Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves v Brentford verdict

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Marcal has been defending corners like that every match this season. It finally cost us. Bad defending from the whole defence for the second.

All those attackers against ten men and Brentford still had the best chance.

I've seen some teams waste time over the years, but Jesus Christ Brentford did it more than any other. It seemed like every tackle one of their players went down injured. I suppose that's to be expected. Hopefully, we'll be in a position to do that to them later in the season.

I'm looking forward to some changes on Wednesday. Ait-Nouri for sure.

The wait for a Molineux goal this season goes on.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Barring traore and neves who actually looked like they wanted to play that was an embarrassment. The rest treated like some sort of practice game.

On top of that a ref with absolutely no control of the game who frankly should be removed from officiating, this doesn't excuse the team, this is just as a sporting event.

spot on. BrentFord wanted it so much more .

inexcusable to lose a game based on how much the players want it

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff Shi has ****ed it.

Bruno hasn't been backed.
Still the same **** poor back line.

Penalty and ensuing madness aside, Brentford didn't do anything all game.

We just don't have the players to cope with these sort of physical matches, and that's been the same story for the past 4 years.

Sort the ****ing recruitment out.

not sure the Shi bashing holds up now

this team was the better team against Manu, Spuds and Leicester- so they should be able to compete against Brentford.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Featherweight midfield
Unreliable crosses (marcal and traore)
Carno's circus defence
K (couldnt think of anything)
In need of new players
Need leaders in actions, not just mouth
Going down on current form

Same players, can't polish a turd
Hwang to start
Irritating predictable attacks
Toney wants to play Coady each week

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

this team was the better team against Manu, Spuds and Leicester- so they should be able to compete against Brentford.

Had we actually signed a professional, competent centre back, we wouldn't have put that performance in 100%

Tipton Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Does not work like that! How many times does this need saying.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So all you bright tactical geniuses might be able to help me out here.
Our only threat going forward is Traore. Sad but true.
So he beats his man and crosses the ball.
Six out of ten it sails over the heads of everyone.
We never have anyone far post. Why is that?
With Whang on the field surely there should be an understanding - Whang front post Raul back?
But no one ever ventures into that space.
So - why is that exactly???

I sincerely hope that when we get to the end of the season all mixers aren't unified in saying the same thing:
"Hated Nuno ball, but he clearly knew their limitations and did what was required"

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly the nicest thing that could have done was offering Raul a good pay off and thanks. He is done at this level.
Sadly, I think you are spot on.

Not his fault, that ****ing moron from Brazil is the villain, but he looks completely done.

The old Raul would have 4 goals already, I doubt he will score 4 goals all season.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Compare how solid their back three was compared to ours we look so weak, slow and clumsy whenever they attacked us was really worrying that! Toney bullied Coady today and showed why he isn't a natural defender...

Jimenez form is a huge worry he doesn't look like scoring but not only that compare the closing down of Hwang compared to him Lage talks about closing from the front but today it was half ***** by Jimenez...

Awful performance today..

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Six out of ten it sails over the heads of everyone.
We never have anyone far post. Why is that?
With Whang on the field surely there should be an understanding - Whang front post Raul back?
But no one ever ventures into that space.
So - why is that exactly???

Everybody on this planet knows he's crossing back post except our strikers, who are mystified by it.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bound to be bumps in the road. This was one of those days. The old flaws surfaced again. Coady and the back three generally. Moutinho was an old man again today. Traore was our only attacking tactic. And so on and so on. However, we gifted their two goals. I said after the first corner that Marcal needs to cut that **** out or he'll give away a pen. What happens! He does the same again but this time spotted by the ref and VAR. Completely suicidal tactic to have a defender man handle an attacker in the box. Marcal actually got away with a few like that on King at Watford last week. Not clever at all. Hope to god that's the last time we see that "tactic"! Then Kilman decides to control the ball while on the floor when a proper sliding tackle, or even a foul, or both, would have cut out the danger on the flank. Then when that pathetic challenge failed, our captain bottles it, backing off, backing off, and lets Toney run into our box and with all the time in the world, find his Brentford striking partner, for their second. They had other chances to score because of the Achilles heel that is our defence. Bruno's first real test. I would bring Boly and Yerson in for Kilman and Coady. I would also drop Saiss, for an extra body in midfield or attack. Go to a back 4. That's the weekend well and truly ****ed up!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brentfords record going back to last season was good, i do think people underestimated them, it was always going to be a tricky game. Looked as though Bruno and the players went into the game expecting to dominate them.
Coady struggles against powerful forwards, really the whole defence was rattled. Realy frustrating we didn't do more in the window to strengthen at the back.
Our first really poor performance of the season so lets not go overboard.
Jimenez looked off the pace again, its becoming a problem but might be trying too hard more than anything.
A calm and reasonable summary. Raul needs to be benched to allow the team to function properly. Bring him on second half. Agree with others suggesting Coady also needs benching - although perhaps only in games like today when we actually needed four big defenders and an extra man in midfield. The lack of goals is clearly becoming a major confidence issue for the forwards and it needs to be fixed somehow or we will go down.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does not work like that! How many times does this need saying.

Because blaming the poor attitudes in the squad or poor prep from the manager is harder than blaming a foreign moneybags owner?

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Working from home so took my break to watch the second half. As soon as I saw Traore hugging the right wing I feared the worst as the team become so one dimensional and far easier to defend against. Trincao looked completely devoid of confidence on the other side and looked even less confident when taking the free kick on the edge of their box.
The only decent cross I saw was the one where Traore didn’t have time to think and Raul should have scored. When he had time and we had numbers in the box he just lost his head and made no attempt to pick anyone out.
I would have liked to see Air-Nouri, but Lage can hardly be accused of not going for it, we just created so little.
Defensively we were just incredibly poor.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

We've historically been game raisers against the bigger teams and then struggle in these games. It's always been the same, even during the Championship wilderness years. Don't know why.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given how cuthroat Fosun are, Lage needs to stop losing games....

They are, and Shi will be on that list as well. I really like Bruno, but i still think he isnt the right choice for us at this moment in time. We still need to establish ourselves and for me Benitez would have been perfect to steady the ship for a few years. Its all well and good wanting exciting, attacking football, but you still need results.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Disgusting

Sa 2
Looked ropey as ****

Semedo 5
Didn't do much wrong, actually did ok one on one and i feel so sorry for him making runs in behind but Joao being petrified of playing the ball forwards.

Kilman 3
Horrific play for 2nd goal, gets done twice by Toney. Decent in possession

Coady 0
Lol

Saiss 0
Awful for 2nd goal, took a terrible shot with players in good positions.

Marcal 2
Started ok but wastes so many good positions. Awful penalty to give away. Bruno must really hate Ait-Nouri.

Traore 4
Was disappointing but our only threat. Would have an assist but Jiminez missed a sitter. Put another great ball across the box that Jiminez should easily have gotten on the end of.

Moutinho 0
Appalling. Terrified of passing forwards, gets jogged past by every player in league. 100k a week? Must be having a laugh

Neves 5
Put a great shift in and actually got on the ball. Gave it away a few times and we should have conceded from one.

Trincao 3
Lazy and lightweight, turned a few times but ignored Semedo making a good run. Needs to get his head up.

Raul 1
First half he literally looked like he didn't want to be on the pitch. A bit more effort in the 2nd but missed a sitter

Hwang 5
Looked lively, could have scored but he looked a bit of a threat.

Podence N/A
Didn't have much time but got on the ball a bit.

Fabio N/A

Awful team performance

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least Jeff got to hear some boos that were missing from last season. He has probably never heard people boo before, let's hope he doesnt hear anymore

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh well you can’t win them all, and with that display we won’t win too many.
2 gaols scored so far and the first was an own goal, just unbelievable.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've historically been game raisers against the bigger teams and then struggle in these games. It's always been the same, even during the Championship wilderness years. Don't know why.

Because we fail to foster the right mentality?
Only exception is the Jackett team - but they were all nobody’s so had something to prove

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Predictable and predicted defeat. (0-1)
Utterly clueless.
Can't score against ten, let alone eleven.
I've watched all the Premiership sides this season and we are right up there with the worst.
The team has been crying out to be strengthened and it hasn't.
Relegation battle well and truly on the cards I'm afraid......

geowolf

Reaction score
Terrible really. Brentford sucked the oxygen out of it right from the start and who can blame them. I thought football was meant to be entertainment. I’ve loved Marcal so far but from today don’t mind if he never wears the shirt again. He knew he was a marked man so that rugby tackle – crazy. Trincao awful. As per usual only spark going forward was Adama – interestingly Moore would have lapped up 3 or 4 of his crosses today. Moutinho awful. Hope Bruno makes it up with Dendoncker. Killman schoolboy error. If you play 343 you’ve got to have your wing-backs pushing right up and and fluidity across your front 3 but a shambles today. And then in desperation throw on all your forwards and forget about shape. Bruno-ball love-in well and truly over for me. Going home to watch Season 7 of Bosch to hopefully drown out the bad noise.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No arguments with the team selected,they just didnt perform after the first 25 minutes
Even against 10 men there was a lack of urgency and desire
We stopped the high press after 5 minutes,too slow with transitions,little movement up front,not enough bodies in the box,poor crosses if there were
We allowed Brentford to win all the second balls and put our back line under pressure
They wanted it more than we did and thats poor

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are, and Shi will be on that list as well. I really like Bruno, but i still think he isnt the right choice for us at this moment in time. We still need to establish ourselves and for me Benitez would have been perfect to steady the ship for a few years. Its all well and good wanting exciting, attacking football, but you still need results.
I agree entirely. I'm all for attacking football but 5 games 2 goals tells its own story.

We can all wax lyrical about Brunoball but stats don't lie. I think he's got some good ideas but I don't feel that he's the right man for this squad. I hope I'm proven wrong.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stark difference between some of our players today. Trincao was absolutely appalling for 96 minutes, defence atrocious and unable to mark a single player, nothing up front whatsoever - so bad it was laughable.

But the subs were excellent and traore did what he does well (and not so well).

The real problem is we're starting games without a single goalscorer (raul's current form) in any way, shape or form. Nothing throughout the entire team. You can't win games like that ever, however well you play. That's compounded by playing a championship level set of cbs. It's not saiss was worse but boly has to start matches. And even he was with us in the champ.

We didn't work the keeper again today and we haven't all season. It's embarrassing to see us attempt to cross a ball or take a shot. Marcal and trincao hang your heads in shame.

Last edited:

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, after the opening 3 matches were we played well and got nothing and then a match in which we were poorer but won, we had the classic match showing us to have no cutting edge upfront, and unable to break down ten me, who admittedly did more rolling on the floor than the Moscow state circus. Toney showed what a threat a player can be when they run in a central channel.

Fair play to Bruno for trying to get every attacking player on the pitch, but none of them today looked like they have what it takes. I thought we would do well today, but our typically lightweight displays in the final third have me a little concerned.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Awful game , awful ref, no shots on target with every forward we've got against 10 men..... doesnt get much worse.
Surely Jimenez can't start the next game.
Worryingly I think Bruno feels he has to start Moutinho in every game and give him free reign on set pieces.
Traore again easily our best ( and most frustrating) player.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terrible. Horrible. Zero ideas. Boly needs to come back into this side. That back 3 were utter **** today.
We just seem to rely on Traore. Why didn't Trincao come off, none entity today.

I think this is an issue. Adama is better on the right, but so is Trincao. We are trying to shoehorn both into the side and its not working.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Writing off Bruno after 4 good performances and 1 bad one. You have to laugh
I can only speak for myself but I'm not writing him off so much as doubting his appointment (which I've done throughout) is the right one for Wolves. Irrespective of performances, results suggest we are going to be in a relegation battle.

I hope Bruno turns it around but I do not think the signs are positive.

A good team wins when it's performing poorly. We seemed to have mastered the art of losing good performance and then when we do perform poorly, the ensuing losses feel all the more difficult to recover from.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely infuriating. Actually started the game with good intent but a moment of absolute lunacy from Marcal completely changed the dynamic. We lost our heads and Brentford, lead by the brilliant Ivan Toney, put the game out of sight.

Unfortunately, today exposed the areas we all knew hadn’t been addressed properly in the transfer window.

Back three were collectively a shambles (in contrast to Ajer, Janssen and Pinnock who were great). Neves and Moutinho uncharacteristically sloppy and the front three shown up by Toney and Mwembo

Adama our only consistent threat and his delivery was erratic (yet still miles better than Raul’s and Trincao’s). Still hit the bar and should have had two assists from Raul’s header and nobody gambling when he dinked the ball over the keeper. Others simply have to step up to the plate and produce something. Thought Podence and Hwang looked bright and must be pushing for starts.

Sa 5
Kilman 5
Coady 4
Saiss 4
Semedo 5
Neves 5
Moutinho 5
Marcal 4
Traore 6
Raul 5
Trincao 5

Hwang 6
Podence 6
Silva N/A

Having said all that, it is our first poor performance out of five so we don’t need to overreact and change everything.

Next league game, I’d bring in Ait-Nouri for Marcal, Boly for Saiss and Dendoncker for Moutinho.

Sa
Kilman, Coady, Boly
Semedo, Dendoncker, Neves, Ait-Nouri
Trincao, Raul, Traore

What a ****ty start to the weekend.
I think that’s generous for all of our defence today in truth

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
**** this, I've not seen a performance coupled with a result for so long now I'm going to watch egg chasing for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom