Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Today’s games - 2021-22

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Their keeper is better, their defence is better, midfield is 50/50, their strikers are (currently) better and their wide players are more productive.

Urggh, I hate it
Yet their defence contains a "reject" from us!!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
7 years ago. Far more recently, about the time we bought Fabio, Brentford bought Toney to replace Watkins to Villa. Presumably his medical was fine now.
And what would the reaction have been had we bought him from Peterborough at that time? Look at the posts on our links with Moore and multiply that a few fold! It’s easy to say we should have bought him now he’s doing it in the Prem, and the reality is his value has probably grown a good bit in just the first few games of this season.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see that Brentford are the new West Ham, Villa, Everton or whoever. Take your pick.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we'd of bought Toney when he went to Brentford there would have been pages and pages on how he wasn't good enough for us

Yes, I think there were a few comments that said that already. And I probably wrote one of them. :oops: How about we spy on Brentford, find out who they are scouting, then nip in quick with a better offer. :D

Alternatively, pages and pages of why <fill in player name here> may be disappointing right now, but is going to be a world beater when he is <select as applicable> "a bit older", "not injured", "settled", "a lot older", "in another position", "sold to Liverpool", "all of the above".

"Jeff, Scott, can you read this word here?"
"Eh,,Ch...Ch... Chmp....Chumpy...Chimpionshop...No it's too difficult. How about Mendes"

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liverpool let you play and you will get chances ... you have to score though and that's what we've got to do.
Brentford look very strong and powerful where we have a rather small sized team . Oh for a strong midfielder and a cb. Ta Jeff

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see that Brentford are the new West Ham, Villa, Everton or whoever. Take your pick.

Safe mid table teams, nowhere near the relegation struggle who may even challenge for top 7? Yep , sure does look like it already

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, I think there were a few comments that said that already. And I probably wrote one of them. :oops: How about we spy on Brentford, find out who they are scouting, then nip in quick with a better offer. :D

Alternatively, pages and pages of why <fill in player name here> may be disappointing right now, but is going to be a world beater when he is <select as applicable> "a bit older", "not injured", "settled", "a lot older", "in another position", "sold to Liverpool", "all of the above".

"Jeff, Scott, can you read this word here?"
"Eh,,Ch...Ch... Chmp....Chumpy...Chimpionshop...No it's too difficult. How about Mendes"
We tried to buy Toney 7 years ago so maybe they spied on us :tearsofjoy: who knows though maybe in 7 years Silva will be the new Toney

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The new Leeds i think. And I think Leeds might be new Sheff United. But after 5 games the table is just a form table really, it's hilarious how many people get sucked in.
Is it?

The top four as of now is going to be the top four come May, in the opinion of most.
The side in 20th are the side most expect to finish 20th.
Burnley, Newcastle, Palace and Southampton were tipped to be bottom half strugglers. All are 14th or below.
Everton, West Ham, Villa, Spurs were sides many feel could push for Europe. They're all in that mix.

So, it's not that different to how many will see it finishing. You're just hoping it is from our perspective!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We tried to buy Toney 7 years ago so maybe they spied on us :tearsofjoy: who knows though maybe in 7 years Silva will be the new Toney

Brentford bought him when he was already the new Watkins, though. Not in anticipation of him being able to replace Watkins in 6 or 7 years. There is a difference. Development players are not the ones you should be depending on for Premier League safety.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it?

The top four as of now is going to be the top four come May, in the opinion of most.
Burnley, Newcastle, Palace and Southampton were tipped to be bottom half strugglers. All are 14th or below.
Everton, West Ham, Villa, Spurs were sides many feel could push for Europe. They're all in that mix.

So, it's not that different to how many will see it finishing. You're just hoping it is from our perspective!

Yes, was thinking that after watching far too many of the matches today! Something will change due to injury. But broadly, the league has 3 groups - the Contenders, the Safe as Houses, and the Strugglers. The contenders are the current top 4. Then Everton, Spurs, West Ham, Villa, Brighton, even Brentford are looking Safe as Houses. Maybe even a push for Europe from 1 or 2 of them. We are down in the Strugglers, with Leeds, Watford, Newcastle, Burnley Southampton, And Norwich are already gone! Wish it wasn't that way, but trying to be objective, we are just misfiring in so many areas. Main hope is Raul and Neto returning top form ASAP.

When Norwich went a goal down today, the commentary said "normally it wouldn't be such a problem, but for a team that has only scored 2 league goals in 5 matches...it's a mountain to climb, you can see them losing heart". There's 2 other teams that have only scored 2 league goals, too. (one being Arsenal with 2 1-0 wins, not sure but I think they'll be in the Safe group soon enough).

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it?

Finish the season now we can extrapolate the whole season from 5 fixtures!

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do you think we will manage that? It's possible, but will require us to buck up and improve on what we've done so far.
I think actually, an easier run of games and a change in luck will do. If we assume, that we are a mid table side that is going finish the only result you'd expect to be different is the Brentford one. Getting knocked out to spurs on penalties in the league Cup isn't a disaster.

Also a good point to finish on is 2019/2020.

Screenshot_20210925-204734_Chrome.jpg

The table just extrapolated itself from there, and we went down if I remember correctly.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
70% of the posters here when I said we should go after him 2 years ago lol

Sissoko looked solid too.

Benhrama another that was "nowhere near good enough for us". Playing really well for West Ham now. A creative, attacking central midfielder, who'd a thought it? Well, Moyes obviously did. I think there are always the "no brainer", "standout " players from the Championship. He was one, as was Toney, Watkins and Maddison before that. Possibly Gyokeres at Coventry after this season?

(yes, I know we missed the boat on Toney, but if Brentford hadn't got promoted, some other Premier club would have splashed out on him and he'd be playing for them now(Palace/Brighton/Leeds/Watford/Whoever) and bullying defences. Don't know who exactly , but I do know it would not have been us).

"But what of the players who excel in the Championship and flop in the Premier?". Can happen. Don't pay £35M for them if not sure - and it's not as if many players don't excel at youth level and flop at the top, either.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rafa Mir scored again. Is there a sell on clause?

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh, well I hope you're ok
I am not. But not because of this. My dog has liver disease and it's been a hard, frustrating, and draining couple of weeks. I think I'm starting to see improvement though which is making things slightly better.

I am completely fine as far as this goes, I am fine as a fan of David. I am not thrilled as a fan of Wolves with our offensive options. So that's a wash.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brentford bought him when he was already the new Watkins, though. Not in anticipation of him being able to replace Watkins in 6 or 7 years. There is a difference. Development players are not the ones you should be depending on for Premier League safety.
Brentford didn't buy Toney when he was 18. We have no idea what level of player Silva will be when he's Toneys age. In what way are we dependent on Silva for Premier league safety?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think actually, an easier run of games and a change in luck will do. If we assume, that we are a mid table side that is going finish the only result you'd expect to be different is the Brentford one. Getting knocked out to spurs on penalties in the league Cup isn't a disaster.

Also a good point to finish on is 2019/2020.

View attachment 24114

The table just extrapolated itself from there, and we went down if I remember correctly.

Pick 5 matches, any 5....

Yes, I'm not basing my judgement that we will struggle on the league table. I agree that it is far too early and who you've had to play is significant. Brentford has a gentle start (you could argue we were their toughest till Liverpool today) where Norwich had a nightmare fixture list.

Anyway, I'm basing my judgement on the content of our performances so far. I think we need to change something up, the sooner the better, because it does look like a sinking, lack of confidence is setting in after a bright (but unsuccesful) start.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brentford didn't buy Toney when he was 18. We have no idea what level of player Silva will be when he's Toneys age. In what way are we dependent on Silva for Premier league safety?
My crazy idea is that we should have spent the money on someone who is mid table and above level *now*. We were dependent on Silva as the backup to Raul. Yes we have no idea how he will turn out, so should have something in place to score us some goals in the meantime, while we wait and see.

Reactions: Ian

Justawolf

Reaction score
Brentford are doing what Blackpool did a few years back. Flying at the moment but they will settle in the bottom 4 end of season. We will be comfortable in mid table or above. We have more than enough quality players to achieve this imo. Now is the time for us to give our club our strongest support.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brentford are doing what Blackpool did a few years back. Flying at the moment but they will settle in the bottom 4 end of season. We will be comfortable in mid table or above. We have more than enough quality players to achieve this imo. Now is the time for us to give our club our strongest support.
Bit of a difference between Thomas Frank and Ian Holloway!!

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not. But not because of this. My dog has liver disease and it's been a hard, frustrating, and draining couple of weeks. I think I'm starting to see improvement though which is making things slightly better.

I am completely fine as far as this goes, I am fine as a fan of David. I am not thrilled as a fan of Wolves with our offensive options. So that's a wash.
I hope you're dog gets better, pets are wonderful things.

We should just ask Lille how much they want for Botman, Sanches & David

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pick 5 matches, any 5....

Yes, I'm not basing my judgement that we will struggle on the league table. I agree that it is far too early and who you've had to play is significant. Brentford has a gentle start (you could argue we were their toughest till Liverpool today) where Norwich had a nightmare fixture list.

Anyway, I'm basing my judgement on the content of our performances so far. I think we need to change something up, the sooner the better, because it does look like a sinking, lack of confidence is setting in after a bright (but unsuccesful) start.
Screenshot_20210925-211434_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210925-211557_Chrome.jpg
Performance-wise...

We will get goals eventually.

Back
Top Bottom