Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno’s gone

Lycaon

Reaction score
Wouldn’t be surprised if this news hasn’t been common knowledge within the Wolves camp for several weeks now, something’s gone very wrong somewhere down the line or it was always planned?
As I mentioned a couple of days ago I suspect Mendes has more clout than Fosun would readily admit to.
Anyway, the next few weeks are going to be interesting to say the least and maybe give us an indication as to which direction the club is going?

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And do you know, I loved reading those quotes from him. Sense of unfinished business. No way was this his decision.

I am really, really ****ed off with our club. Really seriously ****ed off.
I read it in the same way.... however I remember that "one small detail" part sounded strange at the time.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I read it in the same way.... however I remember that "one small detail" part sounded strange at the time.
Perhaps something as trivial as flight arrangements?

Little did he know then, he was about to get replaced by the great former Sheffield Wednesday and Swansea, assistant.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does feel like the end of an era.

Such uncertainty over the players too. Will the Portuguese lads go?

Will Adama sign a new deal?

Will Jiminez come back the same player? Will Neto and Jonny?

Will the loan players become permanent

Feels like the whole starting 11 could change.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
End of an era. Kind of saw it coming, but still a bit of a shock.

I'm glad he has left this way though. I think we were on a declining curve and if it had continued he may well have been removed next season. This way he gets to leave a hero with fans at Molineux to see him off.

Thank you Nuno and all the best for the future.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want to know the real reasons for him going.

He signed a 3 year contract less than a year ago. His whole approach has been that of integrity and a genuine affinity with club, City and fans. Not long ago he dished out £250,000 of his own money to help those in the City struggling.

Either he is a very good conman and not bothered how much he gives away to enable the con (I don't believe that for a minute) or something has transpired which he isn't prepared to accept.

If he was going because he wants to get back to his family and have some time off after this year the official statement would surely have said so. Why wouldn't they?

If he's going to Spurs, or any other PL club, I will be extremely ****ed off with him and would in one move make much of what he's come across as while here questionable.

If he's going because of Fosun policy in some way we need to be concerned. What they started four years ago hasn't been finished and we would be losing probably the best chance for decades to see continued European football and top six PL finishes.

As fans of course without any real say in club affairs we will probably never know unless he goes to another PL club and even then we won't know why he did unless he comes clean about it.

One of the more defining days in the club's history.

Perhaps the next few weeks will give us some answers.

MIKE SLATER

Groupie
Reaction score
Sad news but not really a surprise. I hate it when they say the manager left by mutual consent. Who started the conversation?

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it’s probably a combination of Fosun not being happy that we’ve not kicked on, and Nuno being fed up with the COVID situation.

I wish he’d have given it 6 months under normal circumstances next season to see if we returned to our old selves.

The timing seems very odd, which does suggest he was pushed more than he wanted to go. They probably suggested it and he agreed.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Left by mutual consent"? Usually means the club wanted him gone and he decided to go quietly, rather than force them to sack him. If that is what has happened, I am surprised, as I didn't think FOSUN would have the balls. Thanks for everything, Nuno, some great, great memories. But Wolves is bigger than any individual manager. Onwards and (hopefully) upwards.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel like crying which is odd as I couldn't care less about the last few games, this season in general actually.

I had a horrible feeling at the Watford game and during the Seville games that we had plateaued, that it was as good as we would get in my lifetime, and my gut says I wasn't wrong.

I'd break the bank for Bielsa. Whether Nuno goes to Spurs or not is neither here nor there, we have no idea what has prompted this, so to speculate is folly.

NewOrder306

Groupie
Reaction score
Feels like just after the the Watford semi - hollow feeling and nothing we can do about it. Whatever happens going forward, lets not lose sight of what we had and not what we have lost, it was a great ride and for the most part, great fun, High League finish, deep into Europe and Football emotion I have not seen much of in 50 years of clicking through the turnstiles, so thanks Nuno, you are a Legend now and the Legend will grow..... and while a piece of your heart will always be left in Wolverhampton, there are many thousands of hearts in Wolverhampton that will forever carry a piece of you. Nuno Forever. ....OUT OF DARKNESS .......

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And do you know, I loved reading those quotes from him. Sense of unfinished business. No way was this his decision.

I am really, really ****ed off with our club. Really seriously ****ed off.
Somebody posted pre the last few days they knew he was gone, I’m not surprised, but still shocked, if I’m honest I’m quite emotional about this, l know it’s only football and context and all that, but I’ve literally got tears in my eyes.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Deserves our heartfelt thanks for what he and his coaching staff have done. Just shows what a ruthless and unforgiving game football is. Things hadnt seemed or felt right to me for a while. Whilst it was a shock when it was announced and I am very sad I had a feeling this might happen but not quite so quickly. Hope he gets a great send off on Sunday along with the other coaches who have served us so well.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I totally believe this. I don't think Fosun are willing to spend any more of their own money. I mean, we've seen this in the last two summer transfer windows. The Nuno "small squad" nonsense to me always seemed like him trying to cover for Fosun's unwillingness to splash cash for the Dias type of players necessary to make the big step up.
Then why would they pay high fees for youngsters?

bigbadwolftoo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I could think of loads of scenarios around Nuno's departure. To be honest, I am not surprised he's gone. His demeanour and repetitive comments seemed to suggest an unhappy man in what he was doing.

The key question for me is around the possibility that Fosun have given up 'the project' or at least mothballed it for some time (they are in the entertainments business and that ain't been doing too well this pandemic). Who the next manager is will give us a huge clue no doubt.

Thanks Nuno, all the best mate!

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If this proves one thing, it is that we will never realistically get sustainable success while we have fosun owning the club.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like he was pushed to me, but I hope it was his own decision.
I know many of you might not like this thought but it could be that he was holding out for a nice payoff before making his own choicee to leave. None of us know what has been happening behind closed doors.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quote from a piece by the always reliable John Percy...

“Ahead of their five-year anniversary, owners Fosun have made their biggest decision since the takeover and one thing is patently obvious: they remain as ambitious and driven as ever.

There is no place for sentiment in the enduring pursuit of progress. It is a calculated decision initiated by chairman Jeff Shi, with the intention of creating a new cycle.”

Sounds to me like they all sat down a little while ago and had a chat, both sides put their cards down and this was the decision they mutually reached.

Nuno hasn’t walked. Jeff hasn’t sacked him. A mutual decision to move on to the next phase .

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

“Ahead of their five-year anniversary, owners Fosun have made their biggest decision since the takeover and one thing is patently obvious: they remain as ambitious and driven as ever.

There is no place for sentiment in the enduring pursuit of progress. It is a calculated decision initiated by chairman Jeff Shi, with the intention of creating a new cycle.”

Sounds to me like they all sat down a little while ago and had a chat, both sides put their cards down and this was the decision they mutually reached.

Nuno hasn’t walked. Jeff hasn’t sacked him. A mutual decision to move on to the next phase .

this is the telling line from that article "There have also been disagreements over the transfer policy and even Nuno’s communication"

this is the nub of it for me - are fosun spending or not?

bennymacca

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We need momentum as well as management skills. I am gutted to see Nuno go but I also recognize that many truly great managers (and Nuno is the greatest of a generation for Wolves, in my view) have left the very best clubs when performances drop consistently, not because they weren't appreciated or became poor managers but because the winning formula wasn't happening.
It's a good time to change but only if we're certain of getting a satisfactory replacement to continue the project and do not undermine the confidence of our players so much that there is an exodus of talent. Looks like we are well along with recruitment, given the timing and comments from some quarters. The problem is we are rolling the dice and, just like the sides we are competing with, we might well find ourselves replacing managers in short spells until success returns.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why does it prove that?
Pre Nuno;
Utter mess

Nuno at the helm;
Instant promotion, two 7th place finishes, semi final, last 8 of Europe within 3 years, but one year finishing 5 places below with 5 key players missing across that season, very mitigating circumstances to say the least

And that results in getting rid of the best manager in 90% of our lifetime

That is enough to tell me, with Fosun running the ship, we will never have sustained success.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The long and short of it is just over 12 months ago we walked out of Spurs ground absolutely flying and riding the crest of a wave. An amazing wave that I never in my wildest dreams thought I would see as a Wolves fan.

They covid came along and has completely ****ed us.

Absolutely gutted. Truly, truly gutted. I can’t even begin to contemplate anyone other than Nuno as our manager, just feels plain wrong.

Thank you Nuno. Thank you.

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Absolutely sick, never felt this way about anyone in over 60 years of supporting Wolves, the man is a legend, very sad day to be a Wolves fan, The great man is Wolves and the leader of our pack, totally gutted. It won't be long before the people who wanted Nuno out, start moaning about the new Manager

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m very sorry to see him go. He brought a feel good factor to the club and unprecedented success in the Premier League. He had a presence about him, great integrity and a touch of class that no other manager in the League could match.

For Fosun, this will now tell us if it’s the end of the beginning or the beginning of the end!

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pre Nuno;
Utter mess

Nuno at the helm;
Instant promotion, two 7th place finishes, semi final, last 8 of Europe within 3 years, but one year finishing 5 places below with 5 key players missing across that season, very mitigating circumstances to say the least

And that results in getting rid of the best manager in 90% of our lifetime

That is enough to tell me, with Fosun running the ship, we will never have sustained success.

So we can only have success under Nuno and Fosun get no credit for the appointment or support in his tenure?

Seems a myopic view, but it's yours. Go for it.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't feel down at all. This season was turgid and without big money it probably wouldn't have changed.
Excited for the next appointment.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Worst biz the club has ever made in absolute numbers.
Almost unsellable now,because we payed a disastrous amount of cash for a player that is Championship league quality.
I´ll take Blobby Taylor anyday over Semedo...unfortunately.
Name me one player in the Championship who could play for Barcelona and Portugal.

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno to Spurs ? Surely not. When it was first rumoured, he told everyone that he had a contract with Wolves
and would be honouring it. Also after his comments about the European Super League he would not join one
of those teams - would he??
On Sky sports now saying he is not in the running.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gutted, I think he'd have turned it round next season if his lovely bearded head was in the right place. I was just thinking about his massive donation some months ago: as if it were ever needed this demonstrates that it was in no way tokenistic or insincere, that just isn't the great man's way.

If he goes to Spurs (I think he's got more sense than that tbh) I'd be hurt but wish him luck. Hope he heads home, is content and finds a good job there or Spain.

One silver lining in all this: at least we're all saved the ignominy of a separation on bad terms? Nah, **** that, it's gutting!

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we can only have success under Nuno and Fosun get no credit for the appointment or support in his tenure?

Seems a myopic view, but it's yours. Go for it.
Look up myopic along with sustained success

We were all part of that success, but thanks to fosun, it wasn't sustainable

Utter **** of a decision

And before you suggest it was "mutual", check many of Nuno's quotes of only the last week. He couldn't wait to go again next season. And those kneejerk ****ers have ****ed it.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The bit above from Percy says otherwise to me?

"Though Wolves’s statement revealed the decision to part company was mutual consent, it was Fosun who initiated his exit after months of friction behind the scenes.

Jeff Shi, the Wolves executive chairman, started discussions with Nuno over his future earlier this week before the announcement was made on Friday afternoon, shortly after the players were given the news at the training ground.

Bruno Lage, the former Benfica manager, is emerging as an early front- runner to replace Nuno but Wolves insist that an appointment is not imminent.

Wolves will finish the season in their lowest position since returning to the Premier League and Fosun have been frustrated by the poor performances and results.

There have also been disagreements over the transfer policy and even Nuno’s communication, but the decision to let him depart has still come as a huge shock."

Back
Top Bottom