Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Accounts due today

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A rough calculation says you could make one out of the finest silk for £300,000. But that doesn't include goal posts. Or the white lines.

When I'm a millionaire I'm gonna make a massive subbuteo pitch out of silk and cocaine.

EDIT: - According to my rough calculations, to line a pitch with cocaine it would cost 13.2 million pounds. Maybe I won't after after all.

Keep it away from Robbie Fowler..

JR’s Boots

Groupie
Reaction score
If I understand what Wolves have done is spend £30M in FFP terms last season, whilst still remaining under the rolling 3 year limit.

In return the club went from 15th in the champ to 7th in the prem (and QF in the FA Cup) and increased turnover from circa £25M to £125M.

Meanwhile the squad is worth 2 or 3 times what was paid.

Seems pretty smart to me. Please carry on the good work

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I understand what Wolves have done is spend £30M in FFP terms last season, whilst still remaining under the rolling 3 year limit.

In return the club went from 15th in the champ to 7th in the prem (and QF in the FA Cup) and increased turnover from circa £25M to £125M.

Yeah but we turned a profit under Morgan & Jez

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What were the losses profits the 2 years before? Sorry I bet it’s been mentioned but it’s a long read

D

Deleted member 3751

What were the losses profits the 2 years before? Sorry I bet it’s been mentioned but it’s a long read
15/16: +£5.8m
16/17: -£23.2m

(May not be totally accurate but these are the figures I've just pulled off the net)

Overall we're at around a £70m loss for the three year rolling period. That's operating losses though and when you take away FFP exemptions (like the £20m ish payable in bonuses and other payments on promotion as well as youth investment etc) we're probably under the £39m FFP threshold for losses

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score

Think that’s what people on the outside don’t get. We’ve not really spent money as much as invested it. Pretty much every player we’ve signed we could get outs money back or make a profit if we sold them, and we’ve invested in better pitch, training facilities, academy, etc. £50m loss sounds a lot but we’ve got bloody good value for the money. Other clubs have spent and are in a worse position.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
15/16: +£5.8m
16/17: -£23.2m

(May not be totally accurate but these are the figures I've just pulled off the net)

Overall we're at around a £70m loss for the three year rolling period. That's operating losses though and when you take away FFP exemptions (like the £20m ish payable in bonuses and other payments on promotion as well as youth investment etc) we're probably under the £39m FFP threshold for losses

It would be really interesting to see a full breakdown of the expenditure which is exempt from the FFP criteria. As I understand it, the following are all exempt:

Stadium upgrades
Training ground upgrade
Academy expenditure as a whole, both operational and upgrades
Community outreach
Women's football

And then probably the single biggest offset: promotion bonusses for players and staff.

Of course, when looked at from this perspective, and managed in this way, the FFP regulations dont seem
quite so daunting, and give well-managed clubs quite a lot of sway in building a club up for a promotion attempt.

Also interesting to know how well the whole thing is audited, and how much scope for creative accounting is waved through.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And the original £30m investment has increased by a multiple of at least 8.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is very blatant, but
Technically could you sign a player as a coach to your womens team and then internally transfer or formally loan or sell for a very low fee to your mens team?
To get round ffp.
I realise it's wrong and almost certainly not allowed.

D

Deleted member 3751

It would be really interesting to see a full breakdown of the expenditure which is exempt from the FFP criteria. As I understand it, the following are all exempt:

Stadium upgrades
Training ground upgrade
Academy expenditure as a whole, both operational and upgrades
Community outreach
Women's football

And then probably the single biggest offset: promotion bonusses for players and staff.

Of course, when looked at from this perspective, and managed in this way, the FFP regulations dont seem
quite so daunting, and give well-managed clubs quite a lot of sway in building a club up for a promotion attempt.

Also interesting to know how well the whole thing is audited, and how much scope for creative accounting is waved through.
You can also ask for things to be exempt, I would imagine we asked for the pay off to the Money Shop to be exempted (and due to the timing would have had no reason for it to be refused).

Details in here

EFL Official Website - Appendix 5 - Financial Fair Play Regulations

FFP isn't daunting - unless you have a massive, unsustainable wage bill

Over to you, Villa

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And the original £30m investment has increased by a multiple of at least 8.
This is the only thing regarding Fosun that worry me-
They say they're in with their 10 year plan, but what if the value of Wolves increases to such a point, that Fosun say OK we're now at a level of return that we can now sell?

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
They say they're in with their 10 year plan, but what if the value of Wolves increases to such a point, that Fosun say OK we're now at a level of return that we can now sell?
I'm tempted to say that at that time we would have made it, in fact they, Fosun, and us have made it! Any buyer who could afford such an investment would not wish to waste it's money so it would continue running it on the same lines which would mean we would stay a successful business. What about a few shares I wonder?
But, my guess is Fosun will reap the rewards for as long as they can, why not?

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm tempted to say that at that time we would have made it, in fact they, Fosun, and us have made it! Any buyer who could afford such an investment would not wish to waste it's money so it would continue running it on the same lines which would mean we would stay a successful business. What about a few shares I wonder?
But, my guess is Fosun will reap the rewards for as long as they can, why not?
I agree with everything you have said, suppose its witnessing the ups and downs over the years, that means i will always have a nagging doubt.
Anyways, gonna enjoy the ride and live every moment.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Better to have a chicken that lays gold eggs than sell the chicken.

The amount Fosun will continue to invest to make us competitive will mean they would only break even anyway.

They probably want to try and build something similar to what Man City have, albeit not as large. A global business/brand, with a huge turnover, that opens doors to large sponsorship, marketing and partnership deals. They may even leverage debt against us (like the Glazers have done at Man Utd) to provide an ongoing dividend for investors.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those Fulham fans made me laugh. I don't think they have the first clue how ffp works. Less so than the rest of us.
It's clear from the accounts submitted by every team, that there must be some other breakdown that has to be submitted to the EFL or PL?
Given the amount of supposition by everyone, no one actual knows 100% the true picture and certainly not from the company accounts, which are after all for the good people :rolleyes: of the HMRC and not the EFL - would be good to see the actual FFP figures so it can be clear to everyone.

B

BristolInPeace

Hi again.

My personal take is that you didn't break it, but you were close- within say a few £million over the 3 year period. Talking of FFP breachers, I wonder about Fulham...if their transfer profit fell last season then it could have been a tight squeeze.

D

Deleted member 3751

Hi again.

My personal take is that you didn't break it, but you were close- within say a few £million over the 3 year period. Talking of FFP breachers, I wonder about Fulham...if their transfer profit fell last season then it could have been a tight squeeze.
Nothing wrong with being close ;). I think we all accept we were getting towards the limits and knew that no promotion would have meant a couple of star player sales last summer for us to continue this season.

Speaking of Fulham, they will get relegated with a crippling wage bill and will have some issues with FFP themselves, but with a bit of luck on your part you won't have to worry about them at all

All the best for the rest of the season

D

Deleted member 3751

Those Fulham fans made me laugh. I don't think they have the first clue how ffp works. Less so than the rest of us.
It's clear from the accounts submitted by every team, that there must be some other breakdown that has to be submitted to the EFL or PL?
Given the amount of supposition by everyone, no one actual knows 100% the true picture and certainly not from the company accounts, which are after all for the good people :rolleyes: of the HMRC and not the EFL - would be good to see the actual FFP figures so it can be clear to everyone.
I think clubs just pass on their full financial results and the EFL then go through them. It's better than clubs submitting FFP projections as they could get er, creative with where they spent their money.

You're right about those Fulham fans though, clueless

B

BristolInPeace

Nothing wrong with being close ;). I think we all accept we were getting towards the limits and knew that no promotion would have meant a couple of star player sales last summer for us to continue this season.

Speaking of Fulham, they will get relegated with a crippling wage bill and will have some issues with FFP themselves, but with a bit of luck on your part you won't have to worry about them at all

All the best for the rest of the season

Yeah, plenty of clubs in the same boat no doubt- we were close to our limit hence the sale of Reid, Bryan, Flint etc. Done remarkably well considering the turnover IMO!

In reality, I think they probably did pass it but less likely than yourselves. Big trouble when they come down surely, though if the expensive signings go then it'd steady their ship a bit but likely to have issues. On paper, a blueprint of how not to do things- a year ago in no way did I think their side looked like a 2nd bottom PL one, yet they spent all that money and partly through lack of cohesion and a ridiculous churn seemed to get worse! Fingers crossed we'll be seeing you in the PL next year...

Yeah, same to you- hope you finish 7th and win the Cup.

D

Deleted member 3518

And to yourselves- still my tip for best of the rest and maybe, you never know the Cup!

Finish above...that's one option. Beat them in the playoff final- that'd be even sweeter, no? :D

That'd be wonderful,l then an away game in August at your place and a day on the beer in the sun.:D

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was once reported that he was the richest man in football...as footballers go. This is because he put all of his surplus cash into property.

He invested a huge amount in property. City fans used to sing "We all live in a Robbie Fowler house!"

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And to yourselves- still my tip for best of the rest and maybe, you never know the Cup!

Finish above...that's one option. Beat them in the playoff final- that'd be even sweeter, no? :D
Nah, want them nowhere near. ... they have a horrible habit of fluking results when it matters... Sandwell and Handsworth are not a good day out lol

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That'd be wonderful,l then an away game in August at your place and a day on the beer in the sun.:D
Sadly more likely Oct at Molineux and a wet Tue night fixture in Feb in Brizzle..

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought it was Liverpool fans who sang that

Quite possibly but I have high standards and don’t associate with them. My mate who is a City fan told me about it.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Swiss Ramble has crunched the numbers following our latest accounts (available on Twitter - link below). For those of you unfamiliar with his work, he is top class when it comes to commentary on footballing finances.

Swiss Ramble on Twitter

Some pretty high figures in there showing the extent of Fosun's ambitions.

No real cause for concern, other than this bit.....

Swiss Ramble Wolves Accounts.jpg

Still nothing to worry about though, as EFL Regulations read as follows:

EFL FFP Reg 5.4: Any amounts claimed to be included within Contributions from Equity Participants and / or Related Party(ies) must have been invested during the relevant Reporting Period or by 1st December immediately following the end of that relevant Reporting Period.

Which basically means, although the equity doesn't show up in this set of accounts, as long as Fosun have put equity in up to 1st December 2018, we will be fine. If it was done this season, I don't think that will show until next year's accounts.

I'm almost certain we will be working against the £39m figure.

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To summarise, we likely passed FFP last year by £2m. As you were...

Back
Top Bottom