Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leeds Verdict

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If ever a game called out for Nuno's philosophy of 'controlling the game without the ball' it was this one. Don't know how the players could have forgotten so much so quickly.

Leeds forced us to play at a tempo we are uncomfortable at. Maybe that is why Bruno was praising the players for the first half. Because that was something different for us and it worked well. Normally, when we speed up, it becomes a catalogue of misplaced passes. But until the sending off, we'd been getting the ball into players in space behind Leeds press, with speed and precision. We don't manage that hardly at all.

Overall, we aren't the first team to lose a 2 goal lead and we won't be the last. It just happens to everyone, every few seasons. If anything, we are one of the best at winning those games. After our Villa 3-2, they said something like there had been 6 such 2-goal turnarounds in recent seasons and Wolves had done 3 of them. Some teams hadn't managed it in 10 years.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How things are forgotten so quickly. We went down to 9 men against Middlesbrough & mainly the same back line dealt with everything. Roman a hero lying on the pitch everything given to the old gold & black. I'm sure some fans have never seen a football match before!! Like this is the only time we have lost a game of football!! **** happens, you deal with it & try again.

Sometimes I read this & think people have some kind of delusions on the reality of a game played by people & refereed by a massive bleeping bleeper. Remember 4-3 & how that must of felt!!
Good thing that was how many years ago now?

You forgot to mention that we were in League One at some point.

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
Just forced myself to watch it again. Wolves v Leeds reserves. No better second time round. For me 50/50 at worst Raul second card. After that abysmal panicky defending. Considering our superb defensive record what a crock of ****.
Sorry Bruno once again your naivety showed up. Jiminez off should never have affected the result. two goals up against a **** Prem side forced to play most of their reserve team. Only the Wolves could have ****ed that up.
And they did.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leeds forced us to play at a tempo we are uncomfortable at. Maybe that is why Bruno was praising the players for the first half. Because that was something different for us and it worked well. Normally, when we speed up, it becomes a catalogue of misplaced passes. But until the sending off, we'd been getting the ball into players in space behind Leeds press, with speed and precision. We don't manage that hardly at all.

Overall, we aren't the first team to lose a 2 goal lead and we won't be the last. It just happens to everyone, every few seasons. If anything, we are one of the best at winning those games. After our Villa 3-2, they said something like there had been 6 such 2-goal turnarounds in recent seasons and Wolves had done 3 of them. Some teams hadn't managed it in 10 years.
You make valid points.
But if Bruno wants us to be able to adapt our system (from 5-3-2 to 3-4-3 to 4-4-2 or whatever) he will surely also want us to be able to adapt our game to different tempos. Chasing a game when losing we need a sense of urgency, whereas Friday night required (after the red card) taking the 'sting' out of the game, letting Leeds run around as much as they want, but us moving the ball slowly and methodically, retaining possession for as long as viable. Basically, after seeing us control games without the ball for so long under Nuno I guess I'm just disappointed that we showed no signs of doing that on Friday.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mental midgets, then. Grow a pair, God damn it.

I'm sure Sa was mortified on the sending off. Coady **** his pants. Boly went into the fetal position. Saiss changed his boots for greased on top slippers.
I thought Coady was alright to be honest? Sa was obviously at fault for one goal at least but I think that's the pay-off with him: he's mental which usually works in our favour because he's brave but occasionally he has a brain fart.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You make valid points.
But if Bruno wants us to be able to adapt our system (from 5-3-2 to 3-4-3 to 4-4-2 or whatever) he will surely also want us to be able to adapt our game to different tempos. Chasing a game when losing we need a sense of urgency, whereas Friday night required (after the red card) taking the 'sting' out of the game, letting Leeds run around as much as they want, but us moving the ball slowly and methodically, retaining possession for as long as viable. Basically, after seeing us control games without the ball for so long under Nuno I guess I'm just disappointed that we showed no signs of doing that on Friday.

Yes, he will. Though we have a central defence and midfield that was carefully built to stifle matches. "The best team in the league without the ball", they used to say - like you mentioned. Is it possible for a team to do both? Especially a team assembled on a budget far lower than the big 6 and the other European giants?

It was surprising how we couldn't put our foot on the ball at 2-0 and 10 men, or even 2-2. Which is why I think Bruno had told them to keep trying to score more and not gone into turtle mode. Probably because of all the complaints on here about us being dull and negative. :p Maybve Fosun were getting edgy about us not being a good watch and Sky not wanting to show us? "We dont' care if you lose Mr Lage, just give the viewers in China something to remember". He did that all right.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Coady was alright to be honest? Sa was obviously at fault for one goal at least but I think that's the pay-off with him: he's mental which usually works in our favour because he's brave but occasionally he has a brain fart.
Coady is supposed to be our captain and in the position of a three man central defence is the man who should be marshalling the defence. As such he should be the man most responsible for the team falling apart. Too many times our defence has been poor regarding making mistakes and not dominating defence but more likely to just give the oppo's the ball back.
All we had to do was to shore up the defence and frustrate Leeds. What we really lacked though again was players with real pace to put Leeds on the back foot on a counter attack so Leeds didn't have to set up for that possibility.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still annoyed and probably the worst time for an international break, which I don't usually mind.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re the Jiminez incident.
In the box goalkeepers are quite righltly;protected to a certain extent. If they chose to come out of the box they revert to the powers of an outfield player and forego that protection. Friend got that decision wrong big time and he knows it.
I must disagree with you.................I dont think Friend does know it.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You make valid points.
We've controlled games this season. Commentators always say that don't go a goal down to Wolves, that's why Friday was such a shock tbh. I'm still coming to terms with it. Until the sending off I was watching thinking I wonder how many we'll score now. I said on here at HT let's get Silva on and give him a half which would do his confidence the world of good. Shocking really how in 30 minutes pretty much all our defenders fell apart.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Verdict on the match. Leeds did not win this match.........we lost it.
We totally dominted the match but despite two good goals we failed to score more to match that dominance.
Yes the game fell apart for us after the appalling sending off. No excuses for our response.
However I cannot believe some of the reactions especially from the pundits and Leeds. Leeds were not that incredible team who turned this match on its head. The reaction from Leeds and you would have thought that they had just won the European cup beating Barca. Their manager was totally deluded if he thought that Leeds could have done that without the Jiminez sending off. We fell apart
As for the sending off. I watched it several times and still cannot believe it. Raul was running in a straight line and it was their keeper who came flying out at a diagonal. My best guess is that Raul saw him in the periphal and tried checking his run as did slow down and the keeper did not. That was the only reason Raul was second to the ball. Had he not slowed down he would have reached the ball earlier and maybe the collision would have been more serious. If anything their keeper was reckless. However a simple ruling of a coming together would have been the most fair decision.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were really good up to the sending off. If we’re being really honest we should have been 4 or 5 up.
Respectfully disagree, I thought we were good until half time, they come out and we're forcing us back before the sending off.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Verdict on the match. Leeds did not win this match.........we lost it.
We totally dominted the match but despite two good goals we failed to score more to match that dominance.
Yes the game fell apart for us after the appalling sending off. No excuses for our response.
However I cannot believe some of the reactions especially from the pundits and Leeds. Leeds were not that incredible team who turned this match on its head. The reaction from Leeds and you would have thought that they had just won the European cup beating Barca. Their manager was totally deluded if he thought that Leeds could have done that without the Jiminez sending off. We fell apart
As for the sending off. I watched it several times and still cannot believe it. Raul was running in a straight line and it was their keeper who came flying out at a diagonal. My best guess is that Raul saw him in the periphal and tried checking his run as did slow down and the keeper did not. That was the only reason Raul was second to the ball. Had he not slowed down he would have reached the ball earlier and maybe the collision would have been more serious. If anything their keeper was reckless. However a simple ruling of a coming together would have been the most fair decision.
Bones might have been broken had Raul not slowed down that tiny bit.

rubyloo

Reaction score
Respectfully disagree, I thought we were good until half time, they come out and we're forcing us back before the sending off.

I noticed that - there was a definite change in their tempo and they were pressing us higher up. I remember thinking this could be a tough second half even before the sending off.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it's a crime to post anything manu here but I've always remembered this match. Had this happened under Friend, the entire stadium in gold and black only would get a red. I call this hard-nosed proper football:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it's a crime to post anything manu here but I've always remembered this match. Had this happened under Friend, the entire stadium in gold and black only would get a red. I call this hard-nosed proper football:

It’s not proper football ……..football was built around the idea of fair and good sportsmanship. Use your speed and talent to beat your opponent.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not proper football ……..football was built around the idea of fair and good sportsmanship. Use your speed and talent to beat your opponent.
I respectfully disagree. No fouls as all players got up and kept on about their business instead of rolling around like little girls.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. No fouls as all players got up and kept on about their business instead of rolling around like little girls.
I absolutely agree with the rolling around like girls….for god’s sake , get up take a breath and get on with the game or, if really injured, go off.

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
Definitely not as the on pitch leader.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely not as the on pitch leader.
We can point the finger all we want at the ref but ultimately the players let themselves down. Soon as Leeds scored you could sense the next one was coming. We only have ourself to blame. We cannot let this happen. Without Neves & Raul on the pitch we looked like a league 2 side. Going forwards I’m apprehensive about playing villa without two key players if I’m honest. I’m hoping Lage throws Cundle in

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score

I absolutely agree with the rolling around like girls….for god’s sake , get up take a breath and get on with the game or, if really injured, go off.
'like girls'... great description... I put up with significant pain every single day. I've never rolled around like some sexist stereotypical insult in my life.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you notice the thick commentator called Moutinho “Coutinho“ for the whole bloody game.... not even just once or twice as an honest mistake. He genuinely went the entire game oblivious to the fact.
You can quickly assess whether the Sky Germany commentators have a clue about anything over than the "big 6" PL sides if they say at kick-off "die Wolves in gelb".

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
Bruno needs to learn from this game, there is a time and a place to dig in and defend and this was the time, sending on Hwang, Fabio and Chiquinho late game did nothing to keep Leeds at bay..

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The most stupid part of Raul being sent off was his 1st yellow. No reason for him to commit that foul and fully deserved it. The 2nd yellow would then have been his first. Despite everything he has achieved or done for us it really is time for us to get a goal-scoring striker in.
Thanks for your input Raul and sad that your injury has affected you so badly. Best of luck.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno needs to learn from this game, there is a time and a place to dig in and defend and this was the time, sending on Hwang, Fabio and Chiquinho late game did nothing to keep Leeds at bay..

Fabio and Chiquinho came on when we were losing 3-2, to be fair.

But a midfielder [guess Cundle the only option] should've been on straight away.

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
'like girls'... great description... I put up with significant pain every single day. I've never rolled around like some sexist stereotypical insult in my life.
Touché……
was just being lazy and used what was there.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can point the finger all we want at the ref but ultimately the players let themselves down. Soon as Leeds scored you could sense the next one was coming. We only have ourself to blame. We cannot let this happen. Without Neves & Raul on the pitch we looked like a league 2 side. Going forwards I’m apprehensive about playing villa without two key players if I’m honest. I’m hoping Lage throws Cundle in
Best 3-line synopsis I've read

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
bang on

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

...and then they had the idea of starting the Premier League.

Back
Top Bottom