Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Aston Villa vs Wolves. The Verdict.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It must be tactical to sit back, tire / bore the opposition to death, them have a go at them second half when they are asleep.

It can’t be anything else as there’s no way a team can be so obviously consistently inconsistent.

I can’t really understand it anymore, but the safety first approach only works for as long as we need to be safe. Now we are safe, it’s time to attack.

There’s no way he would get away with this if there were fans in the stadium. Hoddle tried it and it didn’t work out for him either.

Go back to Wolves tradition and play 4-2-4 with Jose an Silva through the middle and two genuine wingers.

We might lose a few, but at least it wouldn’t be so narcoleptic
Homer Simpson had the same tactic in his boxing career.......

Blackpool Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
After riding our luck with the two chances in the first half I think we pretty much dominated until their late chance. I thought Moutinho and Jose both played quite well. Frustrated that Netto doesn’t always drive into the box like Mayhrez for City.

That’s twice we’ve kept Villa very quiet - they’ve been a hand for many this season. We’ve done the same to Leeds.

D

Deleted member LP 3925

He’s had his chance, bottled it against Watford in the FA Cup semi.

Ever since he’s become even more defensive and completely lost his way. Bottled it again in the FA Cup this season (and was lucky to progress against Chorley).

He’s done, he will never change.
Oh, the ‘C’ in ‘Ian C’ stands for ‘Change’.

I’m glad that is cleared up.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It must be tactical to sit back, tire / bore the opposition to death, them have a go at them second half when they are asleep.

It can’t be anything else as there’s no way a team can be so obviously consistently inconsistent.

I can’t really understand it anymore, but the safety first approach only works for as long as we need to be safe. Now we are safe, it’s time to attack.

There’s no way he would get away with this if there were fans in the stadium. Hoddle tried it and it didn’t work out for him either.

Go back to Wolves tradition and play 4-2-4 with Jose an Silva through the middle and two genuine wingers.

We might lose a few, but at least it wouldn’t be so narcoleptic

Narcoleptic, what a magnificent word.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blah blah blah.

We’re dog awful.

You’d prefer to be Sheffield United or the Baggies or perhaps Fulham??

Blah blah blah.

We’re missing our main goalscorer and a lot of the build up play is not being rewarded!
We were also missing our best left wing back till recently!!

Nuno decides it’s a survival season, suck it up!!

Wolvescol

Groupie
Reaction score
Another painful watch , at some point our rousing second half’s will be of no use when we come off 2or 3 goals down , as good as some of our performances have been second half we rarely look like scoring more than once , I know Raul is out but even when he was in the side he cast a lone figure a lot of the time, 2 decent chances tonight , both set pieces , absolutely nothing from open play , there is no chances created from open play , there is no high press like there used to be , we sit so deep that as soon as we clear the ball out it inevitably comes straight back , we are constantly under pressure because we just set up to stay in the game and sit deep , we then hammer the ball forward and expect Neto or traore to roast 4 players and score a worldie . Neto looks up to cross and no one in the box , because we are to negative thinking the opposition will come back an put us under pressure so players won’t get forward and support the wingers , nuno as shown me the greatest football days since John barnwell, but these tactics belong to him and we really have become stale , predictable, and boring , the players are so much better than this showing and some look as frustrated at these tactics as a lot of us feel , I’m not calling for his head but there is no room for sentiment

T

TheConcourse

The counter argument is wait for things to get back to normal. Nuno at least deserves that.
We aren't the only team underachieving this season. Mainly teams with strong starting Xi's and who played alot of games last season.
See arsenal spurs Liverpool and promoted sides.
Is there not a counter that this, more than any other season, could have been the opportunity to sneak above the teams you mentioned because of their complacency?

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought neto and traore should swap wings throughout the match and also get in crosses from the byeline to see if jose has the ability to attack the space rather than spectating as the ball goes from side to side, move the ball to the front quicker as well.
Pleased to see silva is beginning to look more assured for the team. Getting Boly back will be a big improvement as Donk is struggling at ch, semedo is weak in defence but better in attack. Traore isn't really giving his best. Jonny is working hard to get back while Coady and Saiss are OK without being convincing. Neves and moutinho again average to decent as they work harder than given credit at times patricio has looked on his game recently.
The whole season has been surreal and its shown with injuries to a lot of top players while teams of lesser ability have had better results than their talent is usually capable.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are entitled to your opinion but no, Nuno was not forced to play with four at the back. He elected to do so. As regards the teams you mention, are you serious? Have you seen the league table and seen where they are? Only West Ham, with more resources and a full pre-season and signing some seasoned pro's have done remarkably well and no-one would have backed them to do so. Further, every single team in the Prem. this season has struggled at one point or another and we are no different.

Ait Nouri, Silva, Hoever, Kilman, Vitinha and Otasowie have all been given their opportunities this season to go with the not so old "established" players already in the team like Neves and Neto. Could another coach get more out of them than Nuno? We'll never know but I can say that Nuno has a track record since he's been at Wolves of improving players... the list is long.... Coady, Saiss, Neto, Doc, Jota, Raul, etc etc.

As for the comical "this season has been a disaster"... come on. An utterly ridiculous comment in itself. We are 12th in the hardest league in the World. Could we have done better? Maybe, if several of our key players hadn't been injured during the course of the season.

So there we are, you think my post was ridiculous and I think yours is equally so. I do know we'll be playing Premiership football next season and that we probably won't finish higher than our current position but that is not a disaster.
What has the league table got to do with playing progressive football? Nothing. So you mentioning the table is irrelevant.

I didn't mention youth players or whether Nuno can improve players, so that's irrelevant as well.

It has been a disaster. We wanted to compete for Europe, some harbouring hopes for Champions League. Was that realistic? The latter most probably not, but lets not rewrite history. We wanted to compete for 7th. Instead, we've flirted with relegation.
With no Europa League, we thought we'd attack the cups. We lose to a weakened Stoke and effectively throw the FA Cup game.

As I say, in relation to expectation, this season has been a disaster. Obviously, the Jimenez injury is a major factor, but if you took everything as a collective (performances, results, progress etc.) I'd say we'd be one of the next 2/3 clubs behind Liverpool if you looked for biggest underachievers in the league in relation to what we expected.

Reaction score
Fan reaction below over on our YouTube channel.

What's your thoughts on the draw/performance?

#AVLWOL #Wolves #WWFC

▶️:

Attachments

• IMG_20210306_204810_979.jpg
    IMG_20210306_204810_979.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 4

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But isn’t that the elephant in the living room... we’re owned by an INVESTMENT company!!

So, for example, you buy Pedro Neto for £25m and you flog him for £75m!

That’s a successful season for Fosun!

Or am I missing something?
They are an investment company and will presumably realise that the riches to be made from building a team that can play Champions league football regularly dwarfs the profit on selling a player on (who we can cash on in 4 years time if we want or need to, he's only 20).
The club is trying to build a side to challenge in 2 or 3 years. They may not succeed but that's plainly the plan.
We haven't so far shown any evidence of this buying to sell1st team players. The bad publicity around Mendes in the early days has clearly left a mark.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tonight's press conference...

Sunday Mirror hack: Hi Nuno, you Ok?
Nuno: Hi.
Sunday Mirror hack: I'd love to suck you off Nuno.
Nuno: Ok.

The Telegraph hack: Hi Nuno, you Ok?
The Telegraph hack: I'd love to suck you off Nuno.

Tim Spears: Hi Nuno, you Ok?
Tim Spears: I've moved on now from the once famous Express & Star to the The Charlton. Did you know that?
Nuno: No.
Tim Spears: Ok thanks Nuno.

Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: Nuno!
Nuno: Huh?
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: I'm a proper fan, not gonna suck your dick like these other ****s.
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: Why the **** do we play so **** in the first half of every ****ing game?
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: Why did you send Patrick Cutrone packing,only to give Jose a loan?
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: Why is Dendoncker a ****er?
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: We love Moutinho, but he obviously spent.
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: Why don't you show some balls with your subs?
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: Nuno, ffs, these are problems, where are your ****ing solutions!?

Zoom crashes.

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just glad we got a point and didn't lose to them again.
At least second half we were more or less in control and rarely looked in trouble.

D

Deleted member 11332

I think that we have been mugged with some of our signings have we really replaced Doc ,Jota and the main man Raul with players who are anywhere near as good .
Whoever researches these players is not impressive .
Yes injuries have not helped but our tactics seem to be "bore draw our way to safety ".
We will stay up . this squad needs a complete overhaul in the summer imho

Doc replacent Semedo. Miles better.
Jota replacement. Neto - similar.
Jiminez wasn't meant to be replaced.

D

Deleted member 11332

My reply is about pragmatism!! There is the argument that without his best players Nuno couldn’t take the handbrake off because of a genuine fear that we could go down!!

I thought a month ago relegation was a distinct possibility and I suggest Nuno did too!

You want to play ‘attractive’ football when we’re short of our main goalscorer and one of our best defenders and charm our way all the way to the Championship!

We have been safe since we best Leeds.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Tim Spears: I've moved on now from the once famous Express & Star to the The Charlton. Did you know that?

Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: I'm a proper fan, not gonna suck your dick like these other ****s.
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: Why the **** do we play so **** in the first half of every ****ing game?
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: Why did you send Patrick Cutrone packing,only to give Jose a loan?
Wolves fan hacked into Zoom: Nuno, ffs, these are problems, where are your ****ing solutions!?

Zoom crashes.
Riiiight.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Helge’s thoughts, this should be read ..
Villa - Wolves 0-0. Strange that none of the teams managed to score given loads of chances both ways.
I do not know which expectations some fans have to our team. We Are 3’rd year into PL, and based on 2 previous seasons expectations may have been too high.
For me I only want this special season to end, given the surroundings this season have been played at⚽
Still... I want to point out some natural and positives for the state we Are in.
Negatives Are not for me. Dwelling by all that Are not good atm make me feel bad, so I just do not. Reading negative posts in social media is overlooked, as they never offer alternative Solutions to the state we Are in
1. We never looked ready for starting this season. Only ManU played more games than us last season. And they have a bigger squad.
2. Experimenting with 4 at the back, a New way of playing - with intention of more Control through possession should never have been tried to be implemented in Such short preseason we had this year.
3. The injury to Raul. Devastating for our offensive play, with no natural alternative. Probably one of the most important reasons for where we Are now. Nuno always wanting a small squad pay dividends for that now, but it is his and the Clubs choice.
4. Many youngsters have been granted their chance this year. Ait Nouri, Silva, Hoever, Kilman, Vitinha, Otasowie have loads of potential. They Are being given their chances regularly. I can not think of any other Club being so supportive for youngsters.⚽️ They will come good - in time - given challenges in order to their Development Having faith in these lads is a big credit to Nuno.
5. We Are 12th in the worlds hardest Football competition. That is ok by me. Rome were bulidt in more than one day.
6. The injuries.... We have been riding our luck for too long. A fantastic medical apartment have been outplayed this season. **** happen. Part of the game.
7. I do hope for a spending summer transfer window. A mfielder being able to carry the ball forward passing opponents Lines is imperative. More options back 3/4 also.
8. Please back the team bad days as good days. That is imperative for growing in success❤️⚽

Arcadius

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Zoom crashes.
Totally unacceptable language

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is there not a counter that this, more than any other season, could have been the opportunity to sneak above the teams you mentioned because of their complacency?
And Everton West Ham and Leicester have took it. That’s the issue there’s teams that have been in this leafgue a lot longer and spending lots more. We’ve got to realise that we spent £35m on a kid, West Ham got in Benrahma and Everton got in James. We are not established yet, and mid table is not as catastrophic as many are making out

The style needs to improve, but let Nuno buy ready made players, if he’s asked to keep developing youngsters then their heads will drop in bad runs and we go back to the type of point gaining play

Again I’ll say it, silva, Vitinha, RAN, Hoever, not one of them would have been a Nuno pick to improve his first 11

D

Deleted member 5276

What has the league table got to do with playing progressive football? Nothing. So you mentioning the table is irrelevant.

I didn't mention youth players or whether Nuno can improve players, so that's irrelevant as well.

It has been a disaster. We wanted to compete for Europe, some harbouring hopes for Champions League. Was that realistic? The latter most probably not, but lets not rewrite history. We wanted to compete for 7th. Instead, we've flirted with relegation.
With no Europa League, we thought we'd attack the cups. We lose to a weakened Stoke and effectively throw the FA Cup game.

As I say, in relation to expectation, this season has been a disaster. Obviously, the Jimenez injury is a major factor, but if you took everything as a collective (performances, results, progress etc.) I'd say we'd be one of the next 2/3 clubs behind Liverpool if you looked for biggest underachievers in the league in relation to what we expected.
I'm done with arguing with you. It's a results based business. You mentioned Brighton, Leeds and West Ham as progressive teams. West Ham have definitely been better than us this season but the verdict is out on the other two.

"The table is irrelevant" indeed. o_O It is the be all and end all. Liverpool / Man City / Man Utd fans at one end and Sheff Utd / WBA / Fulham and Newcastle fans at the other end will tell you so.

No, our football this season hasn't been the same as the last two seasons. There are good reasons for that but you keep on telling us that another coach would do better than Nuno if you like. You can keep on saying its been a disaster as well but the reality it hasn't. The fact you then think we should be "2/3 clubs behind Liverpool" in just our third season back in the Prem shows what little understanding you have. How many years did it take for them to win the title again? And you think we should be just behind the current Champions. Ridiculous.

PS. I'd go away on a day out a week on Monday if I was you because the team you think we should be capable of challenging is probably going to beat us.... and no doubt that will all be Nuno's fault as well.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I've tried to keep away as it's all so bloody predictable on here. Maybe you could say in the game too of course. Defensive first half, rode our luck (quite) a bit, suddenly dominant second half and should have won it, but ultimately frustrating. People really do think it's a football manager game if they think we're doing badly though. Would you really rather we'd lost 4-3? Would you like another decade in the Chump? People point at losing to Watford and Seville but somehow forget beating Liverpool, Man U and Olympiakios to get there. They say he can't develop young players after watching Neto rip it up again. There's just no talking sense to them.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But isn’t that the elephant in the living room... we’re owned by an INVESTMENT company!!

So, for example, you buy Pedro Neto for £25m and you flog him for £75m!

That’s a successful season for Fosun!

Or am I missing something?
As others have said, it’s not about the return on one or two players, it’s the value of the club, which is far higher now than when they bought us. If we make it to the Champions League, or regular fixtures in the top six, then we become a billion plus club and the returns are even higher. They’re smart and they will invest, but they won’t spunk millions chasing a fruitless dream if we have no chance. We’re safe this season despite some massive headwinds. Let’s see what happens in the summer and beyond.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And Everton West Ham and Leicester have took it. That’s the issue there’s teams that have been in this leafgue a lot longer and spending lots more. We’ve got to realise that we spent £35m on a kid, West Ham got in Benrahma and Everton got in James. We are not established yet, and mid table is not as catastrophic as many are making out

The style needs to improve, but let Nuno buy ready made players, if he’s asked to keep developing youngsters then their heads will drop in bad runs and we go back to the type of point gaining play

Again I’ll say it, silva, Vitinha, RAN, Hoever, not one of them would have been a Nuno pick to improve his first 11

All teams that played less games last season than anyone one else in last season's top 10.

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nuno's a very good coach and he's trying to change the way we play. He's been prepared to give youth a chance but the moment we started sliding down the table, he decided to go with experience and we have picked up points to take us away from trouble.

There isn't a coach alive who has the instant ability to change a team even with a decent preseason and a settled injury free squad.

Nuno has demonstrated that he is tactically astute and that he is prepared to change things. To say anyone who wants him sacked is justified is a complete load of nonsense spouted by people who are impatient and don't want to give the man a chance. They are like a kid at Christmas who constantly wants to open the next present.

Yes, I want us to play more attacking progressive football but there again, every fan wants that. Sadly, we have to live within our means. We are not going to be competing with the likes of Man City for some considerable time. Nuno has proven he knows how to get results that will take us near the top of the table, have the odd good cup run and perhaps European football. To call for a change after the things he has achieved is pure stupidity.
A nice perspective some people should think about...

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As others have said, it’s not about the return on one or two players, it’s the value of the club, which is far higher now than when they bought us. If we make it to the Champions League, or regular fixtures in the top six, then we become a billion plus club and the returns are even higher. They’re smart and they will invest, but they won’t spunk millions chasing a fruitless dream if we have no chance. We’re safe this season despite some massive headwinds. Let’s see what happens in the summer and beyond.

Fair enough, but why sell Diogo Jota then .... and please don’t say it was because he had a dip in form last season, he’s a class performer??

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
I can’t believe how bad our passing is. Every pass the receiving player has to retrieve the ball wasting the second or so that gives our onward attack impetus.
We might as well just let the opposition have every throw in because we can’t hold a throw in at all.
I wish there was something positive to say about our performance.
2 big chances each. Martinez saves our two. Patricio knows nothing about their two.
Dendonker, Jose rubbish. Nuno may as well leave Jose and Silva Silva out completely field 2 more defenders and play every game for a nil nil draw.
Depressing watching our game now.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s fine to a point, but how anyone can assess how a manager is doing in a year like the one we’ve had I have no idea. Thankfully you’re not in charge of the club. We’re safe, and Fosun will know better how than armchair pundits like us.
The fact that only 2 PL clubs have sacked a manager this season says they probably agree it’s difficult to judge on this season too.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm done with arguing with you. It's a results based business. You mentioned Brighton, Leeds and West Ham as progressive teams. West Ham have definitely been better than us this season but the verdict is out on the other two.

"The table is irrelevant" indeed. o_O It is the be all and end all. Liverpool / Man City / Man Utd fans at one end and Sheff Utd / WBA / Fulham and Newcastle fans at the other end will tell you so.

No, our football this season hasn't been the same as the last two seasons. There are good reasons for that but you keep on telling us that another coach would do better than Nuno if you like. You can keep on saying its been a disaster as well but the reality it hasn't. The fact you then think we should be "2/3 clubs behind Liverpool" in just our third season back in the Prem shows what little understanding you have. How many years did it take for them to win the title again? And you think we should be just behind the current Champions. Ridiculous.

PS. I'd go away on a day out a week on Monday if I was you because the team you think we should be capable of challenging is probably going to beat us.... and no doubt that will all be Nuno's fault as well.
I'm glad you'll stop arguing with me, because you clearly can't read.

I said in terms of underachievers this season, we would be in the 2/3 clubs behind Liverpool if you had to list them. Liverpool are clearly the biggest underachievers, then who? Probably us and Arsenal next, in my opinion. That is NOT me saying we should be close to Liverpool.

The progressive football comment centred on this;

"Yes, I want us to play more attacking progressive football but there again, every fan wants that. Sadly, we have to live within our means."

That's what you said. I replied that Brighton and Leeds can play more attacking football with less 'means' than us. So, there's no excuse, these players should be capable of producing more, and the fact they aren't is down to the manager.

On that basis, I think people are justified in wanting change, but I would stick with Nuno.

Wulve5

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Poor first half again !!! Much better second half should have won .
Nowhere near as bad as some are making out.
I’ll take mid table this season all day ****ing long .
Get the fans back in and some new faces and go again, when games aren’t glorified behind closed doors friendlies.

D

Deleted member 5276

That's what you said. I replied that Brighton and Leeds can play more attacking football with less 'means' than us. So, there's no excuse, these players should be capable of producing more, and the fact they aren't is down to the manager.
I'll just deal with your last statement . It's not always down to the manager. It's a game of fine margins. Players have a responsibility as well. Players drift in and out of form. Luck has a hand to play.

So, consider this, if one of Coady's chances had gone in or if Saiss had scored and we had won 1-0, you wouldn't be in this type of conversation.

The manager can influence things greatly but he's not 100% in control of everything that happens within a football club. I'll agree he needs to get to the bottom of why we go behind so often and why our second half performances are usually so much better but I said that earlier in the thread.

The reason we are having this conversation is because we didn't win. Thus making the result far from irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom