Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2021 Transfer Window

D

Deleted member 11332

Not hard is it .

just pass and move . So straight forward . Get moutinho and coady out our side and let’s speed up our play

I don't think it's that easy. Look at our movement off the ball when anyone has it. We are so static. No one breaks lines, no one offers in behind with someone else coming short. It's not the players it's the way they are set up and instructions given.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think it's that easy. Look at our movement off the ball when anyone has it. We are so static. No one breaks lines, no one offers in behind with someone else coming short. It's not the players it's the way they are set up and instructions given.

that's because we play a different way. and no-one complains when it works

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will not spend a penny in the next 48 hrs.
We will get through this horrible rot and stay up.
We will then spend big in the summer.

.... IMO

Spend big in the summer? On kids or players that will actually slot into the first eleven for once!

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree but what will turn it ? Doesn't our static possession come from playing defensive midfielders.
What turns it around - just time ?
Bravery and confidence.... we have a group of very talented footballers, and I can't believe that they have become talentless .
We have to go back to do everything a little bit quicker. We can't break down teams and our play is so slow we allow them to get back into a defensive shape.
Donk is getting forward but does not have the "talent" or the legs for the role so we are reverting to 2 midfielders in front of a back 3/5. ...and bang goes any support for the front 3.
If its by design, then Nuno is looking for 18 draws to keep us up.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Eventually relying on individual magic is going to stop working.

who said anything about individuals? too many players at 5-6/10 instead of 7/8.

nuno & co have been deeply naive and under-estimated what's needed, just thinking the collective magic would come back with new players. nonetheless it's working at those habits, shape and patterns which will get us back on the up.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spend big in the summer? On kids or players that will actually slot into the first eleven for once!
Personally I think he will spend big on a CB.
The youngsters we have now after a season (and a decent pre season) will pick up the baton for next season.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I think he will spend big on a CB.
The youngsters we have now after a season (and a decent pre season) will pick up the baton for next season.

He simply has to get in CB and CM players.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it working currently Stoichkov? Looks a shambles at present to me.

what are you on about? the poster talked about pass and move.... i said we don't play like that, we play set patterns / passes, and that people don't complain when that works

the answer to your question here is no, it quite clearly isn't working..... but to say we should be playing like Leeds when we haven't for the last 3 years is pointless, it's not what we do

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With only 30 points in our last 27 league games, it suggests that it's not been working for some time now though tbf

i am not saying the way we play IS working, i am saying no-one complains WHEN it works (ie the last 3 years)

why weren't you advocating for us playing high-energy pass and move then?

D

Deleted member 11332

who said anything about individuals? too many players at 5-6/10 instead of 7/8.

nuno & co have been deeply naive and under-estimated what's needed, just thinking the collective magic would come back with new players. nonetheless it's working at those habits, shape and patterns which will get us back on the up.

I'm saying that's what our tactics are. Be tight defensively then wait for one of our players to do something special. They've been our tactics for quite a while. Usually Raul,Jota or Adama expected to create something from nothing.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
what are you on about? the poster talked about pass and move.... i said we don't play like that, we play set patterns / passes, and that people don't complain when that works

the answer to your question here is no, it quite clearly isn't working..... but to say we should be playing like Leeds when we haven't for the last 3 years is pointless, it's not what we do

No need for the ' what are you on about? really mate is there. You know what I was saying. I apologise if I misunderstood you. Dont want yet another falling out on here.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bravery and confidence.... we have a group of very talented footballers, and I can't believe that they have become talentless .
We have to go back to do everything a little bit quicker. We can't break down teams and our play is so slow we allow them to get back into a defensive shape.
Donk is getting forward but does not have the "talent" or the legs for the role so we are reverting to 2 midfielders in front of a back 3/5. ...and bang goes any support for the front 3.
If its by design, then Nuno is looking for 18 draws to keep us up.
Yes I would love our team to just get on with it with pace and passing game .
Watching Newcastle they seem to have switched it on yesterday and suddenly they look confident
The only nagging doubt is when I see some of these teams suddenly switch on they have the attacking players . We dont.
We keep pushing defensive players forward and it looks like it's not natural to them . It doesn't flow.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No need for the ' what are you on about? really mate is there. You know what I was saying. I apologise if I misunderstood you. Dont want yet another falling out on here.

good. apology accepted

if you have a pop, don't be surprised if someone has a pop back, JOS. Way of the world

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
good. apology accepted

if you have a pop, don't be surprised if someone has a pop back, JOS. Way of the world

I wasnt having a pop at you to be fair Stoichkov. Apologies if you thought I was.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i am not saying the way we play IS working, i am saying no-one complains WHEN it works (ie the last 3 years)

why weren't you advocating for us playing high-energy pass and move then?

I'm just saying, whatever we're trying now isn't exactly working and everyone's aware of that.

It's quite clear from Nuno's comments before the season began that he wanted to try and tweak our style to be more possession-based, become less predictable, etc.

At the moment it's difficult because it's either play 3-4-3/3-5-2 in an attempt to be more sturdy in defence - and sacrifice our already limited creativity further forward. Or, in an attempt to make us more potent up-front, switch to 4-2-3-1 at the expense of making us shaky at the back.

The issue is - we've played 3-4-3/3-5-2 for that long now that it has become predictable - Nuno has pointed this out himself. Teams know how to set up against us, which is why when we play, we struggle to create anything because it's all down the wings and nothing through the centre.

I feel almost like Nuno's hands are tied at the moment. I think he has this new idea of a way he wants to play with 4atb, but he doesn't have the defence to do it IMO - Neither has he had the preseason to drill it into them. Which is probably why he's reverted back to the 3-4-3 in recent weeks in an attempt to steady things out again.

If we ride this out to the summer and avoid relegation - With a proper pre-season, the additions of a top-quality CB and CM, I'm sure Nuno can get us back on track. (Fingers crossed though we don't lose the likes of Neves, Neto etc. as that's what really concerns me with this season not going according to plan)

Biffana wolf

Reaction score
All the teams now are setup with a front six and a defensive four. The midfield 3 needs to connect between strikers and defence.
Its not rocket science
Having coady sitting 15 yards in our own half neves on the halfway line achieves zero.
Nuno’s idea of being compact is shot, all who put on a performance will win more games than being defensive and hoping you hit on the break game after game.
Traore no goals for a year, a midfieod with little goals.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I would love our team to just get on with it with pace and passing game .
Watching Newcastle they seem to have switched it on yesterday and suddenly they look confident
The only nagging doubt is when I see some of these teams suddenly switch on they have the attacking players . We dont.
We keep pushing defensive players forward and it looks like it's not natural to them . It doesn't flow.
Our attacking intent has never come through the middle with an attacking midfielder ( which confuses me as to many posters on here saying we are crying out for one) always from the combinations created by the wide striker and wing back.
This new possession based game was ,I think, based on playing through midfield to then bring in the width (as opposed to Coadys direct diagonal, which was getting found out)
Problem being that with no pre season and severe dip in performances (from the off let's be honest) we had no time to implement/work on it.
Nunos "default " defence first, attitude and the confidence of players being shot to bits, is now playing out.
We need to get to 38 points ASAP and draw a line under this ****fest of a season.
As a slight side note... the lack of fans is playing a huge part.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Newcastle make enquiries for Ntcham at Celtic and Idrissa Gueye at PSG

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to get to 38 points ASAP and draw a line under this ****fest of a season.
Agreed.

And then what? Big squad? Small squad? 4 at the back? 5 at the back? More £35M teenagers for the future? Increase stadium size? Or carry on as we are and scrape to 38 points again next season?

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed.

And then what? Big squad? Small squad? 4 at the back? 5 at the back? More £35M teenagers for the future? Increase stadium size? Or carry on as we are and scrape to 38 points again next season?
Who knows.

But isn't that part of being a Wolves supporter?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Give it up JOS we have been here before. The window will end with a whimper not a bang. Cutrone to Valencia. If Saiss goes then the club clearly want to shorten the odds on our relegation. Let's be thankful for now that Jose came in. He will make a difference hopefully. If he gets injured however we are in deep **** again.

Last edited:

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I bloody hope we have a surprise lined up for tomorrow.

Timberrrr

Reaction score
Ill go even further having just watched Brighton beat spurs. You tell me a team at this moment in time who looks worse than us?
Weve lost our identity and i dont see many of the players proud enough of wearing the gold n black to roll their sleeves up and fight their way out of this

Back
Top Bottom