Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Scott Sellars Interview

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he would have accepted that barcalona didn’t want him enough to make it an obligation to buy, and move on with his career by propelling wolves into Europe.

We aren’t a charity that provide paths to top clubs for players. We are a football club who apparently have aspirations to be one of the best in the world .

Although - it seems we are now actually the former.
I don’t think he would have at all, he’s been vocal about it being “his” club and then turning down the loan would have undoubtedly left a bitter taste in his mouth. I don’t think there was anything charitable about it in the slightest, they were/are trying to maximise the fee on a player who does not want to be here anymore.

My personal opinion is it’s just flexing from Barcelona and he’ll sign for them in the summer. Their president has said they like him but can’t afford the fee so all this about Raphina at £75 million is obviously nonsense and a complete non starter. Dembele will go, Traore will sign and we’ll all just move on. The move will undoubtedly involve player trading over physical money. Trincao showed against Leeds he’s got it in his locker, he has two months to prove that now.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if we will get any max killmans next season, hopefully a few of the younger signings really pay off next season or academy products have breakthrough seasons at the club.

Chiquinho
fabio silva
toti gomes
Luke cundle
Hoever
mosquera
Campbell
bueno
Marques
Perry
ryan giles
sanderson
mgw

and any others I haven’t mentioned. Could be some gems there hopefully get a chance next season or this season for some.

I think MGW will come back into the squad and they will send Cundle out on loan to the championship, I also think Hoever has blotted his copybook and will be replaced in the squad with Bolla - I have watch loads of clips of him and he looks 10 times the player that Hoever is. He reminds me of a faster version of Doherty in the way he passed and moves. He carries the ball well. He is now a full Hungarian international.

I think the summer will pan out something like this;

First Team Squad
MGW
Fabio Silva
Chiquinho
Gomes
Bolla
Giles

Sold
Sanderson
Ronan
Jordao

Loan
Cundle
Mosquera
Hoever (or sold if anyone would have him)
Campbell
Perry
Marques
Bueno
Roberts
Corbeanu

Out of those I expect to be sent on loan there is only Cundle, Mosquera, Corbeanu, and possible Roberts who may have a future in the premier league.

I have never got the hype about Marques. Campbell has talent but I don't think he has the fight. Perry looks like he is going to have a good football league career in the same way Elliot Watt is a top midfielder in league two and may eventually make his way up the leagues.

Sanderson has potential in the championship but the bit I have seen of him playing for QPR he is not at premier league standard, so I could see him sold as we have Gomes and Mosquera above him and longer term I have always rated Lonwijk far more than either Sanderson or Marques.

Corbeanu needs another loan higher up the league, and if he has the right attitude he is another who may develop into a premier league player in a few years.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think MGW will come back into the squad and they will send Cundle out on loan to the championship, I also think Hoever has blotted his copybook and will be replaced in the squad with Bolla - I have watch loads of clips of him and he looks 10 times the player that Hoever is. He reminds me of a faster version of Doherty in the way he passed and moves. He carries the ball well. He is now a full Hungarian international.

I think the summer will pan out something like this;

First Team Squad
MGW
Fabio Silva
Chiquinho
Gomes
Bolla
Giles

Sold
Sanderson
Ronan
Jordao

Loan
Cundle
Mosquera
Hoever (or sold if anyone would have him)
Campbell
Perry
Marques
Bueno
Roberts
Corbeanu

Out of those I expect to be sent on loan there is only Cundle, Mosquera, Corbeanu, and possible Roberts who may have a future in the premier league.

I have never got the hype about Marques. Campbell has talent but I don't think he has the fight. Perry looks like he is going to have a good football league career in the same way Elliot Watt is a top midfielder in league two and may eventually make his way up the leagues.

Sanderson has potential in the championship but the bit I have seen of him playing for QPR he is not at premier league standard, so I could see him sold as we have Gomes and Mosquera above him and longer term I have always rated Lonwijk far more than either Sanderson or Marques.

Corbeanu needs another loan higher up the league, and if he has the right attitude he is another who may develop into a premier league player in a few years.
I believe Marques is out of contract in the summer. I’ve always liked him on the ball not sure he has the physicality to do it in England though, I really rate Lonwijk however.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yet he has a degree in the latter but not the former, go figure.

Maybe you should just accept someone having a differing opinion to you, instead of waffling your condescending claptrap as usual to anyone you don't agree with. If you think Scott Sellars is fit for purpose, good for you. I happen to think he isn't. You 'go figure'.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe you should just accept someone having a differing opinion to you, instead of waffling your condescending claptrap as usual to anyone you don't agree with. If you think Scott Sellars is fit for purpose, good for you. I happen to think he isn't. You 'go figure'.
Merely pointing out he has a degree in sports directorship after you said he was a jumped up PE teacher. You’re opinion is based on what you think, his degree is based on what he knows.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Merely pointing out he has a degree in sports directorship after you said he was a jumped up PE teacher. You’re opinion is based on what you think, his degree is based on what he knows.

'Go figure'.

Yep, just merely pointing something out. More like an attempt to shut down any debate as usual :rolleyes:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
'Go figure'.

Yep, just merely pointing something out. More like an attempt to shut down any debate as usual :rolleyes:
Gotcha, so calling him a jumped up PE teacher was opening up the debate. As many others have pointed out you can only judge a head of recruitment on the funds available. I think Stevie Wonder can see that the financial tap has been turned off for several windows.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
You have to remember that we lost the last game we played, so even though we're 8th, we're terrible; Shi is terrible; Sellars is terrible; Wolfie is terrible; and Lage and Neves are going to leave.
This is so true.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you were Nuno or Bruno or any top 10 Premier league manager would you want Scott Sellars to have a veto on your decisions ?

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you were Nuno or Bruno or any top 10 Premier league manager would you want Scott Sellars to have a veto on your decisions ?

It is always the case that the manager has to convince the DoF/Chairman/The Club that a signing is a good idea. There is absolutely nothing unique about the structure Wolves have.

In real life, clubs don't work like on Football Manager, where the manager thinks of a player and decides to put an offer in, it is always done in conjunction with the scouting department and DoF, with input from the manager.

Would you be happy for Julian Ward, Marina Granovskaia or John Murtough to have a veto on your decisions?

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When I ask Scarlett Johansson and Taylor Swift round to cannock towers for a night of hide the sausage will it be Mrs Cannock's fault when she explains it's not a good idea?
Coz at that point, you’d really care about Mrs Cannock’s sobering point of view. :tearsofjoy:

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A cautious approach this last transfer window has probably cost us 4th place, and a huge increase in revenue and profile.

Southampton and Leicester have been the two clubs closest to the breakthrough. Leicester are the better model, Southampton the more likely judging by these remarks.
Like, we really had a chance at 4th.
Oh my days :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why not? This is the 21st Century and EPL football is big business. It is not Roy of the Rovers or Football Manager. Modern football is as much of a team game off the pitch as on it. To reverse your question - If you were Jeff Shi, or any Premier League Chief Executive, would you want a team coach, no matter how good you might think he is, have total control of your club's player budget?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have to remember that we lost the last game we played, so even though we're 8th, we're terrible; Shi is terrible; Sellars is terrible; Wolfie is terrible; and Lage and Neves are going to leave.
That's the truth, even when it comes to the latter, I do trust them to find his replacement in the summer.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is always the case that the manager has to convince the DoF/Chairman/The Club that a signing is a good idea. There is absolutely nothing unique about the structure Wolves have.

In real life, clubs don't work like on Football Manager, where the manager thinks of a player and decides to put an offer in, it is always done in conjunction with the scouting department and DoF, with input from the manager.

Would you be happy for Julian Ward, Marina Granovskaia or John Murtough to have a veto on your decisions?
I didn’t ask about the position just the individual holding that position .

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why not? This is the 21st Century and EPL football is big business. It is not Roy of the Rovers or Football Manager. Modern football is as much of a team game off the pitch as on it. To reverse your question - If you were Jeff Shi, or any Premier League Chief Executive, would you want a team coach, no matter how good you might think he is, have total control of your club's player budget?
You are right but I asked about Scott Sellars and Nuno and Bruno . Not the need to ask some other DOF . It’s not the structure it’s the people holding the positions .

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are right but I asked about Scott Sellars and Nuno and Bruno . Not the need to ask some other DOF .
Well it's hard to judge the merits of an individual from the outside, but I would argue that the collective nature of those decisions is some protection from any one of them being seriously incompetent and there is very little evidence in my opinion that the overall results of the football, or business, management has been poor - though I accept you may disagree with that view.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

How does that qualification help in his role? I don't really care about qualifications but I'd like to know how relevant it is as you seem to think it's massively important. You can get a degree in gender studies but it means **** all at the end of the day

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How does that qualification help in his role? I don't really care about qualifications but I'd like to know how relevant it is as you seem to think it's massively important. You can get a degree in gender studies but it means **** all at the end of the day

A degree in gender studies would probably be very useful if you're planning on becoming a Director of Gender Studies though.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t ask about the position just the individual holding that position .
What have you seen to suggest he can’t do the job? I’ll guarantee your response will have to be based upon opinion and not facts

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d suggest a sports director holding a qualification in sports directorship is quite relevant to be honest. In the same way I hope my doctor is a doctor in medicine and not rocket science.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve just had a look, I actually got it wrong. He’s significantly more educated than I thought it’s not a standard degree in sports directorship but actually a masters degree in the same subject. They most certainly don’t give them out like confetti

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well it's hard to judge the merits of an individual from the outside, but I would argue that the collective nature of those decisions is some protection from any one of them being seriously incompetent and there is very little evidence in my opinion that the overall results of the football, or business, management has been poor - though I accept you may disagree with that view.
I don’t think Sellars is incompetent . Just not experienced in adult EuropeanFootball.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What have you seen to suggest he can’t do the job? I’ll guarantee your response will have to be based upon opinion and not facts
He has been in charge of youth for 7 years ? How many players are playing in our first 15 that came via our youth policy ? Does that constitute a fact or an opinion. ?
Since his arrival I can’t name one player bought that has been influential , a player that wasn’t Portuguese or a Mendes client. That is my observation of the team put out in front of me on the pitch , that is not my opinion It’s an observed fact..
Please give me facts that substantiates a different view .

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has been in charge of youth for 7 years ? How many players are playing in our first 15 that came via our youth policy ? Does that constitute a fact or an opinion. ?
Since his arrival,I can’t name one player bought that has been influential , a player that wasn’t Portuguese or a Mendes client. Certainly not his field English youth . That is my observation of the team put out to play, that is not my opinion.
Look how many are on the fringes from the youth. Look at Cundle, Kilman, Gibbs White, Farmer, Roberts, Lonwijk etc the list is massive. The current crop of youth is the best in 3 decades. When it comes to senior signings you can’t judge because simply put you can’t distinguish between who brought who in. Plenty of the players aren’t Gestifute clients but may well have been brokered by them, it’s simply not public information. RAN as an example.

What would you expect from a head of recruitment with our budget that Sellars hasn’t delivered?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look how many are on the fringes from the youth. Look at Cundle, Kilman, Gibbs White, Farmer, Roberts, Lonwijk etc the list is massive. The current crop of youth is the best in 3 decades. When it comes to senior signings you can’t judge because simply put you can’t distinguish between who brought who in. Plenty of the players aren’t Gestifute clients but may well have been brokered by them, it’s simply not public information. RAN as an example.

What would you expect from a head of recruitment with our budget that Sellars hasn’t delivered?
As you point out you can’t separate Sellars from his authorised budget .
Kilman was a good buy. I am assuming that was Sellars but may be Thelwell . As he was not a youth academy product.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As you point out you can’t separate Sellars from his authorised budget .
Kilman was a good buy. I am assuming that was Sellars but may be Thelwell . As he was not a youth academy product.
So we disregard Neto, RAN etc because we don’t know what his involvement was? It’s far too easy to criticise him to fit an agenda.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we disregard Neto, RAN etc because we don’t know what his involvement was? It’s far too easy to criticise him to fit an agenda.
It’s not an agenda . Come on , I may not know Sellars involvement , but do you really think Neto or RAN would have joined if Mendes was not involved. He is both of their agents. That is where I use facts to make a judgement. Yes it’s a quess, there’s a chance I am wrong what ..000001% .

Last edited:

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Since his arrival I can’t name one player bought that has been influential , a player that wasn’t Portuguese or a Mendes client. That is my observation of the team put out in front of me on the pitch , that is not my opinion It’s an observed fact..
In the last few years we’ve come to more than match Villa, Blues, Albion and Coventry who were all doing better academy-wise. Annexed East Bham - hotbed for WM talent by investing in Arden Village FC, much to the annoyance of all the above.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness i will take gibbs white, sanderson and giles playing at a high level as success. Then there is the smattering of players like corbeanu and connor ronan at a lower level who are also worth a substantial amount. Sprinkled with nigel lonwijk who is pulling up trees in holland.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not an agenda . Come on , I may not know Sellars involvement , but do you really think Neto or RAN would have joined if Mendes was not involved. He is both of their agents. That is where I use facts to make a judgement. Yes it’s a quess, there’s a chance I am wrong what ..000001% .
I’ll tell you why it’s an agenda because you can’t have it all ways. You can’t say he’s no good at his job and then say Mendes brings the player AND then say we need a better head of recruitment. If all the good signings are down to Mendes then why do we need a better head of recruitment? Wouldn’t that be absolutely pointless? Just a bloke sat in an office playing solitaire all day while Mendes does the rest.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No issue with Sellers personally, appears to be perfectly well qualified and although he’s done it in a ridiculously over the top way (bankrupt ffs!) at least he’s being honest, unlike Jeffs waffle.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sellars is a slime ball. Keeps doing silly interviews talking up his own game and what he likes about the club and how Cundle should play.

Sorry the past 4 windows have been failures how many of them was under his watch??

Keep coming up with stupid excuses on how you won’t bankrupt us Scott while we fall more behind clubs that strengthen. (Newcastle, West Ham, Leicester, Vile, Spurs so on and so forth… Fear not Jordao will probably come back like a new signing and be Neves replacement?? I can already hear the excuses it’s hard to have faith in a motormouth like moxey

Talk of us coming close to signing Sanches and Botman is laughable I bet we never even made a bid for them

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom