (fit and motivated) is better than Hwang or Trincao, but that’s really a decision for the summer not January.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Awful. Awful. Awful.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I disagree. It should've been respected, as it rightly was. What I'd love to see now though is seeing us making a place for this wonderkid, rather than benching the lad every time one of his flicks goes astray. The lad's magic (I live in Sheffield and they'd do anything to keep him) but he's still nowhere near the finished article. If / when he returns, let's back him.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand your point but I will disagree. If MGW wanted to stay, then no telling what player we’d have if he forced him back against his wishes. Worse, it might also affect morale amongst others in the squad. It would be different if we didn’t have enough forwards already, and the argument were made to him and the squad that we’re desperate for experience. We weren’t desperate. I think it’s a moot point whether MGW (fit and motivated) is better than Hwang or Trincao, but that’s really a decision for the summer not January.
I get your point to an extent but in my opinion the conversation to MGW should've been that he's coming back to play with us.

He would obviously not want to come back to sit on the bench, so that's why he turned it down.

I presume if he was told he was going to come back and play he'd jump at the chance. We should've known by January that MGW is better than what we've got, which he is.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Woeful. Bottled a good chance to kick on again with a totally baffling team selection by Lage. Boly and Fabio the only 2 who should get any credit.
I think it's unfair to say we bottled anything.

A poor team were beaten by an average team.

Cundle doesn't get near any Premier League CM. Silva, who I agree played okay, doesn't get near many Premier League starting CF spots. Trincao and Hwang when they play like this it's a similar story.

We didn't bottle anything, that team is just not any good.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
It isn’t. That’s called recency bias. It was dirt but we’ve been far worse too many more times to call it one of the worst performances in the fosun era.
I'm still not really sure what point you're trying to make. It certainly wasn't amongst the best was it? It wasn't even particularly close to mediocre. How far down your crapometer scale are we allowed to go before we're allowed to say it's up with the worst. Let's go with 5%. It was amongst the worst 5% of performances of the Fosun era.
By my reckoning you've got to name around 15 matches where we were ****ter than that. I'll set the parameters seeing as I made the comment.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get your point to an extent but in my opinion the conversation to MGW should've been that he's coming back to play with us.

He would obviously not want to come back to sit on the bench, so that's why he turned it down.

I presume if he was told he was going to come back and play he'd jump at the chance. We should've known by January that MGW is better than what we've got, which he is.

It was reported we wanted him back to play, because Lage thought he could compete for a place in the team. I haven’t seen anyone say he was being asked to return only to provide cover and sit on the bench.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's unfair to say we bottled anything.

A poor team were beaten by an average team.

Cundle doesn't get near any Premier League CM. Silva, who I agree played okay, doesn't get near many Premier League starting CF spots. Trincao and Hwang when they play like this it's a similar story.

We didn't bottle anything, that team is just not any good.

Every we time we have the chance to get close, we blow it. Bottling it, choking, call it what you want. If it was Spurs everyone would be saying they were choking. We arent a poor team, we just got it wrong tonight but its what we have done every time we have got in touching distance.

In defence of Bruno, he cant do much when he loses 2 out of the 3 midfielders he has, thats down to the club being short sighted.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every we time we have the chance to get close, we blow it. Bottling it, choking, call it what you want. If it was Spurs everyone would be saying they were choking. We arent a poor team, we just got it wrong tonight but its what we have done every time we have got in touching distance.

In defence of Bruno, he cant do much when he loses 2 out of the 3 midfielders he has, thats down to the club being short sighted.
I kind of agree in general.

Tonight though, I think a poor team is exactly what we are.

That team was awful and they lost 1-0 away to Newcastle. It wasn't a surprise when I saw the XI. They started as odds-on favourites so I'm reluctant to question the character of these players.

I agree entirely it's about the club being short sighted.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
I'm still not really sure what point you're trying to make. It certainly wasn't amongst the best was it? It wasn't even particularly close to mediocre. How far down your crapometer scale are we allowed to go before we're allowed to say it's up with the worst. Let's go with 5%. It was amongst the worst 5% of performances of the Fosun era.
By my reckoning you've got to name around 15 matches where we were ****ter than that. I'll set the parameters seeing as I made the comment.
“One of the worst performances of the fosun era” is maybe an overstatement is my point. People just bandy the phrase about after any bad loss because emotions are high. It’s not strictly true but it is a terrible performance nonetheless that is fresh in their mind and they don’t care to cast their minds back to actually consider if it was “one of the worst”.

One I did not mention also from this season was arsenal away. So that’s 6 league and one cup from this season alone without searching through results. Plus Burnley last season and the 2 huddersfield results leaves us at 10. So discounting this season, from 5 seasons(minus 3 games I’ve already accounted for) I would have to find 5 times we played worse than tonight. I like my chances.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** else was he meant to do?

The header he missed in the second half. Any top striker scores that. Maybe somebody knows whether "jumping" can be coached in a 20 year old? He's 6 foot 2 but barely gets off the ground. It's a vital part of a strikers game totally lacking at the moment, unless he can compensate for it in other areas, going to be a big limitation.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“One of the worst performances of the fosun era” is maybe an overstatement is my point. People just bandy the phrase about after any bad loss because emotions are high. It’s not strictly true but it is a terrible performance nonetheless that is fresh in their mind and they don’t care to cast their minds back to actually consider if it was “one of the worst”.

One I did not mention also from this season was arsenal away. So that’s 6 league and one cup from this season alone without searching through results. Plus Burnley last season and the 2 huddersfield results leaves us at 10. So discounting this season, from 5 seasons(minus 3 games I’ve already accounted for) I would have to find 5 times we played worse than tonight. I like my chances.

Crystal Palace 0-2 defeat at home in the first PL season was far worse than tonight, add that one in. A 0-2 defeat to Burnley too, remember that being abysmal. Both Palace matches this season, worse. Newcastle only won with a penalty, they hardly dominated.

Have we ever missed more key players for a match than tonight? Given that, there's no shortage of performances as poor. I'd rate the recent 0-1 home defeat to Arsenal as bad, given we did nothing for 70 minutes, then hardly anything against 10 men for the rest.

Tonight was not good, but no way exceptionally bad. We've seen far worse, then bounced back to win the next 3 in a row before.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still more than Hwang and Trincao can do combined

There's a huge problem when none of your front 3 can head the ball. And Podence is no better. I hate sounding like being stuck in the 1970's and we are all aware of the controversy around heading in general. But it's a vital part of strikers game. Take the headers off Rauls tally, or Kane, Lewandoski, Ronaldo, even Vardy (though less so because at peak, his pace and finishing was way ahead of the 4 of our forwards in comparison), and you have at best,10 goal a season strikers. Let alone the assists and problems to defenses caused by actually having an aerial presence.

Shocking to say, I've seen Keiffer Moore score far more difficult headers than those Fabio (and the rest) regularly gets nowhere near. :oops:

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The header he missed in the second half. Any top striker scores that.
It was a poor header, but a very difficult chance. The angle wasn't great and the ball wasn't quite right. I think a lot of young strikers struggle in the air anyway: it's hard to coordinate everything to the degree required when your body's changing so much.

Even if he doesn't get better there's still hope: only 2 of Robbie Keane's 126 Premier League goals were headers (though the second Wolves goal I ever saw was a Keane header...).

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We lost today before a ball got kicked, unfortunately.

We do not have the squad to compete. It is as simple as that really.

Fosun. FOSUN. ****ING FOSUN. You have known this for about 5 transfer windows lads. Get it now?

When Chem Campbell came on (do not begrudge him his massive moment btw) i felt like i should have been watching an u23 game at Compton. As it was, this was a chance to put ourselves in with a shot of the top 6. It should not have been him coming off the bench to make a difference.

Dress it up as much as you want, Fosun have let Nuno and now Bruno down.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a poor header, but a very difficult chance. The angle wasn't great and the ball wasn't quite right. I think a lot of young strikers struggle in the air anyway: it's hard to coordinate everything to the degree required when your body's changing so much.

Even if he doesn't get better there's still hope: only 2 of Robbie Keane's 126 Premier League goals were headers (though the second Wolves goal I ever saw was a Keane header...).
There's hope, yes! Though having been lucky enough to see some of Robbie Keane's very early performances when he must have been around 17, he was already a far better footballer than Fabio. Fairer comparison with Neto, I think, someone who was always going to the top, stood out in every match he played. Fabio? Could end up a 10 goal a season striker, maybe? Not sure what league, though.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Crystal Palace 0-2 defeat at home in the first PL season was far worse than tonight, add that one in. A 0-2 defeat to Burnley too, remember that being abysmal. Both Palace matches this season, worse. Newcastle only won with a penalty, they hardly dominated.

Have we ever missed more key players for a match than tonight? Given that, there's no shortage of performances as poor. I'd rate the recent 0-1 home defeat to Arsenal as bad, given we did nothing for 70 minutes, then hardly anything against 10 men for the rest.

Tonight was not good, but no way exceptionally bad. We've seen far worse, then bounced back to win the next 3 in a row before.
And now that you mention it we were woeful at Selhurst Park but for Jota saving our blushes in stoppage time to draw 1-1. I vaguely recall being badly beaten by Watford 2-0 also. Capoue and Doucore skinned us alive that day.

This is all going on my list of all time sihthouse performances to bring up in a few weeks after we drop points to Burnley and Norwich again.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just like west ham, the team selection was all wrong. Huang is ok around the area and useless as a wide forward. He doesn't mesh with the team at all. Trincao was back to normal but it's not his fault he wasn't subbed - which cost us the game. The guy cannot play two halves which we all know except bruno. Silva missed a header, had a good shot, and had no help whatsoever, just like Jimenez.

We had two better wide forwards on the bench (if not 3) so we start with the two we know just do not work together, esp away. Compound that with marcal, who had acres of space and did nothing with it. We were just so defensive.

This is on lage because we threw the game away before kicking a ball, compounded by subs which were far too late.

Sa does need to rethink rushing out when strikers are already struggling tho - 3x this season.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The header he missed in the second half. Any top striker scores that. Maybe somebody knows whether "jumping" can be coached in a 20 year old? He's 6 foot 2 but barely gets off the ground. It's a vital part of a strikers game totally lacking at the moment, unless he can compensate for it in other areas, going to be a big limitation.
Think all front 3 were about equally poor overall (although some blame has to go to the service) but as an isolated incident the Silva header did remind me of Lukaku and Kane misses I’ve seen recently. So not a ‘tap in’ but the issue is more that in the total number of times he’s played for us he’s not looked like scoring from a header.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

There's a huge problem when none of your front 3 can head the ball. And Podence is no better. I hate sounding like being stuck in the 1970's and we are all aware of the controversy around heading in general. But it's a vital part of strikers game. Take the headers off Rauls tally, or Kane, Lewandoski, Ronaldo, even Vardy (though less so because at peak, his pace and finishing was way ahead of the 4 of our forwards in comparison), and you have at best,10 goal a season strikers. Let alone the assists and problems to defenses caused by actually having an aerial presence.

Shocking to say, I've seen Keiffer Moore score far more difficult headers than those Fabio (and the rest) regularly gets nowhere near. :oops:
You think Lewandowski, Kane, Ronaldo score 30 headers a season? Ronaldo who by far and away leads has 66 headers out of 400+ goals in last 10 years. Lewandowski 48 goals out of 300+
When you look at the list the most prolific with their heads as a proportion of goals seem to be kind of meh players.

10 goals a season without headers ahaha. What a load of absolute drivel.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw the team, rolled my eyes, whacked another couple of beers down, stood and watched the inevitable defeat, went for a few more, eat a kebab and just got back to the hotel.
The squad is **** weak, this is on the owners and the lack of investment.

Rugrats

Reaction score
Sa 5
Awful decison to come for the pen. Didn't really have much else to do other than, some of his kicking was dire as well.

Jonny 6
Did ok, ASM did him a few times but always going to and got forward a couple of times.

Kilman 5
Stinker, saved by VAR after goal ruled out and let guys run off him constantly. Looks much better on the right.

Coady 5
Distribution very poor, beat in the air a lot.

Boly 7
Best of the CBs, didn't do much wrong

Marcal 7
Played well, good defensively and put in a brilliant cross that Fabio should have scored.

Moutinho 5
Bossed by Bruno G, rarely passed forwards and dribbled past with ease.

Cundle 5
First half was brutal, as bad as it gets but 2nd half he was ok. Had a big chance to slip Fabio in at the end. Looked better closer to their goal.

Hwang 4
Couple of runs 2nd half were good, but aside from that dire

Fabio 5
Great pass, and a couple of excellent runs. Did ok outside of the box but missed a sitter.

Trincão 3
Disgraceful. Hides constantly, slows down counter attacks because he is glacially slow. Gave the ball away. Was as bad as it gets and not for the first time.

Neto looked sharp when he came on, if he is on at HT we win I think.

Lage didn't really have much choice with the starters (although Jeff tied his hands with midfield) but the lack of subs was inexcusable. Horrific.

Shameful display. To create that little against that Newcastle side is shocking.

If they recruit more players like Bruno then they will be a force though. Absolutely dominated us
Ridiculous Sa comment - of course he had to come - however VAR should have spotted that Wood blatantly cheated by his unnatural reaction leaving his feet under the keeper purely so he could go **** over tit. It's blatant cheating but even idiots like Shearer claim he was 'entitled to do it'.

and I'm not bias, Podence is one of the worst in the game I've seen this season, it needs stamping out with VAR getting tougher and some retrospective red cards !

I'm sick to death of the sheer amount of cheating in football now and the kids in schools will be picking all that up as the norm !

Rugrats

Reaction score
Everything that's been wrong with us this season stretched out over a full 90 minutes. Players and manager equally poor.

If Bruno is constantly analysing videos perhaps it's time he looked at some videos of his subs, which generally come way too late... As a team and manager we need to be more attacking and take our game to the opposition, rather than just sitting back and waiting.
and without goal scorers if we attack, who's going to do the finishing ?

Summer needs to be a very successful transfer window else the Newcastle Wolves season this season will be reversed next! That team tonight has zero chance of surviving a premiership season.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Alright how does he bring anyone into play when no around him is making forward runs

What a cringe agenda to have against a 19 year old
That 19 year old is a grown ass man. Does the opposition take it easy on him because of is age?

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't get to see the whole game. But the bit I did see was fairly rubbish. But the simple fact is you can't take players of the quality of Jiminez, Neves, Donk, Adama, Semedo, Neto, and RAN out of a team like ours - because what we are left with is bang average to say the least.

Clearly Neto and RAN are not fit enough for a whole game yet but we have said it before we have a paper thin squad - especially in the middle and up front.

Very poor game and a very bad day in the office. They have to strengthen that squad in the summer and Cundle and Campbell need a good season in the championship.

Last edited:

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could see Lage waving his arms about all game, for what, I haven't got a clue as it made no difference on the pitch. Maybe he needs more help on the side-lines as once again he makes no changes until they have scored which I couldn't understand.

Back
Top Bottom