Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Spurs (H) Verdict

• Thread starter Deleted member 5276
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5276

Excellent performance. Great spirit, great fight and f. all to show for it again.

We have to be patient. We're seeing a Wolves side taking the game to top 6 sides and looking by far the better team. Results will come if we continue like this no matter how frustrating the outcome today.

Simply lacking some cutting edge and quality in the box and that comes because there is not enough movement and not enough bodies in there at critical times.

Sa - Good performance and I love a keeper prepared to command his box. Some good distribution as well. 7.5
Kilman - Solid. Did his job. 7.5
Coady - Back to his old self spraying the ball around. Outdone for pace against Son on one occasion but generally speaking can be happy with his game today. 7.5
Saiss - Steady but I thought he should have tracked Alli for the pen. 7
Semedo - OK. We need better quality balls into the box from him when he gets the opportunity. 7
Marcal - See Semedo. 7
Moutinho - Fabulous performance today. Some great vision and really nice to see him commanding a game in this way. 8
Neves - Great through ball to Traore and some top quality work from him. Full of commitment and all we need now is his shooting boots back on. 7.5
Trincao - Still finding his feet and off the pace most of the time. 6
Raul - Not his day but so nice to see him back. 7
Traore - At the end of the day, if its results that matter, we have no points because he has missed two glorious chances two games running. Other than that absolutely fantastic first half even though he ran out of puff a little after 70 mins. MOM by a distance. 8.5.

Subs : Dendoncker - did OK, Ait-Nouri - nice cameo, Silva - needs service.

Bruno - Sets us up extremely well and the goals and results will come. 8

Attwell - On balance, he did OK. If that pen was for us, we'd all be screaming for it even though Alli was looking for it. 7

Spurs - I don't know if that was typical Nuno because I've never seen us really battered like we battered Spurs today. We were always more compact and even though we conceded four a few times, that was more because we had a bad 10 or 20 mins and never a full game like that was. Frankly, Spurs deserved nothing from that game and most of their fans, if they are honest, will know they got away with that today.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t see as ones been set up so thought I would.

Glass half full, we created chance after chance.

Glass half empty, we didn’t take them.

Get past the Man Utd game next week, hopefully get new signings in and settled and then come back after the international break to what looks like it could be a very positive season based on that performance.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When will it click at top?

When will we stop giving silly pens away?

When will Adama use his shooting boots for once?

That was a woulda, coulda, shoulda - with the brilliant way we came forward; restricted Spurs to very little up top and saw a superb display by Max again.

United next will be interesting…

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
****ing fuming still. Played really well and deserved more but when will the ****in FA do something about the refs? You can bet your **** if we have a similar penalty shout this season it gets over ruled by VAR.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really good performance, but I do not share the collective optimism.

Football is about winning games. I do not feel we have that killer instinct.

Until we do, we are going to continue to struggle to score. 42 shots 0 goals tells its own story.

I realise I'm too negative, but I can never feel anything else when we lose. I understand the 'oh these are tough games' thought process but the problem with losing games to Leicester and Spurs (irrespective of the fact that we outplayed them) is that it places huge emphasis on the more winnable games. If we don't win them, things start to go south very very fast.

A word on Spurs. They were absolutely dire.

Dele Ali is a cheat too

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointed still no points on the board but I've never been so calm after a loss. A calmness I put down to knowing how Bruno is transforming the way we play into exciting attacking football.

We showed real attacking intent in the 2nd half against Leicester and we pretty much maintained it all game against spurs today. We totally outplayed them and if it wasn't for that diving ****, we'd have come out with a point.

Goals need to (and will) come. Back our manager Jeff, as we like what we see so far.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Good performance, beats anything we have seen in the last 18 months.

Bit we have to be better at crosses and shooting. With all the possession and good play we should have walked this game...

Let's hope it clicks up front quickly...

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Huge improvement overall but really didn’t test Lloris Most of our shots on goal we’re absolutely unacceptably wide.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Max Kilman is our best defender if Boly is ever his old self again or we get a top CB to partner (and a mobile DM to free up Neves) we can play the 442 Bruno clearly wants. We are so close.
Kilman is going to thrive he looks so good playing out of defence and has saved us on several occasions.

Jose Sa looked good some excellent saves, can't fault him for not saving a pen. That wasn't a pen at all.

Traore is Traore. Love him and he'll be important for us but still inconsistent.

Raul isn't quite sharp yet, peak Raul would of scored. But he's playing well just needs his goal instincts back.

Marcal I hope stays fit, he has an edge to him we lack. I do like RAN though.

Spurs were dour cheats.

T

TheConcourse

Until we do, we are going to continue to struggle to score. 42 shots 0 goals tells its own story.

I realise I'm too negative, but I can never feel anything else when we lose. I understand the 'oh these are tough games' thought process but the problem with losing games to Leicester and Spurs (irrespective of the fact that we outplayed them) is that it places huge emphasis on the more winnable games. If we don't win them, things start to go south very very fast.

Dele Ali is a cheat too
There were so many days under Nuno where we left the ground wondering how we managed it. Over the course of a season we’ll win more than enough games if we apply that level of pressure. It was dominant for a good 70 minutes.

Performances are important. I don’t buy the narrative that it’s a results only business. If it was then Nuno would still be here IMO.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There were so many days under Nuno where we left the ground wondering how we managed it. Over the course of a season we’ll win more than enough games if we apply that level of pressure. It was dominant for a good 70 minutes.

Performances are important. I don’t buy the narrative that it’s a results only business. If it was then Nuno would still be here IMO.
I disagree. Fulham looked excellent in half of their defeats last season. Still a defeat.

Of course I'm emotive right now, but I can never take any solace in a good loss. I want to win at any cost!

D

Deleted member 5276

Conceded first. Didnt see us potentially scoring all game regardless of chances. One injury would decimate us.
You have got to be kidding.

1) Raul - first half 26 mins just over the bar.
2) Traore - 1 v 1 - second half.

Then we had 4 other shots on target and numerous other half chances. Stats say 25 shots and 6 on target.

Wish Stevie Wonder a happy day will ya?

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Dele Ali is a cheat too
Why i dont share your lack of optimism is that Bruno has only been here two minutes and it will take time to optimise a change from Nuno's negative football. You cant change a tight restrictive play overnight to a more attacking and creative one. So give it time. These two opening matches could both have been won which is more than I expected for the first few matches especially with the lack of recruits.
Be more optimistic. Things could be worse..................Hogan could return her.:eek:

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All in all you have to say that was a very very good performance except for the obvious issue we have in front of goal. Bruno comfortably outschooled Nuno today and Wolves were in control from the first minute til the last which is kind of crazy given Nuno knows our team inside out.

Can't really criticise anyone, all played well for the most part with a lapse here or there. Our problem is obvious, we just don't have many goal threats, screaming out for another attacking midfielder to add numbers when we go forward. Hopefully the board really back Bruno this week.

The Pie Poker

Reaction score
This is the same old story from last season. If you concede first in this league. You more than likely lose. We are in trouble.

Bore off pal

We're Night and Day compared to the last 18 months. We were better than Leicester and Spurs today, we can all see the difference.

Only Liverpool have had more shots in the first two games in the PL so far. It's not clicking yet but we're heading in the right direction.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We are the team with the greatest differential between expected points & goals so.

I suppose that's a positive, but it also highlights the issues

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There were so many times last season where our tactics seemed counter intuitive because we appeared to be a much better team when playing on the front foot. Today proved that to be true. Neves and Mouts were both good, Adama was Adama, Trincs grew into the game, Sa very good, Kilman different class...

We just need to be cleverer and calmer in and around the box and we'll be absolutely fine. Great effort today.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another defeat on Jeff shi. Inexcusable to be starting the season with saiss . Nowhere near good enough.

Traore amazing but has to score

Moutinho and neves shooting abysmal

Trincao a waste of space

says something when your keeper is more positive with the ball than 2 full backs and 1 winger

Subs far far too late

ref absolutely abysmal yet again . 3 mins added? No pen? Best league in the world with the worst refs in the world

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why i dont share your lack of optimism is that Bruno has only been here two minutes and it will take time to optimise a change from Nuno's negative football. You cant change a tight restrictive play overnight to a more attacking and creative one. So give it time. These two opening matches could both have been won which is more than I expected for the first few matches especially with the lack of recruits.
Be more optimistic. Things could be worse..................Hogan could return her.:eek:
Good post. I always get like this after a loss. I nearly broke the door downstairs. It's just so infuriating to lose

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’m very much a fan of what Bruno is implementing. High press, aggression, fast transitions.

Felt Sá had a good game, some good shot stopping and great awareness to break off defending corners. Very unlucky with the pen, no need for his apology.

Kilman, calm and assured. Very tidy.

Looking forward to seeing the new faces come in and nailing down this new style of play with a refreshed squad.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Played very well but at the back we have no pace and going forwards our final ball or shot is really poor. We didn't even work the keeper, traore shot apart, yet had 19 shots off target.

Enjoying how we're playing but we simply have to bring in a new player or two. Bruno is seeing the same as nuno - iffy centre backs and no goal threat. Playing staff have to change, tho not by selling traore because he's been superb.

Spurs fans are not going to accept nuno ball if he ever drops a few results - surprised how poor they were.

T

TheConcourse

I disagree. Fulham looked excellent in half of their defeats last season. Still a defeat.

Of course I'm emotive right now, but I can never take any solace in a good loss. I want to win at any cost!
Yeah, we’ll disagree on this one and discuss when the emotions disappear in 8 weeks or so..

We’re miles better than that Fulham team. Boly and Mosquera to come in at the back. We’ll be fine defensively.

Seen comparisons to Brighton which I think are way wide of the mark too. We’re two games in and so Raul is two games back. We need time.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m very much a fan of what Bruno is implementing. High press, aggression, fast transitions.

Felt Sá had a good game, some good shot stopping and great awareness to break off defending corners. Very unlucky with the pen, no need for his apology.

Kilman, calm and assured. Very tidy.

Looking forward to seeing the new faces come in and nailing down this new style of play with a refreshed squad.
I agree with Sa - he was brilliant today. I love how he distributes quickly.

It's a shame that he has a torso for that cheating **** to throw himself into.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah.
We were better than Spurs.
We were better than Leicester.
No doubt we'll be better than Man Utd.
But we haven't got a bleddy clue how to score goals.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Good performance, a CM might quietly be our biggest need.

Sa 8
Terrific, commanding and some good saves at the end
Semedo 7
Nice link up play and got in down the right plenty. Will have an excellent year.
Kilman 8
Superb, driving forward great covering and dominate in the air. Would be interesting to see him in the Coady role.
Coady 6
Didn't really do a lot wrong, as above Kilman playing his position would be interesting.
Saiss 6
Did fine, lacks quality on the ball but not bad.
Marcal 7
Very good, struggles going forward but strong defender. Looks a bargain.
Neves 6.5
Up and down. Some great play, great play to win ball and set up Adama. Also gave it away plenty including for goal, also turned down some simple through balls. Not bad though.
Moutinho 6
Was busy just physically overmatched, not a starter anymore. Nice little renaissance moment when he shuffled through.
Trincao 6
Did ok, nice touches and linked up well without threatening really. Need to see his chance back to know whether it was big.
Raul 7
Did well linking up, an in form Raul buries that chance first time. Getting there.
Adama 8
Sensational at times, should have rounded keeper but he will be a huge threat this year if we keep him.

Fabio 7
Did well, stretched the field over the top (so much quicker) and was strong linking up.
Ait-Nouri 7
So good technically, hope he starts against smaller teams.
Dendoncker 6
Didn't impact game hugely but no worse than Joao

Spurs 3
Dismal, boring Burnley ball. Time wasting terribly. Don't miss Nuno

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Traore now running off the shoulder and in behind looking dangerous. Didnt do it once in 3yrs under Nuno. Thats clearly due to coaches and tactics. Poor coaching from Nuno that is.
If traore learns to take chances, one full season under Bruno with the amount of chances he creates and he will become worth a fortune

Back
Top Bottom