Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Thoughts on where this situation will go for football.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does seem strange to have such a lack of consistency between the proposed approaches at different levels. Particularly within the EFL itself.

Non-League: Null and void.
L2 and L1: Points per game.
Championship: Behind Closed Doors (Home and Away).
Premier League: Neutral Venues

I think National League has just ended -as soon as they know what L1 and 2 decide to do -they can take their own decisions on promotion and relegation.

Explanation for different approaches is that lower leagues get 40 percent of their income thru the gate whereas Prem get most of theirs from tv.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How would we all feel of it was wolves in bottom 3 but with a game in hand and talk was that of they ended it now we'd be relegated??
Its not like it's a couple of games into the season. And yes of course we would want the season made void and no relegation. But I'd like to think most of us on here could be honest enough to admit it was just about dodging a currently deserved relegation. No waffling about sporting integrity, loss of home advantage or other bull (unlike a couple of Villa fans I know).

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coventry be in the championship if that happens

Yep - Coventry City and Rotherham United would go up automatically, with Play Off spots filled by Wycombe Wanderers, Oxford United, Portsmouth and Fleetwood Town. Tranmere Rovers, Southend United and Bolton Wanderers will go down.

In League 2: Swindon Town, Crewe Alexander and Plymouth Argyle will secure automatic promotion, with the Play-Off spots filled by Cheltenham Town, Exeter City, Colchester United and Northampton Town. Stevenage would be relegated to the National League.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep - Coventry City and Rotherham United would go up automatically, with Play Off spots filled by Wycombe Wanderers, Oxford United, Portsmouth and Fleetwood Town. Tranmere Rovers, Southend United and Bolton Wanderers will go down.

In League 2: Swindon Town, Crewe Alexander and Plymouth Argyle will secure automatic promotion, with the Play-Off spots filled by Cheltenham Town, Exeter City, Colchester United and Northampton Town. Stevenage would be relegated to the National League.

Suspect playoffs if they happen will be one off games at neutral venues -behind closed doors obviously.

Hope Barrow come up from National and Wealdstone from Nat League South.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does seem strange to have such a lack of consistency between the proposed approaches at different levels. Particularly within the EFL itself.

I felt non league should of been points per game as there was only a few games left for most clubs.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Absolutely spot on. Surely football at all levels should have the same approach, though personally, I stand by my opinion that the season should be declared null and void. It is just not worth the risk.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely spot on. Surely football at all levels should have the same approach, though personally, I stand by my opinion that the season should be declared null and void. It is just not worth the risk.

Couldn't agree less -below chump they have to stop or go bust . Prem have to play or there will be big financial consequences .Chump play to get to the Prem.And no one anywhere is going null and void .

Update -National league have abolished playoffs this season.So likely Barrow will go to L2 and hopefully champions of North and South into National League.

Last edited:

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Anyone know what the betting companies policy is on settling ante post bets for league winners etc? I’ve got about £50 worth of various cross league accas running. One or two covering leagues not finishing. Will they return stakes or potentially pay out on whatever league places are decided. A friend of mine has an ante post Acca that prior to the suspension had a real chance of paying out thousands.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Small edit - there would be no play-offs under the proposal meaning according to The Athletic's article, Oxford United will be back in the Championship and Cheltenham Town sneaking past Exeter City to clinch the 4th spot to League One.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone know what the betting companies policy is on settling ante post bets for league winners etc? I’ve got about £50 worth of various cross league accas running. One or two covering leagues not finishing. Will they return stakes or potentially pay out on whatever league places are decided. A friend of mine has an ante post Acca that prior to the suspension had a real chance of paying out thousands.
If the betting companies can get out of paying they will especially skybet. Paddy power seem a little better though.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the betting companies can get out of paying they will especially skybet. Paddy power seem a little better though.
Most likely all relevant bets will be void and you get your stake back. Presumably leagues that complete behind closed doors will stand (your unlikely to get a sympathetic hearing using the Villa or Brighton type arguments but give it a shot if you're going to lose a lot

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Me too,got a double -Coventry and Wealdstone.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cant speak for all of them but used to work at William Hill and likes of paddy Power generally always honour the bets

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sword coming down bigtime for clubs in July and August according to chairman of Posh.

It will mess up my quest to get to 92.

Who knows..perhaps the goalline has been reached allready...except Anfield road that is.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FIFA will allow leagues the option of using five substitutes when they start up again. Also the VAR system may be temporarily suspended. Had it not been for VAR Wolves would have been in the top five so it seems unfair to change it for the last nine games.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Sword coming down bigtime for clubs in July and August according to chairman of Posh.

It will mess up my quest to get to 92.

Who knows..perhaps the goalline has been reached allready...except Anfield road that is.
Nothing is definite of course, because no one knows to what extent the EFL, F.A. or even Premier League may assist, but there are going to be a couple of dozen teams going out of business this year. I know one that is basically doomed to fold unless they are bailed out somehow. Not great for the football fan.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FIFA will allow leagues the option of using five substitutes when they start up again. Also the VAR system may be temporarily suspended. Had it not been for VAR Wolves would have been in the top five so it seems unfair to change it for the last nine games.
And Vile would be out of relegation so I suppose there’s that consolation.

bully9

Reaction score
What will happen to villa? They will surely take legal action if there is a points per game enforced for the remaining games and they are relegated as a result. Their rich owners won't stand for it.
who gives a **** about them

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do people on here keep going on about Villa? It may have been funny or even clever 2 months ago but it's ****ing boring now.
Sorry sir

FB31116C-0B18-421A-9729-613BB998A676.gif
*edit - perhaps it’s because they and the **** are our 2 closest rivals. Villa are involved in potential relegation and the **** possible promotion- just a thought

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
This is exactly what I've been saying for months. Not doom mongering it's true
This could be the end of football as a live spectator sport. Could be the end of all sport being a live spectator sport.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry sir

View attachment 15204
*edit - perhaps it’s because they and the **** are our 2 closest rivals. Villa are involved in potential relegation and the **** possible promotion- just a thought
As I said before, perhaps it was mildly interesting the first 200 times but I think it's somewhat tedious now. Just my view though.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This could be the end of football as a live spectator sport. Could be the end of all sport being a live spectator sport.
Now thats doom mongering lol
Seriously it will be a long hard road but we will get back to normal at some stage,we had a World War and then a Spanish Flu epedemic that killed millions in 1918 yet we carried on,Influenza kills tens of thousands every year yet we carry on without hardly a thought,this will over time be the same

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This has got to be the worst time in the history of the premier league for relegation. Money would drain like water through their hands. No wonder the bottom 6 are bricking it!

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Seriously it will be a long hard road but we will get back to normal at some stage,we had a World War and then a Spanish Flu epedemic that killed millions in 1918 yet we carried on,Influenza kills tens of thousands every year yet we carry on without hardly a thought,this will over time be the same

+1.

The crazy paranoia with this is as bad as the bloody thing itself!!

There will be solutions and ‘normality’ as we knew it should return in time. Those that feel or are vulnerable will just need to take extra precautions on the road to normality.

We will recover and move on.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Was a bit dramatic, I admit. It maybe the end of football as a live spectator sport, as we know it. In other words, for the next few years- very reduced crowds, difficult to get food, toilet facilities, travel times increased a lot, etc. Don’t really fancy attending games in a face mask either :)

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
+1.

There will be solutions and ‘normality’ as we knew it should return in time. Those that feel or are vulnerable will just need to take extra precautions on the road to normality.

So you keep saying over and over again. Time will tell.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
+1.

Optimism is fine. Unjustified by any logical basis other than 'it was ok in the past' though....

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Influenza is not contagious like this. Neither is it the same as the Nazis and the threat of people wearing bombs as hats.

Nothing in the past is like this.
We could see football played in front of green screen with CG crowds if there is a year or more of this

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Influenza is not contagious like this. Neither is it the same as the Nazis and the threat of people wearing bombs as hats.

Nothing in the past is like this.
We could see football played in front of green screen with CG crowds if there is a year or more of this
There'll be a vaccine or herd immunity. Either way mass gatherings will be back

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
lol end of spectator sport? Truly some Project Fear stuff, to use a term I loathe. Life is going to be upside down for a while. It is what it is. But live sport will return eventually. And it will not return with the first vaccine. It's going to take time for people to be vaccinated, with several different companies having different vaccines out to match demand. But we will get there :)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok maths done. If split home and away they get another 15.172 points and we get 13.335. That would mean 7th for us...

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There'll be a vaccine or herd immunity. Either way mass gatherings will be back

I agree..what is the alternatives anyways?
Truth is there is none.
Another lockdown in autumn and winter will mean starvation.
The world needs to get busy living with the Covid 19 virus.
The alternative is to give up and die.

D

Deleted member 5635

lol end of spectator sport? Truly some Project Fear stuff, to use a term I loathe. Life is going to be upside down for a while. It is what it is. But live sport will return eventually. And it will not return with the first vaccine. It's going to take time for people to be vaccinated, with several different companies having different vaccines out to match demand. But we will get there :)
I'm surprised some people haven't starved to death with the current fear of the outside world and touching anything that's not 100% disinfected.

Keep that up for too long and your immune system will go to **** the next time any bacteria comes near you.

Back
Top Bottom