Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

For ****'s sake... sign a striker and stop making excuses

R

reanswolf

So why did we pay 37m on a long term investment ?
It makes no sense

completely the wrong purchase
This exactly.

Where is the coordinated, strategic approach?

You have a pot of money to spend and you utilise 50% of it on a gamble for the future.
Crazy.
£18m on Vitinha who may well have great promise, but you can't neglect the present.
That is not mandatory and I suspect he will go back.

Can't blame Fosun as they have pumped money in, but the way we have mis-spent money in recent seasons is staggering: -

IN: £150m!!
Fabio £37m huge gamble (stupid gamble)
Cutrone £17m misfit (poor buy)
Vitinha £18m gamble (jury's out but no way worth £18m)
Marcel £3m back-up defender (sensible back up buy)
Semedo £35m defender (jury's out, good attacking,poor defending)
Hoever £10m promising defender (good buy)
Podence £17m attacking midfielder (good buy value for money)
Neto £12m great buy

OUT: £57m
Jota £45m
Doherty £12m

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This exactly.

You have a pot of money to spend and you utilise 50% of it on a gamble for the future.
Crazy.
£18m on Vitinha who may well have great promise, but you can't neglect the present.

Can't blame Fosun as they have pumped money in, but the way we have mis-spent money in recent seasons is staggering: -

Neto £12m great buy

Jota £45m
Doherty £12m
Nice selection of a time period to fit an agenda... so no Neves, Jota, Raul, Mouts and Rui in... Oh, and not even full inclusion of everything in that time period eg Jordao in....

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember how nearly everybody other than the happy clappers said we'd be rapid in the transfer market as soon as the window opened. Well once again it hasn't happened with zero transfers after 2 weeks, something isn't right it just isn't.

It's called a pandemic and a requirement to adhere to the FFP wrist slap we got in the summer (Yes I know it's been "relaxed" but I'm also pretty sure their requirements to meet their orders are in place).

Liverpool - Need a CB but aren't buying
City - Only business they're doing is renewing KDB
Real Madrid - not doing any incoming business

Look around the world and see that buying players is just not high on agendas whilst there isn't a reliable weekly source of income, even to the bigger clubs.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This exactly.

Crazy.

Neto £12m great buy

Jota £45m
Doherty £12m

Vitinha is only on loan, not sure he should be an in as we haven't paid a fee for a permanent transfer? Neto and Jordao were a combined £22 mill weren't they?

There's more outs than that as well, If you include Podence as an in you need to include Costa and Cavaleiro as outs, some minor moves out too including Bennett, loan fees for MGW, Cutrone, Vinagre, top that up a bit

I'm not saying Fosun haven't pumped money in as they obviously have but the last few seasons transfer cash in and TV money have paid for our signings rather than Fosun, and the policy is obviously to sign talent that will appreciate and will be worth more in a few years time, it just means we are suffering now

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'd have to disagree with this. I think Vitinha has shown glimpses of class and the kind of natural ability that can't be trained. I also think his movement is really intelligent - he has a real footballer's brain.

In a couple of years time, I'd be willing to bet he's an incredibly important player for the team. Maybe sooner, if Nuno would stop being so stubborn and actually give him a run in the starting XI.

Spellbinder

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are still the financial aspects of the UEFA FFP sanction from last season which we have given an undertaking we will rectify this season isn't there ? That could have an impact on what's available to spend or for wages...It wasn't just a reduction in the squad size if we qualified for Europe again.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another day with no new striker or even any sign of one. Another day closer to the dream of Jeff Shi lining up as our no9 in the very near future.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from all 3 of them are getting game time, not sitting on their hands.

Our transfer strategy is different to villa and Everton or do you not hear what comes out of the club?

I've not heard anything come out of the club for a while to be fair. When did Shi last make any sort of comment?

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He wants to, they won't spend.

Just take a step back and look at things logically. Nuno sold Cutrone at almost the first opportunity. He was gone, and everyone thought it was a permanent deal.

Fast forward and he's now the answer? You'd be dubious if Cutrone had gone on to score 15-20 goals in a season. The fact he did absolutely nothing in Italy means it's a joke.

Nuno doesn't want this.

He also won't want MGW back. He was sent on loan to Swansea, so he's deemed not good enough, or perhaps not ready. He played FIVE Championship games. That is not enough to merit a recall.

Nuno wouldn't want him back either.

He isn't getting backed in the market.
Fosun starting to lose faith with him by not backing?

dizzydonut

Groupie
Reaction score
This exactly.

Crazy.

Neto £12m great buy

Jota £45m
Doherty £12m
Helda costa - want he a loan until 2020?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Can't see us doing much business this window, just like most of the Premier League teams. No one is spending big bucks in this window the pandemic and I can understand why. There are more pressing concerns at the moment.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's been plenty over the last few years of what our transfer strategy is

What about this season? I am interested about the here and now. Just seems a lot of silence and uncertainty at present to me.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't see us doing much business this window, just like most of the Premier League teams. No one is spending big bucks in this window the pandemic and I can understand why. There are more pressing concerns at the moment.

I can understand that to a point but our striker options are to say the very least worrying.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boulaye Dia available for £10m according to Sky, with West Ham apparently keen.

Not saying he'd join us over them, but this is the sort of deal we should be all over IMO. A low price in modern football, 24 years old, scored 12 in 17 in France top division, quick, strong.

There must be more options like him, if people didn't think he'd be a good signing.

Again, he pays for himself in this instance if we finish four places higher this season.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't think you need to spend big bucks to get a stop gap who will make a difference. I read a Millwall report and they've currently got Bodvarrson, Kenneth Zahore (on loan) and Matt Smith - not suggesting we should be acquiring any of those in particular but just an example as they are all familiar names with a history for/against us - think any of those would have contributed a lot more than we've seen in the last few games. That's just one team I've picked out - It shouldn't be too difficult to find someone at a low cost. Actually surprised when I read Zahore is only 26 and remember him causing us all sorts of problems when at Cardiff. Hope Allardyce doesn't recall him to play against us! Millwall fans really rate him.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can agree with points from both sides of this mass debate, but there is one thing I am certain of - you cant start otasowie or Morgan Gibbs white as your centre forward and expect to win games.
Also fabio Silva cant start alone up front he is miles away from the standard now, not attacking that cross against Everton just summed up where he is at

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree with this. I think Vitinha has shown glimpses of class and the kind of natural ability that can't be trained. I also think his movement is really intelligent - he has a real footballer's brain.

In a couple of years time, I'd be willing to bet he's an incredibly important player for the team. Maybe sooner, if Nuno would stop being so stubborn and actually give him a run in the starting XI.
I feel the same too. Sadly I’m not sure Nuno is convinced.

We have very few players who’s first thought is to look forward and Vitinha is one of them.

I was really disappointed he didn’t start against Everton and then when he was given just 5 mins at the end.

jim_boner

Groupie
Reaction score
To be fair, all of the massive uncertainty caused by a global pandemic is a pretty **** excuse.
Especially when all other clubs across the world are spending billions. :rolleyes:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100% this.

For whatever reason (those have already been debated elsewhere), Fosun are reluctant to spend and have been for a while (hence NET zero spend last summer).

Nuno needs our full 100% support. That includes from you Mssrs Guo and Shi.
Wolves bought players.....that money is GONE.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we dont sign a proven striker I think we will be relegated or at best come very close to it and then lose our better players in the summer who see we have no ambition.

It is vital this is addressed , simply no excuses.
There is most likely many valid reasons. I can think of several.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What about this season? I am interested about the here and now. Just seems a lot of silence and uncertainty at present to me.
Do you expect him to come out and say "the transfer strategy is the same as it's always been". That'll be a very short press conference to say what we already know

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you expect him to come out and say "the transfer strategy is the same as it's always been". That'll be a very short press conference to say what we already know

I'd like him to come out and at least explain the strategy this season and going forwards. Silence from him for months now and I think quite a few would like some clarity.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
He spoke at the beginning of this seasonsand to him there’s nothing new to say.

There’s no fans going to games to interact with

Nuno signed a new contract as did players like Coady Neto etc none of which would if there was ‘something wrong behind the scenes ‘

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Valid questions. Because the Fosun we have now doesn't appear to be that same Fosun who did the above. Those points are all how it *used* to be, but are not applicable over the past year or so. e.g. the best footballing ability is leaving (Jota), not coming in. The team looks less fit than opponents, leaking goals and looking thoroughly burnt out at end of matches where they used to finish strongly. Is Jeff Shi even in England now? Seems very quiet.

How you come to the conclusion Fosun are not doing what they did is a mystery and based on a twelve month period when we saw a pandemic. Jeff Shi has always taken the low key approach. We also spent considerable sums on Silva/Semedo etc etc. So to conclude that they are 'not the same' doesn't hold up.

Transfers are, and always have been, open to question. It will continue. Two players who contributed greatly have left. One had spent ten years here, the other didn't fit in with Nuno's ideas for the future. Another issue which will always be the case.

Podence. Neto, Jimenez, Traore, Neves, Moutinho, Dendonker, Boly, Jonny, Coady, Saiss are all still here with one or two signing new contracts recently. Jota and Doc are not 'better' players than those who have taken up the roles. Just different types of player of the same quality.

They are fit enough and the 'burnt out' conclusion seems another strange conclusion based on little evidence.

For the first time since Nuno arrived the upward mobility has stalled a tad. To think it never would is naive considering the speed of the rise. We are not playing badly either. We are a club that plays youth and that's to be applauded and is a sound way to build. It's something that in days past was always the case.

This approach means that there will be mistakes, especially when the seasoned players get injured. For the first time since Nuno arrived we are having a bad season for injuries. Jimenez injury was one of those once in a blue moon types of nasty injuries. He might never fully recover from it in terms of football.

In the last eight games we have scored an average of I goal a game. Those who say we 'can't score goals' without Jimenez are wrong. We just miss his seasoned ability. To lose him with such a freak injury was/is pure ill fortune.

In the last eight games we have conceded 14 goals with four coming in the Liverpool game and 3 against Brighton. Take those two out and we have played Chelsea, Spurs and United conceding just 3 goals in those three games. We beat Chelsea. drew with Spurs and narrowly lost to United. Hardly the stuff of nightmares considering the high percentage of young and inexperienced players being given game time and a pretty awful injury spell.

I don't yet see a 35.000.000 player in Silva and it may well be he is one who promised much and didn't live up to this. This is always a possibility and always will be. To suggest 'Fosun are not the same Fosun when they have made funds available for such a buy is plain daft. If he doesn't work out it will be down to coaching and recruitment not Fosun's commitment. He is just 18 so plenty of time yet.

Neto on the other hand is just 20 and already doing the business. Just one example of youth policy working.

All of those games were in the league and we just beat Palace 1-0 to progress in the FA Cup.

Burford T Justice

Reaction score
If, and it is a big if, l was to believe that story and l was to speculate l would imagine the same thing that caused Arsenal and Spurs to borrow money from the Govt. Namely that 12 months worth of loss of income has completely trashed the club's finances.
But that doesn't apply to wolves because we're wolves and as such the global economy going largely down the pan doesn't affect us. Fosun made money in one of their other silos so why isn't money being taken out of pharmaceutical industry where it isn't needed and put into the football club who "needs" another striker because the 2 reserve ones they have who cost £53m aren't currently enough to cover the other one who cost £32m etc.

It's a valid point that we actually need another one but similar to as you say, football clubs the world over are being financially ruined by the loss of income revenues as a result of this pandemic. Why would wolves be different.

I'd love use to sign a striker but I don't think it's a Nuno is being lied to and Fosun just don't want to spend. It's a case of the club who were already in trouble with uefa ffp and needed to break even this year simply have to tighten the purse to ride out these unprecedented times.

Do hope I'm wrong though and we get someone through the door on a 6 month loan. I'd just about accept Lewandowski now I think.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jimenez, Silva, Cutrone, Mir, Bonatini, Campana. We have six senior out-and-out strikers on our books, without even looking at wide forwards who could play through the middle, or the U23s. The money has been spent, but the recruitment and utilisation has been poor.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How you come to the conclusion Fosun are not doing what they did is a mystery and based on a twelve month period when we saw a pandemic.

Just watching our matches over the past few months compared to Nuno's previous seasons. Something's changed. We're not just a "tad" lower in the table. Our form is not just a "tad" worse than it was. We are currently performing at a level that is "relegation form". That's a big drop from 7th, isn't it ? This can't be hand waved away as something to do with fixture order. It's not just the past 2 or 3 matches - it's the past 10 or 11 - a quarter of a season, a reasonable data set. Other teams that we are assured are "poor" and "relegation candidates". liek Burnley and Brighton, have been the better team than us recently. Something has changed, so I'm just trying to rationalise what that is. The mystery to me is why some can't see what is blatantly obvious by watching our matches.
And Jeff Shi seems far quieter to me, maybe I've missed his regular public statements?

Injuries? Well, yes, of course. But that's new it's own way. 3 seasons with very few. Now they are piling up. Although you do suggest that we weren't scoring goals *before* Raul's injury either. Your other stats amount to "if we simply eliminate the matches where we let in lots of goals, then we haven't let in lots of goals". You know Sheff Utd can make exactly the same argument? :)They have injury problems too. Plenty went on about how too many matches with a small squad could lead to this kind of thing. It was hand waved away, of course...and now what's happening? You can't solve problems if you won't admit you have them. The hand wavers then come along when the problems hit and say "well, that's all very good with hindsight, pwuh pwuh pwuh".

Any ideas on what has changed, then? Where are the marquee signings since the first season in the Prem when we signed Traore, PAtricio, Moutinho? Probably only Semedo would count as at that level since then. OK, we have spent loads on youth players who will be developed for the future. But players who are not Premier League level *now* will not keep you in the league now. They will be ultimately outperformed by Brighton, Burnley, Newcastle etc.

That spend needs to be balanced with experienced players. Like Marcal, only capable of playing more than 1 match a month,without their legs seizing up, perhaps. And in positions where we only have 1 real player. Striker, for example. "Goal scorers are hard to find...carry on as we are" . Ah well, guess what happens if you don't find one?

Last edited:

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watching our matches over the past few months compared to Nuno's previous seasons. Something's changed. We're not just a "tad" lower in the table. Our form is not just a "tad" worse than it was. We are currently performing at a level that is "relegation form". That's a big drop from 7th, isn't it ? This can't be hand waved away as something to do with fixture order. It's not just the past 2 or 3 matches - it's the past 10 or 11 - a quarter of a season, a reasonable data set. Other teams that we are assured are "poor" and "relegation candidates". liek Burnley and Brighton, have been the better team than us recently. Something has changed, so I'm just trying to rationalise what that is.

Injuries? Well, yes, of course. But that's new it's own way. 3 seasons with very few. Now they are piling up. Although you do suggest that we weren't scoring goals *before* Raul's injury either. Your other stats amount to "if we simply eliminate the matches where we let in lots of goals, then we haven't let in lots of goals". You know Sheff Utd can make exactly the same argument? :)They have injury problems too.

Any ideas on what has changed, then? Where are the marquee signings since the first season in the Prem when we signed Traore, PAtricio, Moutinho? Probably only Semedo would count as at that level since then. OK, we have spent loads on youth players who will be developed for the future. But players who are not Premier League level *now* will not keep you in the league now. They will be ultimately outperformed by Brighton, Burnley, Newcastle etc.

That spend needs to be balanced with experienced players. Like Marcal, only capable of playing more than 1 match a month,without their legs seizing up, perhaps.

Do you think we are going to be relegated? No 'if this or that happens'. Are we going to be relegated?

If you want to go back to add three games to those I mentined, 11 games. add a 2-1 win against Arsenal, a 1-1 draw at Southampton and a narrow 1-0 defeat against Leicester. W1 D1 L1. Goals for 3 against 3. Not PL top four stuff but Sheffield United? Really?

Last edited:

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How you come to the conclusion Fosun are not doing what they did is a mystery and based on a twelve month period when we saw a pandemic. Jeff Shi has always taken the low key approach. We also spent considerable sums on Silva/Semedo etc etc. So to conclude that they are 'not the same' doesn't hold up.

Transfers are, and always have been, open to question. It will continue. Two players who contributed greatly have left. One had spent ten years here, the other didn't fit in with Nuno's ideas for the future. Another issue which will always be the case.

Podence. Neto, Jimenez, Traore, Neves, Moutinho, Dendonker, Boly, Jonny, Coady, Saiss are all still here with one or two signing new contracts recently. Jota and Doc are not 'better' players than those who have taken up the roles. Just different types of player of the same quality.

They are fit enough and the 'burnt out' conclusion seems another strange conclusion based on little evidence.

For the first time since Nuno arrived the upward mobility has stalled a tad. To think it never would is naive considering the speed of the rise. We are not playing badly either. We are a club that plays youth and that's to be applauded and is a sound way to build. It's something that in days past was always the case.

This approach means that there will be mistakes, especially when the seasoned players get injured. For the first time since Nuno arrived we are having a bad season for injuries. Jimenez injury was one of those once in a blue moon types of nasty injuries. He might never fully recover from it in terms of football.

In the last eight games we have scored an average of I goal a game. Those who say we 'can't score goals' without Jimenez are wrong. We just miss his seasoned ability. To lose him with such a freak injury was/is pure ill fortune.

In the last eight games we have conceded 14 goals with four coming in the Liverpool game and 3 against Brighton. Take those two out and we have played Chelsea, Spurs and United conceding just 3 goals in those three games. We beat Chelsea. drew with Spurs and narrowly lost to United. Hardly the stuff of nightmares considering the high percentage of young and inexperienced players being given game time and a pretty awful injury spell.

I don't yet see a 35.000.000 player in Silva and it may well be he is one who promised much and didn't live up to this. This is always a possibility and always will be. To suggest 'Fosun are not the same Fosun when they have made funds available for such a buy is plain daft. If he doesn't work out it will be down to coaching and recruitment not Fosun's commitment. He is just 18 so plenty of time yet.

Neto on the other hand is just 20 and already doing the business. Just one example of youth policy working.

All of those games were in the league and we just beat Palace 1-0 to progress in the FA Cup.
What a truly sensible, well-argued post.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, all of the massive uncertainty caused by a global pandemic is a pretty **** excuse.
Especially when all other clubs across the world are spending billions. :rolleyes:

Yes, it's affected all clubs so badly. It's highly likely that nobody will be able to win the league this season :) And the French league has been so badly affected, predictions are that the highest team will finish only 6th, with nobody in positions 1 to 5.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you think we are going to be relegated? No 'if this or that happens'. Are we going to be relegated?

If you want to go back to add three games to those I mentined, 11 games. add a 2-1 win against Arsenal, a 1-1 draw at Southampton and a narrow 1-0 defeat against Leicester. W1 D1 L1. Goals for 3 against 3. Not PL top four stuff but Sheffield United? Really?

Not this season, because we got enough points at the start. But IF we continue our current trajectory, we will be in a relegation battle next season.

That includes, IF a couple of senior players leave and are either not replaced, or replaced with teenagers who are "for the future". As we did last summer...and the one before.

PS I'll use the word IF if I feel like it. ;) It's a useful word when contingency planning. Imagine the club management discussing "What if we get injuries?". "Sorry, you can't use the word IF. WILL we get injuries?". "OK. fair enough, I can't say that we will definitily get injuries, so I will remove that possibility from our plans".

And yes, we will definitely get relegated. All that remains to be seen is exactly which season.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom