Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Those Little Things You Remember.....

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
As a fallout of watching some Maradona clips on YouTube I meandered into some 80's World Cup moments for a bit of nostalgia. Now I'm a man who regularly forgets what he's come upstairs for, however, as I watched clips where the goals were building up I found myself not only picturing the goal but my inner voice stared telling me little details like "Oh this is the one where...."

30 odd years on I instinctively knew:
This is Negrete's scissor kick, where his team mate pulls his hair when he's celebrating.​
Oh yeah, when Socrates roll's this past Dino Zoff watch out for the puff of white dust come up off the goal line​
Of course, Strachan wasn't big enough to leap over the advertising hoardings when celebrating this one​

My guess is there's a few on here that are now replaying these goals in their heads simply from those minor details. Beggars the question, however is there any small detail that you instinctively remember and immediately associate with a goal that have long since passed into history but will always be remembered?

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One goal against us that always sticks in my mind is the one in 1972 when we played Leeds who only had to draw to win the league but we beat them 2-1. That was the night of 53,000 in the ground but really more like 65,000.
It was Bremner at the South Bank end who put his shot into the top of the net then slid in the mud directly towards me and appeared to be looking right at me. I can still see his smiling face now, fortunately that goal wasn't enough.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steve Sedgeley kissing Don Goodman smack on the lips after his header vs Portsmouth in 1997/98

To which Goodman seems to mouth .... 'Don't do that'

Remember the game well for Simon Osborne's impeccable chip on the 2nd goal.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Steve Sedgeley kissing Don Goodman smack on the lips after his header vs Portsmouth in 1997/98

To which Goodman seems to mouth .... 'Don't do that'

Remember the game well for Simon Osborne's impeccable chip on the 2nd goal.
I was watching it in a pub in Ballymun in Dublin, having go over for the weekend because a Hen Party my sister was on had had a late drop out and I got the ticket for free!

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you watch extended highlights of the playoff final vs Sheff United in the opening couple of mins we break free with Kennedy on the overlap and Miller doesn’t pick him out, Miller gets an earful for being greedy. Moments later an identical move opens up and Miller lays it off to Kennedy... and the rest is history.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves fan putting a carrot into WBA Graham Roberts hand at Molineux.
Remember that one well, Bobby Gould ran on and frogmarched him off while he was giving the universal w****r sign to him. Mind you, I'm convinced that fan saved a riot. I remember that being one of the most evil atmosphere's at a game I've ever been to and I was convinced it was going to kick off. That incident punctured the atmosphere a bit

Always remember that night as well, it was a mate's 21st birthday and we had a pub crawl from Dudley to Sedgley via Gornal. By the time we got to the Britannia the Wolves contingent and Albion contingent were on opposite sides of the road shouting abuse at each other

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At first glance, I thought this thread was for all the lady Wolves fans who wanted to discuss the ....

oh never mind. :oops:

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tommo not being able to reach the ball Vs palace
Muscat chucking dirt at Hasselbank
Keith Curle (I think) slide tackling a linesman at the Poorthorns

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a fallout of watching some Maradona clips on YouTube I meandered into some 80's World Cup moments for a bit of nostalgia. Now I'm a man who regularly forgets what he's come upstairs for, however, as I watched clips where the goals were building up I found myself not only picturing the goal but my inner voice stared telling me little details like "Oh this is the one where...."

30 odd years on I instinctively knew:
This is Negrete's scissor kick, where his team mate pulls his hair when he's celebrating.​
Oh yeah, when Socrates roll's this past Dino Zoff watch out for the puff of white dust come up off the goal line​
Of course, Strachan wasn't big enough to leap over the advertising hoardings when celebrating this one​

My guess is there's a few on here that are now replaying these goals in their heads simply from those minor details. Beggars the question, however is there any small detail that you instinctively remember and immediately associate with a goal that have long since passed into history but will always be remembered?
Haha..I fully understand what you mean..:)

I had forgotten all about Negretes fantastic scissor...not reallt though,I just had someone to write about it to remmeber it rather vividly..I don´t even need Youtube for that one.Was supposed to be Hugo Sanchez at the time doing this though..my thoughts in 86.
Hugo Sanchez was a great killer.A player like that is mostly forgotten nowadays...even Karl Heinz Rummenigge..what a player THAT was back in the days.
Most will be forgotten..but Diego Armando Maradona will be remembered.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you watch extended highlights of the playoff final vs Sheff United in the opening couple of mins we break free with Kennedy on the overlap and Miller doesn’t pick him out, Miller gets an earful for being greedy. Moments later an identical move opens up and Miller lays it off to Kennedy... and the rest is history.
One of the greatest goals I´ve ever seen us produce.
Mark Kennedys strike is simply football sublime.
The way the ball finds it way behind Paddy Kenny...a fantastic goal.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One goal against us that always sticks in my mind is the one in 1972 when we played Leeds who only had to draw to win the league but we beat them 2-1. That was the night of 53,000 in the ground but really more like 65,000.
It was Bremner at the South Bank end who put his shot into the top of the net then slid in the mud directly towards me and appeared to be looking right at me. I can still see his smiling face now, fortunately that goal wasn't enough.

Those were the days.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those were the days.

Another little thing I remember from the days growing up is that Scotland seemed great at playing football.
I have wondered from time to time..what the F happened with all that?
Scotland were,as I remember it..the pop team of Argentina 78.They speculated in Sweden before the tourney that Scotland could reach very far indeed...a team with a very high..high.
Turned out they basically ****ed their chances away I recon,but not before giving Holland a football lesson.

WTF has happened to scottish football since then?
Todays players are not anywhere close in class to the Billy Bremners and so on.
It is quite the decline.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forest away in the fa cup early 90’s, we gave Pearce so much abuse, Nigel got their winner but just remember the abuse we gave Pearce.
A weird one was the first time I heard boing boing after I think Bradley scored, I just wanted to rip my ears out what a **** song
Meeting Cookys parents in the Mersey Clipper.

Wolves, what a great life it is

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember coming home on the train from Goodison Park in 1979. I sat next to Bob Hazel. I can remember going to a night match away at Crystal Palace. I can remember some Wolves fans next to the Wolves player's coach, telling Neil Emblem as he got on the coach that he was a lazy runt. I can remember being at Reading train station, when we played a night match at Elm Park. In the afternoon I bumped in to Sir Jack, on his own and talked to him for 5 minutes. I can remember flying to the UK, to watch Wolves play Middlesbrough away, I think on a Friday night, in front of the smallest ever Wolves away attendance, it was live on TV too, I think. I flew to the UK, hired a car from the south of England, drove up to the Riverside Stadium and got there for the second half. A nice Wolves fan, of whom I had his telephone number, talked to a marshall, who let me in. We lost, but it was worth it. I remember the Swindon away match in division 1, when we beat them 1-4. When the Wolves players came over to the Wolves fans at the end, We proudly sang that's 9 in a row. Little did we know, that in just a few years, we would be playing European football, with back to back 7th's in the Premier league.

Last edited:

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another goal I'll never forget, was the free kick that Paul Parker deflected over Shilton. Italia 90 World Cup v Germany. Broke a young blokes dream :(

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves v Sheff Utd FA CUP 4th Round, 1966. Peter Knowles hits a thunderbolt, Eddie Hodgkinson dives, misses it, the ball cannons of the post, hits Eddie plum on the **** while he's still in mid-air, and rolls back into the net. 3-0 game over!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember around 1987/88 we always used to play " You Win Again " by the BeeGees, and we usually did!

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves v Man City, January 1960, it had been snowing but they had cleared the pitch. Wolves get a penalty, Eddie Clamp takes. I am on 'the wall' behind the goal, aged 11. Eddie smacks it into the corner of the net, right in front of me, the ball hits a pile of frozen snow and I get hit full in the face by it. Bert Trautmann, the City goalie sees this and laughs out loud!

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A Southend player shoving Mark Atkins into the away end fence at Roots Hall.

Denis Wise laughing at the south bank singing “one Jimmy Krankie” when he went to take a corner.

A Wolves fan jumping out the stand at Norwich when they equalised to smack the linesman (got jumped on by police before he made it). It was the 3-2 game when Bully scored 2.

The chap running on the pitch at Tranmere and pulling the keepers shorts down.

2 Huddersfield players fighting each other on the pitch a Molineux.

Holding on to a 1 goal lead at Molineux in the premier league season under Dave Jones. Injury time and Paul Butler slices a clearance behind for a needless corner. Never heard so many people say “for ****s sake” at the same time.

Mike Stowell making the best save Iv ever seen against Bolton at Molineux. Pitch was waterlogged.

The bloke going on the pitch to fight Uriah Rennie, getting closer and then realising that Rennie is a big ****er and not fancying it anymore.

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Very random one from me - at the Blooze in their end on a cold cold night, right by the pitch; one of theirs is sent haring through down the line on our side and is about to cross, and Keith Curle comes steaming across from the penalty area like a rocket, steam billowing from him, sweat flying, and wipes him out with that Keith-Curle-snarl on his face; getting straight up and glaring at us in the crowd, steam still billowing. The speed and [controlled; just about] aggression was mesmeric so close. I don't remember which of their players it was, but I do remember he didn't try that again that night. He was some player for us was Keith Curle.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another little thing I remember from the days growing up is that Scotland seemed great at playing football.
I have wondered from time to time..what the F happened with all that?
Scotland were,as I remember it..the pop team of Argentina 78.They speculated in Sweden before the tourney that Scotland could reach very far indeed...a team with a very high..high.
Turned out they basically ****ed their chances away I recon,but not before giving Holland a football lesson.

WTF has happened to scottish football since then?
Todays players are not anywhere close in class to the Billy Bremners and so on.
It is quite the decline.

I can’t explain the demise of Scottish football, but I have a theory.

The 1970s Scotland team was full of great players who played in England for Leeds, Liverpool, Arsenal etc

Then after English clubs started to dominate in Europe, a rule was bought in with a maximum number of foreign players in a squad.

Didn’t really affect European clubs, but Scottish, Irish and Welsh players were considered “Foreign”(separate FAs). So the big English clubs cut the numbers. Think the rule applied to domestic competition too.

I might be misremembering though.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From a report at the time (not quite as I remember it, but it is a long time ago). Sad story in part. Shame they couldnt spell Molineux correctly...:-

A Wolves defender uncermoniously barged Mike Summerbee off the pitch and into the stand where he collided head first with a metal post. He was led off the field looking like a stunt man in a Sam Peckinpah film with blood spurting in a fountain from a deep cut in the top of his head.
FATHERS SONS

Ten rows back a woman was three months pregnant was so traumatised by the sight that she suffered a miscarriage. Informed about it later, Mike took the trouble to send her flowers.
…The doctor inserted seventeen stitches into Mike’s head pulling them through with a pair of metal pliers.
Roy Cheetham trotted out to take Mike’s place in a slightly rearranged City side and thereby made history by becoming the first substitute ever to be used by Manchester City. Of more relevance to everyone else was the fact that City left Molyneaux with a 4-2 victory.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves v Sheff Utd FA CUP 4th Round, 1966. Peter Knowles hits a thunderbolt, Eddie Hodgkinson dives, misses it, the ball cannons of the post, hits Eddie plum on the **** while he's still in mid-air, and rolls back into the net. 3-0 game over!
was that a saturday night match?

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Wolves fan at Leyton Orient, the day we won 2-0 in 1988, spraying some of our fans in a snack bar queue with a hose pipe.
That was funny enough but when two women police officers asked him to stop, he dutifully sprayed their trousers.
I thought he was going to be arrested but fortunately they saw the funny side of it, and it passed off peacefully.

On the football special coming back from Ipswich after the FA Cup match in January 1977 where we took a truly massive following.
At a station in the dark, middle of no where, the train made an unspecified stop, so some Wolves fans left the train to get some snacks.
The platform was covered in snow, so when the train started off slowly, it was hilarious to see fans slipping and sliding to get back on with some left behind.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves fan at Leyton Orient, the day we won 2-0 in 1988, spraying some of our fans in a snack bar queue with a hose pipe.
That was funny enough but when two women police officers asked him to stop, he dutifully sprayed their trousers.
I thought he was going to be arrested but fortunately they saw the funny side of it, and it passed off peacefully.

On the football special coming back from Ipswich after the FA Cup match in January 1977 where we took a truly massive following.
At a station in the dark, middle of no where, the train made an unspecified stop, so some Wolves fans left the train to get some snacks.
The platform was covered in snow, so when the train started off slowly, it was hilarious to see fans slipping and sliding to get back on with some left behind.
may have been the match where they kept the Ipswich fans locked in after the game because of the large number of away fans

Back
Top Bottom