Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Arise Sir Maximilian, England international

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are so right, what a wonderful player. Max has a certain swagger that reminds me of

Beckenbauer​

(spelling?)
The Closest run out of defence with a ball from a defender I have ever seen at Wolves was Richard Stearman when he glided out so majestically against the Albion - Then a sniper got him - but Hunts tackle after was a thing of beauty.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Max is the most improved player at Wolves over the past couple of seasons and must be right up there for PotS. I love to see him carry the ball forwards, but unfortunately he gets so far and then doesn't know what to do with it as there are so few options.
If I have one criticism of him it's that he should be more dominant at Wolves' corners. He's 6ft 4 and built like a brick ****house. He's scored one goal so far and imo should be doing better. I think it will come, but at the moment, Saiss seems the danger at corners.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Max is the most improved player at Wolves over the past couple of seasons and must be right up there for PotS. I love to see him carry the ball forwards, but unfortunately he gets so far and then doesn't know what to do with it as there are so few options.

He's going to do a "Full Maradona " one of these days, just wait! Or alternatively, a 30 yard pile driver.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was thinking today how utterly mad it is that we have conceded 17 goals in 23 appearances. Max is a titan of a man.

White at Arsenal is playing well, I presume Stones is doing well (I try not to watch Man City).

Mings was good against Newcastle but has been dire this season. So has Konsa
Maguire is a busted flush. Webster at Brighton and Tomori must be there or thereabouts. Aside from Coady, is there anyone else against whom Max is competing?

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was thinking today how utterly mad it is that we have conceded 17 goals in 23 appearances. Max is a titan of a man.

White at Arsenal is playing well, I presume Stones is doing well (I try not to watch Man City).

Maguire is a busted flush. Webster at Brighton and Tomori must be there or thereabouts. Aside from Coady, is there anyone else against whom Max is competing?
I suppose you could add Kyle Walker to that list, as he plays on the right hand side of a back 3 if England play that formation, as Max does for us

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I have one criticism of him it's that he should be more dominant at Wolves' corners. He's 6ft 4 and built like a brick ****house. He's scored one goal so far and imo should be doing better. I think it will come, but at the moment, Saiss seems the danger at corners.
Saiss is good at initial positioning at corners and then timing his run to meet the ball.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I said on another thread that Stones has had few minutes this season, far fewer than Kilman and he was played at RB the other night. He'll get selected before Kilman just because he plays for Man City. I know I'm going to be disappointed but looking at the competition I just can't see how Kilman won't get selected. I assume Gareth will speak to Coady whom I'm sure will sing Kilman's praises!

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Closest run out of defence with a ball from a defender I have ever seen at Wolves was Richard Stearman when he glided out so majestically against the Albion - Then a sniper got him - but Hunts tackle after was a thing of beauty.

Possibly one of my favourite passages of football ever.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully the fact he hasn’t proven himself playing in a back 4 will discourage some of the “big” teams bidding for him.

el gringo

Reaction score
I just watched Lage's post-Spurs press conference in which he was asked about Kilman's progress and he said (something like) - well he was good today but very bad against Arsenal. Very bad performance. I had to talk to him about it.

Did anyone else see that and get a bit of a surprise? Was he bad against Arsenal?

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with all of that. He's benefited from us defending better as a team. Under the latter days of Nuno's reign we had lost that collective ability to defend as a unit so everyone's mistakes were magnified.

Football is a little like chess. There are some scenarios you can prepare for with gamification, some which are more fluid and require individual innovation as an attacker to create off the cuff, but most attackers will play to their strengths, so you can do a degree of preparation and as long as everyone understands what to do when, you can defend well enough to nullify the opposition and force them into moments of brilliance.

When you prepare like this, the moments where defenders nullify moments of brilliance look even better. Max is superb at that. He nullified Saha. He's nullified Salah, Kane, Jesus, Son, Saha, Cavani, Aubameyang, etc and it looks fantastic. Footwork doesn't generally get the better of him because he's closer to being their equal than most other premier league defenders.

One of the things he probably still needs to improve is knowing when not to play - persistent buggers like Jota, Lacazette, Pukki, Vardy and Maupay are happy to lose out 95% of the time but will challenge him 30% more than other strikers. That's where he needs to learn to just get rid and not rely on smart passes to players who may not be on his wavelength.

In Bruno's utopia system there is no real place for him in the final third. Bruno likes to defend high and move everyone forward as a group. That means he either has to go all the way and shoot or go forward but play the ball to one of the other breaking players and retain that high line. So he also has that to contend with.

IMO he's benefiting from a better Coady (who is now organizing again) and is potentially better than Boly was at his best, already not far off. If he can add Boly's muscle and awareness he'll be the best defender we've had since Dean Richards, actually probably better, RIP.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has to be between him and Sá. Maybe we could have a joint player of the season?

Coeur de Loup

Reaction score
I think that one of his main assets is that he rarely goes to ground when making a tackle - as opposed to Saiss who tends to make sliding tackles - and can therefore come away in possession of the ball when he wins it.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just watched Lage's post-Spurs press conference in which he was asked about Kilman's progress and he said (something like) - well he was good today but very bad against Arsenal. Very bad performance. I had to talk to him about it.

Did anyone else see that and get a bit of a surprise? Was he bad against Arsenal?
I don’t remember Kilman specifically being bad.
Generally slightly poor performance from all, didn’t create much, but neither did they.
Certainly didn’t see anything worth Bruno having words for. He’s the gaffer though, he obviously saw something.

Planty

Groupie
Reaction score
I think that one of his main assets is that he rarely goes to ground when making a tackle - as opposed to Saiss who tends to make sliding tackles - and can therefore come away in possession of the ball when he wins it.

They don't allow slide tackles in Futsal, apparently he used to play Futsal for England

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No Stones in the City team again. There is no way Southgate can pick him ahead of Kilman?

JJ59

Reaction score
Following todays results Wolves and Man City have both conceded just 17 goals thus far, although City get the bragging rights as they have played more games. Not bad though eh!

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose you could add Kyle Walker to that list, as he plays on the right hand side of a back 3 if England play that formation, as Max does for us
But is actually a fullback (a very good one). It smacks of a desperation to play a top six player, wherever possible, even when its to the detriment of the team and they have to be shoehorned into a position they dont play for their club.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Interview on R5L in a bit apparently, 'talking about Futsal and a possible England call up'.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But is actually a fullback (a very good one). It smacks of a desperation to play a top six player, wherever possible, even when its to the detriment of the team and they have to be shoehorned into a position they dont play for their club.
Not really. It’s a role he plays relatively often, if not alleged starting position. Walker is the ultimate counter-attack counter, you can leave him 1v1 on the halfway line and pour everyone else forwards if need be.
He also regularly drops into a back 3 for City when they’re in possession, their attacking midfielders move up to form a front 5, and Cancelo drifts into CM with Rodri to act as the pivot and recycle.

I think Walker-Coady-Kilman would be a brilliant back 3 for England. Coady to keep both of them on track and in position, Walker’s ridiculous pace to cover Coady’s none.

Walker is obviously a bell-end personally, and has more ricks in him than you’d expect in a serial title winning team, but he does a good and important job for City and England when called upon.

Back
Top Bottom