Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Another Scumbag Footballer

bigwolf

Reaction score
I accept that, and I don’t think anyone is comparing it to rape and murder, or some even sicker things done to animals. However the fact that his brother videos it, laughs as the cat runs in terror, and then he gets a child to hold the cat while he slaps it, then puts it on social media for entertainment, is shocking and sickening. It’s also scary, because of what it suggests he is capable of, and what he thinks is acceptable behaviour.

That Moyes and West Ham then selected him to play the very same day, says nothing good about Moyes or the club owners. They fully deserve the ****storm that’s coming their way by way of sponsors pulling out. They clearly care more about money than ethics, so I hope this hurts them where it matters most to them.

That is a good point and I accept that on what he thinks is acceptable behaviour.

On west ham completely agree. They deserve everything they get. The decision was bizarre.

But you know what putting my Moyes shoes on for a moment...I do have some sympathy with him. He is there to get them as high as possible and they are back in top four after than win with Zouma in.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised to see such universal condemnation on here yesterday when the story broke as I was I was expecting a number of posters to trivialise it. We are a nation of animal lovers but a large minority of people don't really see them as sentient beings and think, "So, what? It's just a cat." So I'm not really surprised to see someone pipe up with that remark, just take the positive that the overwhelming response on here is the opposite.

Although in an initial emotional reaction I often would like to throttle someone for hurting an animal, threatening violence on someone makes me feel uncomfortable. I often hope that people can learn and change, and even if they will never love animals, they can learn to appreciate and respect them. Of course, some people just need some sort of punishment as a deterrent for repeat behaviour and everyone else. In the case of Zouma, I think it was important that West Ham dished out some sort of punishment and drew a line yesterday by not playing him. Now, it just gives the message that winning a football match is more important than violence against an animal. They've made a big mistake.

That said, he apologised (although probably because he was caught) and after serving some sort of punishment there should be some room for rehabilitation and a level of forgiveness. We've seen in recent times that the thing to do in these modern times is not to apologise, to double down if possible, obfuscate, deny, trivialise, blame others, and distract from the wrong doing. That's why I think we should at least take Zouma's apology into account. Whatever the reason, be did apologise. I would like to see him do some type of restitution (maybe a donation to an animal charity or volunteering in some way), but if we don't listen or accept to any apologies that people give for wrongdoing, then it discourages proper apologies and healing of trust and relationships.

All this said, it does say something about someone who purposely hurts a defenceless animal. After avoiding seeing the video I finally watched it as I think I should see it I'm going to comment on it. It was bleak. I had a work colleague who was a reasonably good friend a few years ago. We passed a dog in the street after work on the way to the train station. The dog was probably a stray and injured. I started to go over to it to check it out and call the RSPCA and out of nowhere he kicked it hard in the belly and said something like "Out of the way you smelly ******" Had to hold back from hitting him, but in the end I didn't. That was the last time I spoke to him or had anything to do with him. Called the RSPCA and waited with the dog Was a difficult decision given the circumstances but I gave his name and contact details to the RSPCA, but I don't think anything happened to him as a result. He never showed any contrition and couldn't understand my reaction. He eventually left the place I worked as a social pariah because he just didn't get it, apologise, or show any remorse. People just saw him as a bit of a dangerous weirdo after it.

Anyway waffled a bit too much. Glad the cats have been taken away from his home.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh come on. A cat got kicked and got slapped about some. As much as it is terrible to see it's hardly a hanging offence.

I am not condoning it, he should not have played last night clearly and he should be punished appropriately it but some of the reporting of it is utter nonsense.

There was a breaking news story on talksport today about his cats being taken away. For christ sake.

It fits the current narrative 'Footballers think they are above the law' nonsense that gets banded around so becomes front page news and is the latest social media witch hunt.

Hanging him, it's a yes from me. Scum

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised to see such universal condemnation on here yesterday when the story broke as I was I was expecting a number of posters to trivialise it. We are a nation of animal lovers but a large minority of people don't really see them as sentient beings and think, "So, what? It's just a cat." So I'm not really surprised to see someone pipe up with that remark, just take the positive that the overwhelming response on here is the opposite.

Although in an initial emotional reaction I often would like to throttle someone for hurting an animal, threatening violence on someone makes me feel uncomfortable. I often hope that people can learn and change, and even if they will never love animals, they can learn to appreciate and respect them. Of course, some people just need some sort of punishment as a deterrent for repeat behaviour and everyone else. In the case of Zouma, I think it was important that West Ham dished out some sort of punishment and drew a line yesterday by not playing him. Now, it just gives the message that winning a football match is more important than violence against an animal. They've made a big mistake.

That said, he apologised (although probably because he was caught) and after serving some sort of punishment there should be some room for rehabilitation and a level of forgiveness. We've seen in recent times that the thing to do in these modern times is not to apologise, to double down if possible, obfuscate, deny, trivialise, blame others, and distract from the wrong doing. That's why I think we should at least take Zouma's apology into account. Whatever the reason, be did apologise. I would like to see him do some type of restitution (maybe a donation to an animal charity or volunteering in some way), but if we don't listen or accept to any apologies that people give for wrongdoing, then it discourages proper apologies and healing of trust and relationships.

All this said, it does say something about someone who purposely hurts a defenceless animal. After avoiding seeing the video I finally watched it as I think I should see it I'm going to comment on it. It was bleak. I had a work colleague who was a reasonably good friend a few years ago. We passed a dog in the street after work on the way to the train station. The dog was probably a stray and injured. I started to go over to it to check it out and call the RSPCA and out of nowhere he kicked it hard in the belly and said something like "Out of the way you smelly ******" Had to hold back from hitting him, but in the end I didn't. That was the last time I spoke to him or had anything to do with him. Called the RSPCA and waited with the dog Was a difficult decision given the circumstances but I gave his name and contact details to the RSPCA, but I don't think anything happened to him as a result. He never showed any contrition and couldn't understand my reaction. He eventually left the place I worked as a social pariah because he just didn't get it, apologise, or show any remorse. People just saw him as a bit of a dangerous weirdo after it.

Anyway waffled a bit too much. Glad the cats have been taken away from his home.

Very good post. You did the the right thing.

Regards punishment for Zouma. I do think given the way it was filmed and shared for entertainment that he and his brother need to be punished through the law. I’m glad he apologised, and it’s a start, but how genuine and heartfelt was it? Was it simply his PR consultant speaking on his behalf? He needs to be filmed showing real contrition before I take it at face value.

But it still won’t stop idiots watching the video and thinking that looks fun. If you think that’s extreme, just look at many of the replies on Twitter. While many people are disgusted, there are a lot of Tweets defending him, saying it’s “only a cat” and blaming the people’s disgust and the media reaction as racism by non black people. If people feel that way after watching what he did, then I’m sure some will have no issue with showing solidarity with Zouma and kicking random animals and filming it. His video didn’t start animal cruelty as you demonstrated in your post, but it may make it worse, at least for a time.

As for West Ham. Well, words fail me and they deserve all that’s coming their way now.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score

Regards punishment for Zouma. I do think given the way it was filmed and shared for entertainment that he and his brother need to be punished through the law. I’m glad he apologised, and it’s a start, but how genuine and heartfelt was it? Was it simply his PR consultant speaking on his behalf? He needs to be filmed showing real contrition before I take it at face value.

But it still won’t stop idiots watching the video and thinking that looks fun. If you think that’s extreme, just look at many of the replies on Twitter. While many people are disgusted, there are a lot of Tweets defending him, saying it’s “only a cat” and blaming the people’s disgust and the media reaction as racism by non black people. If people feel that way after watching what he did, then I’m sure some will have no issue with showing solidarity with Zouma and kicking random animals and filming it. His video didn’t start animal cruelty as you demonstrated in your post, but it may make it worse, at least for a time.

As for West Ham. Well, words fail me and they deserve all that’s coming their way now.
Very reasonable points.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You make some very valid ans articulate points. I feel some sympathy with other's 'in the grand scheme of things' type arguments too. I've been persuaded by Jonathon Sumption's arguments about the slow creep of legalism and so also think this is probably one best left for the RSPCA, i.e. let's not get carried away with criminalizing etc.

However, for me this is behaviour that suggests a pathological (i.e. deep-rooted, personality level) cruelty on the part of Zouma and perhaps his brother. There's something very dark about what was happening there in Zouma's house. This wasn't just a chap out of his depth with a poorly behaved animal acting badly out of frustration. It was a man getting a sadistic kick out of hurting / dominating a defenceless creature, and wanting to be seen doing so.

Let's see how sorry he is before contemplating accepting his apology made under duress.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

My then girlfriend once had a word with a bloke punching his granddaughter (judging by their ages) in the back on a bus in Brum. The little girl, who was about 6 years old, was laughing along but looked terrified and in pain. He went off on one and a few lads from the back came forward not to defend us but to say we didn't get 'their' culture. I see some parallels here - sometimes a thing is just plain wrong.

Lycaon

Reaction score
Fair play to the sponsors that have suspended for now their involvement in WHU.

Ironically, I just can’t see their main shirt sponsor Betway taking the moral high ground, what a can of worms that could open up?!…..And yes I’ve always felt uncomfortable with our shirt sponsorship deal.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The apology is purely a drafted statement, designed by lawyers and social media admin, to include key phrases that will influence any possible legal action. It has no bearing on what Zouma actually thinks or feels about anything.

The news coverage is sensationalist because that's what news coverage is; Footballer kicks cat is ten times more newsworthy than Man kicks cat. Public reaction, regardless of whether it's deemed over-reaction or influenced by the abuser being a public figure, is genuine. And continued news coverage is CRUCIAL, because the message it sends out is that there are consequences, and that it's important, the exact opposite of the message Moyes and West Ham sent last night, beyond their constructed, mealy-mouthed statements.

There will always be people whose reaction is bemusement or frustration, who wonder about agenda, because their instinct is "It's just a cat" even if they're appalled as well. The response is, "Yes, it's terrible, but..."

There is no 'but'. There is never a 'but'. It's not something to be compared to other crimes, as if it matters less because worse things happen, and not something to trivialise, or to be accredited to any campaign against football or rich people or anything else.

It was a premeditated act of cruelty for cruelty's sake, designed to inflict harm, misery and humiliation, for the perpetrator's own enjoyment, and it says everything about the person Zouma is, not because he's rich or a footballer, but because his way of thinking is, "It's just a cat".

The reason the reaction has been so vociferous is because everyone has different triggers and standards of decency and for a lot of people the care and treatment of animals is paramount. You can't teach that to anyone who has already made up their minds about what is decent, or who doesn't instinctively feel that kind of compassion or empathy. You CAN teach it to children, and what Zouma is doing in that video, the thing that just exacerbates the cruelty and criminality, is that he's teaching his kids what he feels, that "it's just a cat" and its pain is there for amusement.

It's certainly a trigger for me because I work with animals and I know first-hand what pain, unhappiness and cruelty is. As I said in a previous post, anyone who thinks it's "just a kick" or "just a slap" has quite obviously never had to experience or observe the suffering or devastating injuries just a single attack can cause. Animals are incredibly delicate, in all aspects.

This was not "something that happened to a cat". This was a vile and deliberate act perpetrated by a person upon a defenseless creature, for their fun, and the sadness and outrage and disgust people feel about it is wholly justified. No agenda, it's not about football, it's simply that the mindless, contemptible **** who did it happens to be a footballer.

Stourwolf

Reaction score
Indeed and I say again he needs to be punished both financially and through a criminal route if appropriate. It is not acceptable.

But the way some are talking about this it is like he has rose fred west from the dead and starting a killing spree.
Unreal

D

Deleted member (smith)

My then girlfriend once had a word with a bloke punching his granddaughter (judging by their ages) in the back on a bus in Brum. The little girl, who was about 6 years old, was laughing along but looked terrified and in pain. He went off on one and a few lads from the back came forward not to defend us but to say we didn't get 'their' culture. I see some parallels here - sometimes a thing is just plain wrong.

it takes a long time to change a cullture but universal condemnation is a start. I have been a lifelong animal lover and joined the league against cruel sports 50 years ago….cultures like Spanish bullfighting will take time to eradicate.

i have several adoptees from the local shelter…my latest dog is very destructive which is probably separation anxiety or nerves caused by a difficult life. Pets can be very frustrating especially cats….but some people don’t have the patience to deal with animals that chew stuff and they should recognize this and not have pets ….this particular cat is an expensive bengal trophy cat. Too much money not enough brains or temperament Kurt. All my cats have been strays and very rewarding once settled.Pets can give unconditional love and are dependent on their owner…Zouma should never have another animal…hurting a harmless pet is an offense worthy of a life ban From owning any pet.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The apology is purely a drafted statement, designed by lawyers and social media admin, to include key phrases that will influence any possible legal action. It has no bearing on what Zouma actually thinks or feels about anything.

The news coverage is sensationalist because that's what news coverage is; Footballer kicks cat is ten times more newsworthy than Man kicks cat. Public reaction, regardless of whether it's deemed over-reaction or influenced by the abuser being a public figure, is genuine. And continued news coverage is CRUCIAL, because the message it sends out is that there are consequences, and that it's important, the exact opposite of the message Moyes and West Ham sent last night, beyond their constructed, mealy-mouthed statements.

There will always be people whose reaction is bemusement or frustration, who wonder about agenda, because their instinct is "It's just a cat" even if they're appalled as well. The response is, "Yes, it's terrible, but..."

There is no 'but'. There is never a 'but'. It's not something to be compared to other crimes, as if it matters less because worse things happen, and not something to trivialise, or to be accredited to any campaign against football or rich people or anything else.

It was a premeditated act of cruelty for cruelty's sake, designed to inflict harm, misery and humiliation, for the perpetrator's own enjoyment, and it says everything about the person Zouma is, not because he's rich or a footballer, but because his way of thinking is, "It's just a cat".

The reason the reaction has been so vociferous is because everyone has different triggers and standards of decency and for a lot of people the care and treatment of animals is paramount. You can't teach that to anyone who has already made up their minds about what is decent, or who doesn't instinctively feel that kind of compassion or empathy. You CAN teach it to children, and what Zouma is doing in that video, the thing that just exacerbates the cruelty and criminality, is that he's teaching his kids what he feels, that "it's just a cat" and its pain is there for amusement.

It's certainly a trigger for me because I work with animals and I know first-hand what pain, unhappiness and cruelty is. As I said in a previous post, anyone who thinks it's "just a kick" or "just a slap" has quite obviously never had to experience or observe the suffering or devastating injuries just a single attack can cause. Animals are incredibly delicate, in all aspects.

This was not "something that happened to a cat". This was a vile and deliberate act perpetrated by a person upon a defenseless creature, for their fun, and the sadness and outrage and disgust people feel about it is wholly justified. No agenda, it's not about football, it's simply that the mindless, contemptible **** who did it happens to be a footballer.
Just over a year ago we got our cat from the RSPCA. He was six months old and had already been reformed and returned he still will flinch and cower on occasion as if he’s expecting a clout. It’s heartbreaking to see the look on his face and I dread to think what’s been done to him in the past.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh come on. A cat got kicked and got slapped about some. As much as it is terrible to see it's hardly a hanging offence.

I am not condoning it, he should not have played last night clearly and he should be punished appropriately it but some of the reporting of it is utter nonsense.

There was a breaking news story on talksport today about his cats being taken away. For christ sake.

It fits the current narrative 'Footballers think they are above the law' nonsense that gets banded around so becomes front page news and is the latest social media witch hunt.

You need to read up about people who abuse animals and you will discover what else they are capable of and it's not good

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All pets want, is to be loved. What horrible Mr Zouma & his moronic brother decided to do is unacceptable. They should both be sent back to France. Scum of the earth I say. The French authorities are doing their own investigation.

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Top post, well said.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is a good point and I accept that on what he thinks is acceptable behaviour.

On west ham completely agree. They deserve everything they get. The decision was bizarre.

But you know what putting my Moyes shoes on for a moment...I do have some sympathy with him. He is there to get them as high as possible and they are back in top four after than win with Zouma in.
But they would probably have beaten Watford without him and saved the **** storm that has engulfed them, they were hardly playing Man City or Liverpool. I listened to talksport this morning, and not one person, presenters or callers (including many West Ham fans) supported the decision to play him. And that included Trevor Sinclair who is normally very supportive of players. As Simon Jordan put it, you can hardly expect any morality from the porn twins.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are Surrey Police the only police force left outside London? They came to me in Copthorne from Guildford a couple of years ago (nearly a week later at 1am, bizarrely), then again in Reigate it was Guildford again (although Reigate at least is in Surrey).

As appalling as it was, at least it wasn't a dog. Imagine seeing the little thing trot back and take even more of a beating

KFordOriginal

Groupie
Reaction score

I don’t think Moyes had any choice , if the club didn’t see a risk to current sponsorship/ funding they would advise / demand he played him.
The porn barons are only in to West Ham for money (see Birmingham City) and have no morals whatsoever.
They are running a club which has sold their land and now rent a stadium. It’s a new model but is making them very rich.
Money talks in football end of.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well, well, well what a climb down!!!!!!

SingleMalt

Reaction score
I think what’s got people scratching their heads is that this story is making bigger headlines than others. For instance it feels to me like more has been said on this topic than was said about Dalian Atkinson being killed by the police, and if that’s true it surely isn’t right.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think what’s got people scratching their heads is that this story is making bigger headlines than others. For instance it feels to me like more has been said on this topic than was said about Dalian Atkinson being killed by the police, and if that’s true it surely isn’t right.

no can't agree with you there, Social media is not the real world

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, and six meals a day, a gold cushion throne, Netflix, and world domination.

Certainly sounds like our nutter. We've got a rescue which is bengal (we didn't know at the time). She's utterly crazy and ridiculously smart. Also very loving. The cat in the video may also be bengal or similar.

I only watched the video once but the scary thing is that he isn't kicking a cat in frustration, he and his brother are using it as a punching bag effectively and laughing - in front of a young child. That's way beyond bad behaviour and signifies he needs to be seeing a specialist. Little chance this behaviour extends only to cats.

West Ham have behaved appallingly. Sponsors are right in that they sponsor the club but that club have done nothing as far as I'm concerned. The player should have been immediately suspended indefinitely and made to go for counselling to address his violent behaviour. The apology was not real. The fine was pointless.

He does need to be able to come back from this as I'm sure there are social background reasons but the club's position is inexcusable.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Its about having standards and the type of person you are. He has no standards and He's a grub. It was disgusting and i dont think people have gone in enough on him. You obviously dont think animal cruelty is a big deal which speaks volumes. He should be jailed.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must admit or I thought this thread was an over reaction. I thought it can’t be that bad I bet he only pushed the cat with his foot.

Just watched the video and I was wrong, proper drop kick and the reaction is totally justified, I’ve no idea why a person would do that to a cat. Shocking.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Must admit or I thought this thread was an over reaction. I thought it can’t be that bad I bet he only pushed the cat with his foot.

Just watched the video and I was wrong, proper drop kick and the reaction is totally justified, I’ve no idea why a person would do that to a cat. Shocking.
Zouma wont find it funny when his kid turns into a serial murderer! There was something normalised about that families reactions!!

Last edited:

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1644594808232.png
Dodgy post on the BBC thread last night

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite surprised and disappointed to see this, I must admit:

Absolutely disgraceful. I’m not sure now who’s acted worse, Zouma or his club. Zouma’a actions were disgusting and unforgivable. But West Ham have stuck two fingers up at the moral sensibilities of their fans and the general public. Their reputation is utterly trashed and deservingly so.

Back
Top Bottom