Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leicester Verdict

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A well earned point which I think would have been 3 if we hadn’t played on Thursday.

Based on that, I’d be a bit surprised and disappointed if we finish below Leicester.

VAR: Am I going to be able to celebrate a goal properly ever again?
No. There will always be doubt.

At least there will be an equal measure of doubt whenever the opposition score.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We can say for sure the ball hit Boly's shoulder and that it ran perpendicular to part of his upper arm. But you can't say it clearly hit his arm and was therefore handball. As such it was an incorrect decision.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to say this. Cutrone has two opportunities to run at defence but he has a glaring lack of pace which you need at PL level. I understand he’s a fox in the box type but he won’t create anything 30 to 40 yards out as he’s not quick enough

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As for the game, thought Jimenez was pretty awful, wrong sub by Nuno taking Jota off instead of Jimenez.

You also got to see the Maguire replacement, Soyuncu absolutely bossed Raul unfortunately and looked a class act. Second best player on the pitch IMO after the outstanding Boly.

He goes under the radar because he's with us but I honestly wouldn't swap him for anyone apart from Van Dijk.

Felt we sat off them too much, too defensive at times. We went with the attitude that a point was very good (and it was) but when Leicester weren't at it I would have liked us to do a bit more to try and win.

Overall, tough away game, rare away clean sheet and a solid performance.

Fair point about Raul. Not his day at all. I think Nuno probably took Jota off to protect him for future games, and also because at the stage, after the VAR incident, the team was riled and Jota finds it harder to keep his cool at times like that. Thought Cutrone did ok when he came on.

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

What was over the top? People have been lauding Leicester and saying how good they'll be with Rodgers in charge.
And we didn't play for a draw, setting up to contain and then springing traps is how we play against decent sides that want to keep the ball. I reckon Nuno will be delighted with the performance and we were a decent finish away from the perfect day

Suggesting we should have won quite comfortably.

A draw was fair IMO, agree we edged it if anything though because of clearer chances.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weird game. A highly typical Wolves game. Set up to contain and break, which looks great and slick when it works but turgid and scattered when it doesn't.

Leicester outpassed us. Tielemans and Ndidi ran the midfield, Periera was an absolute menace and had Johnny on the back foot throughout, Soyuncu was solid... but we created the better pure chances and should have won by a couple of goals with our standard counter-attack. Jota and Raul were physically fine, but mentally a step behind after the midweek travel, and their decision making was poor in front of goal. Donk's disallowed goal was well executed but he was shattered and clumsy otherwise, gave the ball away a half dozen times. Boly was terrific, Bennett deserves credit for marshalling Vardy, but our defence are always good.

For me, the glaring evidence is that Rodgers set up irritatingly well, pinning back Johnny and Doc and smothering midfield, pushing us twenty yards back towards our goal throughout the game, save for our dominant fifteen minutes after half time where we should have won it. He was able to do that because he knew what our team would be, and how we would play. Everyone does. We play one way. We have no variation, no guile. We defend, we press, we counter, and it's bloody effective at times, but it's all we are. Substitutions are like-for-like. Same faces, same formation, same, same, same.

We are a good team, but we are predictable. This summer was our opportunity to add a new dimension to our play and we ****ed it.
On the flip side of this, save the corner count, Leicester, at home, created nothing at all.

Our back five stopped them really getting down the sides or in behind. Vardy didn’t get a kick. So Nuno would be very happy with this.

We were never going to make 15, 20 chances, so we needed to be more clinical with the few good opportunities we fashioned.

Let’s not laud Rodgers as the second coming. Two good managers butted heads today and it was a good draw for both teams in the end.

On to the next instalment.

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
OK, get that. We check every goal but still didn't think decisions would be overruled unless a clear error was made? i.e. A hand of God or a Boly vs Man City?

Even if it did hit him the ref didn't make a clear error as the time it took a panel with slow motion to decide suggests that a regular human couldn't have reliably seen it at normal speed i.e. It was not an obvious error by the ref.
fair points

I was thinking any contact with hand/arm was the way it was being interpreted

Coeur de Loup

Reaction score
I have to say this. Cutrone has two opportunities to run at defence but he has a glaring lack of pace which you need at PL level. I understand he’s a fox in the box type but he won’t create anything 30 to 40 yards out as he’s not quick enough
I totally agree with this - I'm not convinced yet. Having said that I thought the same about jiminez in the early days.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Was in the home end right behind Nuno. Never seen him so ****ed off with the ref. He was shouting at the ref probably calling him a ****er in Portuguese. Perez hand balled it 3 times in one movement and the ref did nothing from which they could have scored.

We seemed solid at the back and the locals weren't very happy with their performance. They created nothing, we had the better chances. They thought we looked tired. I also thought Donks looked sluggish and should use his strength more.

Overall good point but feel disappointed...

Never complain about refs but he had

I never u

Yam Avinaloff

Groupie
Reaction score
giphy.gif

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

He's probably not fully fit yet. I expect he will look sharper in the coming weeks

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ref was terrible.
Leicester are bang average and if they're the biggest threat to the top 6 then I retract my statement about being happy just getting top half as we could easily get best of the rest again.
VAR can suck a dick.
Nuno is God and has managed us and Europe so well, this result gives me such confidence in our ability.

Overall, tough place to go, got a result, onwards to 3 points against United.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This. If you read the transfer thread, Leicester and Everton have done such good business compared to us that we haven't a hope in hell of competing with them. Yet, after 6000 miles, at their home, we created more chances and were unlucky to draw! Good result with everything against us, inc Marriner. Solid start to the season imo.

Yes but on the flip side of that you could argue their team is still bedding in and we fielded the same team as last year, as well as being a lot further along in terms of match fitness

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough result, we created better chances but they put us under a lot of pressure. Do think we would have won that later in the season when our forwards were sharper.

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

Fair enough result, we created better chances but they put us under a lot of pressure. Do think we would have won that later in the season when our forwards were sharper.

Jota has never been always clinical in front of goal, I thought he was very good and I bet he was gutted to go off and Leicester were delighted.

Jimenez, you're probably right, we would do better because he was nowhere near at it.

Cutrone should have replaced him after about 55.

Feel a bit sorry for Cutrone, two sub appearances and barely a chance to link with Jota.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weird game. A highly typical Wolves game. Set up to contain and break, which looks great and slick when it works but turgid and scattered when it doesn't.

Leicester outpassed us. Tielemans and Ndidi ran the midfield, Periera was an absolute menace and had Johnny on the back foot throughout, Soyuncu was solid... but we created the better pure chances and should have won by a couple of goals with our standard counter-attack. Jota and Raul were physically fine, but mentally a step behind after the midweek travel, and their decision making was poor in front of goal. Donk's disallowed goal was well executed but he was shattered and clumsy otherwise, gave the ball away a half dozen times. Boly was terrific, Bennett deserves credit for marshalling Vardy, but our defence are always good.

For me, the glaring evidence is that Rodgers set up irritatingly well, pinning back Johnny and Doc and smothering midfield, pushing us twenty yards back towards our goal throughout the game, save for our dominant fifteen minutes after half time where we should have won it. He was able to do that because he knew what our team would be, and how we would play. Everyone does. We play one way. We have no variation, no guile. We defend, we press, we counter, and it's bloody effective at times, but it's all we are. Substitutions are like-for-like. Same faces, same formation, same, same, same.

We are a good team, but we are predictable. This summer was our opportunity to add a new dimension to our play and we ****ed it.

Time will soon tell if we have become so predictable that we are easy to play against, nullify and takes points off. Leicester fans were surprised by how negatively we had set up compared to last season but were grateful our front two were not very good and, of course, VAR was on their side!

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So predictable we finished 7th in the Premier League last year

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Did you forget posting Leicester failed to score? That we earned a very good point away after a 6,000 mile round trip in the week? That no matter how predictable if you are good enough you will always cause opposition trouble?

Perhaps you forgot to type in we have played Newcastle, Man City, three Europa cup games and Leicester first up in the PL and have yet to lose a game.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Italian football is different to British football. He will take time to adjust.

C

Can't B Arsed Wolf

Watched the Boly "handball" a number of times now, the only conclusion I can come to is: no matter whether the offending player is actually facing the ball when contact is made, no matter if the offending part of body, arm/hand is no more than 12 inches away, so reaction is counted in milliseconds, the decision is its a deliberate hand ball? I can only assume the original FA rules, which have governed our game for around 150 years are now largely obsolete in favour of a set rules where no contact is allowed in any circumstance and a ball hitting arm/hand is considered a foul even when the player has no idea any contact, by dint of facing in the opposite direction, BUT a hand ball, deliberate or otherwise, is allowed in open play which may or may not end up resulting in a goal. All this because referees, employed on very good contracts are incapable of refereeing a football game. I was ambivalent about VAR, I still am to be honest but the signs are not good that it will improve football, in fact, it could reduce it to a stop/start stuttering bore fest, all because its run by complete inept morons.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the Talksport site:-

"There’s no doubting we will see a lot more of these incidents over the course of the season, and while this technology isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, it can’t be denied that it adds to the drama and excitement of a Premier League match day."

Oh yes it can be denied. It takes far too long to reach a decision, disrupts the flow of play and kills off goalscoring celebrations as we wait to see if there is a problem every time a goal is scored. VAR is a good idea but unfortunately it has been implemented by people who have allowed it far too much scope to spoil matches!

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just got back. Draw probably fair. They had most possession. We wasted at least 4 chances. I hate VAR. i hated it before today. It will ruin the game

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was ambivalent about VAR, I still am to be honest but the signs are not good that it will improve football, in fact, it could reduce it to a stop/start stuttering bore fest, all because its run by complete inept morons.
whereas if put we some guy off an internet forum in charge it would be so much better....

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Everyone has the right to an opinion but no-one deserves to be written off after 2 substitute appearances.

It took Diogo nearly half a season to get going in the prem in familiar surroundings with his friends and countrymen around him.

What do some of you want?!

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone has the right to an opinion but no-one deserves to be written off after 2 substitute appearances.

It took Diogo nearly half a season to get going in the prem in familiar surroundings with his friends and countrymen around him.

What do some of you want?!
Reminiscent of our first sight of Raul being when he came on as a substitute for Mexico at the world cup and more than a few bright sparks wrote him off there and then

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A bit harsh but there is some truth in what you say. That is why I was keen on signing an attacking AM like Olmo who coming from deep would give the opposition something new to think about and offer a goalscoring threat. Our only attacking plan B seems to be to bring on Traore and hope his pace will create something out wide.

Our system is effective but opponents will increasingly nulilify it over the course of a season. Hopefully Nuno will keep innovating amd perhaps make a decisive signing or two in January.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
whereas if put we some guy off an internet forum in charge it would be so much better....

But he wasn't suggesting he should be in charge? There's so much noise about VAR yet clearly it still cannot be trusted where there is judgement required. I'm all for goal line tech where it either crossed the line or it didn't but we are still arguing over ambiguity.

If it was handball no matter where, how or why it hit your arm then there is no debate. But there are still technicalities which cause debate. Simplify it to fact, it hit the arm or it didn't and its cleaner. Forget this ball to hand and natural position stuff and we can rule with fact.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always like to read the opposition forum after s game like that to get a balanced view.

Wolves Post Match 0-0

Their fans are as disappointed as us, the majority saying a draw was fair with a few saying we could have won it.

They also have a separate thread on VAR and the vast majority think it’s ruined the game, same as us.

C

Can't B Arsed Wolf

Exactly what is your problem with my post? At no point did I imply anything about me being in charge, I suggest you get a grown up to read posts before replying, or are you a interloper from another clubs forum?

R

reanswolf

A bit harsh but there is some truth in what you say. That is why I was keen on signing an attacking AM like Olmo who coming from deep would give the opposition something new to think about and offer a goalscoring threat. Our only attacking plan B seems to be to bring on Traore and hope his pace will create something out wide.

Our system is effective but opponents will increasingly nulilify it over the course of a season. Hopefully Nuno will keep innovating amd perhaps make a decisive signing or two in January.
I totally agree. Our weakness lies in central midfield, where we were clearly 2nd best.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jota was superb away from goal but when it came to accurate shooting he was absolutely awful.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Always like to read the opposition forum after s game like that to get a balanced view.

Wolves Post Match 0-0

Their fans are as disappointed as us, the majority saying a draw was fair with a few saying we could have won it.

They also have a separate thread on VAR and the vast majority think it’s ruined the game, same as us.
Disagree we played for a point, we had the better chances.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thought players looked a bit off pace/form at times- particularly Jimenez, Jota and Dendonker - not saying they didn't run or try enough, just not as good as we've come to expect. VAR decision was correct, but I don't understand why it was VAR'd in the first place. I think VAR should be used like reviews in cricket, where a team has to ask for something to be reviewed and they only get a certain number of reviews per game - perhaps 1 each per half. Overwise, a good point, which I'd have settled for before the game... As others have said, Nuno surely needs to play a changed 11 mid-week so we're fresh for Utd...

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
We should have won that....Jota has to hit the target.

That VAR decision was ridiculous. Seriously ****ed off we haven't the 3 points again from there. :(

Back
Top Bottom