Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Aston Villa vs Wolves. The Verdict.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fair enough, but why sell Diogo Jota then .... and please don’t say it was because he had a dip in form last season, he’s a class performer??
I think most fair minded fans would concede that Jota was sold to line the pockets of Mendes. Then as if that big agent fee wasn’t enough Mendes then engineered a way to cream more money by getting us to sign Silva.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve just remembered the Semedo bad touch when he was in a real dangerous area in the channel and we had men over in the middle. He kicked it off for a throw in.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll just deal with your last statement . It's not always down to the manager. It's a game of fine margins. Players have a responsibility as well. Players drift in and out of form. Luck has a hand to play.

So, consider this, if one of Coady's chances had gone in or if Saiss had scored and we had won 1-0, you wouldn't be in this type of conversation.

The manager can influence things greatly but he's not 100% in control of everything that happens within a football club. I'll agree he needs to get to the bottom of why we go behind so often and why our second half performances are usually so much better but I said that earlier in the thread.

The reason we are having this conversation is because we didn't win. Thus making the result far from irrelevant.
You could have apologised for misreading what I put instead of saying 'I'll just deal with your last statement'.

Anyway, yes I agree. But that's masking the issue. The issue is that we've not created enough chances from open play again. The issue is we should have conceded the first goal in the game yet again.

Results matter, obviously, but what I'm talking about is nothing to do with results. There's nothing stopping us showing intent from the off. There's nothing stopping us attacking more with these players.

I also agree that it's not all on the manager. But, when these things come up so regularly, he has to take responsibility. It is his fauly by now that we are not showing up for 45 minutes, nearly EVERY week. It has to be.

He has underachieved this season with what he's got.

Again, I'll stress, I'd stick with him, but I can understand why others don't want to.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same issues we've had all season, and what Nuno has tried to address by trying 4 at the back, we don't have enough bodies in the opposition half so struggle with possession and options in attack

I'll take the point but can't wait for this season to end, Wolves need a shake up

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tonight's press conference...

Sunday Mirror hack: Hi Nuno, you Ok?
Nuno: Hi.
Sunday Mirror hack: I'd love to suck you off Nuno.
Nuno: Ok.

The Telegraph hack: Hi Nuno, you Ok?
The Telegraph hack: I'd love to suck you off Nuno.
Nuno: Ok.

Tim Spears: Hi Nuno, you Ok?
Tim Spears: I've moved on now from the once famous Express & Star to the The Charlton. Did you know that?
Nuno: No.
Tim Spears: Ok thanks Nuno.

Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: Nuno!
Nuno: Huh?
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: I'm a proper fan, not gonna suck your dick like these other ****s.
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: Why the **** do we play so **** in the first half of every ****ing game?
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: Why did you send Patrick Cutrone packing,only to give Jose a loan?
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: Why is Dendoncker a ****er?
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: We love Moutinho, but he obviously spent.
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: Why don't you show some balls with your subs?
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: Nuno, ffs, these are problems, where are your ****ing solutions!?

Zoom crashes.
That is a great piece of creative writing hahaha

D

Deleted member 5276

You could have apologised for misreading what I put instead of saying 'I'll just deal with your last statement'.

Anyway, yes I agree. But that's masking the issue. The issue is that we've not created enough chances from open play again. The issue is we should have conceded the first goal in the game yet again.

Results matter, obviously, but what I'm talking about is nothing to do with results. There's nothing stopping us showing intent from the off. There's nothing stopping us attacking more with these players.

I also agree that it's not all on the manager. But, when these things come up so regularly, he has to take responsibility. It is his fauly by now that we are not showing up for 45 minutes, nearly EVERY week. It has to be.

He has underachieved this season with what he's got.

Again, I'll stress, I'd stick with him, but I can understand why others don't want to.
And yet, we've lost once in six games. Results matter. Performances less so.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could/should have been 3 -0 down at HT. Ist half a disgrace. Controlled 2nd half but with little real fluidity. Chances ,as ever, from set pieces and Neto - our plan A and plan B. Can Nuno change this? Do the players give a ****? I'm starting to think, who cares. 1 game less to the end of the season.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And yet, we've lost once in six games. Results matter. Performances less so.
So you don't care about performances, fair enough.

Baffling as to why you've started this discussion with me though, which clearly centred on the fact Nuno should be getting these players producing better football.

D

Deleted member 5276

So you don't care about performances, fair enough.

Baffling as to why you've started this discussion with me though, which clearly centred on the fact Nuno should be getting these players producing better football.
Now who's not reading what I have written?
Enjoy your weekend.
PS. Brighton aren't winning.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With no Raul Jiminez, Daniel Podence, and Jonny Otto for a big chunk of the season, Nuno decides to consolidate!!

Just accept it. We’re mid table, we’re likely to stay up! We’ve had no preseason, and no rest since the summer before last, it’s a jaded squad!

Just accept things are as they are this season! Stop the entitlement tantrums and consider the reality!

We go again in August ..

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Could/should have been 3 -0 down at HT. Ist half a disgrace. Controlled 2nd half but with little real fluidity. Chances ,as ever, from set pieces and Neto - our plan A and plan B. Can Nuno change this? Do the players give a ****? I'm starting to think, who cares. 1 game less to the end of the season.
xG was 0.96 v 2.15, but expect you're right 3-0 would have been a fair representation of the game.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our xG was 2.44 today. Villa was something like 1.04.

Personally think it’s a nonsense stat but just shows how much we create when we actually look to get on the front foot. I just can’t understand why we don’t have that mindset all the time.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our xG was 2.44 today. Villa was something like 1.04.

Personally think it’s a nonsense stat but just shows how much we create when we actually look to get on the front foot. I just can’t understand why we don’t have that mindset all the time.
Vast majority stems from three set-piece incidents, which we obviously should've scored from. We barely created a thing of note in open play.

The second half was very good in terms of how we controlled play and limited Villa, but we still weren't good enough in the final third.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well at least we have become difficult to beat again. Could have won it, could have lost it. Truth is if we have Jimenez we probably win, if they have Grealish, they probably win.

This has been a very poor season performance wise. I find it extremely frustrating, however I have 100% faith that a full summer window and training will see us transformed. We have some fantastic players, but we also have some gaping holes down the spine. We will sort those in the summer and we’ll be back cheering the lads on in August. Bring it on.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Vast majority stems from three set-piece incidents, which we obviously should've scored from. We barely created a thing of note in open play.

The second half was very good in terms of how we controlled play and limited Villa, but we still weren't good enough in the final third.
True, but the set pieces came about as a result of us getting at them. First half we didn’t even try and get at them.

We have to create more thru the middle though, it’s just ridiculous how much it’s seemingly Neto or nothing at the minute

T

TheConcourse

And Everton West Ham and Leicester have took it. That’s the issue there’s teams that have been in this leafgue a lot longer and spending lots more. We’ve got to realise that we spent £35m on a kid, West Ham got in Benrahma and Everton got in James. We are not established yet, and mid table is not as catastrophic as many are making out

The style needs to improve, but let Nuno buy ready made players, if he’s asked to keep developing youngsters then their heads will drop in bad runs and we go back to the type of point gaining play

Again I’ll say it, silva, Vitinha, RAN, Hoever, not one of them would have been a Nuno pick to improve his first 11
We also bought Semedo, Moutinho, Jonny, Rui...

The established players exist for Wolves. We need to find the middle ground between established and revenue generators that will help us to smash the glass ceiling.

Buying Rui and selling him ain’t doing anything to support FFP efforts.

Unearthing Neto, developing him and flogging him is.

Like I say.. huge assumption here.

D

Deleted member 5276

I think most fair minded fans would concede that Jota was sold to line the pockets of Mendes. Then as if that big agent fee wasn’t enough Mendes then engineered a way to cream more money by getting us to sign Silva.
Not at all. I don't agree with that statement in any way.

The fact Jota started well at Liverpool has glossed over the fact he wasn't getting in the team at Wolves and that, very often, attacks broke down because he lost the ball. I believe he was sold for football reasons and that Nuno decided that he couldn't have Neto and Jota in the same team. He chose to go with Neto because, IMO, he's a better technical footballer.

We can all come up with conspiracy theories if we like but I don't buy into it was all a ploy to make Mendes money. Nuno wasn't willingly going to weaken his squad either. I believe he thought that he was improving the balance of it as well as looking to the future.

Do I wish Jota was still with us? Absolutely. I think we'd be higher up the table right now if he had stayed but at the time, it looked like a decent deal for footballing reasons.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not at all. I don't agree with that statement in anyway.

The fact Jota started well at Liverpool has glossed over the fact he wasn't getting in the team at Wolves and that, very often, attacks broke down because he lost the ball. I believe he was sold for football reasons and that Nuno decided that he couldn't have Neto and Jota in the same team. He chose to go with Neto because, IMO, he's a better technical footballer.

We can all come up with conspiracy theories if we like but I don't buy into it was all a ploy to make Mendes money. Nuno wasn't willingly going to weaken his squad either. I believe he thought that he was improving the balance of it as well as looking to the future.

Do I wish Jota was still with us? Absolutely. I think we'd be higher up the table right now if he had but at the time, it looked like a decent deal for footballing reasons.
OK so we wasn’t good enough for us but the League champions would take a punt on him? I’m a Wolves fan as much as anyone but I find it staggering that so many fellow fans do not see the obvious Mendes situation here at Wolves. Laurie & Thelwell gone and not replaced so it’s Nuno, Jeff and Mendes running things. A very similar thing happened at Valencia when board members went and it was just the owner, Mendes and Nuno running the show. Mendes is in charge of recruitment at Wolves make no mistake. Mendes moves his players around to benefit himself. Vithina being a prime example. When did he last play? Is he good enough for the Prem? Will we sign him in the summer? If Mendes has anything to do with it yes we probably will.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I doubt they would.
How on earth have Fosun become such a big company when their being played for fools by people like Mendes!

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing to do with the fact jota was offered the chance to join the premier league and world club champions and they offered a very good fee for the player that allowed us to spend the money on semedo, hoever and silva this summer. No player turns that move down! No club that wants to be self sustainable turns that much of a fee and profit on return...... was great business for all parties.

D

Deleted member 8913

I doubt they would.
How on earth have Fosun become such a big company when their being played for fools by people like Mendes!
Exactly so...both Jota and Doherty were given a chance to get a big pay rise to move to a big six club....this happens to a lot of clubs outside the big six. Mendes represents the player, not wolves.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I doubt they would.
Fosun are in league with Mendes. The Fosun owner and Mendes are friends. Peter Lim (Valencia owner) and Mendes are friends see the trend? I’m no financial expert so I don’t know the ins and outs of it all but they are making money from all this.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I look at that Villa team and I wouldn't pick a single player to be in our starting 11 ahead of any of ours, so why are we struggling so much?

Reactions: DPE

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun are in league with Mendes. The Fosun owner and Mendes are friends. Peter Lim (Valencia owner) and Mendes are friends see the trend? I’m no financial expert so I don’t know the ins and outs of it all but they are making money from all this.
It is how football works at the top table...... clubs get in with agents, look at riola he is the biggest virus in football. Some clubs won’t work with him so in return can’t buy his players.

football is a business now every bit if not more than it is a sport.

someone somewhere is always making money out of the game.

D

Deleted member 5276

OK so we wasn’t good enough for us but the League champions would take a punt on him? I’m a Wolves fan as much as anyone but I find it staggering that so many fellow fans do not see the obvious Mendes situation here at Wolves. Laurie & Thelwell gone and not replaced so it’s Nuno, Jeff and Mendes running things. A very similar thing happened at Valencia when board members went and it was just the owner, Mendes and Nuno running the show. Mendes is in charge of recruitment at Wolves make no mistake. Mendes moves his players around to benefit himself. Vithina being a prime example. When did he last play? Is he good enough for the Prem? Will we sign him in the summer? If Mendes has anything to do with it yes we probably will.
You do know that Liverpool used him from the bench to start with and when he got full 90 mins, he was less effective? Liverpool can afford the odd gamble on players like Jota. We can't and we haven't sold too many players for the amount we got for him. It was good business for all concerned but not, as you succinctly put it, as a cynical ploy to make Mendes money. You can convince yourself otherwise. The earth is not flat.

the 15th Wanderer

Reaction score
Semedo looks a good player. Silva showing signs of improvement. Dendoncker doing his best but is no Willy Boly. We look far better with him in midfield. Roll on the end of the season. Hopefully Raul, Boly and Podenc back soon.

Back
Top Bottom